• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Overdoziz

Banned
Yeah, it runs at a smooth 60 in Blighttown for me. There's only a couple of spots where it dips a bit including strangely enough the Kiln of the First Flame.

Yeah, it runs at a smooth 60 in Blighttown for me. There's only a couple of spots where it dips a bit including strangely enough the Kiln of the First Flame.

I have this problem when I look in the direction of some of the fog walls. It's kind of weird. They don't even have to be visible as long as I'm looking in their direction. The one leading to Ceaseless Discharge is an example that drops it down a lot. When the fog wall is gone, everything is fine.

its your catalyst, you wont see any other good catalyst until the other falt of the game unless you rescue dusk and buy her catalyst, dayumm!

I'm pretty late game, just need to do Nito and Gwyn to finish. But I'm doing the DLC first.

What catalyst should I aim for? I'm just turning this dex/int build. My dex is already 40 so I'm just pumping INT.

I'm pretty late game, just need to do Nito and Gwyn to finish. But I'm doing the DLC first.

What catalyst should I aim for? I'm just turning this dex/int build. My dex is already 40 so I'm just pumping INT.

Mmm

Logan catalyst for normal pve in Duke archives (by rescue logan, buying all the spells with logan, rescue logan again, talk to logan and fight logan) and the crystal catalyst for bosses only because is reduces all your spells to a half but greatly increase their damage.

jerry1594

Slowly making my way through blighttown. Not very far in but not to bad so far save for those blowdart pricks. And I got a murakumo drop earlier

Dark Souls is currently free on Xbox Live for Gold and Silver members.

aMTFnOj.jpg

jerry1594

Artorias of the Abyss is an amazing piece of DLC, though.

Also, that's really weird that they put up the unpatched version of the game on XBox Live Gold...like, really? They didn't even test what version of the game they were uploading?
I think it's patched in Europe

Overdoziz

Banned
Artorias of the Abyss is an amazing piece of DLC, though.
Yeah, but it shouldn't be €15 considering how long it's been out for. You've been able to buy the Prepare to Die edition on Steam for much less a ton of times already. I never really understood why DLC doesn't lower in price eventually just like the games themselves.

Any one particular you'd recommend? I have a Claymore equipped currently, but would love to go back to a spear.

I don't use spears very often, but I recommend buying a Pike from Andre. And then trying the running two handed R2, and laughing maniacally. (And then likely never using the weapon again, because it's not that great.)

Mistel

Banned
Any one particular you'd recommend? I have a Claymore equipped currently, but would love to go back to a spear.
I'd recommend the partizan then with a bit of a foray you can access a merchant who will sell you a chaos demon spear which is the longest reaching weapon in game. Those should suffice till you get further in. Then you can after killing Ornstein, get his spear with minimum investment thanks to a mimic.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I still have the four souls to get for the Lordvessel. Spent most of my time exploring today.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't put the beats on Patches, for kicking me off of that cliff?

Saved Rhea (i think that's her name) and bought all of her miracles.

Found a shortcut before the Firesage Demon boss and got an ugly ass glow hat from a bug. Lol. Works great in the tombs.

Lost Izalith...yeesh. This area could have been amazing.

Not a fan of the tombs, but the hat makes it better. Found the serpent ring, so it's soul grinding time.

I missed some treasure, but I found another covenant in ash lake.

Damn...I think I killed pyromancer guy in Blighttown. :( I need more fire upgrades. :(

Gonna check Anor Londo, since that place opened up, next.

I still have the four souls to get for the Lordvessel. Spent most of my time exploring today.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't put the beats on Patches, for kicking me off of that cliff?

Saved Rhea (i think that's her name) and bought all of her miracles.

Found a shortcut before the Firesage Demon boss and got an ugly ass glow hat from a bug. Lol. Works great in the tombs.

Lost Izalith...yeesh. This area could have been amazing.

Not a fan of the tombs, but the hat makes it better. Found the serpent ring, so it's soul grinding time.

I missed some treasure, but I found another covenant in ash lake.

Damn...I think I killed pyromancer guy in Blighttown. :( I need more fire upgrades. :(

Gonna check Anor Londo, since that place opened up, next.

Well patches sells humanity and gears if you let him live, he will move to the firelink shrine as a merchant

Buy all her miracles to continue her sidequest

Did you saved the guy in the kitchen area near of the depth he is a pyromancer too, and there is another one near of the entrace of the spider lady on the poison water island.

Mistel

Banned
Old school just out of intrest did you pay Lautrec for information? Also don't forget to suck the humanity right out of Reah with a dark hand.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Well patches sells humanity and gears if you let him live, he will move to the firelink shrine as a merchant

Buy all her miracles to continue her sidequest

Did you saved the guy in the kitchen area near of the depth he is a pyromancer too, and there is another one near of the entrace of the spider lady on the poison water island.

I think he's the one I saved. Haven't seen the second one yet.

Old school just out of intrest did you pay Lautrec for information? Also don't forget to suck the humanity right out of Reah with a dark hand.

Nope. Did I need to?

Takashi

My internet is so slow, took like 12 hrs to download this

First death was to Asylum Demon. I had actually figured out that I should probably run away but ended up dying cause I really wanted to read the message he was walking on lol.

Arrived at Lordran and got chased in the cemetery trying to find where to go, so I took a break. I'm sure I'll figure out what to do when I come back to it.

I have a question though- I'm assuming I should be saving the humanity items right? I wasn't sure if I should use it so I can kindle that first bonfire, but I decided to save it just in case.

Booshka

My internet is so slow, took like 12 hrs to download this

First death was to Asylum Demon. I had actually figured out that I should probably run away but ended up dying cause I really wanted to read the message he was walking on lol.

Arrived at Lordran and got chased in the cemetery trying to find where to go, so I took a break. I'm sure I'll figure out what to do when I come back to it.

I have a question though- I'm assuming I should be saving the humanity items right? I wasn't sure if I should use it so I can kindle that first bonfire, but I decided to save it just in case.

Use your humanity to regain human form, and then you can kindle a bonfire and strengthen so you permanently get more Estus flask uses at that bonfire.

Human form allows you to summon other players and also be invaded by other players.

Takashi

Use your humanity to regain human form, and then you can kindle a bonfire and strengthen so you permanently get more Estus flask uses at that bonfire.

Human form allows you to summon other players and also be invaded by other players.

Oh I knew that, I meant is it worth kindling that particular bonfire? I was thinking what if there are some better positioned bonfires later on. I doubt there's a fast travel so I didn't want to be going all the way back just for a few more flask uses if that makes sense.

Like I know this first one is between the church and blighttown so perhaps it's a good idea to kindle it. It mainly all boils down to not knowing if the humanity consumables are rare or not.

Booshka

Oh I knew that, I meant is it worth kindling that particular bonfire? I was thinking what if there are some better positioned bonfires later on. I doubt there's a fast travel so I didn't want to be going all the way back just for a few more flask uses if that makes sense.

Like I know this first one is between the church and blighttown so perhaps it's a good idea to kindle it. It mainly all boils down to not knowing if the humanity consumables are rare or not.
In general try to kindle the bonfires that connect to multiple areas, and those that you assume will be warp points, they usually coincide.

Or, if there is a boss that is kicking your ass and you want more flasks, kindle the closest fire to that boss.

Humanity is rare on Vanilla Dark Souls Ver 1.0, but it is farmable and you usually have enough to get the best bonfires at stronger intensities.

gogosox82

There are areas later in the game where you can farm it so its really a non issue so if you want to use it, go ahead and use it.

Takashi

In general try to kindle the bonfires that connect to multiple areas, and those that you assume will be warp points, they usually coincide.

Or, if there is a boss that is kicking your ass and you want more flasks, kindle the closest fire to that boss.

Humanity is rare on Vanilla Dark Souls Ver 1.0, but it is farmable and you usually have enough to get the best bonfires at stronger intensities.

Awesome that really helps. And I like the sound of warp points. I'm not far enough in so those haven't been explained yet, but I was expecting for the whole game to be linear/no fast travel so some degree of warping seems good.

There are areas later in the game where you can farm it so its really a non issue so if you want to use it, go ahead and use it.

That's good, I'm the kind of person with the tendency to hoard the shit out of items in games thinking there will be a better use if I save them.

Awesome that really helps. And I like the sound of warp points. I'm not far enough in so those haven't been explained yet, but I was expecting for the whole game to be linear/no fast travel so some degree of warping seems good.

You won't be able to warp for quite awhile. The game is really interconnected with lots of shortcuts, though, so going between areas doesn't take too long.

I honestly think the game is better, from a design standpoint, by not letting you warp for a large portion of the game.

Hayabusi

Can't decide on a new weapon.

Have the dragon sword (the one with 200 dmg and no scaling), but I will soon arrive at a SL where it is just not the "best" weapon anymore.

Heard the Claymore should be good?

I am new to DS, but is the upgrading comparable to DS2 or are the materials more rare and I should choose wisely?

jerry1594

Damn you got lucky. That's a really rare drop. It scales off dex but you can two hand it with 19 str. It does a ton of damage at 40 dex though.
Lucky for me I'm doing a quality build. Right now I'm in a bit of a dilemma though since my str and dex are the same, I think, at level 22 and I'm unsure whether to choose one over the other, str to 28 to one hand it, or dex further beyond since that will be my primary stat
Can't decide on a new weapon.

Have the dragon sword (the one with 200 dmg and no scaling), but I will soon arrive at a SL where it is just not the "best" weapon anymore.

Heard the Claymore should be good?

I am new to DS, but is the upgrading comparable to DS2 or are the materials more rare and I should choose wisely?
The materials aren't very hard to come by at all. If you have dragon scales you can get the drake sword to at least 300 I think. Or you can upgrade the claymore. At +9 it's better than the drake sword, I think I heard. not factoring scaling.

Has anyone gotten the art book and would recommend getting it? It seems a bit slim but looking at a few images online the art is amazing.

Donos

Wassup guys. Close to the platinum in Demon's Souls but this damn Pure Bladestone doesn't want to drop. So i bought Dark Souls (used, 18€ ebay) for PS3 and i'm ready to roll when it comes this week. At least i know what to expect.
What i want to ask is which class i should take when i want to go melee and not cheese half of the bosses with magic.

Took the Royal class with Soul Arrow in DeS but in the end, Harry Pottering the first quarter of the game was lame and to "easy".

I just want a melee class (STR, or STR/DEX) and use swords and shield. I also want to try to not use any guides/wikis till i'm totally stuck.

Is it ok to play online or should i stick to offline? Played DeS only offline (because WT) or online in souls form to not get invaded by hardcore trolls.

I gathered from different threads that i should not use the Drake Sword because it's op?

daninthemix

Wassup guys. Close to the platinum in Demon's Souls but this damn Pure Bladestone doesn't want to drop. So i bought Dark Souls (used, 18€ ebay) for PS3 and i'm ready to roll when it comes this week. At least i know what to expect.
What i want to ask is which class i should take when i want to go melee and not cheese half of the bosses with magic.

Took the Royal class with Soul Arrow in DeS but in the end, Harry Pottering the first quarter of the game was lame and to "easy".

I just want a melee class (STR, or STR/DEX) and use swords and shield. I also want to try to not use any guides/wikis till i'm totally stuck.

Is it ok to play online or should i stick to offline? Played DeS only offline (because WT) or online in souls form to not get invaded by hardcore trolls.

I gathered from different threads that i should not use the Drake Sword because it's op?

Just pick whichever starting class you like that has the most STR/DEX + VIT + END as those are the important stats. If I recall, knight and warrior are the only ones that start with 100% block shields, though you can pick one up soon enough regardless.

It's been said many times but the most important thing is finding a weapon you love and then upgrading the heck out of it. Once you've found your weapon, you'll know whether you want an STR or DEX build.

I've played through the whole thing offline no probs. Depends whether you're interested in online co-op or not.

I don't use spears very often, but I recommend buying a Pike from Andre. And then trying the running two handed R2, and laughing maniacally. (And then likely never using the weapon again, because it's not that great.)

I'd recommend the partizan then with a bit of a foray you can access a merchant who will sell you a chaos demon spear which is the longest reaching weapon in game. Those should suffice till you get further in. Then you can after killing Ornstein, get his spear with minimum investment thanks to a mimic.

Thanks! I'll be going back at it later today.

Top Bottom