• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Boogiepop

^ you do get your humanities back, and if you kill the skeletons with a divine weapon they won't reassemble

Yeah, I saw that but I'm pretty sure I didn't have a divine weapon handy. Either way I managed with the power of many, many Estus Flasks.

Edit: So I'm thinking just on basic whim that I'll go New Londo Ruins, then Duke's Archive's, then finish up with Demon Ruins for my remaining areas. Nothing terribly wrong with that plan, yeah?

Boogiepop

Well then. After I figured out that I need to use a Transient Curse that was quiet easy. The Four Kings went down like chumps. I'm guessing they're mostly just a threat if multiple spawn? They did like no damage so I just kind of hugged close and wailed on them, so by the time a second one spawned the one before it was always dead. Plus thanks to Firelink I had a ton of Estus, so that was nice. I'd imagine it'd be quite a pain to get back there though. And of course if you didn't have the ring and jumped off unknowingly that'd also really, really suck.

Anyway, that's all for today. I'm up to a nice meaty level 70 and halfway through these four bosses. With any luck maybe I'll manage the other two tomorrow!

Well then. After I figured out that I need to use a Transient Curse that was quiet easy. The Four Kings went down like chumps. I'm guessing they're mostly just a threat if multiple spawn? They did like no damage so I just kind of hugged close and wailed on them, so by the time a second one spawned the one before it was always dead. Plus thanks to Firelink I had a ton of Estus, so that was nice. I'd imagine it'd be quite a pain to get back there though. And of course if you didn't have the ring and jumped off unknowingly that'd also really, really suck.

Anyway, that's all for today. I'm up to a nice meaty level 70 and halfway through these four bosses. With any luck maybe I'll manage the other two tomorrow!

Yeah, that's the best strategy for the 4 Kings. Get in close and just do as much damage as quickly as possible. They can be a huge pain if you take your time, as fighting 2, 3, 4, or 5 of them is just a nightmare.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Made it to the painted world, after exploring some. Thought these harpies were bullshit, until I got grabbed. Lmao. The scenery is really nice. Guess I'm stuck here till I beat it?

Did the regular hollows get a boost in health? o.0

Tarkus

I can't kill the gargoyles. I feel so stupid.
Reverse hollow at the old church bonfire to become human. Summon Solaire just before fog door that leads to the rooftop. They tend to focus in Solaire and you can wail on them from behind.

Manu

Reverse hollow at the old church bonfire to become human. Summon Solaire just before fog door that leads to the rooftop. They tend to focus in Solaire and you can wail on them from behind.

Thank you. Got them on my first try with this. So many hours wasted T_T

I thought I was gonna die because someone invaded me before I got to the gargoyles, he caught up to me right outside the boss gate. I was able to enter the gate right when he was saluting to attack. Phew.

Made it to the painted world, after exploring some. Thought these harpies were bullshit, until I got grabbed. Lmao. The scenery is really nice. Guess I'm stuck here till I beat it?

Did the regular hollows get a boost in health? o.0

Yeah, you've got to get out of the Painted World before you can go anywhere else. The hollows there are definitely much stronger. As always, watch out for the torch hollows (and those damn bloated hollows). The Painted World is one of my favorite areas.

I thought I was gonna die because someone invaded me before I got to the gargoyles, he caught up to me right outside the boss gate. I was able to enter the gate right when he was saluting to attack. Phew.

Nice, that's a good feeling to get through the fog right before an invader is about to attack.

Good luck. It's just the beginning

TnK

No there isn't I believe.
Noo! How lucky do I need to be to get the black knight greatsword from the second black knight?

EDIT: NVM, will save just before the second black knight, back up that save, and keep trying to get the sword. If I kill him, and not get the drop, I'll simply bring back the old save and try again.

EDIT2: are ultra greatswords good in this game? Seems like the variety is far less compared to 2.

EDIT3: Man, why does the movement feel so wonky and slow compared to DeS/DaS2?

PranooY

Noo! How lucky do I need to be to get the black knight greatsword from the second black knight?

EDIT: NVM, will save just before the second black knight, back up that save, and keep trying to get the sword. If I kill him, and not get the drop, I'll simply bring back the old save and try again.

EDIT2: are ultra greatswords good in this game? Seems like the variety is far less compared to 2.

1. Equip Covetous Serpent Ring + 10 soft humanity, if u wish to increase your luck with the drop.

2. What do u mean save? Black knights (balder knights do) at the beginning, don't respawn once killed.

3 & 4. I went for Dex build, so I leveled up my endurance the most, equipped Havel's ring and kept my equip load under 25%. Slow means you are over encumbered.
If u are going with a Dex build too, I suggest killing the first undead merchant(male) to get uchigatana and gradually upgrade it to lightning (coz all armours have less lightning resistance).

TnK

1. Equip Covetous Serpent Ring + 10 soft humanity, if u wish to increase your luck with the drop.

2. What do u mean save? Black knights (balder knights do) at the beginning, don't respawn once killed.

3 & 4. I went for Dex build, so I leveled up my endurance the most, equipped Havel's ring and kept my equip load under 25%. Slow means you are over encumbered.
If u are going with a Dex build too, I suggest killing the first undead merchant(male) to get uchigatana and gradually upgrade it to lightning (coz all armours have less lightning resistance).
By save I meant backing up my older one, so that if things don't go as planned, I can restore a previous state and try again.

Planning to do a pure STR build like in DeS and DaS2.

Keep your equip load below 25% and you'll feel like you're flying in comparison to DS2.

Wrong thread, but the answer is yeah.
keeping equip load below 25% is impossible lol.

keeping equip load below 25% is impossible lol.

It's really not, especially once you get Havel's Ring and level up your Endurance. You won't be able to wear the best armor, but the mobility and extra i-frames from rolling are more than worth it.

Nordicus

The Four Kings went down like chumps. I'm guessing they're mostly just a threat if multiple spawn? They did like no damage so I just kind of hugged close and wailed on them, so by the time a second one spawned the one before it was always dead.
Yeah, Four kings don't do barely any damage when you're right up close because you're getting hit by the sword handle rather than the blade

Mistel

Banned

Ultra great swords are more varied in this game that in 2.

What's your equip load?

Boogiepop

Well then. First off, goddamn invasions. I don't really bother with that stuff, but I decided since I had a ton of humanities I'd go ahead and kindle up the bonfire before Seath. I kindled once, and then BOOM, instant invasion. Cost me an extra humanity. Honestly I probably could've beaten the guy, but I've never done PVP before and let myself be completely careless and got taken down. Oh well. I did manage to kindle up after that at least, so it only cost me a single humanity more than it should've, and I've got like 25 normal humanities plus a number of twins.

Also, Seath is apparently the first of these lords (and honestly one of the first bosses in general) where hugging close to him is a BAD idea. Got killed and cursed, and realized I probably should've gone after that thing in the cut-scene. Sucks that curse sticks around after death, as I only have one more purging stone after healing myself. Also, I better be able to melee this jerk effectively! I've come this far without needing any magic, so I don't plan to go back and grab any now!

PranooY

Well then. First off, goddamn invasions. I don't really bother with that stuff, but I decided since I had a ton of humanities I'd go ahead and kindle up the bonfire before Seath. I kindled once, and then BOOM, instant invasion. Cost me an extra humanity. Honestly I probably could've beaten the guy, but I've never done PVP before and let myself be completely careless and got taken down. Oh well. I did manage to kindle up after that at least, so it only cost me a single humanity more than it should've, and I've got like 25 normal humanities plus a number of twins.

Also, Seath is apparently the first of these lords (and honestly one of the first bosses in general) where hugging close to him is a BAD idea. Got killed and cursed, and realized I probably should've gone after that thing in the cut-scene. Sucks that curse sticks around after death, as I only have one more purging stone after healing myself. Also, I better be able to melee this jerk effectively! I've come this far without needing any magic, so I don't plan to go back and grab any now!

Just wear covetous Serpent ring. The clams outside Seath's door would give you tons of twinkling titanite and purging stone. Just make sure that you take then one-on-one and separately.
and Yep, that area is a huge invasion zone coz lot of people have hard time with Seath and try to invite. My advice stick to Seath's back Tail and not the side ones. and run as soon as he raises them. Also Seath is weak to lightning.

Boogiepop

Killed Seath and plunged into the Demon Ruins. Just took out the Demon Firesage, so I guess I'm making good progress. Also kind of crazy that this thing has essentially been three bosses thus far.

kionedrik

I dunno what happened but hugging him is the right thing to do but make sure to do it from the front of those tiny side tails - He ain't got no legs... Doing this makes the fight 100% fail proof.
If you try to go for the tail, the real one, take care with his tail stomp attacks which are quite hard to dodge.
Melee is the easiest way to deal with him, ranged attacks make him do his large AoE attacks. He has a high magic resistance (and fire iirc) and is vulnerable to lightning,

PranooY

I bought Artorias of the Abyss again and this time on my US PSN. Got broken pendant :).
So basically i wasted my money, the first time around.

I bought Artorias of the Abyss again and this time on my US PSN. Got broken pendant :).
So basically i wasted my money, the first time around.

That sucks. =( Well, at least it's worth the money. The DLC is great, with 3 of the best bosses in the entire series.

PranooY

Ok, I have 2 fully upgraded weapons that I mainly rely on - +5 lightning Uchigatana and +10 fire Gargoyle halbred.
Now the issue is that i have a lot of boss souls and embers and titanite in my inventory. Suggest weapon that can be made/upgraded with any boss souls or any weapon which has highest strike damage. Please suggest the ones with weight <= 10, coz my build is Dex. What to do with the rest of the boss souls? Liquidate them for souls?

Also what does chaos/occult weapon do? I never tried those...

Ok, I have 2 fully upgraded weapons that I mainly rely on - +5 lightning Uchigatana and +10 fire Gargoyle halbred.
Now the issue is that i have a lot of boss souls and embers and titanite in my inventory. Suggest weapon that can be made/upgraded with any boss souls or any weapon which has highest strike damage. Please suggest the ones with weight <= 10, coz my build is Dex. What to do with the rest of the boss souls? Liquidate them for souls?

Also what does chaos/occult weapon do? I never tried those...

I've never really used many boss weapons, so perhaps somebody else can give you good advice. Chaos/occult weapons are just another form of damage that some enemies are resistant to and some are weak to.

Jesus, I just started the dlc..It threw me into a boss fight. Beat it in one try coz it was weak to my fire weapon.

Sanctuary Guardian isn't too hard, depending on your build. It's a decent boss battle, but definitely not the best in the DLC.

Mistel

Banned
You've got a lot of choice then for strike as all of the hammers are below ten weight thingies try the reinforced club for example cheap, light, and inflicts bleed.

Mistel

Banned
Gutter is like a they giving you the exit in front of you but put the lights off so you have to take a innecesary parkour to get to the exit it was in front of you, pretty stupid design.
I wonder how many people just attempted to walk straight there and fell?

Boogiepop

Okay, let me just say I hate the freaking Bed of Chaos. It's not a hard boss, in fact in theory it's straight up easy. But goddamn, it's the probably the boss I died most to in this runthrough. Why... why must it require a stupid precision jump when you're under fire? So, so many deaths to that stupid jump. Including my personal favorite, when I made the jump and it looked good, but the damn hand swiped me out of the air. The worst part is I could have been done a good 20-30 minutes earlier if I didn't die to the stupid fire attack inside like a few steps from the end. I foolishly wasn't equipping the dumb anti-fire ring because to do so meant toggling back and forth with the anti-lava ring (have the "don't take me off or I break!" ring equipped). But ugh, finally done with that.

Oh, and the Centipede demon boss was easy, went down first try, though it took a bit to lure him from the comfort of his lava. Also, Lost Izalith is kind of a bleh area. Just a ton of lava and giant demons, and it's hard to see much when you're not on solid ground. Just out of curiosity, BTW, what's down in that pit with the gaping mouths and some treasures? I ended up deciding against throwing myself down there.

Anyway, going to take a short break and then finally offer up my final lord soul!

Booshka

You don't need to jump to that branch there by the way. If you come at it from a different angle, you can just fall on to it, which is much safer and more consistent.

Boogiepop

You don't need to jump to that branch there by the way. If you come at it from a different angle, you can just fall on to it, which is much safer and more consistent.

Well then. Still annoying, but I guess that would've been better. Oh well, still over and done with at least.

Top Bottom