• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Well, Gwyndolin's using you to keep the gods in power... But the age of dark means the end of the old order and potentially a darwinian survival-of-the-fittest world. Darkstalker Kaathe wanted the age of dark to come, and so he gave the undead of New Londo the power of lifedrain and they became monsters in their hunger for power. There is also the DLC, which implies the dark "age of man" could end up having humans lose their minds as the power of the dark soul goes out of control.

So there are two options: Try to extend the comfort of the present, or step into an uncertain but true future with the age of dark.

Attacking Gwynevere makes Anor Londo go dark because striking her means you saw through the illusion and Gwyndolin has no reason to uphold it. The light in Anor Londo is just another illusion, made to make you think the gods haven't abandoned it. Same with all the enemies.

So the monsters attacking me in Anor Londo are illusions created by Gwyndolin? Sounds like I need to kill the guy even more. I take it O&S are under his bidding as well?

Toxi

Banned
So the monsters attacking me in Anor Londo are illusions created by Gwyndolin? Sounds like I need to kill the guy even more. I take it O&S are under his bidding as well?
Yep.
They were basically the final test before Gwyndolin gives you the lordvessel.

We actually have no clue if they were the real Ornstein and Smough. I think they were because they drop their unique souls, though
Dark Souls 2 implies Ornstein somehow survived.

Booshka

I keep going there in an attempt to get the hang of the combat. And yeah, found the weapons. Currently two-handing the Winged Spear cuz I'm awesome like that.

Edit: Nearly died because it does, like, 1 damage lol Back to the axe.

Stat requirements to wield weapons, pay attention to them when you check out a new weapon.

Yep.
They were basically the final test before Gwyndolin gives you the lordvessel.

We actually have no clue if they were the real Ornstein and Smough. I think they were because they drop their unique souls, though
Dark Souls 2 implies Ornstein somehow survived.

Okay, he's dead. I need a new bow anyway.

They are the real ones, the final test for the chosen undead to be worthy user of the lordvessel it also proved when you get a soul for each one them and the different outcomes when you defeat one of them
(Smoug killing onsteirn and absorbing his soul or Onsteirn absorbing smoug soul)

jerry1594

I haven't really been paying attention to stats, but as far as str goes, the more you exceed a weapon's requirement, the faster/easier you can wield the weapon?

Okay, he's dead. I need a new bow anyway.

Darkmoon bow is awesome with moonlight arrows and the hawk ring. Glad I killed that manipulating scum. But I still don't understand, if Gwynevere is an illusion created by Gwyndolin, why didn't the illusion disappear when he died. So he vanquishes the illusion when you attack Gwynevere, thinking the fraud was exposed, but when he dies, why does the illusion persist? Me thinks that is the real Gwynevere.

jerry1594

Darkmoon bow is awesome with moonlight arrows and the hawk ring. Glad I killed that manipulating scum. But I still don't understand, if Gwynevere is an illusion created by Gwyndolin, why didn't the illusion disappear when he died. So he vanquishes the illusion when you attack Gwynevere, thinking the fraud was exposed, but when he dies, why does the illusion persist? Me thinks that is the real Gwynevere.
If you kill her from outside he doesn't notice and anor londo doesn't change, it's probably a programming thing.
Go hit the "real" Gwynevere then.

There's a halberd wielding black knight in the tomb of the giants if you feel like retrieving it. Or the greataxe from the one in the catacombs.
I'm going to give it a shot after I get the serpent ring, don't want to risk it.

Mistel

Banned
I'm going to give it a shot after I get the serpent ring, don't want to risk it.
And ten soft humanity so you get maximum item discovery. If you've got a symbol of avarice you could use that instead of the covetous ring to still get the max.

Manu

So... Ornstein and Smough down.

After three failed tries by myself, I was lucky and was able to summon two phantoms, one of which used magic and was ridiculously overpowered. We still didn't make it on our first try though, on our first one we killed Ornstein first and Smough killed all three of us when he was maybe at his last 5%.

I said "fuck it" and used another humanity, revived again and summoned the same two guys, and this time we killed Smough first. Ornstein with Smough's powers is easier than the other way around. Still, I have no idea how it's even possible to win that fight alone.

Mistel

Banned
Use Ornstein's speed against him and separate the pair. Leaving Smough for the easy second half of the right whos attacks are easy to avoid.

AlexBasch

Haha, I decided to just hate myself and beat Ornstein as the second kill. Fuck, it was so bad.

Using the pillars, but not relying completely on them is key in the first half of the battle.

gogosox82

So... Ornstein and Smough down.

After three failed tries by myself, I was lucky and was able to summon two phantoms, one of which used magic and was ridiculously overpowered. We still didn't make it on our first try though, on our first one we killed Ornstein first and Smough killed all three of us when he was maybe at his last 5%.

I said "fuck it" and used another humanity, revived again and summoned the same two guys, and this time we killed Smough first. Ornstein with Smough's powers is easier than the other way around. Still, I have no idea how it's even possible to win that fight alone.

Its possible since I don't think I've summoned for that fight (or any fights) in quite a while. It just takes practice honestly. Once you know their movesets by heart, its not too hard to take them down.

Turned around and dipped into Undead Burg

Edit: I do :)

Undead Burg is where you want to be now, if you haven't finished that area. Also, the Master Key is what you used to go into Blighttown if you haven't gone through the Depths yet. That IS the shortcut that skips the upper part of blighttown, so unfortunately you will have to deal with the framerate issues there eventually.

Ah, so the shortcut was through the Valley of Drakes? Is there a recommended order to complete these levels? Burg, Depths, Blight Town, etc..

Currently lvl19 Pyro with Hollow Soldier Shield and Winged Spear.

Ah, so the shortcut was through the Valley of Drakes? Is there a recommended order to complete these levels? Burg, Depths, Blight Town, etc..

Currently lvl19 Pyro with Hollow Soldier Shield and Winged Spear.

There's quite a few ways you can go, which is part of what makes future playthroughs fun. But the best route for a first time player for the early game is Burg -> Parish -> Lower Undead Burg -> Depths -> Blighttown.

And yeah, the shortcut is the door you opened that led into the Valley of the Drakes.

Nordicus

Holy shit. That's impressive.

Now I feel kinda bad for having used summons.

Well, not really.
Yeah, you shouldn't. O&S fight is one of the most common ones where people summon others for help. With just a single extra person the division of aggro makes things a lot easier.

Buuut, if you found yourself not finding anyone to summon then I would have just "#dealwithit #l2spatialawareness" because the fight is all about camera control, positioning, baiting attacks and listening where the occasional off-screen enemy is and what they're doing

Thrak360

Neo Member
Well, made it to the depths and found the Gaping Dragon. It's not very hard but unfortunately I only had 2 Estus Flasks and couldn't heal anymore, but I got him to 50% with those two. Is there a bonfire in the Depths? Because I couldn't find one and it's a really large level :/
I just started exploring the Depths this weekend. Easily the hardest area of the game to get a grasp of so far. In part because I fell in some holes a couple of times, lol. So I don't have a very good sense of where I am and where I've been. But I've killed a couple butchers, huge rat, and channeler. Left off at a fog door that will be for my next play session. And also found a narrow sloped path that may lead to a new area. Like I said, at this point, no idea, could lead to an area I already explored. But can't hurt to try and make a complete run through the level, to see if I missed any worthwhile pick-ups.

Jamesways

So, rumor is the GWG version is different. Does anyone know if this means the online portion is a different community then?

Ruuppa

How do you even do that? Wow.

Hypermode (Red Tearstone Ring + Power Within) and the Dragon Torso buff, with the special attack from Dragon King Greataxe and Darkmoon Blade used at Covenant level 3.

So, rumor is the GWG version is different. Does anyone know if this means the online portion is a different community then?

It's the unpatched version, so GWG players can only connect to other players using the unpatched version.

Manu

Hypermode (Red Tearstone Ring + Power Within) and the Dragon Torso buff, with the special attack from Dragon King Greataxe and Darkmoon Blade used at Covenant level 3.

See? I'm 23 hours into the game and I don't know what half of that stuff means lol

Jamesways

It's the unpatched version, so GWG players can only connect to other players using the unpatched version.

That sucks. I've been prepping a character for a week to help the new players. Bummer. Probably won't do it again since I'm having fun with this one. Weapons and armor already near maxed and sitting on 400k souls to not level up.

See? I'm 23 hours into the game and I don't know what half of that stuff means lol

Red tearstone buffs your damage (20-30%) I believe if you life is <20% health. Darkmoon buff is like sunlight blade or crystal magic weapon only more powerful since you level it up as part of the darkmoon covenant. TPW is a pyromancy spell which buffs your attack power, but also drains your HP. Dragon torso roar gives you a 30% damage buff for 6-7 seconds. The dragonking greataxe is the weapon you obtain by cutting the tail of gaping dragon. Obviously you need to be a strength build to make this work, as along with some faith for the darkmoon buff.

Manu

I assume you've missed two covenants possibly three if you've not had a bit of an explore yet.

Probably, but I've did some exploring too, I'm not trying to rush through the game.

I'm trying to go into the game blind, so I don't know when I missed something.

Top Bottom