• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

jerry1594

Oh man with those knights. One fuck up and it's all over. I managed this one on my first try. Unfortunately didn't drop his sword either. As someone who's never gravitated towards these kinds of games I have to say it really frays my nerves.

Booshka

Hm that's a good point. I've never tried the super heavy weapons though, are they any fun? The stuff id get access to at 28-40. I just have to figure out how many attunement slots I'll need. Haven't used faith yet, but I'm thinking 3 or 4 should be good. Is there anything that makes miracles more powerful? Like how magic can abuse the crown and bellowing ring?

Yes heavy STR weapons are fun, and you don't have to always use smaller weapons 2 handed, but if you are trying to constrain your level, then 27 STR is the way to do that.

Ring of Sun's Firstborn acts similarly to the Bellowing Dragoncrest ring for Faith. The Dusk Crown boosts all forms of magic, not just sorcery, so Faith, Pyro, Dark Magic and Sorcery all get buffed by it.

Get the slab and harvest the humanity from his daughter by sucking it out of her.

Who is the real monster now

The Siegemeyer sidequest never made any sense to me.
He went Hollow, and his daughter killed him? Why was he hollow, and is there any way to prevent that? The guy was perfectly cheerful all of the time, then suddenly ded. "Oh, he was probably hollow or something, whatever."

Well, there is a context in that world, being undead is a form of curse which makes you lose your sanity little by little and finally sucumb to the curse and becomes wild attacking everything you see and the only way to prevent a fully hollowfication is consuming souls which makes you a danger for everyone around you.

When someone becames undead (there is still no indication how the undead curse chose you) there is no way to cure or reverse the hollowing but you can mantain your shape by consuming humanity which means you have to kill a living not undead being

Siegmeyer comes from a land of proud warriors so when he turned hollow, knowing the fate of the undead, He travels to lordran to make a final quest for its own, the sad part
if you fully complete the quests is in fact you never let him do his final quests and take the big prize everytime you met him so he could survive long enough and turned hollow.

Her daughter comes to lordran to take a look of his father
and take him down when if he turns hollow, also she remarks you she can do the same thing to you if you want and kills you everytime the player tries to reanimates
also she is one of the few human not being undead in the game.

Mostly everyone you meet in the game is undead and in the process of being hollow,

Nordicus

From what I've heard I guess it would be a good idea to venture into the forest or w/e under the blacksmith for the first time. Looks like I definitely have a lot of option open though, that's for sure.
Yeah the forest is a good idea, in fact there is a part that might have been smart to clear right before/after the gargoyles

PranooY

Ok, so I now collected all the Lord Souls,max out lighting uchigatana and fire halbred. I read that as soon as you beat the last boss, you go to NG+.

Is there anything left for me to do? Should I play dlc before the final boss? How do I start dlc levels?

Ok, so I now collected all the Lord Souls,max out lighting uchigatana and fire halbred. I read that as soon as you beat the last boss, you go to NG+.

Is there anything left for me to do? Should I play dlc before the final boss? How do I start dlc levels?

You have to play DLC before defeating the final boss, as noted, you immediately start NG+ afterward.

Do you have a pendant in your inventory under keys?

Do the DLC before the final boss. It's really, really good, and if you don't do it now you'll have to wait until NG+, or start a new character.

The method for getting to the DLC is kind of a pain:

• Make sure you've freed Dusk. She can be found by killing the Golem after the Hydra in Darkroot Basin
  • Go to the Duke's Archives and kill that Golem that's sitting in the corner
  • Go back to where you rescued Dusk. There should now be a portal to enter

PranooY

You have to play DLC before defeating the final boss, as noted, you immediately start NG+ afterward.

Do you have a pendant in your inventory under keys?
Is it related to Dusk of Oolacile (the well mannered woman)? I had bought some magic scrolls from her. Will try to meet her then.

I had killed that golem before I purchased the dlc. Is that y I didn't get yet? Anyways trying again.

That golem wasn't there before you purchased the DLC.

If it was there and it didn't drop the pendant, it's because you hadn't rescued Dusk and talked to her yet.

PranooY

That golem wasn't there before you purchased the DLC.

If it was there and it didn't drop the pendant, it's because you hadn't rescued Dusk and talked to her yet.
You are talking about the Golem who is standing at the table as soon as I enter Duke's Archives. I had saved Dusk of Oolacile early in the game.
I killed him again, but no pendant...:(

Boogiepop

Yeah the forest is a good idea, in fact there is a part that might have been smart to clear right before/after the gargoyles

Cool. I'll knock that out next I guess. BTW, should I finally get around to purchasing that item from the blacksmith if I'm heading that way?

Also decided to put in a little more time tonight, so I finally revisited the Undead Asylum. And man, that's a bit of a pain to get to. Feels almost like you're sequence breaking or something just to get up to that nest. But either way, I got that done with. Is it worth going back to do the Painted World or whatever stuff at some point now that I can, btw?

PranooY

Make sure you check the keys section of your inventory.
Damn, I think I figured out what's wrong. My disc is a US copy (checked the playasia link) and the account through which I purchased dlc is EU account.

I wasted 15$. :(
DLC from different region won't work right?

Manu

Hey everyone, new player here fresh from Demon's. I'm liking the game so far, but it feels so weird to be weak again.

What I mean is, I'm stuck at Taurus Demon right at the beginning of the game. Heh. I feel even for a first boss I'm doing too little damage. Maybe I'm not going to the right place? Or is the game that much tougher than Demon's?

Soulhouf

Hm that's a good point. I've never tried the super heavy weapons though, are they any fun? The stuff id get access to at 28-40. I just have to figure out how many attunement slots I'll need. Haven't used faith yet, but I'm thinking 3 or 4 should be good. Is there anything that makes miracles more powerful? Like how magic can abuse the crown and bellowing ring?

Crown of Dusk and Ring of the Sun's Firstborn is all what you need.

Hey everyone, new player here fresh from Demon's. I'm liking the game so far, but it feels so weird to be weak again.

What I mean is, I'm stuck at Taurus Demon right at the beginning of the game. Heh. I feel even for a first boss I'm doing too little damage. Maybe I'm not going to the right place? Or is the game that much tougher than Demon's?

You're in the right place. I still haven't played Demon's Souls, so I can't tell how it compares to that in early game difficulty. (I still really, really want to play DeS, just need a PS3...)

What weapon are you using?

Did you learn how to do the plunging attack in the tutorial?

gogosox82

Try plunging attacking him.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Use the Gold Pine Resin you can find earlier in Undead Burg and he will go down in seconds.

jerry1594

The stray demon is a pain in the ass. I'm using the crest shield and the morning star+3. It would be an easy kill but maybe I'm too slow or underleveled but I can hardly get three strikes in before it does that hammer magic bs

Boogiepop

The stray demon is a pain in the ass. I'm using the crest shield and the morning star+3. It would be an easy kill but maybe I'm too slow or underleveled but I can hardly get three strikes in before it does that hammer magic bs

I just beat it pretty easily. Admittedly I was overpowered, but the same principal should still apply. It telegraphs the blast thing really obviously (I think it puts down the hammer vertically) so just start backing up when you see that coming. Other than that just stay close unless he tries to sit on you, and he won't even hit you.

Mistel

Banned
What's the fun in killing easy trash mob over and over?
Based on that logic why not just give yourself end game equipment from the beginning?
If you feel you are too slow what's your equip load? Swap your crest shield for a blader shield or a kite shield.

Damn, I think I figured out what's wrong. My disc is a US copy (checked the playasia link) and the account through which I purchased dlc is EU account.

I wasted 15$. :(
DLC from different region won't work right?

Hmm? the dlc can be shared if you downloaded the content on your console or you can wait till DS becomes free in games of gold the next month i think to be in the same region as your dlc

Booshka

You aren't underleveled, but your weapon is pretty weak. It does have bleed though, so you should try to bleed it out over and over, which is tricky because of the AoE's and such. If you are getting close to beating it and confident, keep going at it and you'll get it eventually. If not, no shame in coming back later when your weapon is a bit more upgraded.

Based on that logic why not just give yourself end game equipment from the beginning?

If you feel you are too slow what's your equip load? Swap your crest shield for a blader shield or a kite shield.
im going to call it bullshit if you have never used black knight weapons when they drop from begging of the game.
Who doesn't like being overpowered?

jerry1594

Crest shield, morningstar+3, and elite knight set. I'm using the shield for defense against the fire attack and the morningstar does bleed damage every 3 hits
You aren't underleveled, but your weapon is pretty weak. It does have bleed though, so you should try to bleed it out over and over, which is tricky because of the AoE's and such. If you are getting close to beating it and confident, keep going at it and you'll get it eventually. If not, no shame in coming back later when your weapon is a bit more upgraded.
I saw a guy do it with that gear, I think he did it earlier in the game, but he managed easily. I'm gonna give it another go, I feel I wasn't paying enough attention to his telegraphs

Mistel

Banned
Crest shield, morningstar+3, and elite knight set. I'm using the shield for defense against the fire attack and the morningstar does bleed damage every 3 hits.
That's equipment not equip load. Not got a dragon crest shield for its higher fire resistance?

jerry1594

For sure I have the knight shield, claymore, chainmail set, boar's head, a spear, winged spear, balder armor, and I think a few swords and armor collected from soldiers. The attack is magic based so the crest shield is what I need.

JCSantiago

Neo Member
I think it was a terrible idea to get rid of the producer for the sequel. I was so excited for DS2 but once I heard about the changes I lost interest.

Same recipe different chef.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I hate mimics in all games.... -____-

Made some slight progress. Got through Sen's Fortress and finally made it to Anor Londo.

My Longsword is at +10
Divine uchi is at +2

Thinking about making a magic weapon since my int is near 27.

I hate mimics in all games.... -____-

Made some slight progress. Got through Sen's Fortress and finally made it to Anor Londo.

My Longsword is at +10
Divine uchi is at +2

Thinking about making a magic weapon since my int is near 27.
Did you buy the spells from the friend you can save in sens?
Also I would recommend beating the catacombs if you can, it's boss has a great reward that will help in Anor, and your weapon can handle it now.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Yea. I beat the catacombs and left the area when I got to the tomb of the giants.

I haven't gone back to firelink yet. I really didn't feel like making the journey through Sens again. Might just do it anyways, before I get the Lord Vessel.

I have not used a single boss soul yet. I guess I'll be running into the blacksmith whom can use them, soon?

Yea. I beat the catacombs and left the area when I got to the tomb of the giants.

I haven't gone back to firelink yet. I really didn't feel like making the journey through Sens again. Might just do it anyways, before I get the Lord Vessel.

I have not used a single boss soul yet. I guess I'll be running into the blacksmith whom can use them, soon?
Send has a shortcut, if you found a key while exploring near it's merchant.

Top Bottom