• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Tarkus

Just got to the bonfire in Blighttown and explored up to the white fog door(imminent bossfight?). Really crappy FPS on my machine for some reason. I also found the Eagle Shield. Is it worth switching from my balder + 2?
Blighttown is tough on the engine. Wait until one area toward the end where there are multiple snipers simultaneously shooting at you. It's a slide show on PS3. That fog door is much like a halfway point. The Eagle shield is not that great IMO. It's only 95% physical damage reduction. I think it has decent lightning magic resistance but I can't really remember. Keep the Balder.

edit: You lose the parry ability with large shields if that matters to you. It's replaced with a bash.

so i was planning on making a level 11 balderbro for coop/invasions, and I can't decide where to put my precious 8 stat points. here's what i started off with (wanderer base stats)

vit 10
att 11
end 10
str 10
dex 14
int 11
faith 8

i'm very conflicted at the moment. getting heal for coop would be tits, but that's four freaking levels to dedicate to get it. idk.

one more attunement point would give me two slots, so that's almost definitely gonna happen. but besides that. i donno. more STR would give me more options, but it's kind of refreshing to be so limited in weapons. till i got the BSS to drop i was two handing the lightning spear, two handing the great scythe, used the shit out of the dagger. and two more strength points would let me use the balder shield (and the gargoyle shield, but I'm already at O&S so that'd only really be useful in the valley of the drakes). but i really dont want to use weapons > 15 strength. idk.

endurance feels right to give me more balder swag, but 5 or so levels would only give me like 10% more endurance. that's not shit. vitality is really helpful at those low levels. but i always feel like a bitch anytime i upgrade vit. any thoughts for a SL11 build?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
He's coming right for you!!!

overhand_leap_by_aloo81-d7lb3iz.gif

Booshka

so i was planning on making a level 11 balderbro for coop/invasions, and I can't decide where to put my precious 8 stat points. here's what i started off with (wanderer base stats)

vit 10
att 11
end 10
str 10
dex 14
int 11
faith 8

i'm very conflicted at the moment. getting heal for coop would be tits, but that's four freaking levels to dedicate to get it. idk.

one more attunement point would give me two slots, so that's almost definitely gonna happen. but besides that. i donno. more STR would give me more options, but it's kind of refreshing to be so limited in weapons. till i got the BSS to drop i was two handing the lightning spear, two handing the great scythe, used the shit out of the dagger. and two more strength points would let me use the balder shield (and the gargoyle shield, but I'm already at O&S so that'd only really be useful in the valley of the drakes). but i really dont want to use weapons > 15 strength. idk.

endurance feels right to give me more balder swag, but 5 or so levels would only give me like 10% more endurance. that's not shit. vitality is really helpful at those low levels. but i always feel like a bitch anytime i upgrade vit. any thoughts for a SL11 build?
5 into Intelligence, 3 into Attunement. Get 3 Spells and a bevvy of interesting and fun Int Spells. Use Oolacile Catalyst for best damage for your stats. Use the smaller weapons, Rapier, Estoc, Balder Side Sword, Falchion. 2 hand Katanas like Iaito and Uchi.

Mistel

Banned
Never thought about hitting it when it's flying. Might be useful for sure. I'll try that out tomorrow.

I'm using the starting scimitar.
It's easier with a longer weapon but it might help you. Have you upgraded you weapons and armor at the blacksmith yet?

Tarkus

Just faced an invader for first time without dying before he found me. At Sen's Fortress of all places and right at golem fog door. He parried me then riposted. Too bad I had summoned Iron Tarkus to help me with the golem. He focused on Tarkus...big mistake! 3 whacks with the bk sword +4 and down went DarkInvader123 or whatever his name was. He just got handled by a rookie! I thought it was courteous not to invade at Sen's funhouse. Next, the golem was incredibly easy. Tarkus got stuck near the door and only came in for one swing on the boss. The golem must not be able to attack if you cripple him. Anyway, what a great experience for my first time being invaded. I thought for sure he was going to fuck me up.

gogosox82

Just got to the bonfire in Blighttown and explored up to the white fog door(imminent bossfight?). Really crappy FPS on my machine for some reason. I also found the Eagle Shield. Is it worth switching from my balder + 2?

Balder Shield is one of the best medium shields in the game, right behind silver knight shield and black knight shield. I'd keep the balder shield honestly.

So you're saying I shouldn't feel bad about upgrading my Balder Shield to +9?

Also, I decided to leave Anor Londo before killing O&S to do some leveling and upgrading. I kinda want to make a boss weapon but the only one that is available and slightly worth it is Queelag's Fury Sword. I don't usually play with humanity, so is it still worth it? I might also venture to get the Very Large Ember.

I tried to co-op Iron Golem but nobody summoned me for like an hour. Is co-op dead for this game? Is it much better for Dark Souls 2?

Mistel

Banned
So you're saying I shouldn't feel bad about upgrading my Balder Shield to +9?
No you shouldn't it's a very good shield to have.
I tried to co-op Iron Golem but nobody summoned me for like an hour. Is co-op dead for this game? Is it much better for Dark Souls 2?
Probably because of how easy the Iron golem is that so few bother to co-op it. Co-op is pretty decent still I think. 2 is kinda iffy to say it's "better" because of the way the soul memory system works.

Cool, okay. What bosses are good for co-op? I'm level 41, but I'd be down with creating a new character just for co-op, I just want to try it out.

Mistel

Banned
At 41 you should do Ornstein and Smough as co-op it gives you some practice at them. I'd also maybe think about getting some weapons that scale with your stats too.

Oh man, I should've put down my summon sign before leaving Anor Londo then. Oh well, I'll stop by Firelink and hopefully buy a combustion spell. I think I'll leave the Very Large Ember for later.

Do a lot of people co-op bosses they're having trouble with to practice? I should've thought of that before!

Mistel

Banned
Yep people do that to practice in Anor londo's case it could be somone who's already done both bosses and is helping others for sunlight medals or just souls.

Tarkus

Anor Lando is such a nice change in scenery. People seem to love invading others here. I've been invaded three times here...2 wins, 1 loss. O & S smacked me around the first time. I wish I had the endurance to wear Havel's set. Am I being a pussy by summoning Solaire and a co-op, or can you even do that?

Anor Lando is such a nice change in scenery. People seem to love invading others here. I've been invaded three times here...2 wins, 1 loss. O & S smacked me around the first time. I wish I had the endurance to wear Havel's set. Am I being a pussy by summoning Solaire and a co-op, or can you even do that?

Nah, solaire is a good tank to make fight less stressful but you have to try it solo first, it is a big achievement doing that fight all by yourself, let you understand how hard is a real dual boss fight

Aurarian

Hey guys, need a little guidance. Not sure where I should go next. I've pretty much conquered Blighttown now. I got a key that lead me to the valley of drakes and then went back up to Firelink shrine. The girl at the bottom was dead though and now I can't upgrade my flask to +2. Got my longsword to +8 and the shield to +4. I think the worms are the mobs that give the shards we were talking about earlier in the thread so I may farm to max the sword at +10. Any other embers out there?

Mistel

Banned
Never bought the game, never asked for the game, it just appeared, looking at my download history someone shared me the license.
Okay I can see that being awkward then.
It has better resistances though and it only one point less stability than balder.
If I mentioned the resistances then yes you are correct in that regard.
Hey guys, need a little guidance. Not sure where I should go next. I've pretty much conquered Blighttown now. I got a key that lead me to the valley of drakes and then went back up to Firelink shrine. The girl at the bottom was dead though and now I can't upgrade my flask to +2. Got my longsword to +8 and the shield to +4. I think the worms are the mobs that give the shards we were talking about earlier in the thread so I may farm to max the sword at +10. Any other embers out there?
There's several different embers within the world. The normal path maxes out at +15 it requires an ember that is very nearby if you wish to collect it.

Alrighty! I finally got some co-op going! Got summoned a few times and beat O&S once. Then I used that humanity and another one to kindle the bonfire and then tried to summon people on my own. Didn't make it too far though because someone invaded me and killed me.

What's the best way to gain humanity? I could eat another one, but I'm afraid I'll run out (also a bit of too good to use syndrome). Do I just have to keep beating bosses on co-op for humanity?

Mistel

Banned
What's the best way to gain humanity? I could eat another one, but I'm afraid I'll run out (also a bit of too good to use syndrome). Do I just have to keep beating bosses on co-op for humanity?
Farm rats in the depths or successfully invade and murder a host.

gogosox82

If I mentioned the resistances then yes you are correct in that regard.

Well that's why its better imo but honestly we're comparing an A to an A-. Doesn't really matter in the long run, their both great but balder is easier to get since you can farm for it early. Unless you get a lucky drop from the black knights, you usually have to wait until the kiln to get one.

Kevtones

Playing this after finishing II... And I beat DS and DeS upon release...

This game is so much looser. I can already the level design is better but the gameplay is much less dependable. Actually, I'm missing the bonfire menu of DSII already and tbh, I'm starting to disagree with the thread title.

DSII gameplay with DS world = bueno

Playing this after finishing II... And I beat DS and DeS upon release...

This game is so much looser. I can already the level design is better but the gameplay is much less dependable. Actually, I'm missing the bonfire menu of DSII already and tbh, I'm starting to disagree with the thread title.

DSII gameplay with DS world = bueno

The base mechanics definitely feel different. I would argue that DS1 is the more dependable one, though. There's rarely ever the issue with hitboxes that DS2 had, for one. For another, things like parrying are much tighter, and much easier to consistently pull off. Enemies are still difficult, but it's easier to predict their moves, and thus pull off parries or whatever. (Less WTF deaths.) Compare fighting a Black Knight to a Heide Knight. The Black Knights are hard, but predictable. The Heide Knights just have a really weird moveset that's difficult to predict. That kind of thing, in my opinion, leads to more "unfair" deaths. (Not that every enemy in DS2 was like that, though. Really only a few.)

I would also argue that NOT giving you the ability to warp at the start of the game is hugely important for the design of Dark Souls 1. For one, it forced them to much more careful with their level design. (Shortcuts, area connectivity, etc.) I think the more important aspect is how it forces you to commit to your actions more. You make it to certain areas of the game and you really *feel* how far away you are from where you started. It's an almost sinking feeling of despair in certain areas, when you realize you're in an incredibly dangerous area, and getting out would be just as hard. So your only choice is forward, and the feeling of overcoming that is so good. (Whereas in DS2, it's so easy to just warp to another area when you're having even the slightest bit of trouble, and come back when you are beefier.) I feel like the level design in the second half of the game maybe fell apart a bit in part because of warping. (Pure conjecture, though.)

That being said, I love DS2 as well. It's a great game. And I'm also not a fan of the thread title, either. It seems purely motivated to be inflammatory. They are both good games, and some people prefer one over the other. Nothing wrong with liking DS2 over DS1, despite what a lot of the internet would have you think lately. (I've encountered a lot of "stop liking what I don't like" attitudes when people say they enjoy DS2.)

Kevtones

The base mechanics definitely feel different. I would argue that DS1 is the more dependable one, though. There's rarely ever the issue with hitboxes that DS2 had, for one. For another, things like parrying are much tighter, and much easier to consistently pull off. Enemies are still difficult, but it's easier to predict their moves, and thus pull off parries or whatever. (Less WTF deaths.) Compare fighting a Black Knight to a Heide Knight. The Black Knights are hard, but predictable. The Heide Knights just have a really weird moveset that's difficult to predict. That kind of thing, in my opinion, leads to more "unfair" deaths. (Not that every enemy in DS2 was like that, though. Really only a few.)

I would also argue that NOT giving you the ability to warp at the start of the game is hugely important for the design of Dark Souls 1. For one, it forced them to much more careful with their level design. (Shortcuts, area connectivity, etc.) I think the more important aspect is how it forces you to commit to your actions more. You make it to certain areas of the game and you really *feel* how far away you are from where you started. It's an almost sinking feeling of despair in certain areas, when you realize you're in an incredibly dangerous area, and getting out would be just as hard. So your only choice is forward, and the feeling of overcoming that is so good. (Whereas in DS2, it's so easy to just warp to another area when you're having even the slightest bit of trouble, and come back when you are beefier.) I feel like the level design in the second half of the game maybe fell apart a bit in part because of warping. (Pure conjecture, though.)

That being said, I love DS2 as well. It's a great game. And I'm also not a fan of the thread title, either. It seems purely motivated to be inflammatory. They are both good games, and some people prefer one over the other. Nothing wrong with liking DS2 over DS1, despite what a lot of the internet would have you think lately. (I've encountered a lot of "stop liking what I don't like" attitudes when people say they enjoy DS2.)

It's strange and maybe I don't understand 'hitboxes' correctly but I keep feeling like my guy gets hit when he actually doesn't. That and I hit enemies when I actually don't. DSII felt better to me now that I'm revisiting DS? Yeah I know DSII is more fresh, but it also feels way tighter.

Also, I am already missing the 10-15 enemy respawn limit. It was a GREAT decision now that I've played DS again. If I'm not polishing an area in 10 tries, I don't need more and I don't need to fight Grunt McX and Grunter MxY.

I wasn't saying any of this after playing DSII btw - but going back to DS, I get their changes and I approve them. However, I really love the world of DS and even the style has a certain consistent charm that DSII never found. I'd argue the interiors look better too.

I loved the diversity of environments in DSII, but I felt like their design (which was B+ and I think really good in terms of 'giving space'), was more consistent than their look.

No Man's Wharf is probably my favorite DSII area, tbh.

The framerate in DS has also made things more tricky. Even in the opening area I got a little flummoxed.

Somehow trending DSII but I guess it comes down to the DLC... I still haven't done DS' DLC because I wasn't able to pick up my character properly after two years and defeat Hydra on NG++++ lol

Kevtones

So removing difficulty with the spawn limit is good?

It's not removing difficulty, I'd argue that it's removing tedium.

If I can't beat an area boss after 10 tries but I can run through its 12 enemies w/o trouble - why keep fighting them?

I need to learn the boss and its tactics, not the grunters. It's not adding challenge, it's adding fluff.

If I can't beat an area boss after 10 tries but I can run through its 12 enemies w/o trouble - why keep fighting them?

I need to learn the boss and its tactics, not the grunters. It's not adding challenge, it's adding fluff.

Absolutely agree with this. Once you've killed a group of mobs 12 times, they are no longer difficult. You're problem lies elsewhere.

And besides, it allows for the interesting Bonfire Ascetic mechanic. Being able to make a specific area into NG+ difficulty before actually starting NG+ is interesting.

Kevtones

Absolutely agree with this. Once you've killed a group of mobs 12 times, they are no longer difficult. You're problem lies elsewhere.

And besides, it allows for the interesting Bonfire Ascetic mechanic. Being able to make a specific area into NG+ difficulty before actually starting NG+ is interesting.

I really liked this aspect too. It also helped in removing the need to replay the entire game to get X item that you may have passed/used.

Great idea.

Bonfire Ascetics were super addicting and have a world of potential. Imagine if they brought back TENDENCY changes and perhaps used different enemies with different tendencies?

What if NG and or NG+ somehow were related to time periods?

Push forward every 100 years with a Bonfire Ascetic...

Sweet mercy...

Mistel

Banned

So removing enemies to you isn't the same as removing the challenge? To me you shouldn't be able to waltz to the boss irregardless of how many times you kill the mobs.

It's making the game easier because you can't do it.

If you're just doing a boss run you don't need to kill enemies - just run past them.

I beat quelagg and the butterfly in the garden. Any use for their souls besides consumption?
All boss souls can be used to make unique weapons down the line. Quelaag's is a favourite of a lot of new players, so definately hang on to that at least. I wouldn't consume any of them until you've seen what they can be used for, since the souls you gain from consuming them isn't that great an amount.

Manu

Can I say "fuck Tomb of The Giants"? Because fuck Tomb of The Giants.

I made it to Nito once though, and I only seem to have problems with his wave/explosion thing, but otherwise he's not too hard.

I really liked this aspect too. It also helped in removing the need to replay the entire game to get X item that you may have passed/used.

Great idea.

Its a double edge mechanic since you dont have to play the game than it was intended since you can go N+8 in your first run so they moved the spell shorcuts in N+3 and special souls in N+ to motivated you to play it more.

Can I say "fuck Tomb of The Giants"? Because fuck Tomb of The Giants.

I made it to Nito once though, and I only seem to have problems with his wave/explosion thing, but otherwise he's not too hard.

DS2 looked like it was gonna be Tomb of the Giants the game with the lightning engine they showed.

Torraz

Still on my first ever playthrough of the PC edition.

Just beat the Gargoyles and decided to give the Darkroot Garden (I think that was the name) a whirl. I actually made it pretty far, to a boss, the moonlight butterfly.

Unfortunately it shredded me in seconds. The weird thing was, I actually found a summon sign outside of the room, and summoned "phantom witch beatrice", but the NPC did nothing except for following me. I tried moving her in front of the boss, but the NPC would not attack.

Is there any point to wasting humanity items, restoring my humanity, and trying again with the NPC, or should I say goodbye to those ~8k souls?

Thanks!

Top Bottom