• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I had abt 50k souls, so was using ring of sacrifice during seath, the scaleless fight. I died and lost everything. My ring hasn't broken. Doesn't ring of sacrifice break letting us keep the souls even if you die?.

If you die of curse it won't work, you need the Rare Ring of Sacrifice.

jerry1594

They get humanity and are rewarded some souls it varies depending on the boss fight what amount they get.

They don't get any of your souls, but when you use summoned players the bosses do get a boost to their HP. Not a worry with human players, but a couple of the NPC summons can be totally useless
*cough* Beatrice for the 4 Kings *cough*
, they can also be really good too
*cough* Beatrice for the Moonlight Butterfly *cough*
, so you never know!
Thanks! They were crazy easy anyway.
Should I give the greatsword black knight a go with just ten humanity? I've been working towards getting the gold serpent ring to boost my chances, but it seems pretty far off. I'd also have to farm a good amount of souls to get the poison ring from Oswald. I could make backup saves to guarantee the drop but that would be pushing it I think.

Mistel

Banned
Thanks! They were crazy easy anyway.
Should I give the greatsword black knight a go with just ten humanity? I've been working towards getting the gold serpent ring to boost my chances, but it seems pretty far off. I'd also have to farm a good amount of souls to get the poison ring from Oswald. I could make backup saves to guarantee the drop but that would be pushing it I think.
Item discovery maxes out with 10 humanity and the gold covetous serpent ring so wait till you've got both.

I just beat the gargoyles :D lol actually two other guys did like 95% of the work. I was going to the bonfire to level up and the area was sealed off. Taking into account that they don't connect very much on pc I said what the hell. A guy summoned, and I tried it again at the fight entrance and another one popped up. Both gargoyles were pulp in like 30 seconds. The second guy was definitely overkill lol. When summons successfully beat a boss, do they get 50% of the allotted souls and I 100%? Or do they take 50% of mine?

I think they get 30k or 15k as far as i remember

PranooY

Took the day off from work to make some nice progress. ;) (got enough leave left btw)

Ok, so I just beat seath and am lvl 91 with decent elementary weapons (lighting uchigatana +3 and fire gargoyle halbred +5). Am I ready to save Solarie now? I had ventured earlier far into the demon ruins to find the shortcut to lost Ozalith for this. Had killed Ceaseless discharge and abt 9 Capra demon and 1 taurus. But I was blocked earlier by the orange gate, which was cleared when I had the chat with Gywnvere in Anor Londo.
Just asking this, cause I don't wanna mess up by doing things outta order.

Also I saw a thread abt Arstorias of the Abyss DLC. Is it worth it?

jerry1594

Oh man the fight with the black knight was one of the most nerve wracking things I've done in a while. Maybe I'm doing this wrong but I drew him outside and we traded strikes and it took me like 15 r1 hits to take him out? And he only dropped titanite:/

kionedrik

Oh man the fight with the black knight was one of the most nerve wracking things I've done in a while. Maybe I'm doing this wrong but I drew him outside and we traded strikes and it took me like 15 r1 hits to take him out? And he only dropped titanite:/

One word, parry!

And only got a titanite chunk? Very soon you'll be very happy to have it (although he could have been nicer and drop you his sword).

Real Dark Souls starts there.

Nordicus

I just beat the 1st boss of the DLC for the second time ever, which I had so much trouble with on my first Faith character. This really taught me one thing: People fighting Sanctuary Guardian who do not have a non-lightning pure damage source are fucked. When I first fought him, I had an occult weapon, chaos weapon, a fire weapon, 2 different divine weapons and the spell Lightning Spear and this fight took me maybe over a dozen times to beat. I was simply stuck. My best option was around 120 damage with Crescent Axe every time he missed a charge or that wind attack, it just took forever.

Now, I have a pyromancer, and even though my only weapon was a Lightning Claymore +5, I still had my pyromancy spells that just ruined him each time he had an opening. I died once, and even that was because I tried to get his tail (and succeeded) and only had 5 estus flasks.

Split damage users are just screwed against that boss, unless we're talking resin or magical buffs

PranooY

Yes either through poison mist or giving the humanity to open it.

I went through the vines/tree branch in front of the second boss of demon ruins and opened the weird gate (the one that slides in sections). I heard that the maggot with the red eyes is the one to be killed. But I went on a rampage and killed every maggots. I got a sunlight Maggot helmet and 2 sunlight medals. Does this mean Solaire is saved? I went again and did the same, just to be safe.

Mistel

Banned
I went through the vines/tree branch in front of the second boss of demon ruins and opened the weird gate (the one that slides in sections). I heard that the maggot with the red eyes is the one to be killed. But I went on a rampage and killed every maggots. I got a sunlight Maggot helmet and 2 sunlight medals. Does this mean Solaire is saved? I went again and did the same. Just to be safe.
The sunlight maggot is no more you've saved Solaire. Although his fate might have been better if you didn't separate him from his beloved sun...

Booshka

I just beat the 1st boss of the DLC for the second time ever, which I had so much trouble with on my first Faith character. This really taught me one thing: People fighting Sanctuary Guardian who do not have a non-lightning pure damage source are fucked. When I first fought him, I had an occult weapon, chaos weapon, a fire weapon, 2 different divine weapons and the spell Lightning Spear and this fight took me maybe over a dozen times to beat. I was simply stuck. My best option was around 120 damage with Crescent Axe every time he missed a charge or that wind attack, it just took forever.

Now, I have a pyromancer, and even though my only weapon was a Lightning Claymore +5, I still had my pyromancy spells that just ruined him each time he had an opening. I died once, and even that was because I tried to get his tail (and succeeded) and only had 5 estus flasks.

Split damage users are just screwed against that boss, unless we're talking resin or magical buffs

Split damage is terrible against most bosses in the DLC. Pure Physical is the way to go, and Pyromancy is also really good as well.

Nordicus

Split damage is terrible against most bosses in the DLC. Pure Physical is the way to go, and Pyromancy is also really good as well.
Yeah, most bosses. Split damage is still workable with Artorias. I remember checking VideogamerTV's "Pantsman" playthrough after beating the DLC and when comparing their BKH's output to mine during the fights, in Sanctuary Guardian's case there was a huge difference when with Artorias it was much, much milder.

jerry1594

One word, parry!

And only got a titanite chunk? Very soon you'll be very happy to have it (although he could have been nicer and drop you his sword).
I really do need to use more of the moveset, I mostly let enemies bang their weapons on my shield and just rt them. Also how exactly do I increase poise?
Real Dark Souls starts there.
Yeap, I've taken the easy route for every boss and miniboss up to that point.
(Though the game has had me pretty tense and apprehensive throughout)

Nordicus

Also how exactly do I increase poise?
Either find a ring called Wolf Ring that's hidden in
Darkroot Garden
area, which is accessible to you at this point, or wear armor pieces that have higher Poise stat. Heavier ones have better poise, usually. You just gotta find most of the armor sets, but since you started as Deprived, the Undead Burg merchant sells a chain set that's better than being naked if you haven't equipped better stuff already

jerry1594

Either find a ring called Wolf Ring that's hidden in
Darkroot Garden
area, which is accessible to you at this point, or wear armor pieces that have higher Poise stat. Heavier ones have better poise, usually. You just gotta find most of the armor sets, but since you started as Deprived, the Undead Burg merchant sells a chain set that's better than being naked if you haven't equipped better stuff already
I bought the chain from the merchant. Is the elite knight set far off from the prowling demon way?

Be aware of noisy armour like the chainmail set, they make it harder to creep up on enemies. Looks nice though, well maybe not the goofy headpiece! :p

Boogiepop

Maaaaaaaan. I'm wandering around Anor Londo, and I just started digging around the area near the second bonfire. I got all excited earlier when I got the Black Iron or w/e set, but when I put it on boy did the weight ever slow me the hell down. So I regrettably took it off and kept going about my business. And now I've found the Havel's set, and it's even better yet even heavier! Sucks since outside of weight this stuff is so, so much better than what I'm wearing. But I don't think I can justify it at all. Bleh. Does increasing Endurance help with this problem? Also, any other ways to deal with it, or if you want to use heavy armor are you just stuck moving at a crawl?

Also, were those two archers the ones everyone was talking about? Because they're really not that bad. The bat wing demons in the area below were far worse for me (till I figured out I could lure them into trapping themselves against the bridge). The only bad part was getting to the top and having to fight the one on the right on such a crappy, narrow area. But the one on the left didn't even bug me. Though he totally didn't like to put away his bow with its giant kickback, I'll admit.

Mistel

Banned
Maaaaaaaan. I'm wandering around Anor Londo, and I just started digging around the area near the second bonfire. I got all excited earlier when I got the Black Iron or w/e set, but when I put it on boy did the weight ever slow me the hell down. So I regrettably took it off and kept going about my business. And now I've found the Havel's set, and it's even better yet even heavier! Sucks since outside of weight this stuff is so, so much better than what I'm wearing. But I don't think I can justify it at all. Bleh. Does increasing Endurance help with this problem? Also, any other ways to deal with it, or if you want to use heavy armor are you just stuck moving at a crawl?
Use Havel's ring and the ring of favor and protection to raise your equip load along with endurance. Havel's alone could probably satisfy your needs most likely.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=825850

Nordicus

Also, were those two archers the ones everyone was talking about? Because they're really not that bad. The bat wing demons in the area below were far worse for me (till I figured out I could lure them into trapping themselves against the bridge). The only bad part was getting to the top and having to fight the one on the right on such a crappy, narrow area. But the one on the left didn't even bug me. Though he totally didn't like to put away his bow with its giant kickback, I'll admit.
Like with a lot of infamous Dark Souls spots, it depends. Someone might immediately go for the correct approach, but if you take too long, rely on your blocking too much or can't fight the silver knight properly in melee, you'll quickly fall down

Is faith worth it if you only have 30? I need a level 49 guy for coop and was thinking a bandit with 40 str and 30 faith. Is faith ok at that level? I've never dabbled in faith bc it takes so long to get good stuff for it. But since I want a str build would 30 faith be helpful for sunlight blade, wotg spears and such? I'd really be skimping on vit and endurance to fit those stats in

Boogiepop

Man, I can fight Lautrec now, but it doesn't go well. Not being able to lure out his posse separately and not being able to use Estus Flasks hurts. Oh well, if I can't do anything at all in the next few tries I guess I'll just come back for it later? I want to get back at the jerk but I guess there's no need to rush it.

Man, I can fight Lautrec now, but it doesn't go well. Not being able to lure out his posse separately and not being able to use Estus Flasks hurts. Oh well, if I can't do anything at all in the next few tries I guess I'll just come back for it later? I want to get back at the jerk but I guess there's no need to rush it.
Iron flesh and dusk crown / bdcr and fireeeee tank that shit

Mistel

Banned
Simply kite lautrec to the stairs and he's an easy victim.

Booshka

Is faith worth it if you only have 30? I need a level 49 guy for coop and was thinking a bandit with 40 str and 30 faith. Is faith ok at that level? I've never dabbled in faith bc it takes so long to get good stuff for it. But since I want a str build would 30 faith be helpful for sunlight blade, wotg spears and such? I'd really be skimping on vit and endurance to fit those stats in

27 STR and 30 Faith is pretty good. 27 STR gives you the best 2 handed scaling for STR without falling off completely in scaling.

Boogiepop

Simply kite lautrec to the stairs and he's an easy victim.

Yeah, those stairs destroyed him. I actually had just dealt with the Titanite Demon nearby and used him+the Giant blacksmith to get myself a Golem Axe+4, but this left me with like 1/4th health and no Estus left to heal. However, I figured it was easier/quicker to just invade and die while getting a feel for the stairs. Of course I ended up killing him that time. However his buddies stuck around and killed me, but fortunately it still counted, so hooray! Threw on his ring which I must never, ever remove, allowing me to throw on the full Havel's set for awesome defense without worrying about being slow as hell! Then I went ahead and finished opening up the shortcuts and grabbing the loot from the area, which was nice, and got myself a level up with the souls I earned.

Took a first shot at the boss(es), and they don't seem toooo bad. Pretty much just a question of getting in a hit without getting slapped for it. Looks like my plan is to knock out the little guy first, and seeing I can take a sizable amount of his HP it shouldn't be too bad, it's just all about not getting impatient and cornered by the pair. But I'll take a little break first. They're certainly going down today, though.

Get the hawk ring at blacksmith in Anor londo, use poison arrows at the spawn. If you have the stats, you can kill him with dragonslayer bow and arrows. They don't even know you are there.

PranooY

Siegmeyer Quest - should I go through the path that gives me the ring or the titanite slab...?
I really need the slab coz its hard to come by.

Anywer else I can find slab, other than stray demon?

27 STR and 30 Faith is pretty good. 27 STR gives you the best 2 handed scaling for STR without falling off completely in scaling.
Hm that's a good point. I've never tried the super heavy weapons though, are they any fun? The stuff id get access to at 28-40. I just have to figure out how many attunement slots I'll need. Haven't used faith yet, but I'm thinking 3 or 4 should be good. Is there anything that makes miracles more powerful? Like how magic can abuse the crown and bellowing ring?

Boogiepop

Get the hawk ring at blacksmith in Anor londo, use poison arrows at the spawn. If you have the stats, you can kill him with dragonslayer bow and arrows. They don't even know you are there.

Already took them out and had my happy reunion with Anastacia. :)

Also, since my LTTP's looking kind of dead, may as well cross-post this:
15 hours in now, and I just got and placed the Lordvessel. That last boss fight took some doing, if only because taking down fatty while they're both up was tricky. Ended up kindling my first bonfire in order to give myself the edge, and I got them.

Now to decide what to do next! From what I've heard I guess it would be a good idea to venture into the forest or w/e under the blacksmith for the first time. Looks like I definitely have a lot of option open though, that's for sure.

How do I do that ? I mean harvest humanity?

You need the Dark Hand. Drops from Darkwraiths. It's not necessary, but lets you get humanity from NPC's without aggroing or killing them.

The Siegemeyer sidequest never made any sense to me.
He went Hollow, and his daughter killed him? Why was he hollow, and is there any way to prevent that? The guy was perfectly cheerful all of the time, then suddenly ded. "Oh, he was probably hollow or something, whatever."

You need the Dark Hand. Drops from Darkwraiths. It's not necessary, but lets you get humanity from NPC's without aggroing or killing them.

The Siegemeyer sidequest never made any sense to me.
He went Hollow, and his daughter killed him? Why was he hollow, and is there any way to prevent that? The guy was perfectly cheerful all of the time, then suddenly ded. "Oh, he was probably hollow or something, whatever."

VaatiVidya has a really good explanation for that.

jerry1594

Gonna give the black knight in the asylum another go. I really haven't leveled anything since, I was farming humanity and got the wolf ring. Turtling was working well enough, until a point where he killed me too close to the cell and and every time after that I would get my humanity and souls and get killed right away, up to the last encounter where I was killed extra early.
^is every single laugh in this game really creepy?

jerry1594

Pretty much. And Oswald clearly has the creepiest one of them all.

I always understood it as just a side effect of the hollowing process. They are all starting to go mad.
Didn't even see that one coming, like holy shit where did that come from. That makes sense, but does hollowing cause insanity or zombification? It kinda reminds me of reading that zombifying guy's journal in resident evil, how his writing breaks down as it goes.

Didn't even see that one coming, like holy shit where did that come from. That makes sense, but does hollowing cause insanity or zombification? It kinda reminds me of reading that zombifying guy's journal in resident evil, how his writing breaks down as it goes.

Well, the "zombification" is a side effect of being undead, that can be reversed with humanity. That's why you can run around as a "zombie" and not count as being fully hollow. Or why there are some NPCs that have the zombie face (the Undead Merchants in the Burg), but aren't hollow yet. Humanity helps reverse the zombification, and staves off the hollowing process. But eventually pretty much every undead will go hollow after dying again and again and again. They just lose a bit of their minds every time.

In other words, being hollow is the state at which an undead has become a mindless monster. You can reverse the zombification state, but as far as we know there's no way to reverse being a hollow. Also, if you follow the various NPC questlines in DS1,
most of them go hollow at one point or another. It seems to usually coincide with when they lose hope or direction. So having a goal to work towards seems to be huge for staving off hollowing.

Dark Souls 2 explores the whole hollowing process a lot more. "Not all undead are hollows, but all hollows were once undead."

Top Bottom