• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Mistel

Banned
No Reason.....I like single handed ones.

BTW...
I beat Manus, Artorias and Kalameet. Great bosses.
Anything else left?
Oh I thought there would be a reason if you hated it. Personal preferences aside.

No bosses left other than dual sanctuary guardians and killing Chester.

PranooY

Oh I thought there would be a reason if you hated it. Personal preferences aside.

No bosses left other than dual sanctuary guardians and killing Chester.

I killed Dark Chester phantom. The real Chester is near the artorias bridge. Should i kill him too? and What is this dual sanctuary guardians? I had killed one.

Ruuppa

I killed Dark Chester phantom. The real Chester is near the artorias bridge. Should i kill him too? and What is this dual sanctuary guardians? I had killed one.

There are now two respawning Guardians where you fought the first one. They're a fun challenge.

Chester invaded you and tried to murder you; Time for vengeance I say! You get his swanky outfit afterwards as well.

PranooY

There are now two respawning Guardians where you fought the first one. They're a fun challenge.

Chester invaded you and tried to murder you; Time for vengeance I say! You get his swanky outfit afterwards as well.
Woah, two is quite handful and besides they are spamming lightning.

Decided to revisit this since I never got around to finishing it and recently finished DS2. I forgot what it was like to go through Blighttown. Going to try and get a Black knight Halberd andtry to do this using a save from PS+. Didn't realize you can only copy it once per day. Guess thats better than starting over repeatedly.

Nordicus

Woah, two is quite handful and besides they are spamming lightning.
It's kinda funny how weirdly Monster Hunterish it gets with two of them. The 2 guardians have less health than the one in solo fight (like MH) and they keep blocking each others' path. Even O&S do that at times but both of their movesets are a bit more compatible

Edit: also did a bit of invading today, which is not common for me. Once in Undead Parish, once in Lower Undead Burg. The first one I just slashed again and again at his back (though no backstab) with my Fire Bandit's Knife +3 because he didn't notice me and just tried to kill the crossbow hollow near the bonfire. Kind of mean as he didn't get a chance to react thanks to the fire and bleed, but hey, he had a Drake Sword equipped so suddenly I feel less bad about it :p . The dude in lower burg I let clear the hollows and prepare. Almost died there to his drake sword (another one?), but miraculously managed to perform a riposte-to-backstab combo at low health.

PranooY

It's kinda funny how weirdly Monster Hunterish it gets with two of them. The 2 guardians have less health than the one in solo fight (like MH) and they keep blocking each others' path. Even O&S do that at times but both of their movesets are a bit more compatible

I beat 'em now.. But i got only 3000 souls each, considering it was tough since they were spamming lightning,

BTW, can i kill the Hell kite Dragon? I didn't bother with it since it didn't block my path.
Killed it.. It was damn easy at this level.

Edit 2: Is it me or is Gywn ridiculously easy? BTW... Wat happens once i beat Gywn?
Going out to buy Dark Souls 2 now.... :) Will do NG+ later...

Mistel

Banned
Wat happens once i beat Gywn?
It end your play through and starts a new one.
Hawkeye for an item i dont remember.
Gough_Greatbow_ig.png

You can't hunt dragons without it...

Jamesways

So, this game is free for Games with Gold next week. I've been prepping a new character to co-op with all the new kids. Keeping the level at 25 for now, until Anor Londo, then will jump to 45 or so.

Already have a +15 Uchi adn +5 ascended Pyro flame, so good to go. Now just farming large and chunks of titanite to get the armor up.
I've noticed a lot of new players lately though, been summoned a lot in this prep run.

I'm starting to feel a bit guilty though, with upgraded stuff, early bosses go down so easy, I feel helping people is more like hindering them in the long run. Ah well.

Did get summoned twice late last night by a guy just wanting to run around the bottom of blightown, of course he didn't heal me much so I died twice from the poison (saving my purple clumps). Was waiting for him to do the boss, but just ran around over and over through the swamp, lost, and wouldn't follow me. Should have used a sep crystal.

Did experience some hacked invasions too. Guy invading level 10 people with end game gear, unlitmited hitpoints and the 50 str stat weapons. That's a bummer for new kids.

What's a good early divine weapon? I'm gonna try getting the scythe early for this dex build (lvl 20).

^^You get that weapon if you kill Kalameet, afaik. Besides, Gough is too bro for me to kill.

Mistel

Banned
What's a good early divine weapon? I'm gonna try getting the scythe early for this dex build (lvl 20).
You don't need a divine weapon you can literately run straight on through and get it. Or you could get the astora straight sword (it's kinda awful) but that's divine for free and you won't use it for long probably anyway.

Mistel

Banned
Derp, I was wandering for 15 mins trying to remember how to unflood new londo. I just had to kill Ingward.

+10 scythe before Sen's!
You could get it to +15 with a bit of gathering of chunks in New Londo and getting a slab from the great hollow's crystal lizards.

You could get it to +15 with a bit of gathering of chunks in New Londo and getting a slab from the great hollow's crystal lizards.

Oh yeah, I forgot the Darkwraiths drop chunks. I guess I'll use some humanities to raise that droprate.

I killed all the available black knights, some dropped chunks.

edit: nvm, checking the wiki only one dropped so far. 1 from the BK and 2 from lizards.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Your equip burden determines your mobility. If you have over a certain % of burden your mobility is handicapped so you roll more clumsily and your stamina recovers a lot slower.

Mistel

Banned
I dunno guy was saying you could "move around with heavy armor as if was medium armor"
They are saying it boosts equip load in a really round about way once you go over 50% you get fat roll etc.

Just whilst on the subjects Havel's ring increases equip load by 50%.

Ruuppa

Fuck these Archers. Lol.

Three Poison Arrows will make them easy.

The absolute best way to deal with them is to simply YOLO! -run right up to them. It's relatively safe if you just keep moving fast. Once you get to the one on the right, he'll usually just walk off the edge by himself if you keep blocking.

Levyne

Banned
I've never had much luck poisoning them. Yeah, running up to the one on the right always seems to be the safest choice. There's still a small area where the other can get you in the back if you're not careful.

Manu

Played for about an hour. Killed Gaping Dragon with half life since I got cursed, got a bit into Blighttown, got killed.

Blighttown reminds me of the Valley of Defilement, and not in a good way.

Played for about an hour. Killed Gaping Dragon with half life since I got cursed, got a bit into Blighttown, got killed.

Blighttown reminds me of the Valley of Defilement, and not in a good way.
The first time in Blighttown is pretty damn annoying and exhausting. It gets better when you learn the place.

There's one area in particular I'll hate forever in this game, but that's late game territory.

cormack12

Gold Member
Right guys, I'm determined to get through this game now. I'm only going to be playing this and watchdogs for the next couple of weeks. I've asked a couple of times and sort fo flirted with it but I'm going to commit now. At the moment I'm stuck after my last effort to get further, still at the same point too :/ At this point I'm really thinking of starting over as I'm not enjoying my choice of weapon. Perhaps it can be fixed? Most people seem to say go a pyromancer on first run through?

Location: Bonfire after titanite demon. I haven't killed the titanite demon, ran past him. I have a choice to kill Capra or Moonlight. Capra is just a no go for me, really frustrates me - also can you plunge attack with a spear? Doesn't seem to work. At all. I don't seem to able to kite or circle strafe as fast as other people and my gear seems really underpowered. My stamina also doesn't seem to last long and every attack with a little weight behind it seems to make me stagger. I can't find a better shield though. I'm trying to take the stone knights down at the moment, but I can't get the upper hand. I'll get past one then fight the other but because the fights always go to the wire, sometimes the AI just gets the last hit off before me. I'm quite a defensive player which is why I thought spear would suit me.......maybe DEX build completely wrong for me?

Character details:
Class: Wanderer
SL: 20
Playtime: 12 hours
VIT: 15
END: 15
STR: 14
DEX: 17
HP: 680
Equip: 20/55
MH: Winged Spear +4
OH: Knight shield +2
Black leather armour set with gargoyle helm

Edit: I haven't really used or found any sort of items like gold resin, dung, poison etc. I have a few things that seem to cure poison but that's about it. No idea how I would use the objects above either.

Nordicus

At this point I'm really thinking of starting over as I'm not enjoying my choice of weapon. Perhaps it can be fixed? Most people seem to say go a pyromancer on first run through?
Naah, no reason to start over, though you can perhaps introduce some basic sorcery into your character's strategies if you have 12 INT. You get a pyromancy in the area right after Capra.

Capra is just a no go for me, really frustrates me - also can you plunge attack with a spear? Doesn't seem to work. At all.
You can but I don't think it has a special animation like for Taurus

I don't seem to able to kite or circle strafe as fast as other people and my gear seems really underpowered. My stamina also doesn't seem to last long and every attack with a little weight behind it seems to make me stagger. I can't find a better shield though. I'm trying to take the stone knights down at the moment, but I can't get the upper hand. I'll get past one then fight the other but because the fights always go to the wire, sometimes the AI just gets the last hit off before me.
Your knight shield is actually quite decent, even if the kite shields Andre sells would be marginally better and lighter too, letting you pack heavier armor while still keeping the same movement and roll speed.

Your playstyle seems to be the thing requiring most fixing, as you seem to have issues with stamina management, patience and distance, and potentially rolling.
With your speed, the only times stone knights should be catching up with you is after they've used the spell that drastically hinders your movement speed and disables rolling. Backing away without attacking should always keep you out of reach.
You should also let go of your block button when it's safe, because your stamina recovers way quicker when your shield's not up. When attacking, do not use up all your stamina, leave a sliver to use for an emergency dodge
Last but not least, heavy attacks consume a lot of stamina to block and stone knights' attacks are especially heavy at that point in the game. Try not to "tank" them with your shield, but use your less stamina-consuming medium speed dodgeroll more often.

I'm quite a defensive player which is why I thought spear would suit me.......maybe DEX build completely wrong for me?
Maybe but not sure. Dexterity builds tend to have a tougher time against stone knights in melee because only blunt weapons deal decent damage. However, you could also go to the merchant in Undead Burg and buy a whole lot of Firebombs for 50 souls a pop. Having a handful of those on you should give you an edge this early in the game.

Edit: I haven't really used or found any sort of items like gold resin, dung, poison etc. I have a few things that seem to cure poison but that's about it. No idea how I would use the objects above either.
Resins are really good temporary buffs for non-elemental weapons. When they're still expensive and rare, use against bosses or tougher normal enemies, when they get cheap enough for you, use liberally.

Ruuppa

Right guys, I'm determined to get through this game now. I'm only going to be playing this and watchdogs for the next couple of weeks. I've asked a couple of times and sort fo flirted with it but I'm going to commit now. At the moment I'm stuck after my last effort to get further, still at the same point too :/ At this point I'm really thinking of starting over as I'm not enjoying my choice of weapon. Perhaps it can be fixed? Most people seem to say go a pyromancer on first run through?

Location: Bonfire after titanite demon. I haven't killed the titanite demon, ran past him. I have a choice to kill Capra or Moonlight. Capra is just a no go for me, really frustrates me - also can you plunge attack with a spear? Doesn't seem to work. At all. I don't seem to able to kite or circle strafe as fast as other people and my gear seems really underpowered. My stamina also doesn't seem to last long and every attack with a little weight behind it seems to make me stagger. I can't find a better shield though. I'm trying to take the stone knights down at the moment, but I can't get the upper hand. I'll get past one then fight the other but because the fights always go to the wire, sometimes the AI just gets the last hit off before me. I'm quite a defensive player which is why I thought spear would suit me.......maybe DEX build completely wrong for me?

Character details:

Are you on PC? I could help you through Capra if you are, I have a guy on that level range. Capra is a big tough guy with dogs, and the first real roadblock for many players.

I wouldn't recommend going Sorcery unless you're willing to commit to that path, and get at least 30-ish Int, since that's when the good buffs come and the damage starts taking off.

One of the best shields, metagame -wise, is sold by the Undead Merchant in Burg: The Heater Shield. It's light, has good parry-frames and best of all it has 100% physical resist. Aside from that, the Balder Knights in Parish can drop the Balder Shield, which is one of the best PVE shields in the game. My personal favourite is hidden in the Darkroot Basin though, behind a Black Knight.

As for the Stone Knights, you can bypass all but one of them completely if you want to go straight for the boss. Just circle around hugging the left wall of the valley.

Tarkus

Character details:
I honestly think you're underleveled at this point. You need to do some grinding in undead berg/parish. To be a defensive player who uses the spear, your need to pump your endurance way up. I'm not that much further than you (the depths) and I can handle all those enemies you mentioned fairly easily. My endurance is 27 and I'm sort of a defensive player that uses a pike and mainly backstabs, although I'm quite aggressive. It's also a good idea to go back to the undead asylum and practice on the black knights there as well as those in berg and parish. You can't hold the shield up constantly. You must hit block just before the attack or you'll never have any stamina to attack.

A tip on the Capra demon: go around him and climb the stairs and stand on the archway. Kill those annoying dogs first when they follow you. The demon has just one attack that can hit you here and he uses it rarely, plus the frame rate takes a nosedive with the dogs around (ps3). Then go down and melee the demon with the same techniques you learned from the black knights. You'll find that he's really quite easy.

Character details:

Upgrade your scimitar and Dex and use it. Use a lighter shield with 100% physical resistance. Two hand your scimitar often and learn to fast dodge. Be on the lookout for a falchion, when you find it, upgrade it and switch to it. Unleash the power of the Wanderer.

So I just found out that you can co-op without being human! I had no idea! Any tips for my first co-op? I'm level 36 at Sen's Fortress (haven't beaten it). Where should I go?

Nordicus

Ugh, how am I supposed to kill Ceaseless Discharge?
At this point you're kinda not, but if you insist:
Go into the small path that isn't quite in Ceaseless' face and bait his arm slam. His reach should be a bit too short by a hair and you'll not be hit

So I just found out that you can co-op without being human! I had no idea! Any tips for my first co-op? I'm level 36 at Sen's Fortress (haven't beaten it). Where should I go?

Go up to the top and put sign down in front of boss fog door. You'll earn 20k souls per victory and 1 humanity. It's a great boss to farm as a phantom, I routinely ended up with 99 humanity and 500+k souls from that area. Don't level up until you're ready to move on or don't want to farm that boss anymore, though you should be good there up to about SL 45.

Top Bottom