• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

jerry1594

When you get it at half health I think it can regen it back. That's what I've heard, anyway.
Yeah. I saw some guys cheese it without it regenerating somehow. Anyway I ducked it, I'll come back to slay it with better bow and arrows.
Also, is it worth one handing the claymore? I'm 15 dex and str at this point I think.

Mistel

Banned
Yeah. I saw some guys cheese it without it regenerating somehow. Anyway I ducked it, I'll come back to slay it with better bow and arrows.
Also, is it worth one handing the claymore? I'm 15 dex and str at this point I think.
You need one more point of STR to meet the minimum requirements for the claymore. It tells you that in the display for it if the number is red you are below single hand requirements.

EVH

The plunging attack works like this - drop off the edge and as soon as you're in the air press attack. Don't try to hit attack as you come into contact with the enemy because that's too late. Locking on also helps for this particular plunge I find and I used to wait for him to look up as that tells you he's exactly under you and ready.

Also you're a Thief class? That's not the best class for a first playthrough. Class matters so very little - but if you're muddling through with the low HP and knife you get as a Thief it can feel harder than it should. I would try another weapon and put some points into vitality as soon as you can. Even a humble longsword will probably feel better, and it has a great varied moveset too.

Also buy a 100% physical block shield if you don't have one yet - Undead merchant sells the Heater Shield which also has relatively high fire defense and is pretty light to boot. Don't give up, it will click and when it does you'll feel awesome every time you smash a big monsters fat fucking face in! :)

I guess I took too much time to press the attack button then. I'm using a short sword. I got a long sword or something similar that was pretty nice, but I tried so many times that now it's almost broken and don't want to break it, as I have like 4 or 5 short swords already. Will try to beat him later like you said. If not, will just try with incendiary bombs.

Oh and btw, I took the thief class because almost always use that class in all games I can. And the master key item, which I don't know if it is really worth it - for example, hope that the residence in this level can be oppened with it, as I saw that the merchant was selling the key.

Thanks a lot!

kionedrik

I guess I took too much time to press the attack button then. I'm using a short sword. I got a long sword or something similar that was pretty nice, but I tried so many times that now it's almost broken and don't want to break it, as I have like 4 or 5 short swords already. Will try to beat him later like you said. If not, will just try with incendiary bombs.

Oh and btw, I took the thief class because almost always use that class in all games I can. And the master key item, which I don't know if it is really worth it - for example, hope that the residence in this level can be oppened with it, as I saw that the merchant was selling the key.

Thanks a lot!

I can relate with you because on my first playthrough I also picked a thief and I remember the trouble the Taurus Demon gave me, plus it was a completly blind run.
The plunging attack tactic is the easiest way to kill him. If you picked the gold pine resin from a chest in the burg, use it to increase your damage output. After hiting the plung attack run away from the tower you dropped off to the other side while he is recovering. When he start running at you, man-up and run straight at him. He will do a leap attack and you can roll under/between his legs and run back to the top of the tower. Repeat this till he's dead.

jerry1594

Is there a way to farm liquid humanity? Or do I just have to keep killing humanoid enemies?
Btw stormtrooper I did one hand it and the moveset is better than two handed. Thanks

Is there a way to farm liquid humanity? Or do I just have to keep killing humanoid enemies?

Not sure what you mean by "liquid", but yeah, there are a few places to farm humanity. Rats drop it a ton. There is a route near the Depths bonfire that you can kill a BUNCH of rats and get a lot of humanity drops. Drop rates increase the more soft humanity you have (humanity in the upper left hand corner of the screen, after you use it). 10 soft humanity will give you the best drop rates. There is also a ring later in the game that gives you really good drop rates.

The absolute BEST place to farm humanity is in the DLC, though. But for the beginning of the game, the rats in the Depths are your best bet.

jerry1594

Not sure what you mean by "liquid", but yeah, there are a few places to farm humanity. Rats drop it a ton. There is a route near the Depths bonfire that you can kill a BUNCH of rats and get a lot of humanity drops. Drop rates increase the more soft humanity you have (humanity in the upper left hand corner of the screen, after you use it). 10 soft humanity will give you the best drop rates. There is also a ring later in the game that gives you really good drop rates.

The absolute BEST place to farm humanity is in the DLC, though. But for the beginning of the game, the rats in the Depths are your best bet.
Meant soft. Anywhere near the parish? I'm trying to get to ten so the black knight hopefully drops his greatsword.
Do co-op/invasions?
How does co-op work? Someone earlier mentioned you have to have the same progress boss-wise in other to enter their world?

Meant soft. Anywhere near the parish? I'm trying to get to ten so the black knight hopefully drops his greatsword.

Gotcha. There are those few rats in that room below the helkite drake bridge you could farm. Just rest at the bonfire at the end of the bridge and run down and kill them a bunch.

How does co-op work? Someone earlier mentioned you have to have the same progress boss-wise in other to enter their world?

You can get humanity from invasions but not co-op, iirc. At the point of the game you are at, farming rats is probably your best bet.

Soulhouf

Lay down your summon sign (white soapstone given to you by Solaire) at the begining of the level/near the bonfire and someone will summon you to their word for help. If you succeed to beat the boss you'll be rewarded with souls and 1 soft humanity every time.
The only limitation is your level, progress doesn't matter. In fact the player who summons you needs to be in your range.

Ah, that's right, you do get humanity from a successful co-op session. Although if you are on PC, you'll have a lot of trouble getting summoned at all.

PranooY

I prefer killing baby skeletons (covetous silver serpent ring equipped) near the Gravelord Nito area. Baby skeletons spawns infinitely, are quite easy and you get tons of souls since you can kill them infinitely.
BTW...couldn't you use this humanity to convert to soft humanity? (Are you using soft humanity for chaos?)

Edit: ohh, Didn't realize he was at the beginning of the game. Yep, depths are the best for early in the game

jerry1594

Gotcha. There are those few rats in that room below the helkite drake bridge you could farm. Just rest at the bonfire at the end of the bridge and run down and kill them a bunch.

You can get humanity from invasions but not co-op, iirc. At the point of the game you are at, farming rats is probably your best bet.
Hmm, pretty low drop rate. I guess I'll have to keep at it for a good while. As for invasions I doubt there are many available at my level.
Lay down your summon sign (white soapstone given to you by Solaire) at the begining of the level/near the bonfire and someone will summon you to their word for help. If you succeed to beat the boss you'll be rewarded with souls and 1 soft humanity every time.
The only limitation is your level, progress doesn't matter. In fact the player who summons you needs to be in your range.
I'll give it a shot if my friend buys the game. Thanks to you both

Nordicus

The goal of the phantom game mechanics wise is to kill the area boss, therefore the summoner can't summon anyone into an area where there is no boss to kill. For the phantom there's no limitation. You can beat the boss, leave your sign down and repeat the bossfight ad nauseum as long as there are people who want your help with it in your level range: Your level +/- (10 levels + 10% of your level)

I actually managed to do some co-op with my friend earlier. In his game Taurus Demon isn't alive so of course he can't summon me into Taurus' area. But the Bell Gargoyle was still alive in his game, so Undead Parish became our playground.

I'll give it a shot if my friend buys the game. Thanks to you both
Put your sign down any way and help random players, you don't make any progress in your own world and leave the other players' world when you defeat the area boss or die, you don't lose souls or get a bloodstain from dyning, there are no penalties. You get something like 50% of the souls the host gets for killing the boss plus 1 humanity ('liquid' in the top left counter).

Quick way of getting souls, and you don't need to be in human form to put down your sign to help others.

Thanks a lot!
The masterkey won't open the doors that the residence key does, it opens some doors but not all.

When your weapons are low on durability, repair them at a blacksmith or buy the repairbox which let's you repair them yourself at any bonfire. You have access to a blacksmith easily already if you haven't already found him
Take the lift under Firelink to New Londo Ruins and have a look aroundm he's not far.

PranooY

Why do on some occasion when I am human (not hollow), that I can't rest at the bonfire?
No enemies nearby and no phantoms have invaded.

P.S: Damn...While I was writing this post, some guy invaded and murdered me with a one hit kill. :(

Sl 1, chaos reinforced club or +9 fire? Probably fire since I doubt I'll keep tons of soft humanity. Thinking about pumping this guy to sl11 to expand my weapon choices and get more summonings. Would probably go 14 dex 16 str so I can zwei and balder ss it up. Then a point or two in endurance I guess. I don't think I could get heal and those stats unfortunately.
Also what's the most effifcient way to farm chunks? I want my lightning reinforced to get to +4 but don't wanna waste chunks if I'm gonna want the BSS there later, that'd be more valuable.

Why do on some occasion when I am human (not hollow), that I can't rest at the bonfire?
No enemies nearby and no phantoms have invaded.

P.S: Damn...While I was writing this post, some guy invaded and murdered me with a one hit kill. :(

Yeah, not being able to rest means someone is trying to invade.

JustinBB7

My friend is having trouble getting online to work. It worked fine when she was in the UK but now she's in France with satellite internet and the entire online portion doesn't work. No soapstone messages/ghosts/white soapstone signs etc. Nothing else has changed. All the GFWL ports should be open too.

We can co-op DS2 just fine, it's only for the first game, any ideas what could be wrong?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Made it through Blighttown cursed. Went back to Firelink shrine and...my bonfire is gone. I knew I should have taken that guy in the orange out, tho...I guess she's "free" now. :( Went to the ruins below and some Npc attacked. I guess I'm going to the tower to request absolution. Looks like the dude that was sitting at the shrine.

JustinBB7

Made it through Blighttown cursed. Went back to Firelink shrine and...my bonfire is gone. I knew I should have taken that guy in the orange out, tho...I guess she's "free" now. :( Went to the ruins below and some Npc attacked. I guess I'm going to the tower to request absolution. Looks like the dude that was sitting at the shrine.

I don't think you need to request absolution, he went hollow(crazy) I think and will attack you regardless.

jerry1594

My friend is having trouble getting online to work. It worked fine when she was in the UK but now she's in France with satellite internet and the entire online portion doesn't work. No soapstone messages/ghosts/white soapstone signs etc. Nothing else has changed. All the GFWL ports should be open too.

We can co-op DS2 just fine, it's only for the first game, any ideas what could be wrong?
For some reason when I was in the undead burg there were plenty of people waiting to be summoned, but they all failed to connect.

Make sure to hold onto the firekeeper soul for now. Don't use it or anything.

I don't think you need to request absolution, he went hollow(crazy) I think and will attack you regardless.

Yep, he went hollow, so requesting absolution won't help.
Most of the NPCs will actually go hollow at one point or another in their various storylines. Even Laurentius. =(

For some reason when I was in the undead burg there were plenty of people waiting to be summoned, but they all failed to connect.

PC? Then yeah, 9 times out of 10 you'll get a failure to connect.

For all the Solaire cosplayers that spend so much timing making the costume but never figure out how to Praise the Sun properly:

LateBriskJaguar.gif

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Thanks!

The londo ruins remind me of Castlevania. I like this area.

Making my way through Sen's Fortress, so I can get the Lord Vessel and bring hell to that clown that killed the firekeeper. :mad:

Solaire is a bro, but he reminds me of one of the more extreme characters from the movie Sunshine.

I've been pretty good with figuring certain things out solo (minus what I ask here). I might play it online during a new game+ run, so I can see what I missed. I just could not be bothered being invaded while I'm trying to explore.

Boogiepop

Knocked out the Iron Golem and caught myself a ride to Anor Londo. Looks like a neat area, but I'll have to hold off before exploring it since I'll be busy for most of the rest of the day (though maybe if I'm lucky I'll at least have a chance to check it out a little.)

I actually managed to accidentally knock the Iron Golem over the edge on my third try, so yay for a goofy, easy win! I only really died the first time since I didn't know he could grab me, and when he did he threw me off the edge. And then the second time I figured damage looked a little slow and tried the lightning spear I picked up, but that ended up working even worse.

BTW, my current (and only) upgraded weapon right now is my starting Battle Axe which I got up to +10. A part of me just wants to stick with Axes since I've grown accustomed to the thing, so would it make sense to turn it into a Golem Axe now that I have supplies (though I need to get my strength up first, since I still only have like 26). Or should I be looking for something else to pair with my shield?

Oh, and is there a good place for grinding anytime soon? I'm going to level up at least a few off the Golem souls (assuming I can get to a bonfire), but I'm starting to wonder if I'm not a tad underleveled. I'm like level 35 or so right now overall I think, with my Strength, Endurance, and Health hitting the mid 20s being me highest stats.

Mistel

Banned
BTW, my current (and only) upgraded weapon right now is my starting Battle Axe which I got up to +10. A part of me just wants to stick with Axes since I've grown accustomed to the thing, so would it make sense to turn it into a Golem Axe now that I have supplies (though I need to get my strength up first, since I still only have like 26). Or should I be looking for something else to pair with my shield?
The golem axe is fine it's a decent axe more or less. I'd be on the look out for the black knight great axe or demons greataxe myself though.

PranooY

I had abt 50k souls, so was using ring of sacrifice during seath, the scaleless fight. I died and lost everything. My ring hasn't broken. Doesn't ring of sacrifice break letting us keep the souls even if you die?.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Thanks!

The londo ruins remind me of Castlevania. I like this area.

Making my way through Sen's Fortress, so I can get the Lord Vessel and bring hell to that clown that killed the firekeeper. :mad:

Solaire is a bro, but he reminds me of one of the more extreme characters from the movie Sunshine.

I've been pretty good with figuring certain things out solo (minus what I ask here). I might play it online during a new game+ run, so I can see what I missed. I just could not be bothered being invaded while I'm trying to explore.

Think how amazing it would be if Konami decided to reboot Castlevania in a Souls-direction, and not the stupid stuff they have been doing recently :(

Morfeo

Oh, and is there a good place for grinding anytime soon? I'm going to level up at least a few off the Golem souls (assuming I can get to a bonfire), but I'm starting to wonder if I'm not a tad underleveled. I'm like level 35 or so right now overall I think, with my Strength, Endurance, and Health hitting the mid 20s being me highest stats.

Anor Londo is amazing for grinding imo. You can get 10k souls in like two minutes against the 6 Sentinels close to the first bonfire, so just do that for as long as you need.

I think the PC version of DS has been worth it for the GIFs alone.

It's a Garry's Mod gif, but yeah, I agree. My favorite part is the Estus being spewed all over the screen and the "You Defeated". Gets me every time.

I had abt 50k souls, so was using ring of sacrifice during seath, the scaleless fight. I died and lost everything. My ring hasn't broken. Doesn't ring of sacrifice break letting us keep the souls even if you die?.

Yeah, it should have broken and let you keep your souls. That's really weird. Some sort of glitch maybe? (Also, going into a boss fight with 50k is probably not the best thing to do. Best to spend them first.)

Think how amazing it would be if Konami decided to reboot Castlevania in a Souls-direction, and not the stupid stuff they have been doing recently :(

I always felt that the Souls series was how 3D Castlevania games should have been. (DS1 even has the Metroidvania style of world, with interconnecting areas.)

PranooY

Yeah, it should have broken and let you keep your souls. That's really weird. Some sort of glitch maybe? (Also, going into a boss fight with 50k is probably not the best thing to do. Best to spend them first.)
Didn't intend to do that. Somehow got that much by the time I reached there. That's y I equipped the soul of sacrifice ring.. :(

Didn't intend to do that. Somehow got that much by the time I reached there. That's y I equipped the soul of sacrifice ring.. :(

Yeah, pretty weird, I've never heard of that happening. If you can make it back to the boss room, you can pick the souls up and homeward bone out (if you're careful and don't get Seath'd in the process.)

At least at that point in the game 50k souls isn't that much at all. Souls come and go easily, and you can re-earn that in no time.

Morfeo

I always felt that the Souls series was how 3D Castlevania games should have been. (DS1 even has the Metroidvania style of world, with interconnecting areas.)

Definitely agree with this. When I first played Demons Souls, the games it reminded me the most of was actually Zelda 2 and Castlevania 3 for the Nes since they both were pretty hard and cryptic, but mostly fair, and was very precision-based, and especially in Castlevania, when you did a move, you was commited to it, making planning important.

Mistel

Banned
You die of curse perchance?

Nordicus

Yeah, that is odd. Did you "die" by getting cursed instead? I believe that's bit of an exception for the ring

PranooY

You die of curse perchance?

Yep, seath's attack - cursed. Had to use purging stone.
Yep, checked now there is one rare ring of Sacrifice too which negates the losses during curse death in addition to ordinary.

Edit: just beat seath alone. He is surprisingly easy to beat once you get the idea. Summoning is a waste for seath fight. I wasted about 5 humanities for summons.

Mistel

Banned
Yep, seath's attack - cursed. Had to use purging stone.
Yep, checked now there is one rare ring of Sacrifice too which negates the losses during curse death in addition to ordinary..
Without the rare ring of scarifce you wouldn't be protected or you could wear armor with high curse resistance.

jerry1594

I just beat the gargoyles :D lol actually two other guys did like 95% of the work. I was going to the bonfire to level up and the area was sealed off. Taking into account that they don't connect very much on pc I said what the hell. A guy summoned, and I tried it again at the fight entrance and another one popped up. Both gargoyles were pulp in like 30 seconds. The second guy was definitely overkill lol. When summons successfully beat a boss, do they get 50% of the allotted souls and I 100%? Or do they take 50% of mine?

Mistel

Banned
I just beat the gargoyles :D lol actually two other guys did like 95% of the work. I was going to the bonfire to level up and the area was sealed off. Taking into account that they don't connect very much on pc I said what the hell. A guy summoned, and I tried it again at the fight entrance and another one popped up. Both gargoyles were pulp in like 30 seconds. The second guy was definitely overkill lol. When summons successfully beat a boss, do they get 50% of the allotted souls and I 100%? Or do they take 50% of mine?
They get humanity and are rewarded some souls it varies depending on the boss fight what amount they get.

They don't get any of your souls, but when you use summoned players the bosses do get a boost to their HP. Not a worry with human players, but a couple of the NPC summons can be totally useless
*cough* Beatrice for the 4 Kings *cough*
, they can also be really good too
*cough* Beatrice for the Moonlight Butterfly *cough*
, so you never know!

Top Bottom