• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Got one other question for now. Is it not recommended to upgrade armor at this point? What about my shield?

I have the hollow soldier shield ATM. I also got another one that dropped from one of the Balder's that I can't remember the name. I think it was knight shield. Will check and edit again.
Upgrading armour is a nice bonus say early on. Do it if you have have the titanite to spare, but your weapon should always come first.

Balder Knight shield is very good, if you have the stats for it go with that.

Mistel

Banned
Got one other question for now. Is it not recommended to upgrade armor at this point? What about my shield?

I have the hollow soldier shield ATM. I also got another one that dropped from one of the Balder's that I can't remember the name. I think it was knight shield. Will check and edit again.
Upgrade the balder shield for its high stability. And you can upgrade armor at any point.

Exuro

Just beat the gaping dragon on my first try. Was ridiculously easy and I'm kind of disappointed. Then I went and got cursed by the cartoon frogs. :( Don't know what to do to get rid of that.

Just beat the gaping dragon on my first try. Was ridiculously easy and I'm kind of disappointed. Then I went and got cursed by the cartoon frogs. :( Don't know what to do to get rid of that.

You can explore New Londo to find a way to remove the curse. An easier way is an item sold by a particular merchant, though.

And yeah, Gaping Dragon is pretty easy.

Talk to the red robed guy in new londo to get rid of your course or get the curse stones from the clamps in ash lake or crystal caves

Tarkus

It actually took longer than it should've because I thought I had to return to a bonfire every time the lizard disappeared lol. One shotting the serpent men with an r2 is even better than flattening them with the zweihander.
I found another lizard on the pathway that connects Darkwood garden to the basin. I killed it with my new covetous ring and got more twinkling titanite. Plus, there's a halberd-wielding black knight and a cool shield down there too. I got the halberd but I'm not likely to use it. My bk sword is now +4 and over 430 damage In one hand! It's almost not even fair in the pit at Sen's Fortress now.

You can buy purging stones from the Female Undead Merchant (in the aqueduct) or Oswald of Carim (in the bell tower).

Alright GAF, tips for soloing Ornstein and Smough go!
I have a +10 Claymore and an Eagle Shield, as well as a Great Chaos Fireball with Pyromancy Flame +4. I've been able to survive for about 3 minutes in the room. My main problem is damage output I think (I also haven't tried very seriously yet).

Also my bonfire is not kindled.

Mistel

Banned
Alright GAF, tips for soloing Ornstein and Smough go!
I have a +10 Claymore and an Eagle Shield, as well as a Great Chaos Fireball with Pyromancy Flame +4. I've been able to survive for about 3 minutes in the room. My main problem is damage output I think (I also haven't tried very seriously yet).

Also my bonfire is not kindled.
Well kill Ornstein first for the easier time. It's rather easy with the pyromaniacs to kill them both once they are seperated.

jerry1594

I found another lizard on the pathway that connects Darkwood garden to the basin. I killed it with my new covetous ring and got more twinkling titanite. Plus, there's a halberd-wielding black knight and a cool shield down there too. I got the halberd but I'm not likely to use it. My bk sword is now +4 and over 430 damage In one hand! It's almost not even fair in the pit at Sen's Fortress now.
That's the one I was looking to kill. You should honestly give the halberd a shot. It's got a good moveset and it's the best black knight weapon. I've never fallen in the pit though.

Well kill Ornstein first for the easier time. It's rather easy with the pyromaniacs to kill them both once they are seperated.

Well I only have two attunement slots so I can only hold 1 Great Chaos Fireball. Is it worth it to grind and level up for more attunement slots?

Also my Great Chaos Fireball missed 3/4 times because Ornstein is really fast. Maybe I just need to be better at hitting him.

Mistel

Banned
Well I only have two attunement slots so I can only hold 1 Great Chaos Fireball. Is it worth it to grind and level up for more attunement slots?

Also my Great Chaos Fireball missed 3/4 times because Ornstein is really fast. Maybe I just need to be better at hitting him.
If you think you can't do it pure melee without resorting to pyromancy probably.

I wonder how that compares with my badass black knight sword +3. You must have found that with your fancy new ring. Is there a black knight in Sen's Fortress?

Both the sword and the halberd. You must have amazing luck!! Took me about 5 days of trying ( restoring PS+ save) to get the halberd. Man do I love that thing, got it to +2 and with Havels ring I'm slaying everything.

Tarkus

Both the sword and the halberd. You must have amazing luck!! Took me about 5 days of trying ( restoring PS+ save) to get the halberd. Man do I love that thing, got it to +2 and with Havels ring I'm slaying everything.
I got the sword in the asylum by chance with 0 humanity. The halberd was obtained with the covetous ring and 8 humanity; it was pretty much guaranteed then.

I got the sword in the asylum by chance with 0 humanity. The halberd was obtained with the covetous ring and 8 humanity; it was pretty much guaranteed then.

I have to get the ring, it's in Sens Fortress isn't it? I was thinking about hitting the 2 up in the asylum for the sword. How much hum it is needed to make it a 100% drop rate? Oh and I know it was said but you should give the halberd a try. It's killer!

Manu

Well, it took me an hour and a half but I finally killed Lautrec. I ended up using the Zweihander to crush him, back off and repeat until I got him.

He didn't drop any armor though, I thought you got his armor for killing him?

Toxi

Banned
Black Knight Greataxe is still the coolest Black Knight weapon, but I'll admit they all have their charms.

ihyj3HDaTeceI.gif

Maybe I just need to be better at hitting him.
There are some attacks that leave him very open if they miss; both of his charging stabs for example.

Well, it took me an hour and a half but I finally killed Lautrec. I ended up using the Zweihander to crush him, back off and repeat until I got him.

He didn't drop any armor though, I thought you got his armor for killing him?
Check out the balcony area above Oreos and S'mores.

The Flash

Banned
So I just finished my first play through of the game on Twitch. First impressions are; dark, creepy, challenging, but enjoyable. Hopefully I'll get more people in the chat to help me with stuff because I know next to nothing about how this game works.

Toxi

Banned
So I just finished my first play through of the game on Twitch. First impressions are; dark, creepy, challenging, but enjoyable. Hopefully I'll get more people in the chat to help me with stuff because I know next to nothing about how this game works.
Did you defeat the Asylum Demon yet?

Hope you love the game, it expands a huge amount after the beginning!

The Flash

Banned
Did you defeat the Asylum Demon yet?

Hope you love the game, it expands a huge amount after the beginning!

I did. My first attempt at him was by accident and came to a hilariously fast end but I triumphed after the second time. I ran into a Black Knight in Lordran? and stopped after that. People in the chat thought it was funny to watch me constantly forget to lock on so that was a plus I guess. I'm definitely going to play more of it. I've got the bug as they say.

Apparently the Xbox LIVE version that I got for free is the unpatched version as well so I'm going to do some investigating to get that situation sorted out.

Tarkus

I have to get the ring, it's in Sens Fortress isn't it? I was thinking about hitting the 2 up in the asylum for the sword. How much hum it is needed to make it a 100% drop rate? Oh and I know it was said but you should give the halberd a try. It's killer!
Yes, it's on a body near a hole that needs to filled with boulders. I don't think you can get a 100% drop rate. Maybe just 50 or 60% but I'm not really sure. I shouldn't have said "guaranteed" earlier. Anyway, 10 humanity with the ring gives you the maximum item discovery value.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Finally killed Artorias. Wow...this game tries to make you feel bad about killing certain characters. Yeesh. Gave up the soul to the grieving knight. Basically wrecked her family. :(

Dukes Archives...Seath is a bastard. Not only did I fall for the boss fight troll and lose souls, but basically massacred a bunch of now mindless innocents.

jerry1594

Finally killed Artorias. Wow...this game tries to make you feel bad about killing certain characters. Yeesh. Gave up the soul to the grieving knight. Basically wrecked her family. :(

Dukes Archives...Seath is a bastard. Not only did I fall for the boss fight troll and lose souls, but basically massacred a bunch of now mindless innocents.
He was corrupted by the abyss you did him a favor

Gorillaz

I think Duke Archieves and Crystal Caves were my favorite just because of the change in design. Like I said before I love ice/crystal levels in games

Seath is kind of a fun fight too, just be careful of the curse buildup

All those lore videos have gotten old. A bunch of superfans talking like nerds and making fan fictions.

It's enjoyable for a lot of us, so I don't see what the problem is. I like a lot of the lore videos, a lot of interesting things to think about and discuss. If you don't enjoy them, no need to watch them.

Donos

Only played 45min of my first playthrough and despite the tiny roll delay everything is fine. PS3 seems to be at max at some points though (slowdowns).

Just landed at Firelink Shrine Bonfire and damn i thought as DeS veteran, that i would not trip that easy but these skeletons from the graveyard after the Firelink Bonfire got some nasty new moves/evasive maneuvers. If they double team me, i have to run.

Going to sink a big chunk of time into this game in my vacation next week.

Is the Artorias DLC a new area i can go to from the start or is it blocked till i reach some point/lvl in the game?

daninthemix

Only played 45min of my first playthrough and despite the tiny roll delay everything is fine. PS3 seems to be at max at some points though (slowdowns).

Just landed at Firelink Shrine Bonfire and damn i thought as DeS veteran, that i would not trip that easy but these skeletons from the graveyard after the Firelink Bonfire got some nasty new moves/evasive maneuvers. If they double team me, i have to run.

Going to sink a big chunk of time into this game in my vacation next week.

Is the Artorias DLC a new area i can go to from the start or is it blocked till i reach some point/lvl in the game?

You need to do a bunch of things to unlock the DLC, and also the DLC is the hardest area of the game so I recommend leaving it until the end.

Go for faster pyromancies like the combustions. Regular is 16 casts, great is 8, iirc it's Ornstein that's weak to fire(?) to use them on him primarily.

If you're looking for more damage output - You can find the next ember to upgrade your weapon past +10. And equip magic boosting gear like Dusk crown, bellowing dragon ring. And if you want to be a bit cheeky, attune power within, you just have to manage your HP more vigilantly.

All those lore videos have gotten old. A bunch of superfans talking like nerds and making fan fictions.
You're in OT5, join the superfan nerd fan fiction club!! :)

Go for faster pyromancies like the combustions. Regular is 16 casts, great is 8, iirc it's Ornstein that's weak to fire(?) to use them on him primarily.

If you're looking for more damage output - You can find the next ember to upgrade your weapon past +10. And equip magic boosting gear like Dusk crown, bellowing dragon ring. And if you want to be a bit cheeky, attune power within, you just have to manage your HP more vigilantly.

Hmm okay. Do I need to go back to Firelink for combustion? Also is the next (very large?) ember near here? Don't want to trek outside of Anor Londo unless I really have to. And I'd like to get a lot done outside if I do.

Hmm okay. Do I need to go back to Firelink for combustion? Also is the next (very large?) ember near here? Don't want to trek outside of Anor Londo unless I really have to. And I'd like to get a lot done outside if I do.

If you're going back to Firelink, then the Very Large Ember won't be too far away. Except
it's in New Londo, past the ghosts. Who I think are more heinous than Ornstein and Smough.

Nordicus

Hmm okay. Do I need to go back to Firelink for combustion?
Yes, assuming the merchant is still there.
Also is the next (very large?) ember near here? Don't want to trek outside of Anor Londo unless I really have to. And I'd like to get a lot done outside if I do.
Nope, the Very Large Ember is in an area where you can only go after beating O&S unless you want to do something kinda sequencebreak-y and kill a certain friendly NPC for his key.

daninthemix

Yes, assuming the merchant is still there.
Nope, the Very Large Ember is in an area where you can only go after beating O&S unless you want to do something kinda sequencebreak-y and kill a certain friendly NPC for his key.

I do it every time. I just prefer rolling into Sens with a +15 something.

brickface

That's because it is that version.

Still can't believe it's not patchable. It's annoying me as I completed it originally pre-patch, then all the fancy stuff came with the patch (more souls from enemies, more humanity drops etc) and now, years after I sold it, I'm back to square one - don't really want to buy it again since it's free but broken. 600 souls for those giants in Darkroot, I want the proper 900!

Mistel

Banned
It's not sequence breaking at all. You could go get it before going to the depths if you were so inclined.

It's not sequence breaking at all. You could go get it before going to the depths if you were so inclined.
It is kinda sequence breaky, doesn't
Ingward only give you the seal once you get the Lord Vessel? So killing him for it before you kill O&S is "out of sequence".

It's been so long since I did it the 'correct' way, like you say you can grab it really early, it was usually one of the first things I did after getting a few supplies.

It is kinda sequence breaky, doesn't
Ingward only give you the seal once you get the Lord Vessel? So killing him for it before you kill O&S is "out of sequence".

It's been so long since I did it the 'correct' way, like you say you can grab it really early, it was usually one of the first things I did after getting a few supplies.

The default path was firelink
*White order quest*<undead burg<church<blacksmith *Onion quest*<bell<undeadburg L *starting sorcerers sidequest*<depths<blighttown<bell2<drakes valley<Dark root Hydra *Dusk sidequest*<undead burg OMG HAVEL please no! < church <*Optional return to the asylum*< *optional return to firelink shrine for Laurec sidequest* < sen fortress fun house < Anor Londo *Havel Sidequest*< *Optional Paiting world* < O&S < Boobie lady *the true truth about anor londo sidequest* < Anor Londo < Hunting the lords <Sen fortress<church<Tianite demon< return to dark root < moonlight butterfly < Anivia sidequ...nevermind < Sif < New Londo < Water system key < four kings < Placing the Lord vessel < Hunt of the remaining Lords < Lord of Cin...A new challenger have arrived!!! cut off content anyway < Lord of cinder.

The DLC changed a little of the rotation about going first to duke archives for the lost pendant instead of going to do the abyss ring quest.

Top Bottom