• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

So, where do I go after ringing the second bell if Ceaseless Discharge is not the right way?

EDIT: Oh Snap! You need to go back all the way down to the church and visit that giant door now you can also wake up something in the firelink bonfire so visit that place too

Manu

So... the Firekeeper is dead? Shit :/

EDIT: I also killed a knight who attacked me below the Firelink Shrine. Weird.

Woohoo! Just beat the Iron Golem. He really goes down easy with a lightning spear +1.
Go up to the top and put sign down in front of boss fog door. You'll earn 20k souls per victory and 1 humanity. It's a great boss to farm as a phantom, I routinely ended up with 99 humanity and 500+k souls from that area. Don't level up until you're ready to move on or don't want to farm that boss anymore, though you should be good there up to about SL 45.

Quelaag and the boss of Sen's Fortress are both good options.

Cool, will do. What should I do with my souls after co-op? I just bought 11 Large titanite with the 40k souls.

I don't want to level up too high (might try to get to 3 attunement slots though). Should I just be upgrading my weapons now? I'm at Claymore +8. Is the Lightning Spear worth upgrading a bunch?

Sorry for all the questions haha

Right guys, I'm determined to get through this game now. I'm only going to be playing this and watchdogs for the next couple of weeks. I've asked a couple of times and sort fo flirted with it but I'm going to commit now. At the moment I'm stuck after my last effort to get further, still at the same point too :/ At this point I'm really thinking of starting over as I'm not enjoying my choice of weapon. Perhaps it can be fixed? Most people seem to say go a pyromancer on first run through?

Location: Bonfire after titanite demon. I haven't killed the titanite demon, ran past him. I have a choice to kill Capra or Moonlight. Capra is just a no go for me, really frustrates me - also can you plunge attack with a spear? Doesn't seem to work. At all. I don't seem to able to kite or circle strafe as fast as other people and my gear seems really underpowered. My stamina also doesn't seem to last long and every attack with a little weight behind it seems to make me stagger. I can't find a better shield though. I'm trying to take the stone knights down at the moment, but I can't get the upper hand. I'll get past one then fight the other but because the fights always go to the wire, sometimes the AI just gets the last hit off before me. I'm quite a defensive player which is why I thought spear would suit me.......maybe DEX build completely wrong for me?

Character details:
Class: Wanderer
SL: 20
Playtime: 12 hours
VIT: 15
END: 15
STR: 14
DEX: 17
HP: 680
Equip: 20/55
MH: Winged Spear +4
OH: Knight shield +2
Black leather armour set with gargoyle helm

Edit: I haven't really used or found any sort of items like gold resin, dung, poison etc. I have a few things that seem to cure poison but that's about it. No idea how I would use the objects above either.

You can run past all the stone knights and tree monsters. I would take on the moonlight BF. Since you are relatively low level, you should be in human for to take advantage of the summon to help you fight the boss. I didn't use her, but I've heard the butterfly fight is a cakewalk with the summon.

TnK

Really late reply.
It's really not, especially once you get Havel's Ring and level up your Endurance. You won't be able to wear the best armor, but the mobility and extra i-frames from rolling are more than worth it.
Do I get that later on?
Ultra great swords are more varied in this game that in 2.

What's your equip load?

I think my equip load is about 50%. Also, there are about 4-5 ultra greatswords in this game, while DaS2 has like 10.

Mistel

Banned
I think my equip load is about 50%. Also, there are about 4-5 ultra greatswords in this game, while DaS2 has like 10.
The ultra greatsword are fewer but the movesets are more varied look here.

Havel's ring is able to be obtained by killing Havel. Once you go over 50% you start to fat roll so stay under it for the best results.

Ruuppa

Woohoo! Just beat the Iron Golem. He really goes down easy with a lightning spear +1.

Cool, will do. What should I do with my souls after co-op? I just bought 11 Large titanite with the 40k souls.

I don't want to level up too high (might try to get to 3 attunement slots though). Should I just be upgrading my weapons now? I'm at Claymore +8. Is the Lightning Spear worth upgrading a bunch?

Sorry for all the questions haha

Keep pumping +'s to that Claymore, or make it Fire/Lightning if you're not a Quality (Dex + Str) -build. The Lightning Spear isn't worth putting Chunks into, since just about any weapon outclasses it, and the Claymore is top tier.

As long as you are in SL 100 - 125 you should be good for co-op and invasions alike. You can also start boosting your Pyromancy Flame with any extra souls you might have, it will really eat a huge chunk of your souls to level it to the max.

Edit: SL 100 - 125 for end-game. After Iron Golem about SL 40 - 55 should be okay.

Um, getting a bit bored of this DEX build atm lol. I have a G. Scythe and Balder sword +15 now. But they get boring after a while.

I'm thinking of making it a DEX/INT hybrid right now. My current stats are these:

SL: 54
VIT: 14
ATN: 12
END: 25
STR: 16
DEX: 35
INT: 12
FAITH: 11

But I realized I've never made a INT char, so I'm lost in what to get and what should be my minimum ATN to make this work.

Booshka

Well, I level it up to 16 for a shield. I used the Claymore in two playthroughs straight with my STR/Faith character.

You should try the Halberd as well, it leans more toward Dex scaling, even though it is a Quality weapon, but it will a ton of damage on a buffed Dex/Int.

Mistel

Banned
Well, I level it up to 16 for a shield. I used the Claymore in two playthroughs straight with my STR/Faith character.
As Booshka suggests try the halberds I've always had a soft spot for lurcene and a bardiche myself. I assume the 16 strength is for a black knight or eagle shield?

Um, getting a bit bored of this DEX build atm lol. I have a G. Scythe and Balder sword +15 now. But they get boring after a while.

I'm thinking of making it a DEX/INT hybrid right now. My current stats are these:

But I realized I've never made a INT char, so I'm lost in what to get and what should be my minimum ATN to make this work.

ATN of 19 will get you five slots. Do not put any more points in ATN than that. As you level up you INT, you will be able to use crystal magic/great magic weapon to buff you balder sword, as long as you do not upgrade along the divine/fire/lightning/magic pathway. I hope you are using bows, as they are S scaling with DEX, and poison arrows work quite nicely in some situations. You may also want to try the Iaito. An INT of 40-45 should be the goal.

gogosox82

19 att is all you need as that will get you 5 slots. Of course this means you have to do Logan's quest chain which I just find to be a pain in the ass to do honestly. If your getting tired of those weapons maybe try a different one. Lucerne is really good especially against bosses with the leo ring. Its different enough from the great scythe and balder side sword that it won't feel the same. You also wouldn't have to change your build so much since using magic would mean you'd have to start pumping points into att and int.

Trying to get a black knight halberd with out continually restarting is a pain since I can only restore my save from OS+ once a day. Should I just skip it?

Ruuppa

Trying to get a black knight halberd with out continually restarting is a pain since I can only restore my save from OS+ once a day. Should I just skip it?

It's not game-ending to skip it. Try the normal Halberd or Gargoyle Halberd as an alternative, both are pretty boss.

EDIT: I also killed a knight who attacked me below the Firelink Shrine. Weird.
In New Londo Ruins? That would've been the Crestfallen Warrior, the sulky depressing dude sitting at the Firelink bonfire, he goes hollow. Doesn't drop anything unfortunately.

And whatever you do, DON'T use the Firekeeper's Soul. :)

Manu

In New Londo Ruins? That would've been the Crestfallen Warrior, the sulky depressing dude sitting at the Firelink bonfire, he goes hollow. Doesn't drop anything unfortunately.

And whatever you do, DON'T use the Firekeeper's Soul. :)

That would explain why he said he would take matters into his own hands once I awakened the snake guy. Is he gone for good?

Also, the snake guy sticks out like a sore thumb, I can't take him seriously.

My sl 1 darkwraith invaded a host that used wotg on me. Doesn't that require 28 faith to cast? I feel like that's impossible to use by level 11

Booshka

My sl 1 darkwraith invaded a host that used wotg on me. Doesn't that require 28 faith to cast? I feel like that's impossible to use by level 11

You invade up to max level in Souls Levels. There is only a restriction in how far down in Soul Levels you can invade, not up.

So you can invade a Level 6 guy, or a level 600 guy, all the same. Invade the Undead Burg where the high level PvP duels and ganking goes on, and you will invade a lot of higher level players.

You invade up to max level in Souls Levels. There is only a restriction in how far down in Soul Levels you can invade, not up.

So you can invade a Level 6 guy, or a level 600 guy, all the same. Invade the Undead Burg where the high level PvP duels and ganking goes on, and you will invade a lot of higher level players.
Oh alright idk why I thought it was 10+10% up. Man I won 95% of my fights in the burg with that sl1 today. Surprising considering GWG people aren't playing the same crowd as I understand it ( they have gotten an unmatched version)

I didn't talk to Solare before the gargoyles now he isn't at the altar or his initial spot. When the heck can I get the soapstone now? This sucks

Ruuppa

I don't get how kalameet is supposed to be a mighty enemy even gwyn didn't want to mess with yet gough downs him like nothing.

Gough is one bad-ass blind marksman, coolest of the four knights and he sells the funcarvings to boot.

I've only killed him once, and I felt horrible afterwards. Never again.

I didn't talk to Solare before the gargoyles now he isn't at the altar or his initial spot. When the heck can I get the soapstone now? This sucks

Anor Londo then. I never skip Taurus Demon since it would make it annoying to get the Soapstone afterwards.

Okay I finally finished this game yesterday, including all the DLC bosses (Kalameet, Artorias, Manus, dual Sanctuary bosses). I will not be moving on to NG+. There are too many mechanistic flaws for me to justify another playthrough. Specifically, subpar item/inventory management, infuriating camera, clunky combat (knockdowns, staggers, lag on running, hit box issues on smaller enemies, excessive startup on spells/item use, etc), grinding (particularly due to poor soul exchange on trading items/weapons).

I did get a great sense of accomplishment from taking down big and bad bosses, but I felt like my character wasn't growing despite 100+ levels gained. It felt like I was a regular NPC with better weapons and spells; and it never felt legendary, i.e chosen undead, successor to Gwyn. I remember seeing a blind and retired Gough down Kalameet with one shot, and saying to myself "What am I here for, again?" I'm supposed to outclass the knights of Gwyn, yet the relentless sword skills of artorias, and speed of Ornstein, I can never match. I think to myself "I wish my character could to that." I thought I'm supposed to be legendary?

People may hate to hear this comparison, but in Skyrim my leveled up character actually feels like a dragonslayer. In Dark Souls, my character looks like a dude who lost a bet or on a dare, taking on a dragon. And going through all that trouble to cut a tail off or getting boss souls only to craft a weapon (using an existing one which was difficult to level up) that I can't wield because the requirements are too high.

I wanted this to be the game of the generation, but it's just above average. It's hard, but it's not in the top 10 of hardest games I've player. Actual difficulty of the game is somewhat self imposed due to intrinsic mechanistic flaws, but the game is very beatable.

And on a side note, the framerate on the PC version is unwieldly. Just a poor all around conversion.

Ruuppa

Okay I finally finished this game yesterday, including all the DLC bosses (Kalameet, Artorias, Manus, dual Sanctuary bosses). I will not be moving on to NG+. There are too many mechanistic flaws for me to justify another playthrough. Specifically, subpar item/inventory management, infuriating camera, clunky combat (knockdowns, staggers, lag on running, hit box issues on smaller enemies, excessive startup on spells/item use, etc), grinding (particularly due to poor soul exchange on trading items/weapons).

I did get a great sense of accomplishment from taking down big and bad bosses, but I felt like my character wasn't growing despite 100+ levels gained. It felt like I was a regular NPC with better weapons and spells; and it never felt legendary, i.e chosen undead, successor to Gwyn. I remember seeing a blind and retired Gough down Kalameet with one shot, and saying to myself "What am I here for, again?" I'm supposed to outclass the knights of Gwyn, yet the relentless sword skills of artorias, and speed of Ornstein, I can never match. I think to myself "I wish my character could to that." I thought I'm supposed to be legendary?

People may hate to hear this comparison, but in Skyrim my leveled up character actually feels like a dragonslayer. In Dark Souls, my character looks like a dude who lost a bet or on a dare, taking on a dragon. And going through all that trouble to cut a tail off or getting boss souls only to craft a weapon (using an existing one which was difficult to level up) that I can't wield because the requirements are too high.

I wanted this to be the game of the generation, but it's just above average. It's hard, but it's not in the top 10 of hardest games I've player. Actual difficulty of the game is somewhat self imposed due to intrinsic mechanistic flaws, but the game is very beatable.

And on a side note, the framerate on the PC version is unwieldly. Just a poor all around conversion.

You're legendary because you beat all of those super legendary guys, even though you were just a normal Joe with better equipment. If you were flipping around like Artorias or grabbing bosses and making them explode like Gwyn, you'd just be overpowered and killing the other guys would simply be par the course and not an achievement.

Also, the snake guy sticks out like a sore thumb, I can't take him seriously.

You sorry fool. You could not be the chosen one.

Hm, I disagree with the conclusion that your character is supposed to be legendary. I think a big thematic element of the game is that you're just some random undead. There's a reason that even the weakest grunts in the game can kill you if you let your guard down. Dark Souls is about patience and persistence, and the way you finally take down all of these amazingly powerful beings in Dark Souls is not because you are some amazing being, but because you can never be permanently killed and you never give up. That's what sets the chosen undead apart. The likes of Gwyn feared the undead because of that, not because of some potential to become an immensely powerful being.

(Also, the whole "chosen undead" thing is likely
just a trick used by Frampt, Kaathe, and Gwyndolin to manipulate the undead.
)

Anyway, to each his own!

jerry1594

Gough is one bad-ass blind marksman, coolest of the four knights and he sells the funcarvings to boot.

Yeah but, he could've shot him out of the sky like 20 years earlier when he wasn't old and retired or something... why until then when the
war has been over for like 1000 years and the dragon's been terrorizing stuff since.

Also, I like how gough and smough are pronounced differently.

VERY GOOD

Gough is one of the best NPCs. Also,
it's possible that he isn't actually blind

You aren't anybody. You're just another chump made of beef-jerky who happens to be more scrappy and persistent than anybody. There's nothing legendary about the Chosen Undead, and it's not that type of game. You CAN wear plenty of fancy armor and use majestic swords if you're going for the look, but it really isn't necessary to do anything other than wear light armor and fast roll.

The camera is only a problem with Capra Demon, and the combat is definitely not clunky. Stagger is because your poise is too low. The "difficulty" has nothing to do with flaws, it's because you generally don't know what you're doing. The first playthrough is always rough and for some people, doesn't even seem that good. You can't really see how how certain criticisms fall apart until you've played a couple characters. The reason the game is "hard" isn't because of flaws, but because you have no idea what you're doing the first time through. Which is a different, somewhat more valid criticism.

You sorry fool. You could not be the chosen one.

Hm, I disagree with the conclusion that your character is supposed to be legendary. I think a big thematic element of the game is that you're just some random undead. There's a reason that even the weakest grunts in the game can kill you if you let your guard down. Dark Souls is about patience and persistence, and the way you finally take down all of these amazingly powerful beings in Dark Souls is not because you are some amazing being, but because you can never be permanently killed and you never give up. That's what sets the chosen undead apart. The likes of Gwyn feared the undead because of that, not because of some potential to become an immensely powerful being.

(Also, the whole "chosen undead" thing is likely
just a trick used by Frampt, Kaathe, and Gwyndolin to manipulate the undead.
)

Anyway, to each his own!

Well, many hollows and enemies are able to respawn just like you. Even Sanctuary Guardians. That does not make your character unique. By nature your characters accomplishments, you must be inherently powerful; but the game does a poor job of conveying that sense of empowerment. You win in spite of a fairly underwhelming character. You could also win with any other similarly underwhelming character. In fact Solitare is stronger than my character and can take more damage and has unlimited lightning spears. I'd rather be that character. I'd rather be several other characters other than my character. Besides that, the game has other significant flaws.

I feel comfortable making this assessment because I have beaten the game and given it significant time investments. May critics of the game cannot withstand the challenge, so there is an ulterior motive.

ENB talks about it in one of his videos. Gough's Helm description:

A helm crafted especially for the honorable Hawkeye Gough,
only the eye holes were packed with tree resin
by those who dismissed Gough as a brutish giant.

So it's possible that the eye holes were packed with tree resin, and he just assumed he was blind. Sounds pretty dumb of him, but ENB talked about how From likes to give characters weaknesses like that. So you have this amazingly awesome giant knight, but he never thought to take off his helm to see if he had actually been blinded or not.

Anyway, it's just a possibility and not something for sure. Interesting to think about, nonetheless.

Well, many hollows and enemies are able to respawn just like you. Even Sanctuary Guardians. That does not make your character unique. By nature your characters accomplishments, you must be inherently powerful; but the game does a poor job of conveying that sense of empowerment. You win in spite of a fairly underwhelming character. You could also win with any other similarly underwhelming character. In fact Solitare is stronger than my character and can take more damage and has unlimited lightning spears. I'd rather be that character. I'd rather be several other characters other than my character. Besides that, the game has other significant flaws.

I feel comfortable making this assessment because I have beaten the game and given it significant time investments. May critics of the game cannot withstand the challenge, so there is an ulterior motive.

What sets you apart from them is the fact that you resist hollowing. That's what every undead fears, and most succumb to. If an undead reaches an obstacle and gives up, he will go hollow and just sit around for eternity doing nothing but attack anything that walks by. Resisting that, and seeing your goal to the end, and NOT giving up as a result of seemingly insurmountable obstacles, is what makes your character special. Even most of the NPCs (Solaire included) have the possibility of going hollow, depending on how you progress their questline. It's a theme that DS2 explores as well.

Top Bottom