• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

soultron

Banned
I don't know where the heck to go now. Latest things I've done:

- Defeated (late Lost Bastille spoilers) B
elfry Gargoyles (solo, first try, goddamn that was easy) and got the Bastille Key but the only place I've used it is that one a-hole wizards cell for a useless shortcut.
- Defeated (late Gutter spoilers)
The Rot (solo... took way too many tries...) and jumped off a cliff near the first Black Gulch bonfire to face those massive stone golems with massive stones for hands. I managed to take down the first one but then fell down a hole while fighting the second one. Good thing I wore my Ring of Life Protection!

I took a bit of a break before doing the above things and now I feel really lost. I have 3 of the
Great Souls so far (Lost Sinner, Old King, The Rot), if that helps.

Any hints on where I should try to go next?

Tarkus

elfry Gargoyles (solo, first try, goddamn that was easy) and got the Bastille Key but the only place I've used it is that one a-hole wizards cell for a useless shortcut.
The Rot (solo... took way too many tries...) and jumped off a cliff near the first Black Gulch bonfire to face those massive stone golems with massive stones for hands. I managed to take down the first one but then fell down a hole while fighting the second one. Good thing I wore my Ring of Life Protection!

I took a bit of a break before doing the above things and now I feel really lost. I have 3 of the

What???

wrong thread but still you can go to the
huntsman copse now in majula, if you exhaust the dialogue with lycia (the miracle vendor), she will move to majula and unlocks another path for the huntsman area.

You can also go to the shaded woods>
pharros key and then tseldora

soultron

Banned

wrong thread but still you can go to the
huntsman copse now in majula, if you exhaust the dialogue with lycia (the miracle vendor), she will move to majula and unlocks another path for the huntsman area.

You can also go to the shaded woods>
pharros key and then tseldora

Shit, sorry dudes. It's late and I'm not reading things properly. My bad! (Thanks for the tips anyhow!)

Ruuppa

I did not, is it important? :eek:

I did get a sweet axe for chopping off the dragons tail though.

You can get one from the Depths, if you drop down a hole behind the first Butcher you meet, where you found the Large Ember.

The shield blocks Toxic darts, so you can approach a couple of annoying enemies with a lot less stress.

Thrak360

Neo Member
Blighttown has been confusing as hell at times. I've gotten to the bonfire at searched both left and right of the bonfire, but I reach dead ends going both ways unless I'm missing a ladder somewhere.
Haha I somehow overlooked a ladder near the bridge bonfire - 2 or 3 times, searching for a way up. Now the ladder seems so obvious, no idea how I overlooked it.

Anyways, when I was in upper levels of Blighttown I tried to jump to get to a corpse. Failed, and while the corpse is right above me, seems no way to get up there, aside from getting back up top, and attempting the jump again. Lol I love the soapstone hints that say "jump here", I look at the jump and think "is this for real or am I being trolled?"

So that's where I am, trying to work my way back to the top of Blighttown. Not there yet, this area will be hard to navigate easily until I really learn it. Fun exploration, though, and found some corpses with souls and the Shadow Armor set for my troubles.

Speaking of armor, what are some recommended light armor sets? At this point in the game, I'm still using the Pyromancer starting set. It's physical protection is probably just okay, but I've kept it on because it seems to be all purpose - also being decent for magic, elemental, poison protection. But maybe I'd be better off using an armor set with higher physical protection as my primary garb? And then just switch to more specialized armor when the enemy/environment clearly calls for it?

Oh, and I favor armor on the light side, as far as the way I've been playing. I wear Havel's Ring, my burden is something like 18 or 19 out of 90. Aside from Shadow set, the other sets I've collected along the way are Thief, Sorcerer, Warrior.

Oni Jazar

So I'm going through NG+ now. How should I spend my souls? I figure there are dimishing returns on stats so I don't know if I should keep min/maxing my character or broadening other skills or focus on health/stamina?

Mistel

Banned
So I'm going through NG+ now. How should I spend my souls? I figure there are dimishing returns on stats so I don't know if I should keep min/maxing my character or broadening other skills or focus on health/stamina?
Most stats cap out at 40 so that's what you should aim for depending on your set.
Speaking of armor, what are some recommended light armor sets?
If you've got the dlc Ciaran's set is pretty good there's also the crimson set further into blighttown that might interest you or the dingy set you can get later.

Oni Jazar

Most stats cap out at 40 so that's what you should aim for depending on your set.

So once I hit that target should I just spend on other stats? I'm sitting on about 250k souls.

edit: nevermind! Sorry I thought this was the DS2 thread! :) I'm sure it all probably applies here as well.

gaming_noob

I beat the centipede demon amd entered the next area where apparently im not supposed to in order to save solaire. This is incredibly frustrating.

Can I get some help?
So, this has never happened to me before with GFWL, but here we go:

I installed DS and DSFix, and it worked fine. A few days later I couldn't sign in to it, as it was saying my Xbox Live email and password were wrong. Nothing seemed to be wrong, as I could sign into my 360 and the website just fine. I uninstalled the Marketplace client and the redistributable and reinstalled them with fresh ones from the website. That just made the game crash on startup. Verifying cache had the same results, so I reinstalled the game. Now it starts, but GFWL does not work or appear at all. I basically de-GFWLized the game somehow.

Does anybody know how to fix it? Windows 8.1 if it matters.

Edit: Now the game just crashes on startup. Validating it ALWAYS finds one missing file and it tries to reinstall GFWL.
Edit2: Now I am back to no GFWL at all, but the game starts.

Donos

Just finished Sen's Fortress but i didn't encounter Siegmeyer in it. He was not at the place he's supposed to. I talked to him when he was outside the fortress before i ran the second bell, till he said the same stuff over and over. Did i glitched out or did i miss something?

Edit: doesn't seem to be a problem. He will probably be in Andor Londo next.

kris.

Banned
just want everyone to know that last night, after a spending at least 2 months on O&S (i quit playing for a bit after dying so much) my roommate made me show him the game and i told him how hard they were and how often i'd died at them.

I BEAT THEM ON THE FIRST FUCKING TRY

i did an actual victory jump out of my chair

my roommate thinks i was overexaggerating

he'll never understand

Tarkus

Just finished Sen's Fortress but i didn't encounter Siegmeyer in it. He was not at the place he's supposed to. I talked to him when he was outside the fortress before i ran the second bell, till he said the same stuff over and over. Did i glitched out or did i miss something?

Edit: doesn't seem to be a problem. He will probably be in Andor Londo next.
Be careful when you see him, especially if you have a large weapon. Small area + enemies + large weapon + NPC = long trip back to the Church. Enjoy Anor Londo. It's the best area in the game IMO.

Donos

Be careful when you see him, especially if you have a large weapon. Small area + enemies + large weapon + NPC = long trip back to the Church. Enjoy Anor Londo. It's the best area in the game IMO.

Thanks, already learned this the hard way in Demon's Souls when i hit an npc in an dark area, who sold important upgrade material. No church to reset him back then.

Seems like i'm playing this game through with the Claymore (+10) like in DeS.
Has just a good moveset and enough damage, even one handed. I think i will push it to +15. Together with the full Eastern Armor set and a Balder Shield +7 my character (lvl 56) seems fit for most threats.
Maybe i'm going to try other weapons in NG+. Read that the Zweihänder is good for STR build but it's a tad to slow for me.
Thinking about upgradeing the Man-serpent Greatsword to Lighting/Fire as secondary weapon for special enemies.

Mistel

Banned
Thinking about upgradeing the Man-serpent Greatsword to Lighting/Fire as secondary weapon for special enemies.
If you do so you will loose it's rather good A strength scaling. You could just use bastard swords instead as you can buy those.

AlexBasch

You dont need it, if they hit you its your fault for letting them that close.

Going wolf ring free?
Haha, just started it, I'm trying to get used to the casting time of the Soul Arrow. Sometimes I get it right but others I get stabbed while the staff is up. Specially with the Balder Knights.

It's interesting, but for the meantime, I just got the halberd and went with something I already know how to use. :p

Haha, just started it, I'm trying to get used to the casting time of the Soul Arrow. Sometimes I get it right but others I get stabbed while the staff is up. Specially with the Balder Knights.

It's interesting, but for the meantime, I just got the halberd and went with something I already know how to use. :p

The sorcerer is weak and very fragile in early game, you can try to go to New Londo ruins
Lowering the stairs to the left of the npc in the firelink shrine and use the elevator then go to your right and go for the stairs, you will find a npc who seels more spells
for more soul arrows and yes, you have to have to get used to the casting time and beware of your surroundings.

AlexBasch

The sorcerer is weak and very fragile in early game, you can try to go to New Londo ruins
Lowering the stairs to the left of the npc in the firelink shrine and use the elevator then go to your right and go for the stairs, you will find a npc who seels more spells
for more soul arrows and yes, you have to have to get used to the casting time and beware of your surroundings.
I already finished the game once as a regular pure DEX Knight, but thank you, I completely forgot about where to buy those before that guy from Sen's Funhouse. :D

I'm getting better. Bell Gargoyles are kinda tame when I can beam them from afar while they're spitting flames.

EDIT: Oh yeah, about Dark Souls PC. How is the GFWL working at the moment? I wanted to triple dip but I'm kinda wary about that version.

So I beat Ornstein and Smough the first time through after being stuck for a week only by summoning a random guy and Solaire at the same time. I'm in NG+ and I'm level 107 and I CAN NOT beat the second phase of this fight. I'm a strength and endurance tank. Fully upgraded black iron armor, +15 battle axe and +4 greatshield of Artorias. I can get through the first part no problem since I can block all their attacks. But the unblockable lightning damage is murdering me. Any tips on how to handle this melee style?

There are never any summon signs by that bonfire any more, and when they do rarely appear, I always get "Summoning Failed".

Booshka

So I beat Ornstein and Smough the first time through after being stuck for a week only by summoning a random guy and Solaire at the same time. I'm in NG+ and I'm level 107 and I CAN NOT beat the second phase of this fight. I'm a strength and endurance tank. Fully upgraded black iron armor, +15 battle axe and +4 greatshield of Artorias. I can get through the first part no problem since I can block all their attacks. But the unblockable lightning damage is murdering me. Any tips on how to handle this melee style?

There are never any summon signs by that bonfire any more, and when they do rarely appear, I always get "Summoning Failed".

Go lighter and use a shield with higher lightning resist. Also, if you are big ol' STR tank, why are you using such a small weapon. Battle Axe is awesome and all, but it doesn't really hit hard enough to warrant being used on a tanky build.

Go lighter and use a shield with higher lightning resist. Also, if you are big ol' STR tank, why are you using such a small weapon. Battle Axe is awesome and all, but it doesn't really hit hard enough to warrant being used on a tanky build.

Recommendation for a lightning resist shield?

I have been upgrading that battleaxe because it scales with strength well and I have yet to find something better. I don't want to use a greataxe because they're so damn slow. My battleaxe hits hard and quick. But I am still pretty new at this game so I wil listen to any advice.

Mistel

Banned
Recommendation for a lightning resist shield?

I have been upgrading that battleaxe because it scales with strength well and I have yet to find something better. I don't want to use a greataxe because they're so damn slow. My battleaxe hits hard and quick. But I am still pretty new at this game so I wil listen to any advice.
You've not got a man serpent greatsword or a butcher's knife? They're two decent strength weapons. However I would suggest you practice with the great axes, great hammers, and ultra greatswords to open yourself up to a wider variety of strength weapons.

As for sheilds the eagle shield is a greatsheild with higher lightnig resistance if you've got an aversion to havel's. If you've got neither the giants shield is an acceptable substitute with 75 lightning resistance.

One quick question - I've beaten Quelaag in the Blighttown, and I've rung the bell. And I tried to fight Ceaseless Discharge for... at least 5-6 times after that, and I just kept dying. So, could anyone tell me should I be fighting him as soon as I ring that second bell, or should I come back later? I'll try to figure out tactics for that fight on my own, even though I've had no success on my first 5-6-7 tries >.>

For now, I've returned to Firelink Shrine, and now I'm off to the Sen's Fortress. I've explored it a bit and it seems amazing so far!

Mistel

Banned
One quick question - I've beaten Quelaag in the Blighttown, and I've rung the bell. And I tried to fight Ceaseless Discharge for... at least 5-6 times after that, and I just kept dying. So, could anyone tell me should I be fighting him as soon as I ring that second bell, or should I come back later? I'll try to figure out tactics for that fight on my own, even though I've had no success on my first 5-6-7 tries >.>

For now, I've returned to Firelink Shrine, and now I'm off to the Sen's Fortress. I've explored it a bit and it seems amazing so far!
Ceasless can be done pre or post lordvessel if you'd like to do so defeating him after ringing the second bell you can but it's not required.

What you wanted artwork wise?:
photo.jpg

You don't need to fight him right after Quelaag unless you want the Chaos Flame Ember. Demon Ruins is one of the late areas to go.

Anyway, if you really want to fight him, you can stay behind the rocks (near the place where you found the Gold Hemmed Black Set) and wait for his slam attacks. Then, attack his arm while dual wielding your weapon.

Also, there's a cheap wait to defeat him. Make him follow you to the fog door. When you reach the fog door, he will make a slam attack. Just attack his arm and after a few hits, he will fall into the pit.

Ceasless can be done pre or post lordvessel if you'd like to do so defeating him after ringing the second bell you can but it's not required.

What you wanted artwork wise?:
Yep, that's the one, thanks!
You don't need to fight him right after Quelaag unless you want the Chaos Flame Ember. Demon Ruins is one of the late areas to go.

Anyway, if you really want to fight him, you can stay behind the rocks (near the place where you found the Gold Hemmed Black Set) and wait for his slam attacks. Then, attack his arm while dual wielding your weapon.

Also, there's a cheap wait to defeat him. Make him follow you to the fog door. When you reach the fog door, he will make a slam attack. Just attack his arm and after a few hits, he will fall into the pit.
Oh, I figured that, but he annoyed me when his attacks went through those rocks, while eating up more than half of my health :/ Don't wanna cheese my way out of it, but thanks for that tactic too.

Tactics18

Is it weird that I'm cruising through NG+?
I just aced O&S solo and it only took me like 2 hours to get to that point.
Seriously it doesn't feel much harder than NG.

Levyne

Banned

Ace-ing O&S is a feat regardless, but the game going much quicker generally happens. No longer having to search nooks and crannies and you know where the enemies are. I still surprised myself how fast NG+ went on DS2.

Oh, I figured that, but he annoyed me when his attacks went through those rocks, while eating up more than half of my health :/ Don't wanna cheese my way out of it, but thanks for that tactic too.
That second way isn't really cheesing since it's a scripted event, totally legit. But it's not as gratifying as killing him "legit" I guess!

Donos

Anyone want to tell me what to do after defeating the Queelag spider? I really really don't to go all the way back through Blighttown :/

I went to Sen's Fortress and now in Anor Londo because i read that Demon Ruins are something to tackle later. There is a shortcut from blighttown to valley of drakes to firelink shrine. There is a key way up on blighttown (wood elevator is bringing you up).

Tarkus

Anyone want to tell me what to do after defeating the Queelag spider? I really really don't to go all the way back through Blighttown :/
Go back through the corridor that connects Quelaag's Domain with Blighttown. Run back to the lower bonfire and sit. Take a right out of the bonfire area and go toward the waterwheel-like structure. Eventually, you'll find the way out that Donos was talking about.

Mogwai

It's the level of your gear that is much better compared to the difficulty increase from NG+. That's why people feel like 'cruising' through the game on the next difficulty. Also, there's the element of knowing the game. You have learned the in and outs of the mechanics.

Wooo rung the second bell.

That boss fight was a pain. Probably second hardest so far behind the Gargoyles (which I had to use a summon on).

Anyway,
back at Firelink Shrine and that bastard killed the lady and now the bonfire is out?! Guess it's not too much of an issue considering there's one right outside that castle/fort thing that opened up.

Top Bottom