• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

I wonder how many people just attempted to walk straight there and fell?

maybe the runners, the light source on your character is more bright than the one in the tomb of giants which forced you to use a light source, just kill the statues and jump, in Artorias DLC they did the same in the
Abyss

ibweLQQGdZ0AV6.gif

Yeah the Bed of Chaos is a disaster. There is a very quick method to kill it with firebombs and watching the speed runners do it it looks so easy, but you have to very precise with them. I've managed it once in maybe 10 attempts.

The only saving grace is that if you die after hitting one or both of the sides they don't respawn.

PranooY

Woah,
Artorias
(in Artorias of abyss) is a good boss. Really requires patience coz he can finish you off in a moment and you need abt 30+ strike with a top notch weapon. Almost got him to zero and got overconfident - result: dead -in one rotating strike.
Btw Wat the f* happened to this guy? I thought he was supposed to be a knight in shining armor. Wait, don't answer that - I hope there will be an explanation.

Woah,
Artorias
(in Artorias of abyss) is a good boss. Really requires patience coz he can finish you off in a moment and you need abt 30+ strike with a top notch weapon. Almost got him to zero and got overconfident - result: dead -in one rotating strike.
Btw Wat the f* happened to this guy? I thought he was supposed to be a knight in shining armor. Wait, don't answer that - I hope there will be an explanation.

Yeah, Artorias is such a good boss.

And yeah, pay attention to NPC dialogue and item descriptions in the DLC and you should be able to piece together what happened to him.

PranooY

Yeah, Artorias is such a good boss.

And yeah, pay attention to NPC dialogue and item descriptions in the DLC and you should be able to piece together what happened to him.

Finally got him. My hands are all sweaty now. Was there any NPC, I could have summoned?

Finally got him. My hands are all sweaty now. Was there any NPC, I could have summoned?

Nice job! I love how precise you have to be with Artorias. He gives so little time for healing, and if your dodges aren't perfect he'll pull off some really nasty combos on you. Once you get his attack pattern down it almost feels like a dance. Those are the kinds of bosses that I love.

No NPC summons for Artorias, although you can summon other players.

PranooY

Nice job! I love how precise you have to be with Artorias. He gives so little time for healing, and if your dodges aren't perfect he'll pull off some really nasty combos on you. Once you get his attack pattern down it almost feels like a dance. Those are the kinds of bosses that I love.

No NPC summons for Artorias, although you can summon other players.

Yep. Also his leaping attack is too deadly. So can't stay far away. Yea, totally loved this boss.

Was Artorias left handed perchance?
He was using the sword on his right. Or is this a clue? ;)

Btw.. In the room next to artorias with many bonfires and stuff- battle of Stoicism -- I don't seem to be getting other players. :(

Boogiepop

And I've beaten the game. Looks like it took me just under 25 hours total. I ended up spending some time learning to parry in order to beat ol' Gwyn (hadn't parried at all pretty much the whole game up to that point) but I got him eventually. Glad there was a "proper" final boss in this game unlike Demon's (though I of course realize the end boss of Boletarian Palace is pretty much the end boss).

So yeah, overall I enjoyed it a good bit more than Demon's Souls. The one thing I'd say I preferred was the Nexus+level select setup they had going. Ironically it felt more open than the open world, because you never felt stuck on a path like I did sometimes in Dark (IE you CAN go to a different area, but if you're already at a bonfire before warping/that you can't warp back to you feel kind of pressured to stick to that branch till you finish it). Other than that, stuff like no encumbrance and the Estus Flasks did a lot for me. And I'm really, really glad they figured out implementing shortcuts more thoroughly. I mean, the beginning of Boletarian Palace in Demon's showed great promise, but then the kind of dropped the ball on shortcuts for the rest of the game. Though I will say that I really wish they would've given better routes here for all the lord souls bosses.

Though I will say it's a bit of a shame that a lot of the bosses really can't handle it too well when you hug close and strafe. I actually think I may have liked Demon's collection of bosses a tad better. I weirdly don't feel there was anything quite as impressive as the Tower Knight or that giant fire demon (which to be fair I don't recall being quite as good as it was on paper, but at least it certainly left one heck of an impression). Also, I just want to say that most of the bosses got me kind of into Monster Hunter mode. They actually have a bit of a weirdly similar feel there.

Anyway, I had a good time with the game for sure, though I think I'll take a nice break from it rather than doing DLC or New Game+ or any of that stuff, as I'm feeling pretty satisfied for now. Maybe I'll take another year break before picking up/digging into the sequel, like I did from Demon's to Dark. This stuff is enjoyable, but it kind of wears me down, haha.

Btw.. In the room next to artorias with many bonfires and stuff- battle of Stoicism -- I don't seem to be getting other players. :(

Yeah, the Battle of Stoicism is pretty dead. Nobody really uses it, unfortunately. You'll have better luck doing PVP with Cracked Red Eye Orbs or Red Soapstones at the Oolacile Township bonfire right by the Battle of Stoicism. It's a pretty popular PVP area.

Gorillaz

Oolacile Township by the bonfire is the PvP hotspot. Everyone is fighting there

Woah,
Artorias

he's such a good boss that they decided in DS2 to make alot of bosses a carbon copy of him with different movesets or different speeds of fighting lol

he's such a good boss that they decided in DS2 to make alot of bosses a carbon copy of him with different movesets or different speeds of fighting lol

But somehow never managing to capture what actually made Artorias really good. =\

(I did like Dark Souls 2 and found a lot of the bosses were pretty fun, but the best DS2 bosses can't hold a candle to the best DS1 bosses, unfortunately.)

I bought Artorias of the Abyss again and this time on my US PSN. Got broken pendant :).
So basically i wasted my money, the first time around.

By the way, if you want the whole game on disc, it is available in European editions, which will play on any PS3 since it is region free. I imported the UK Prepare to Die edition since it never came out in USA.

You've already spent $30 on just getting the DLC, but this might be worth it long term so you don't have to worry about your PSN account and game licenses.

PranooY

Yeah, the Battle of Stoicism is pretty dead. Nobody really uses it, unfortunately. You'll have better luck doing PVP with Cracked Red Eye Orbs or Red Soapstones at the Oolacile Township bonfire right by the Battle of Stoicism. It's a pretty popular PVP area.

Woah.. Lots of invaders.....Already had 3..

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ok, I have 2 fully upgraded weapons that I mainly rely on - +5 lightning Uchigatana and +10 fire Gargoyle halbred.
[ ... ] my build is Dex

Damn son. Undo that lightning or fire element and just make those weapons +15. Elemental weapons have no scaling in this game (unlike in DkS2), +15 will scale with your dex much better and it won't split the damage between two types.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I agree with those calling Artorias the best boss in the game, he really was awesome to fight, took skill and patience to beat, and felt incredibly reward to finally take down. Also very much agree that the bosses in Demons Souls in general is better (and I prefer the game itself as well), but both games are among the top 5 of this gen imo.

PranooY

Damn son. Undo that lightning or fire element and just make those weapons +15. Elemental weapons have no scaling in this game (unlike in DkS2), +15 will scale with your dex much better and it won't split the damage between two types.
I do have a halbred which is +5 raw. And I'm upgrading artorias straight sword to +15.

Okay so I made some progress! I finished the Gaping Dragon yesterday, got the Rusted Iron Ring, picked up the Claymore and upgraded it to +5. Now I'm at the first (only?) bonfire in Blighttown and it's kind of a bitch. I think I can get through it if I'm patient. I kinda just want it to be over now. I have a couple questions:

1) Is the Claymore a good choice? I've been mostly levelling strength, vitality, and endurance.
2) What's a good upgrade path for it? I wanted to make it +6, but I had to ascend it or something? I decided to wait because it looked I didn't really know what was happening.

Okay so I made some progress! I finished the Gaping Dragon yesterday, got the Rusted Iron Ring, picked up the Claymore and upgraded it to +5. Now I'm at the first (only?) bonfire in Blighttown and it's kind of a bitch. I think I can get through it if I'm patient. I kinda just want it to be over now. I have a couple questions:

1) Is the Claymore a good choice? I've been mostly levelling strength, vitality, and endurance.
2) What's a good upgrade path for it? I wanted to make it +6, but I had to ascend it or something? I decided to wait because it looked I didn't really know what was happening.

Claymore is a good weapon, especially if you enjoy using it. Regular upgrade path is generally the best. You should have gotten the large ember in the Depths (behind that first butcher). Take that to Andre next time you have a chance and use your Large Titanite to upgrade it to +10. You'll get another ember later in the game that can take it to +15.

Claymore is a good weapon, especially if you enjoy using it. Regular upgrade path is generally the best. You should have gotten the large ember in the Depths (behind that first butcher). Take that to Andre next time you have a chance and use your Large Titanite to upgrade it to +10. You'll get another ember later in the game that can take it to +15.

Wait does it take it immediately to +10 or do I need a bunch of Large Titanite to go from 6 to 10?

Booshka

9 Titanite Shards, 9 Large, 7 Chunks, 1 Slab

After making hundreds of +15 weapons, I have the upgrade totals forever ingrained in my head.

Manu

Progress update:

Killed Capra Demon. The first attempt lasted about ten seconds, and went something like this:

"OMG it's Capra Demon, everyone says it's hard, let's analyze his attacks for a bit... Why am I already dead?"

For my second attempt I reversed hollowing, summoned an archer at the door and used resin to add fire to my sword. We killed each other at the same time but it counted as a victory. Success! Capra down. This fight also lasted about ten seconds lol.

Well, made it to the depths and found the Gaping Dragon. It's not very hard but unfortunately I only had 2 Estus Flasks and couldn't heal anymore, but I got him to 50% with those two. Is there a bonfire in the Depths? Because I couldn't find one and it's a really large level :/

Progress update:

Killed Capra Demon. The first attempt lasted about ten seconds, and went something like this:

"OMG it's Capra Demon, everyone says it's hard, let's analyze his attacks for a bit... Why am I already dead?"

For my second attempt I reversed hollowing, summoned an archer at the door and used resin to add fire to my sword. We killed each other at the same time but it counted as a victory. Success! Capra down. This fight also lasted about ten seconds lol.

Well, made it to the depths and found the Gaping Dragon. It's not very hard but unfortunately I only had 2 Estus Flasks and couldn't heal anymore, but I got him to 50% with those two. Is there a bonfire in the Depths? Because I couldn't find one and it's a really large level :/

Yeah, there's a bonfire in the Depths. You have to find a key later in the level, though, and then backtrack to a locked door that's close to the beginning of the area.

Manu

Yeah, there's a bonfire in the Depths. You have to find a key later in the level, though, and then backtrack to a locked door that's close to the beginning of the area.

I found a key, I hope it's the right one.

I also found the merchant and bought the Crystal Sword, it's a decent damage upgrade.

jerry1594

Wait does it take it immediately to +10 or do I need a bunch of Large Titanite to go from 6 to 10?
You need a bunch of Large Titanite. There are some enemies in blighttown that you can farm Large Titanite off of.
Also if you have 15,000 souls buy the Poisonbite Ring from Oswald in the parish. It's helpful with poison. And use a dung pie on yourself when you're down there. It helps with those blowdart snipers.

I killed the demon a while ago but just got into the depths. I think I may be underleveled but I'm definitely too hesitant :/. Also have unblinded myself for much of the playthrough, either because I was curious to look at things or didn't want to rush in and lose my junk.

I've just started playing this for the first time on PC (Prepare to Die edition), it's my first time playing any of the Souls games. The only thing I knew ahead of starting is that 1) GAF apparently loves these games and 2) it's really quite hard.

So far I'm about 6-7 hours in, at least 90 minutes of which was spent trying to learn parry timing against the first Black Knight, a lesson I didn't really learn much from as I eventually (accidentally) backstabbed him off a ledge before learning that the knights don't respawn. I did better against the second Black Knight up on his tower though, even getting his greatsword. A little bit of grinding and I was able to equip it two-handed, and now everything is getting horribly murdered, so I'm working to get my strength up enough to equip it with a shield.

I'm loving the game so far, I must say. To me it feels like a slightly less complex, much more punishing Monster Hunter - it's very much about patience, knowledge and observation, with the player's skill being far, far more important than gear upgrades. That puts it very much up my street.

Booshka

I've just started playing this for the first time on PC (Prepare to Die edition), it's my first time playing any of the Souls games. The only thing I knew ahead of starting is that 1) GAF apparently loves these games and 2) it's really quite hard.

So far I'm about 6-7 hours in, at least 90 minutes of which was spent trying to learn parry timing against the first Black Knight, a lesson I didn't really learn much from as I eventually (accidentally) backstabbed him off a ledge before learning that the knights don't respawn. I did better against the second Black Knight up on his tower though, even getting his greatsword. A little bit of grinding and I was able to equip it two-handed, and now everything is getting horribly murdered, so I'm working to get my strength up enough to equip it with a shield.

I'm loving the game so far, I must say. To me it feels like a slightly less complex, much more punishing Monster Hunter - it's very much about patience, knowledge and observation, with the player's skill being far, far more important than gear upgrades.

If you were smart enough to figure out that you could 2 hand weapons with less than the stated requirements for STR, then you will be fine.

I suggest just 2 handing that sword for a while, keep yourself fast rolling, block with the sword if you have to here and there, and dodge then attack all the other times. That Ultra Greatsword will stagger and murder pretty much everything 2 handed, so as long as you can get first hit in, your enemy will never hit back.

Also, upgrades are very important in this game, not as important as player skill, but more important than player stats. It just feels less important because the weapon you got is automatically very strong once you can wield it, then gets really strong as you upgrade it. Most normal weapons require a heavy investment in upgrading to carry you through the game.

jerry1594

Wow, that's some great luck. I've been centering my playthrough around getting the gold serpent ring and coming back for that sword.

Useful to know, thank you!

This goes back to what I said about the game throwing you in the deep end - I find that (good) games which have complex systems behind them and chuck people in at the deep end without a word of explanation or lengthy tutorials often form the best communities around them.

Booshka

Suggest a good sword for my dex then. Which i can make +!5.

No, i hate using 2 handed weapon.
I'm using lighting uchi and a silver knight shield.
Find the Very Large Ember, revert your Uchi to +10 via Blacksmiths, then modify it to +11 with the Very Large Ember at the Blacksmith in Undead Parish.

Try the Falchion, Rapier, Estoc, Flamberge, Iaito, and any other weapon with Dex scaling. Use it on random hollows in Undead Parish, if you like it, upgrade it.

Also if you have 15,000 souls buy the Poisonbite Ring from Oswald in the parish. It's helpful with poison. And use a dung pie on yourself when you're down there. It helps with those blowdart snipers.

I killed the demon a while ago but just got into the depths. I think I may be underleveled but I'm definitely too hesitant :/. Also have unblinded myself for much of the playthrough, either because I was curious to look at things or didn't want to rush in and lose my junk.

Thanks!

I just finished Queelag! Took me 6-7 tries but I got it down and I'm super pumped to go back above ground. I want to go to Sen's Fortress, but I've heard there are other routes. Any tips/preferences?

Also the name Sen's Fortress reminds me of the castles from Super Mario World and it fills me with joy
that will soon be crushed.

Also where's everyone's favorite large titanite farming spot in Blighttown?
Edit: apparently I can just buy them from a dude in Sen's? That sounds like a better plan to me.

PranooY

Find the Very Large Ember, revert your Uchi to +10 via Blacksmiths, then modify it to +11 with the Very Large Ember at the Blacksmith in Undead Parish.

Try the Falchion, Rapier, Estoc, Flamberge, Iaito, and any other weapon with Dex scaling. Use it on random hollows in Undead Parish, if you like it, upgrade it.

nvm.

i upgraded my Iaito btw to +15.

Booshka

I have an Iaito +5, but i had used my large ember for raw upgrade. I see that only one large ember is there which is in the depths and which i had used for halbred upgrade. So what do i do?
Does reverting consume the large ember or give it back?

You give Embers to blacksmiths so that they can then reinforce weapons further, they aren't consumed. You use Titanite Shards, Large and Small, Chunks and finally a Slab to reinforce weapons.

Reverting takes the weapon back one modification, so from +6-10 back to +5. You lose all of the materials that you used to upgrade, but you can reset and start over to down a better upgrade path.

Since you have an Iaito, modify it to +6 with the blacksmith in Undead Parish. Farm some Large titanite shards, or grind souls and buy them from the blacksmith that made your Uchi Lightning. Try to get it to +10, then compare it to your Lightning Uchi for damage output. Stop using Titanite Chunks on your Lightning Uchi, save them to eventually use on the Iaito, when you find the Very large ember, which can take the Iaito to +11, and then on its way to +15.

If you are going to level Dexterity and/or Strength you need to work toward +15 to benefit from scaling.

edit: lol, you are set then, use the Iaito. It is way better than the Uchi if you have around 30 or more Dex. Get your dex to 40 to get the best scaling.

PranooY

You give Embers to blacksmiths so that they can then reinforce weapons further, they aren't consumed. You use Titanite Shards, Large and Small, Chunks and finally a Slab to reinforce weapons.

Reverting takes the weapon back one modification, so from +6-10 back to +5. You lose all of the materials that you used to upgrade, but you can reset and start over to down a better upgrade path.

Since you have an Iaito, modify it to +6 with the blacksmith in Undead Parish. Farm some Large titanite shards, or grind souls and buy them from the blacksmith that made your Uchi Lightning. Try to get it to +10, then compare it to your Lightning Uchi for damage output. Stop using Titanite Chunks on your Lightning Uchi, save them to eventually use on the Iaito, when you find the Very large ember, which can take the Iaito to +11, and then on its way to +15.

If you are going to level Dexterity and/or Strength you need to work toward +15 to benefit from scaling.

edit: lol, you are set then, use the Iaito. It is way better than the Uchi if you have around 30 or more Dex. Get your dex to 40 to get the best scaling.

I didn't care much about parameter scaling, since most bosses are weak against fire lightning etc. Then i came to manus, and i was having trouble coz he didn't have any elemental weakness. This new Iaito happened me beat him in the first turn after i started using it.

Edit: Manus was a great boss too...

Top Bottom