• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Tarkus

I got impatient and went ahead and summoned Mildred. The fight was very easy, and I don't think I'll summon anyone again if I can help it, except maybe solaire once. I'm just really glad to be out of that dump.
On to Sen's fortress. This is about the point I haven't spoiled the experience for myself save for al, so it should be interesting.
I'm at the same point as you. I wonder if our phantoms crossed paths tonight. I was a bit worried about Blighttown after reading how much of a pain in the ass it is. Luckily, I killed all the snipers and Quelaag (with Mildred) on my first time through. I was starting to wonder if I'm just lucky or extra careful. Then I got to the part over by the waterwheel and died at least 10 times before getting out. The platforming in this game is really wonky and it's probably my only complaint other than the frame rate in Blighttown.

daninthemix

The Great Scythe makes Quelaag a hilariously stupid fight. R1 stun locks her indefinitely when right in front of her.

That's interesting to know. I noticed that I stunlocked with some hits of a Gargoyle Halbert which swings down from above, I guess the scythe's huge range means it hits the lady more consistently.

jerry1594

I'm at the same point as you. I wonder if our phantoms crossed paths tonight. I was a bit worried about Blighttown after reading how much of a pain in the ass it is. Luckily, I killed all the snipers and Quelaag (with Mildred) on my first time through. I was starting to wonder if I'm just lucky or extra careful. Then I got to the part over by the waterwheel and died at least 10 times before getting out. The platforming in this game is really wonky and it's probably my only complaint other than the frame rate in Blighttown.
I didn't die too many times by that wheel, but a few of those snipers got me at least twice. It was the most frustrating part until those mosquitos and the poison sewage. Those leeches are good for farming titanite though.
And even though my framerate is a whopping 15, it was mostly consistent (as if it would matter lol)

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I've been following the story (somewhat), but watttt @ the Dusk situation. I haven't progessed in the dlc yet, so it's probably explained. Her "present" circumstances are super shady. Hell, even gaining entrance to the dlc is shady as hell.

Ruuppa

Time's borked beyond imagining in Lordran. Time rewinding for most everything everytime your guy sits down to have a nap? Dudes appearing from multiple different periods in time, just to help you out?

Hell, you have access to different goddamn timelines at all times in the game. The whole concept is shady as hell.

jerry1594

I wonder if Lautrec is actually dead. You invade his world to kill him, but then again king Jeremiah invades yours even though you find his dead body later on.

Ruuppa

I wonder if Lautrec is actually dead. You invade his world to kill him, but then again king Jeremiah invades yours even though you find his dead body later on.

Depends on whether Lautrec was Undead or not. If he was human, he's dead.

Considering how time is weird in Lordran, it was probably Jeremiah's past self who invades you, even though he's dead in your present. Same with how Tarkus can help you out in Iron Golem, even though he's dead when you find his body.

Edit: Considering you only find Lautrec's set if you kill him, I'd say he was human. After your invasion, he managed to crawl up near to the Princess' chamber, only to die in a corner.

jerry1594

Depends on whether Lautrec was Undead or not. If he was human, he's dead.

Considering how time is weird in Lordran, it was probably Jeremiah's past self who invades you, even though he's dead in your present. Same with how Tarkus can help you out in Iron Golem, even though he's dead when you find his body.

Edit: Considering you only find Lautrec's set if you kill him, I'd say he was human. After your invasion, he managed to crawl up near to the Princess' chamber, only to die in a corner.
Well that whole thing with the fire keeper makes me think he's undead. You're probably right about Jeremiah. His giant fucking egg probably hatched a big maggot.

Manu

Progress! Killed the butterfly boss and Pinwheel, probably the easiest bosses so far. Killed Havel and took his ring. I still can't kill Lautrec :/

Aurarian

Got the claymore, but ended up losing 5000 souls due to the rats below the bridge when I was coming back to recover my souls. Two points short of being able to wield it with just one hand. Are there any good 1h swords(broadsword type) you guys would recommend?

Mistel

Banned
Got the claymore, but ended up losing 5000 souls due to the rats below the bridge when I was coming back to recover my souls. Two points short of being able to wield it with just one hand. Are there any good 1h swords(broadsword type) you guys would recommend?
You can two hand the claymore but maybe try a longsword.

Ruuppa

I've got a couple of those in my storage. Are they better than the broadsword with scaling?

They have a better Quality (Str/Dex) -scaling. Broadsword has a better Str scaling IIRC. Longsword has a superior moveset and range however.

Edit: Nevermind, they have the same scaling. Longsword wins out due to the moveset and range then.

That thrusting R2 on the longsword makes it a win over the wide slash of the broadsword. More versatile moveset.

Wish the Barbed Sword had the longsword moveset.

Donos

Daaaamn, just saw that i bought the normal game from Ebay and not the Prepare to die edition. And now Amazon.de lowered the price for that... The DLC is 13 € on the PSN store
So i have to pay 31€ in total for a used DaS copy + dlc when amazon is selling it new for 25 €... -_- ;_;

Nonetheless i'm really twitchy to start the game and hope my copy is in the mailbox.

Hmm, PSN web store says that the Artorias DLC is only 100kb big? That can't be right?

Hope it's not to big and i can download it in Sandwich time.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
It's because all the content for the DLC is already in the game, the 100kb is just an unlock key.

Being sucked into the past by Manus would qualify as shady probably.

Hope Manus had his hand clean

You invade his world so probably he is dead,
looking for the place you invaded him he was about to lend the firekeeper soul to Fina
, about Jeremiah he was trapped in the painting world like you but probably died before he can reach the exit, douchebag chosen undead.

jerry1594

Hope Manus had his hand clean

You invade his world so probably he is dead,
looking for the place you invaded him he was about to lend the firekeeper soul to Fina
, about Jeremiah he was trapped in the painting world like you but probably died before he can reach the exit, douchebag chosen undead.
That's an interesting theory. I'll have to take a look at the place when I get there. As for Jeremiah it's stated he was imprisoned there.
a theory about him is that he went to learn pyromancy in the swamp and maybe became a chaos servant. Judging from his gigantic crown some say he's concealing a giant egg. Maybe he was taking humanity left and right so they threw him in there.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Got the Guardian tail and killed it. That was a fun boss fight. Did some exploring and ran into Artorias. Did Manus snatch this dude out of Devil May Cry? Holy Shit. Wasn't expecting to get caught by a Level 3 Stinger. Wow.

Got the Guardian tail and killed it. That was a fun boss fight. Did some exploring and ran into Artorias. Did Manus snatch this dude out of Devil May Cry? Holy Shit. Wasn't expecting to get caught by a Level 3 Stinger. Wow.

Either that, or Berserk:

Artorias%20and%20Guts.jpg

Donos

Only 10min in but there seems to be a small delay in the roll. DeS seemed tighter.

Lol, that escalated quickly (first boss).

Hayabusi

Haha, I am at the same point, too. :)
Just entered Sen's Fortress.

jerry1594

^ I don't think I'm quite there yet. I was about to say sen's isn't so bad save for those swinging axes, which just knocked me off. But hey at least I got the covetous gold serpent ring.
And the man serpent greatsword right now lol
Update 2 I got the black knight greatsword ahhhhhhhh

jerry1594

I wonder how that compares with my badass black knight sword +3. You must have found that with your fancy new ring. Is there a black knight in Sen's Fortress?
It does 220 base damage but of course it's slower. You need 32str to one hand it I think. All black knight weapons are pretty good. This knight is in the undead parish. I held off on fighting him cause I had rotten luck with four other knights. Right now I'm collecting titanite to get it to +4.

Mistel

Banned
It does 220 base damage but of course it's slower. You need 32str to one hand it I think. All black knight weapons are pretty good. This knight is in the undead parish. I held off on fighting him cause I had rotten luck with four other knights. Right now I'm collecting titanite to get it to +4.
You need twinkling titanite for the black knight weapons.
I just dont know how I get there!!!
Neither do I. I assume it's from above and you've got to time it right but I've never practiced it.

jerry1594

Crystal caves and ash lake is where they can be found.

That shouldn't take that long at all then to upgrade it.
It actually took longer than it should've because I thought I had to return to a bonfire every time the lizard disappeared lol. One shotting the serpent men with an r2 is even better than flattening them with the zweihander.

Aurarian

Got one other question for now. Is it not recommended to upgrade armor at this point? What about my shield?

I have the hollow soldier shield ATM. I also got another one that dropped from one of the Balder's that I can't remember the name. I think it was knight shield. Will check and edit again.

Top Bottom