• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Donos

Ok, so they didn't change the class "system" from Demon's Souls. Just pick one and level up the stats which fit the the weapons i use.

I don't want any coop but is there any other point for being online besides the coop/invading? World Tendency and stuff?
I could read that up on the wiki but i don't want to get tempted to read up more.

Gattsu25

Banned
Ok, so they didn't change the class "system" from Demon's Souls. Just pick one and level up the stats which fit the the weapons i use.

I don't want any coop but is there any other point for being online besides the coop/invading? World Tendency and stuff?
I could read that up on the wiki but i don't want to get tempted to read up more.
Being in human form allows you to summon, get invaded, and kindle bonfires (increases the number of estus charges for that bonfire).

That's it.

You can see white phantoms (other players), bloodstains and messages.

Donos

You can see white phantoms (other players), bloodstains and messages.

Being in human form allows you to summon, get invaded.

That's it.

Ok, that's the same as in Demon's Souls. Didn't find the messages very usefull and i already treated every corner as potential death in DeS. Going to be the same in Dark Souls.

Last question: Armor - not really usefull in DeS besides maybe a little resistance to fire,poison, magic whatever. Is it the same in Dark Souls?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Been on a short week's break after playing rather intensively for about 70-80 hours the last couple of weeks :p (dat mario kart 8)

Started the Catacombs, which is atmospherically really creepy, but I guess I'm way over leveled at around 73 since everything just melts away. Encountered a Boss that just died after a couple of hits and never really did any damage to me at all. (Pinwheel). The rolling skeletons outside was kinda fun though.

Got to the Tomb of the Giants and fell in a hole and died, so I'll start from there next session. :)

Overdoziz

Banned
Been on a short week's break after playing rather intensively for about 70-80 hours the last couple of weeks :p (dat mario kart 8)

Started the Catacombs, which is atmospherically really creepy, but I guess I'm way over leveled at around 73 since everything just melts away. Encountered a Boss that just died after a couple of hits and never really did any damage to me at all. (Pinwheel). The rolling skeletons outside was kinda fun though.

Got to the Tomb of the Giants and fell in a hole and died, so I'll start from there next session. :)
73 isn't really overleveled. Also, Pinwheel is the weakest boss in the game.

daninthemix

Last question: Armor - not really usefull in DeS besides maybe a little resistance to fire,poison, magic whatever. Is it the same in Dark Souls?

Well, no. Good armor provides both poise and actual resistance to physical, magical and elemental damage.

Poise stops you getting stunlocked, which imo is essential. Though some happily rock light armor with no poise and just dodge everything.

A nice early armor is the Elite Knight Set, then in Anor Londo you can get both the Black Iron Set and Havel's Set, which will see you through the game.

gogosox82

Wassup guys. Close to the platinum in Demon's Souls but this damn Pure Bladestone doesn't want to drop. So i bought Dark Souls (used, 18€ ebay) for PS3 and i'm ready to roll when it comes this week. At least i know what to expect.
What i want to ask is which class i should take when i want to go melee and not cheese half of the bosses with magic.

Took the Royal class with Soul Arrow in DeS but in the end, Harry Pottering the first quarter of the game was lame and to "easy".

I just want a melee class (STR, or STR/DEX) and use swords and shield. I also want to try to not use any guides/wikis till i'm totally stuck.

Is it ok to play online or should i stick to offline? Played DeS only offline (because WT) or online in souls form to not get invaded by hardcore trolls.

I gathered from different threads that i should not use the Drake Sword because it's op?

Playing online is fine. Dark Souls is different from Demons Souls in the online play. There's no tendency system in Dark Souls so the only reason why you would play offline is b/c you don't want to get invaded while in human form which honestly won't happen much such a lot of the player base has moved onto Dark Souls 2.

The drake sword not op at all. New players probably shouldn't use it simply b/c newer players don't realize the limitations of the weapon and they end of using it far longer than they should and it ends up hurting them in the end. They would be better off just buy a bunch of weapons from the merchant or blacksmith, trying them out and then upgrading the one they like most instead of sticking with the drake sword.

Mistel

Banned
Another thing with the drake sword it that it uses dragon scales to upgrade which could be better spent on weapons obtained later on such as Priscilla's dagger.

Manu

Went to fight Lautrec with the Dragonslayer bow and the Dragonslayer arrows equipped. I died. Check my inventory: the arrows are gone. What?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Another thing with the drake sword it that it uses dragon scales to upgrade which could be better spent on weapons obtained later on such as Priscilla's dagger.

Is the dagger actually good? I let her live, because I didn't really see the need to kill her right away.

Tarkus

Whoops, I meant running two handed R1 in regards to the Pike. Probably my favorite, but most useless, attack in the game.
I'm currently using a pike +9 as my main exploring weapon. It's certainly not great, but it's fun to use and looks cool. The running attack works well in situations where a group of enemies are lined up or in a narrow corridor. Against bosses or when I'm in over my head, I use a +3 black knight sword to save my ass. That thing is brutal but a little slow. I'll probably finish the game with this setup and some other modified pikes. I can't wait for the Leo ring!

So is there a real reason I can't co-op this game with my friend? I know there is a mod to help facilitate it, but why wouldn't FromSoft allow you to just connect to people on your friends list?

So is there a real reason I can't co-op this game with my friend? I know there is a mod to help facilitate it, but why wouldn't FromSoft allow you to just connect to people on your friends list?

Cuz you can break coop by trading advance fully upgraded weapon to a toon character or being carried by your overpowered friend making the game a joke

Mistel

Banned
There's nothing stopping you from summoning them if you are in their range.

I think it's more to do with the way online play works - you get invaded by randoms, so you summon randoms to help too. It fosters a wider community - evident here and everywhere else that chats and interacts about the series.

The same reason why ingame chat wasn't a part of the series originally, just using simple gestures to communicate everyone is on an equal footing and keeps that sense of mystery about the game world itself. As someone who rarely plays pvp/co-op games it was one of the things that drew me in.

Aurarian

Hey guys, just recently started this up again. I originally played this back in release, but was really frustrated with it back then for some reason. Anyways, I jumped back in due to watching Jeff Green's run of DSII. I figured that I would start it up again and I'm enjoying it so far. However, I feel really weak in terms of dispatching enemies. I just beat the two gargoyles by the Parish accidentally stepping into the light thinking it was something else with the help of Solaire. I'm at SL 28, started off as a knight, and have been mostly leveling my VIT and END. My STR is only at 14 though. I got a battle axe that I've upgraded to +1 and mix of knight, balder, hollow armor to keep my load below 50% for the fast roll. Any suggestions? Haven't had much luck with weapons or armor which I think is par for the course though I may be wrong.

Hey guys, just recently started this up again. I originally played this back in release, but was really frustrated with it back then for some reason. Anyways, I jumped back in due to watching Jeff Green's run of DSII. I figured that I would start it up again and I'm enjoying it so far. However, I feel really weak in terms of dispatching enemies. I just beat the two gargoyles by the Parish accidentally stepping into the light thinking it was something else with the help of Solaire. I'm at SL 28, started off as a knight, and have been mostly leveling my VIT and END. My STR is only at 14 though. I got a battle axe that I've upgraded to +1 and mix of knight, balder, hollow armor to keep my load below 50% for the fast roll. Any suggestions? Haven't had much luck with weapons or armor which I think is par for the course though I may be wrong.

Battle axe is fine, as long as you like its moveset. Make sure to level it up to at least +5, and get to the Depths as soon as possible so you can upgrade it more. Make sure to level up whatever stats your chosen weapon scales with. So you will want to start leveling your STR as well, if you stick with the battle axe.

You'll start doing a lot more damage once you level up your weapon and the stat the weapon scales with.

Mistel

Banned
Any suggestions? Haven't had much luck with weapons or armor which I think is par for the course though I may be wrong.
Claymore or a balder side sword might be of interest to you. If you like the axes then keep upgrading your battle axe. I don't think that it par of the course by that stage really but oh well.

gogosox82

Sounds like your doing ok to me. Battle axe is a good weapon so if you like it, keep using it.

Also, under 50% equip load is not fast roll, but mid roll. Under 25% is fast roll. I recommend practicing your rolling and dodging, as that's generally much more useful than good armor (I never actually upgrade any armor, personally). Using the rolling invincibility frames is really important, and will mean you can effectively avoid most damage while using armor that keeps you below 25% equip load. Pick up Havel's Ring as well, if you haven't already, so you can wear more armor and still keep your equip load low.

I'm at SL 28, started off as a knight, and have been mostly leveling my VIT and END. My STR is only at 14 though. I got a battle axe that I've upgraded to +1 and mix of knight, balder, hollow armor to keep my load below 50% for the fast roll. Any suggestions?

The Battle Axe is fine but you should try the Claymore. The weapon is on the bridge where the Hellkite Dragon is. Upgrade to 5+ and you're good to go.

Mistel

Banned
The Battle Axe is fine but you should try the Claymore. The weapon is on the bridge where the Hellkite Dragon is. Upgrade to 5+ and you're good to go.
Depending on their playstlye the battle axe maybe more rewarding in the long run especially if they upgrade it to a golem axe.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Man...examining shit in this game gets you in trouble. Evil Master Hand snatched me into a wild ass vortex.

Walked into a boss. Didn't have the ring on... died horribly. Lol. This boss is fun, but getting the tail is a pain in the ass.

Enchanted katana +1
Divine Uchi +5
Longsword +10

I think I want a firesword too.

Aurarian

Also, under 50% equip load is not fast roll, but mid roll. Under 25% is fast roll. I recommend practicing your rolling and dodging, as that's generally much more useful than good armor (I never actually upgrade any armor, personally). Using the rolling invincibility frames is really important, and will mean you can effectively avoid most damage while using armor that keeps you below 25% equip load. Pick up Havel's Ring as well, if you haven't already, so you can wear more armor and still keep your equip load low.

Where do I find this?

On one of the corpses I guess? I also got the Gargoyle Tail axe as well from the fight. My playstyle so far has been strafing and blocking attacks with the shield and letting it go to regain stam quickly(I read this is better than holding it up 100% of the time). I haven't rolled much except when I fought the Knight near the Taurus Demon for the first time. Will start trying to incorporate that more often. I've always played a "tank" character in games like these since I prefer being in their face and being able to withstand the damage.

Where do I find this?

Explore Darkroot Garden and Darkroot Basin a bit, if you haven't already. (If you haven't been there, it's just past the giant Titanite Demon that sits in the room across from the Blacksmith.) You should encounter a little surprise.

If you want specific directions:
Go into Darkroot Garden. Past the first killer tree or two, take a right and make your way down to Darkroot Basin. You'll see a hydra and some golems. Run past them into the tower. You'll have to fight Havel there, who will drop his ring when you kill him.

Mistel

Banned
There's a far faster way to get to Havel with the master key from undead burg. In the same tower you climbed for the taurus demon there's a door it unlocks to access Havel.

Dont attack him front side, always try to backstabbing him in early levels it instant kills you so beware of Havel and if you can try summon someone to tank it for you.

Well, I try not to tell people who are new to the game how to do everything, in case they want to discover some of it on their own. =\

Also, he may not have the Master Key.

jerry1594

Fuuuuuuck quelaag. As soon as I come in she leaps at me and spews fire. That's it. I'd been making through those annoying ogres to find out it's just a shortcut to the valley, too.
Should I unequip my armor?
I'm sl42, 16vit, 17end, 22str, 22dex

Aurarian

Well, I try not to tell people who are new to the game how to do everything, in case they want to discover some of it on their own. =\

It's quite alright. I do have the key. I remember when you get to that point, you can go up for the boss and then down for some dude with a really large sword I think. I remember he one shotted me, but I'm not sure if that was him. I was thinking of going to him now since I was a little better off.

It's quite alright. I do have the key. I remember when you get to that point, you can go up for the boss and then down for some dude with a really large sword I think. I remember he one shotted me, but I'm not sure if that was him. I was thinking of going to him now since I was a little better off.

Yep, that's our pal Havel.

Mistel

Banned

Isn't that the pot said to the kettle? I mean you mentioned Havel's ring...
Fuuuuuuck quelaag. As soon as I come in she leaps at me and spews fire. That's it. I'd been making through those annoying ogres to find out it's just a shortcut to the valley, too.
Should I unequip my armor?
I'm sl42, 16vit, 17end, 22str, 22dex
No your armor can stay on just get up to her and hug the her other spidery head on the left side.

I mentioned that it would be helpful, and pointed him in a general direction, and then spoilered specifics in case he wanted to explore and find it on his own. That's just how I prefer to play (receiving hints if I really need them, otherwise exploring and discovering things on my own).

But he had already found him anyway, so it's fine either way I suppose.

jerry1594

No your armor can stay on just get up to her and hug the her other spidery head on the left side.
I'll give it a few more shots then. If I keep fucking up I'll have to summon Mildred to tank for me.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The Great Scythe makes Quelaag a hilariously stupid fight. R1 stun locks her indefinitely when right in front of her.

jerry1594

I got impatient and went ahead and summoned Mildred. The fight was very easy, and I don't think I'll summon anyone again if I can help it, except maybe solaire once. I'm just really glad to be out of that dump.
On to Sen's fortress. This is about the point I haven't spoiled the experience for myself save for al, so it should be interesting.

Top Bottom