• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Donos

Got my first contact with these huge knights (black knights?). Well, yep, like the Red Eyed Knights in DeS they spank my ass with my early, momentary gear/lvl. Killed one with the hellikite dragon and the other fell off a cliff while i was luring him to the dragon again :p.

Really like the Estus Flask system. No more managing hundreds of different herbs and stuff.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I made shrine of amana ng+7 with bonfire ascetics and kept using seed of the tree of giants to kill invaders.

Now I can't progress ( ≖‿≖)

Aurarian

I went down into the ruins but I couldn't find it. There were some some areas blocked off, i can only assume you can get it when those areas are unblocked?

Beat Quelaag and opened Sens Fortress. Not sure if I should just tackle that right away
I hear it's a pain
or if I should just explore the world some more and grind a bit.

Mistel

Banned
Beat Quelaag and opened Sens Fortress. Not sure if I should just tackle that right away
I hear it's a pain
Depends really it's quite an easy area and rather short compared to some of the others. Plus you can get some nice equipment whilst you are there.

Ruuppa

I hear it's a pain

As long as you do it as a Hollow and take it slow, it's not that bad. If you have good depth perception that is.

Gaz_RB

Alright I'm in New Londo, opened the seal gate thing, and now I walked through fog into this tower. Stairs line the sides. I walked all the way to the bottom, and then it just ends and there is a drop. I tried to leave, but the fog won't let me! Can someone fill me in?

Mistel

Banned
Alright I'm in New Londo, opened the seal gate thing, and now I walked through fog into this tower. Stairs line the sides. I walked all the way to the bottom, and then it just ends and there is a drop. I tried to leave, but the fog won't let me! Can someone fill me in?
You need to drop down there to the boss fight you need covenant of Artorias ring to do so though.

Do you have the ring Covenant of Artorias?

mmm no. Where do I find that?

I remember that guy on the roof talking about it. This isn't part of the DLC is it?

Go to Darkroot Garden and explore. You need to find the grave of Artorias.

If you're stuck in the stairwell, you can jump down and die, homeward bone, or quit game from the menu, when you reload you will be outside the white light door.

Gaz_RB

Go to Darkroot Garden and explore. You need to find the grave of Artorias.

If you're stuck in the stairwell, you can jump down and die, homeward bone, or quit game from the menu, when you reload you will be outside the white light door.

Thanks, used Homeward Bone.

And thanks for the hint and not spoiling its exact location!

Booshka

I can't muster up the motivation to play anymore Dark Souls 1.0 after seeing that the scaling bonus on Great Club is like 70 points lower than current DkS 1. Probably should have just made an elemental Claymore and played that way.

Soul payout on 1.0 is insanely low, 1500 for Gargoyles lol wut. I summoned Solaire and got 750 as Host because of the splitting the souls payout mechanic of 1.0

Gaping Dragon still gives 25K, but man do they really make the early game tough on new players with the terribly low soul payouts for bosses.

Aggro ranges on enemies is fun though, Drained New Londo is a totally different experience, Darkwraiths aggro from everywhere and cluster up to give you the BRAZZERS treatment. They also have stupid poise so I can't stagger them as easy.

Tarkus

After taking a break from O & S for a few days, I still can't beat them. Tried about 20 times by myself, rarely beat the skinny one then fat ass always destroys me. I can avoid all of his attacks but to hit him (melee), I have to get close then I can never get away when he jumps or rams. It's so frustrating.
I summoned Solaire, but he doesn't do much. I even summed Solaire and some co-op help several times and still can't beat them. I had the fat one down to about 20% hp once after everyone had been vanquished and then ran out of estus. I've got to be on try 50. I'm sl66 and almost always getting invaded on my way to the fog door. The invaders usually have ridiculous magic weapons that kill me with one hit or cartwheel all over the place and kill me by firebombing the floor. Ugh, about to give up.

Gaz_RB

After taking a break from O & S for a few days, I still can't beat them. Tried about 20 times by myself, rarely beat the skinny one then fat ass always destroys me. I can avoid all of his attacks but to hit him (melee), I have to get close then I can never get away when he jumps or rams. It's so frustrating.
I summoned Solaire, but he doesn't do much. I even summed Solaire and some co-op help several times and still can't beat them. I had the fat one down to about 20% hp once after everyone had been vanquished and then ran out of estus. I've got to be on try 50. I'm sl66 and almost always getting invaded on my way to the fog door. The invaders usually have ridiculous magic weapons that kill me with one hit or cartwheel all over the place and kill me by firebombing the floor. Ugh, about to give up.

What system? Maybe I could help you. I know I couldn't have done it my first time without help.

Mistel

Banned
Two rolls gets you out of range for Smough's slam attack once he's powered up. What gear are you using/what are your stats?

Tarkus

What system? Maybe I could help you. I know I couldn't have done it my first time without help.
PS3. If I play again tonight, it will be in a few hours. Thanks for the offer though.

Two rolls gets you out of range for Smough's slam attack once he's powered up. What gear are you using/what are your stats?
S. knight helm, elite knight armor +9, Havel's gauntlets, leggings, and ring as well as steel protection ring. Grass shield and bk sword +5.
Vit - 12
End - 26 or 28
Str - 36
Dex - 26
Everything else is baseline and the stats listed are +/- 1. I'm right at the upper limit of the mid roll.

Gaz_RB

PS3. If I play again tonight, it will be in a few hours. Thanks for the offer though.

S. knight helm, elite knight armor +9, Havel's gauntlets, leggings, and ring as well as steel protection ring. Grass shield and bk sword +5.
Vit - 12
End - 26 or 28
Str - 36
Dex - 26
Everything else is baseline and the stats listed are +/- 1. I'm right at the upper limit of the mid roll.

I'm on PC, unfortunately!

As for advice, I'd try wearing some lighter armor. Mobility is key for that fight. Give fast roll a shot, maybe.

Mistel

Banned
Vit - 12
End - 26 or 28
Str - 36
Dex - 26
Your equipment is fine two hand if you aren't and use the pillars to keep them separated. Summon Solarie you and him can take out Ornstein quickly then Smough is the easier second stage after that.

Jamesways

If only the fatty is left, just keep hugging the pillars. Really easy to avoid his attacks that way.

Keep hugging his body! Counter intuitive, but it works. Roll away from the big slam. When he charges/does the ramming attack roll into him/over off to his side.

Got fairly deep into Sen's Fortress (I think) and came to a narrower then usual bridge with those pendulum axes swinging ahead. There was a lizard guy to my left and his shooting lightning bolts at me threw me off and led to my getting fucked by one of the axes. And I was doing so well too :(

Got fairly deep into Sen's Fortress (I think) and came to a narrower then usual bridge with those pendulum axes swinging ahead. There was a lizard guy to my left and his shooting lightning bolts at me threw me off and led to my getting fucked by one of the axes. And I was doing so well too :(

Well, its called sen fortress for something.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I can't muster up the motivation to play anymore Dark Souls 1.0 after seeing that the scaling bonus on Great Club is like 70 points lower than current DkS 1. Probably should have just made an elemental Claymore and played that way.

Soul payout on 1.0 is insanely low, 1500 for Gargoyles lol wut. I summoned Solaire and got 750 as Host because of the splitting the souls payout mechanic of 1.0

Gaping Dragon still gives 25K, but man do they really make the early game tough on new players with the terribly low soul payouts for bosses.

Aggro ranges on enemies is fun though, Drained New Londo is a totally different experience, Darkwraiths aggro from everywhere and cluster up to give you the BRAZZERS treatment. They also have stupid poise so I can't stagger them as easy.
Dark Souls 1.0 was the truest Souls. XD It got nerfed into casualness </GAF hyperbole>

Why are you playing 1.0 anyway?

Booshka

Dark Souls 1.0 was the truest Souls. XD It got nerfed into casualness </GAF hyperbole>

Why are you playing 1.0 anyway?

Cuz its the free version that MS gave Gold members. They are also selling the DLC on the Games with Gold page even though the 1.0 version cant access it.

Typical MS, really well thought out.

Gaz_RB

lol Sen's Fortress turned me into the man I am today.

Good luck.

Althane

So, if it makes you feel better, the same exact thing happened to me. And the best advice I can give is, don't give up. You're so close to the "breather" part of Sen's. Keep at it!

Overdoziz

Banned
Keep hugging his body! Counter intuitive, but it works. Roll away from the big slam. When he charges/does the ramming attack roll into him/over off to his side.
I feel like his wide swing attack is much easier to avoid while hugging pillars. In general doing so is really low risk.

daninthemix

I feel like his wide swing attack is much easier to avoid while hugging pillars. In general doing so is really low risk.

Agreed. Helps if you have a reasonably long weapon though, as you only have a short window to sprint in and attack during his vulnerable moments.

gaming_noob

I restarted the game for the 2nd time, using a Knight. The bosses in this game are way too hard, but good thing Youtube is helping me beat them. I've only gone as far as beating the Bell Demons. I just got Drake's sword.. where do I find the best armor and weapon for a knight?

I restarted the game for the 2nd time, using a Knight. The bosses in this game are way too hard, but good thing Youtube is helping me beat them. I've only gone as far as beating the Bell Demons. I just got Drake's sword.. where do I find the best armor and weapon for a knight?

what armor are you using right now? Elite Knight set is in the asylum on you second visit where you meet Oscar getting hammered by a rock, the black Iron set and the Havel are a little late in the game.

Booshka

You're already wearing it, Knight starter gear is good, the shield is excellent too. Just upgrade them.

Be careful with that Drake sword, don't rely on it for too long. Find a normal weapon and take it to a blacksmith, upgrades are very important in this game.

Ditch the Drake Sword (the Noob Sword), stop looking at guides, they'll do you more harm than good.

There's no best armor for a class, it's all in how you want to play. If you want knighly looking armor that has a good weight/defense ratio, that's the Elite Knight set. Explore Darkroot Garden to find it. As for weapon, you can upgrade a simple longsword and use it for the whole game. The Claymore is a greatsword that is one of the best weapons in the game. The Halberd or Gargoyle Halberd is also fantastic. There are many options, all of which are better than the Drake Sword in the long term.

Booshka

PSA Knight Armor has a better Defense and Poise to Weight ratio than Elite Knight. Elite Knight has slightly higher defenses, but weighs more and has the same poise.

Tarkus

what armor are you using right now? Elite Knight set is in the asylum on you second visit where you meet Oscar getting hammered by a rock, the black Iron set and the Havel are a little late in the game.
The Elite Knight set is in Darkroot Garden at the large area just before Moonlight's tower. It's on a corpse and near several giants. I think you're talking about the Crest Shield.

I'm preparing for my O & S attempt again, using the suggestions on here of going light and two-handing. I think I will try sticking to pillars instead of staying up close. I've really had enough of these fuckers. It sucks that I used all my humanity last night. Now I have to go to the Depths and do some farming. Wish me luck.

Top Bottom