• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Well after quitting my initial playthrough after getting the Lord Vessel (Pyromancer) and playing the crap out of DS2. I am officially hooked on DS again. After getting the Black Knight Halberd the other day I'm progressing and I am about to head into Blightown to ring the second bell. I forgot about all the area that you are able to visit fairly early in the game (Catacombs, Darkroot, Great Hollow and Ash Lake). I honestly don't think I really payed much attention to the mechanics when I originally played it. I'm really looking forward to getting to the DLC.

Donos

well, i hit the undead merchant in the undead burg. Didn't see him. Now i read that i maybe can make him stop attacking me after fighting a boss and speaking to a npc. Is he worth starting a new game? Or should i kill him and take his stuff?

Mistel

Banned
well, i hit the undead merchant in the undead burg. Didn't see him. Now i read that i maybe can make him stop attacking me after fighting a boss and speaking to a npc. Is he worth starting a new game? Or should i kill him and take his stuff?
Not worth starting again as long as you don't kill him you should be able to be pardoned and still use his services. Or you can just kill him.

Gurrry

Ok guys, so this might be odd, but here it goes.

I frequent a different forum that has a video game board. Its not as nearly as active as its other boards, but I encouraged them to go download Dark Souls while it was free on XBL. I prefaced it by saying its the greatest game of the generation, and while it may be hard, it will be rewarding for them.

So a few days go by, and it looks like some of them took my advice.. Here are some of their replies:

Well, I'm glad I didn't pay for this game. If I have to put up with checkpoints, and repeating the same 20-minute stretch of dungeon over and over again, the game better be capturing my imagination, but it's just not. I played for a couple hours and didn't meet a single interesting character, pick up a single piece of gear I could wear, or fight anything other than a skeleton. The game is not only hard, it's boring.

(my first idea for a response was "lol get good casual")

I make it to the ledge and the damn demon thing kills me in 5 seconds. I fall off, I die. I can't turn around. I see no other route than to muscle through this section but don't know what to do. Tempted to restart in case I missed something. It's only 20 minutes in.

I make it to the ledge and the damn demon thing kills me in 5 seconds. I fall off, I die. I can't turn around. I see no other route than to muscle through this section but don't know what to do. Tempted to restart in case I missed something. It's only 20 minutes in.

What would you respond with so that they dont give up so easily? I have a response in mind, but I thought this would be interesting for some of you pros to answer so that I can encourage them to keep pushing.

Advice for new players:

- For the first boss(es): Keep your shield up and/or focus on dodging large enemies if you're having trouble figuring out how to hit them without them hitting you. This will let you figure out the best way to avoid or block their attacks. Then look for gaps in their attack patterns that let you go in for a few hits.

- After the Undead Asylum: Talk to every NPC you meet multiple times. Listen very carefully to what they say. It will almost always help you - either immediately, or later on. The first guy you meet in Firelink Shrine will tell you where to go at first. It's best to approach the game in the order he suggests.

Typically once people get to Undead Burg (particularly to the first bonfire), it's a lot easier to start moving through the game. TBH, I think the fact that most early enemies are skeletons or zombies (so, as far as halfway through Undead Parish) is a weakness of the game, as it feels very bland and uninteresting early on as a result. If people are frustrated at the same time that they're not even interested/engaged in what they're facing, you can't exactly blame them for quitting.

Why are they giving up?

Players are not used to bosses actually being challenging in the beginning of the game, so they think there is something wrong with them/the game.

Likewise, they are not used to having so many choices at the very beginning of a game, so they don't even consider that they could possibly be going the wrong way.

Tarkus

I frequent a different forum that has a video game board. Its not as nearly as active as its other boards, but I encouraged them to go download Dark Souls while it was free on XBL. I prefaced it by saying its the greatest game of the generation, and while it may be hard, it will be rewarding for them.

So a few days go by, and it looks like some of them took my advice.. Here are some of their replies:

(my first idea for a response was "lol get good casual")

What would you respond with so that they dont give up so easily? I have a response in mind, but I thought this would be interesting for some of you pros to answer so that I can encourage them to keep pushing.
This is not a first-person shooter my friend. The masses will NOT like this game. It is not the game of the generation and not the game for them. Only a very small sect...sad but true.

Jamesways

Kinda running out of steam on the game, but 7 times through, so maybe it's finally time for DS2 which I've put off.
Did 5 runthroughs with one character, did another single playthrough with a sorcerer, and a last just choosing my favorite Dex, magic, and pyro.

Just solo'ed O&S, and downed them in one attempt with low VIT, felt good. I shouldn't say it's easy, but you forget how much damage you can dish out to them on just NG compared to the later NG+s. And I've co-oped them so many times, I know the patterns like the back of my hand.

I remember scoffing at people saying DS wasn't difficult. But it just takes experience, once you know what to do and when, you can run through it pretty quick. I still might do a SL1 run before DS2.

Nothing like that first time though.

Favorite game this gen for sure. I've put 700 hours in Skyrim and about 300 in DS. DS was more worth it IMO.

Well, you can tell most recent games tells you where to go, where to explore, how to do everything without putting effort on it, then you meet dark souls, an old school non friendly game that doesnt tell you where to go, this is where they crash because they have to figure out the game by themselves at the very first minutes of the game.

They just have to think, see their enviroment and react.

Kindled. Now how do I return to Hollow? I don't want to get pooped on by an invader lol

Die.

Aurarian

Just killed the Gaping Dragon here and entered Blighttown for the first time. So much poison. I got the toxic buff and it straight ate all my flasks and then killed me. Where's a good place to farm titanite shards? Trying to see if I can bring my longsword up more. Already up to +4.

Booshka

Just killed the Gaping Dragon here and entered Blighttown for the first time. So much poison. I got the toxic buff and it straight ate all my flasks and then killed me. Where's a good place to farm titanite shards? Trying to see if I can bring my longsword up more. Already up to +4.

Farm some souls and buy them, they aren't too expensive and the Blacksmith in Undead Parish sells them.

You will need the Large Titanite Shards and a Large Ember to take your weapon to +6, Large Ember is in the Depths, so make sure you explore and grab it. Then look around for a Large Titanite Shard in the level, or farm the Slime enemies that fall from the ceiling for some Large and Green Shards. Get your Longsword to +5 with normal Titanite, talk to Andre the Blacksmith to give him Large Ember, then modify it to take to +6.

Blighttown is your next area to go to, there is a merchant that sells Moss items to cure poison, bleed and toxic, but you can also farm them from Tree enemies in the Forest. Blighttown also has a really good Large Shard farming spot way into the level, so that's where you can go to farm those.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Ugh. If only you could aim downward with the bow. I saw my souls/bloodstain from a ledge, that's right in front of Manus' fog gate, and randomly saw his eyes. Didn't dawn on me to check beforehand. He'd be eating a ton of poison arrows if you could.

These stunlock combos are crazy. :( I'm thinking about trying to do it with no shield or equipment except my longsword, flask, and pendant.

Edit: nvm. Lol. I'll give him the fair one tho, since it's more fun that way.

Booshka

Ugh. If only you could aim downward with the bow. I saw my souls/bloodstain from a ledge, that's right in front of Manus' fog gate, and randomly saw his eyes. Didn't dawn on me to check beforehand. He'd be eating a ton of poison arrows if you could.

These stunlock combos are crazy. :( I'm thinking about trying to do it with no shield or equipment except my longsword, flask, and pendant.

You can no scope snipe Manus until he dies, I have done it plenty of times, mostly to ruin the lives of gankers.

Get Red Tear activated with low health, Black Bow of Pharis with High dex and Feather Arrows, kill Manus in a couple minutes max.

If you are having problems with stunlock, learn to toggle escape. Spam the right or left d pad buttons to quickly swap weapons over and over, it will get you out of stunlock combos. If you time it properly you can avoid being staggered by pretty much every hit. It's similar to parry timing, you hit the toggle escape right before their attack lands, then the swapping weapons animation gets you out of the stagger/stunlock.

this vid has plenty of examples of the technique Excuse the music.

Donos

I guess the normal way after arriving Firelink Bonfire is up to the Undead Burg because the Skeletons with shield at the graveyard (opposite way) are a bit to tough atm.
Typical Souls moment: lured every one of the 6 skeletons individually away from the graveyard and fought them 1-1 while using up most of my estus. At the last one i was almost cheering, close to delivering the final blow, when i see a giant skeleton with a sword the size of my character behind me, crushing my head in with this thing...

After respawning, i grabbed my souls running and went the Undead Burg way :p. Going to come back there when i have 20 soul levels more and better weapon. Like the game so far (from the little i have seen) but the atmosphere is not as thick as in Demon's Souls.

I guess the normal way after arriving Firelink Bonfire is up to the Undead Burg because the Skeletons with shield at the graveyard (opposite way) are a bit to tough atm.
Typical Souls moment: lured every one of the 6 skeletons individually away from the graveyard and fought them 1-1 while using up most of my estus. At the last one i was almost cheering, close to delivering the final blow, when i see a giant skeleton with a sword the size of my character behind me, crushing my head in with this thing...

After respawning, i grabbed my souls running and went the Undead Burg way :p. Going to come back there when i have 20 soul levels more and better weapon. Like the game so far (from the little i have seen) but the atmosphere is not as thick as in Demon's Souls.

What class? Pyro can kill the first two skeletons with 4 Fireballs at a distance. Then pull the Giant Skeleton (against tomb stone on the right) near the cliffside where you came in from and make it fall off. 500 Souls easy peasy :p

Donos

What class? Pyro can kill the first two skeletons with 4 Fireballs at a distance. Then pull the Giant Skeleton (against tomb stone on the right) near the cliffside where you came in from and make it fall off. 500 Souls easy peasy :p

Warrior, no spells,was lvl 7 (now lvl 10 in undead burg). Just a Longsword, Heater Shield and bravery.

Mistel

Banned
Warrior, no spells,was lvl 7 (now lvl 10 in undead burg). Just a Longsword, Heater Shield and bravery.
You could pick up a zweihander and morning star right from the start. Or if you are feeling really adventurous a gravelord sword.

I haven't really noticed an increase in the number of summoning signs since the game went free with gold on the 360.

I'm in the catacombs these days, have joined the Gravelord Covenant and offered as many eyes of death to Nito as I had. The Titanite Demon in the catacombs wasn't too bad, I made short work of him with Quelaag's Furysword.

After Ornstein and Smough, I thought the difficulty would ease up a little. But holy fuck at the Four Kings. For a while there I thought I'd hit a brick wall, and was afraid I'd never get further in the game. I tried summoning phantoms, Witch Beatrice, other players, what-have-you, and I could never get past the second king. I tried gold pine resin on my +5 Raw Zweihander, I tried charcoal pine resin. I tried running at them, I tried hanging back. Nothing worked.

In the end, I went solo, in hollow form, with my spiked shield on my back and Quelaag's Furysword in both my hands. Sprinted at the first king and got right up in his face. Rolled when I could, chugged estus when needed, and whacked him as hard and as quickly as I could manage. He was gone in 30 seconds or less. Next king was the same, and the third was even easier. I even had enough time to head off and collect my souls from a previous death in between the third and fourth king as I was ahead of schedule. Then, I hit up some Iron Flesh and fucked that motherfucker so hard. Christ, it felt good. No other game has given me so much elation (and despair).

This is the best game of the generation for me. If Beast's Souls turns out for the better, I'll have to pick up a PS4. I'll have no choice.

Beat up the Moonlight Butterfly and grabbed the ember from the area by Sif. Then headed down in the depth to wrap up my time last night. I also was able to get my BKH up to +4 and and my str up to 36 so I can 1 hand it. So much more fun than my first playthrough as a pyromancer.

Smidget

I can't beat O + S. First time through Dark Souls and although some bosses have been frustrating, I've gotten close and eventually beat them. I feel like I've been trying forever to beat O + S. Going for O first.

Equipment:
Quelaags Furysword +2 - using on O
Lightning Spear +4 - using on S

Eagle Shield +5
Mask of the Sealer +2
Shadow Garb +1
Wanderer Manchette
Wanderer Boots +1

Lvl 52
Vitality 19
Attunement 11
Endurance 25
Strength 25
Dexterity 17
Resistance 14
Intelligence 11
Faith 11

I'm debating going back to the area with all the rats to farm humanity since I'm out, along the way try to upgrade all of my equipment/weapons at the other blacksmith and then summon and try again. Sound like a plan? Sigh! :(

If you do summon, Solaire owns O for free. lol. I was impressed at how much ass he was kicking.
This is one of those YMMV situations. The NPC AI in Souls is patchy at best, sometimes you can sit back and watch, other times they totally crap out and do nothing or get stuck in a loop.

Solaire especially is useful as a decoy and not much else usually. Others like Beatrice (for the Moonlight Butterfly) and Leeroy (Pinwheel) can do the job on their own if you want them to. Mildred is another one who can sometimes tank for you like a champ or just stand at the doorway waiting to drown in a lava pool if she doesn't feel like it.

daninthemix

This is one of those YMMV situations. The NPC AI in Souls is patchy at best, sometimes you can sit back and watch, other times they totally crap out and do nothing or get stuck in a loop.

Solaire especially is useful as a decoy and not much else usually. Others like Beatrice (for the Moonlight Butterfly) and Leeroy (Pinwheel) can do the job on their own if you want them to. Mildred is another one who can sometimes tank for you like a champ or just stand at the doorway waiting to drown in a lava pool if she doesn't feel like it.

Yep, I've seen everything you described in my playthroughs. Mildred has won the Queelag fight for me before, and done absolutely nothing as well. Solaire ditto.

Iron Tarkus tends to kick ass though.

What's the co-op playerbase like on GFWL at the moment BTW? Is it easy to summon/be summoned?

Mistel

Banned
Where's the summon sign for Beatrice for the 4 Kings?

Also, can summon Leeroy for Pinwheel?
Beatrice sign is right near the fog door around the corner. She's kinda not very helpful. Leeroy on the other hand makes mincemeat out of pinwheel and pretty much the entire catacombs. His sign is on a ledge you drop down to.

Jamesways

Beatrice sign is right near the fog door around the corner. She's kinda not very helpful. Leeroy on the other hand makes mincemeat out of pinwheel and pretty much the entire catacombs. His sign is on a ledge you drop down to.

Awesome, thanks! Learning something new about this game even still.

gaming_noob

I just started this game and just beat Taurus Demon. What is humanity points? I know I lose them if I die but what does it do? What will happen if I don't get enough humanity points?

I just started this game and just beat Taurus Demon. What is humanity points? I know I lose them if I die but what does it do? What will happen if I don't get enough humanity points?

Humanity is used to revert back Hollow and become Human, being human you can be able to summon other players to aid you with bosses, kindle bonfires to you can get more estus capacity in that bonfire but at the cost of being invaded by other players. it also increase your discovery rate (capped at 10 humanity) and more elemental resistance.

Aurarian

Just got to the bonfire in Blighttown and explored up to the white fog door(imminent bossfight?). Really crappy FPS on my machine for some reason. I also found the Eagle Shield. Is it worth switching from my balder + 2?

Top Bottom