• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
8A16E5F73FE37C0DFB004A515FE5354BF5123061

Why can't I pick up this loot in the Archives ?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Crystal Caves. Invisible floors huh? What are you, castlevania?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
They Crystal Caves are really beautiful, but not very fun to play tbh. Hate falling of ledges dodging backward from the Big Crystal Golems

Maybe you're already holding 99 of whatever it is.

That chest contains 20 prism stones iirc.

That's probably it, lol

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
You've not got to the invisible bridges then?

Yes, the ones outside are fine. It's the two slightly tougher of them inside I meant. They didn't respawn, so it was easy to pass it the second time. Maybe the last one died with me, idk.

Finished the area now I guess. The boss was the lulz ;)

Not quite sure where I'm supposed to go now.

The game hasn't really hinted in any directions after killing the four kings, and the entrance to the archives was the only locked place I've found.

I guess there's the Demon place down with Quelaags' sister though?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I also accidentally equipped the Ring of Favor and Protection as I was about to equip the Artorias Ring before entering the Abyss, which has lead me to drop Havel's for now as I didn't just want to break it at once.

I can equip Full Silver Knight, Claymore/bow and a medium shield without topping 50 % anyway.

TnK

Is it possible to give myself swords in a brand new playthrough? I have an offline save that I want to transfer online but the game does not allow me to do so (one save on an offline account, the other my XBLA account), and in that save, I got lucky and received the black knight sword the first time I killed a black knight.

So, what I want to do is: either give myself a black knight sword or black knight greatsword from the get go, and level up until I can wield one. Is it possible to do so?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Cleared out the Great Hollow and Ash Lake instead.

No bosses? Pfft

Well, there was the Hydra at least

Nordicus

Aah Kalameet, the absolute bane of my previous playthrough. When I went through this DLC as my paladin, I died again, and again, and again

I did not imagine I'd take him out in 5 tries this time and 4 of those I was after his tail. Not that I'm ever going to use it, I just wanted to see if I could do it with my main weapon Lightning Claymore +5 that only dealt little over 100 damage per hit 2-handed.

I think I'll create all the available soul weapons while I still can and then trample on Gwyn because I have a date with NG+ and he's in the way

Boogiepop

Ventured down through the woods, and beat up poor old Sif. I actually only had 1 Estus Flask left when fighting him, so I went ahead and used up two humanities for healing. Fortunately that did the trick and he went down on the first try.

But yeah, I was DEFINITELY meant to come this way earlier. Outside of Sif and I guess those weird cat/panther/porcupine things, nothing really put up a fight, including the other boss/miniboss. The only "challenge" came from the hydra's last head not coming anywhere near me, and me not wanting to venture out too far into the water and risk dying. Fortunately even though I haven't been dutifully buying arrows, I had just enough to make it work.

Anyway, guess I'll warp back and probably go after the catacombs next, since I need to pick a direction and that seems like a fine enough choice.

Nordicus

Anyway, guess I'll warp back and probably go after the catacombs next, since I need to pick a direction and that seems like a fine enough choice.
If you find the Catacombs "gimmick" cumbersome and want to be able to deal with it better, ask Andre the Blacksmith, or Domhnall of Zena right below the aqueduct for advice. Domhnall's lips loosen right after buying something.

I also accidentally equipped the Ring of Favor and Protection as I was about to equip the Artorias Ring before entering the Abyss, which has lead me to drop Havel's for now as I didn't just want to break it at once.

I can equip Full Silver Knight, Claymore/bow and a medium shield without topping 50 % anyway.

You can get a second Ring of Favor and Protection, if that helps. You can get the 2nd by
trading the Xanthous Crown with Sunggly the Crow.

I booted up DS1 for the first time since the release of DS2, and wow what a difference. Everything came back to me, my last character was in Blighttown so did a bit of co-op, the framerate - wow, it was giving me a headache! Then I went up top to open up Sen's, first ogre at the exit of B-town, I parried and got a Large Club and Dung Pie :)

I miss the easy parry and the glorious <25% fast roll <3 Oh..... and where are the bearded girls in DS2, no fair :(

Boogiepop

Ugh. Stupid Tomb of the Giants. Got way down in there after fairly easily clearing out the Catacombs (I just walked up the boss and whacked him like 5 times with my axe and he died almost immediately. BTW, how is he a "pinwheel"?), worked my way down, then of course Patches kicked me in the pit. I managed to work my way back out, got my way past the illusionary wall... and then somehow glitched and twitched a little while pulling out my lantern, sending me into a freaking bottomless pit. Ugh. I'll take a break for now, really not a fan of the "hey, you can't see crap without a light source" gimmick of this place. Giant coffin surfing is kind of neat at least though, in an odd way.

Anyway, I'm going to take a break before I throw myself back at that. At the very least I need to get myself a bonfire and hopefully retrieve that stash of souls, which I think was enough for 1.5 levels.

Ugh. Stupid Tomb of the Giants. Got way down in there after fairly easily clearing out the Catacombs (I just walked up the boss and whacked him like 5 times with my axe and he died almost immediately. BTW, how is he a "pinwheel"?), worked my way down, then of course Patches kicked me in the pit. I managed to work my way back out, got my way past the illusionary wall... and then somehow glitched and twitched a little while pulling out my lantern, sending me into a freaking bottomless pit. Ugh. I'll take a break for now, really not a fan of the "hey, you can't see crap without a light source" gimmick of this place. Giant coffin surfing is kind of neat at least though, in an odd way.

Anyway, I'm going to take a break before I throw myself back at that. At the very least I need to get myself a bonfire and hopefully retrieve that stash of souls, which I think was enough for 1.5 levels.

Tomb of the Giants in a nutshell:

iouPFEx1XFpId.gif

And the obligatory:

iAAZ2MpXTZdEa.gif

Capra demon is a huge bitch. Is it better for me to fight it naked? I feel somewhat slow when I fight.

Don't fight naked, but keep your equip load under 25%. That'll let you roll faster. Also, kill the dogs first. Always kill the dogs first. A good strategy is to run to the stairs at the start of the fight and try to pick off the dogs quickly.

Boogiepop

Well, thankfully realizing I had a lantern from the start helped a LOT this time. Easily made it down to the bonfire, and then grabbed my souls which were (of course) like a few feet from the darn bonfire. Got myself two levels out of it too, which is nice. Anyway, definitely actually taking a break for now before trying to do the rest of the area.

Capra demon is a huge bitch. Is it better for me to fight it naked? I feel somewhat slow when I fight.

Just beat him yesterday! I ran to the right, dodged his jump attack, ran up the stairs, somehow killed the dogs, then stood on the arch way where he couldn't touch me and I threw firebombs at him until he died.

Manu

I'm so close to beating the Gargoyles, I'm sure it can be done pure melee.

Is there a way to cancel your rolls? Because sometimes I'll press Circle, get hit, and then roll anyway, losing stamina.

jerry1594

Don't fight naked, but keep your equip load under 25%. That'll let you roll faster. Also, kill the dogs first. Always kill the dogs first. A good strategy is to run to the stairs at the start of the fight and try to pick off the dogs quickly.
I'm pretty light as it is. I guess I'll put everything away save for my equipped stuff and a bow. When I manage to get to the stairs I usually take them out with one swipe. Been making the mistake of going right I think.
Just beat him yesterday! I ran to the right, dodged his jump attack, ran up the stairs, somehow killed the dogs, then stood on the arch way where he couldn't touch me and I threw firebombs at him until he died.
So there's no way for it to touch you on that arch? I might just cheese it if it takes too long.

Boogiepop

I'm pretty light as it is. I guess I'll put everything away save for my equipped stuff and a bow. When I manage to get to the stairs I usually take them out with one swipe. Been making the mistake of going right I think.

So there's no way for it to touch you on that arch? I might just cheese it if it takes too long.

It pretty much can't hit you on the arch. I want to say the stars aligned for him and one of his swings may have found a way to touch me when I was up there once though. Either way, I abused the crap out of that thing once I finally managed to get to the stairs for the first time. Just wait till he comes over and then diving attack, run back to the stairs and repeat.

Nordicus

Bit of an overstatement. He's likely to step over and fall off the stairs with his regular attacks, but Capra Demon's leap attack will reach you if he chooses to use it

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Bit of an overstatement. He's likely to step over and fall off the stairs with his regular attacks, but Capra Demon's leap attack will reach you if he chooses to use it

Yeaaaa...He must have wanted me dead when I fought him. Every single time he did that leap attack when he got on the stairs. lol

jerry1594

Finally kilt the bastard. My mistake was definitely trying to dodge right instead of left. After that he was really easy. But I also accidentally hit the merchant in the aqueduct :/ that's gonna hurt my wallet

Finally kilt the bastard. My mistake was definitely trying to dodge right instead of left. After that he was really easy. But I also accidentally hit the merchant in the aqueduct :/ that's gonna hurt my wallet

It's only human to commit a sin. Heh heh heh heh...

(BTW, it's really funny to sit there listening to her scream at you. She never stops.)

That's true, but I think if you get him right under you, he'll think you're close enough not to do a leap attack. But I'm not 100% sure!

jerry1594

It's only human to commit a sin. Heh heh heh heh...

(BTW, it's really funny to sit there listening to her scream at you. She never stops.)
It really is. Also funny since I just saw it is when the undead near the cliff bounce off your shield and go flailing down to the bottom.

Well I just beat Gaping Dragon! I'm off to Blighttown! Any tips on what to do before I go? I've heard horrible things about it. I have a Spider shield and some mosses. Is it really that bad? I've also heard that I should get the Rusted Iron Ring? Apparently that requires
a trip back to the Undead Asylum and another boss. Is it worth it to kill that boss so I can run through water?

Well I just beat Gaping Dragon! I'm off to Blighttown! Any tips on what to do before I go? I've heard horrible things about it. I have a Spider shield and some mosses. Is it really that bad? I've also heard that I should get the Rusted Iron Ring? Apparently that requires
a trip back to the Undead Asylum and another boss. Is it worth it to kill that boss so I can run through water?

You don't have to kill that boss to get Rusted Iron Ring (the boss is optional). It definitely makes wading through the swamp a lot easier, but it's not 100% necessary.

Blighttown isn't too bad, but you'll be glad you brought those mosses. You'll have a bit more trouble if you are on console, though, as the framerate in Blighttown is awful unless you're on PC.

Boogiepop

Didn't get a chance to mention it earlier, but I finished off Gravelord Nito. I happened to notice that I had 5 humanities sitting in my character from running around the forest and whatnot, so once I noticed the path to him was a bit of a pain I decided to just go ahead and kindle the fire before him up all the way. It's a good thing I did too, since I actually ran slightly low on Estus. Not having any way to permanently deal with those skeletons made him a little dicey, but I did totally get him on my first try! Now to decide on my next target! I'm thinking maybe run down into the New Londo Ruins, but if anybody would suggest otherwise I'm open to suggestions.

Also, man are enemies stupid in the Giant's Tomb. Just so many of them accidentally throwing themselves off edges with a backstep. I guess the lighting was a problem for them too. And do you get humanities back in addition to souls with the bloodstain. Figure you must since otherwise I'm pretty sure I would've lost the ones that were storing up in my character. Oh, and it always freaks me out when a humanity comes flying out of nowhere into your character. Took me a while to figure out what that was.

Top Bottom