• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Tarkus

Wooo rung the second bell.

That boss fight was a pain. Probably second hardest so far behind the Gargoyles (which I had to use a summon on).

Anyway,
back at Firelink Shrine and that bastard killed the lady and now the bonfire is out?! Guess it's not too much of an issue considering there's one right outside that castle/fort thing that opened up.
Enjoy Sen's Funhouse. Take your time to do some exploring there. It's painful but worth it.

Thrak360

Neo Member
Finally made it to the Blighttown swamp. I feel I cleaned out most of the upper platforms. Only died once when human error led me to fall to my death. Now I'm really stockpiling the shards. Should I bother with Great Hollow yet? I've cleared that end of the swamp. Have yet to go the other direction (from the bonfire) and deal with those guys with the big rocks. lol, I did check out the big elevator. Rode it all the way up, kept trying to move the camera around to figure which direction to get off, missed the exit, jumped, fell, died. Oops.

Tarkus

Finally made it to the Blighttown swamp. I feel I cleaned out most of the upper platforms. Only died once when human error led me to fall to my death. Now I'm really stockpiling the shards. Should I bother with Great Hollow yet? I've cleared that end of the swamp. Have yet to go the other direction (from the bonfire) and deal with those guys with the big rocks. lol, I did check out the big elevator. Rode it all the way up, kept trying to move the camera around to figure which direction to get off, missed the exit, jumped, fell, died. Oops.
If you want. Beware of fall, curse, and bitch slap.

The Great Hollow (and beyond) isn't worth fully exploring until after you've done Anor Londo. Unless you don't mind backtracking all the way back up. Loot it for stuff and homebone out though.

Tarkus

Never go exploring or New Londo farming without at least 10 Homeward Bones. Buy as many from Oswald or the sewer merchant as you can.

Donos

Did the Great Hollow and Ash Lake right before going to Blighttown boss. I think i only missed one item in the hollow where i didn't know how to get there. And Fuck (great hollow spoilers)
the Hydra and Basilisks. Ash Lake gave me Evangelion vibes though

Never go exploring or New Londo farming without at least 10 Homeward Bones. Buy as many from Oswald or the sewer merchant as you can.

Gave up on new londo after i used up all of my 7 transient curses. I have a ghost sword to hurt them but that tiny thing doesn't has the range of my lovely Claymore +9. These damn ghosts are pervy gangbangers. Going to try it again after Anor Londo.

Help! I have no idea where to go now. I think I cleared everything that is to clear in Sen's Fortress (4 Titanite Demons and that Iron Golem + I freed Logan), I got to Anor Londo, killed those 6 big guards, killed that gargoyle downstairs, and I found that big-ass yellow fog door.

I was thinking that I should maybe go to the Tomb of Giants now (or even Demon Ruins), but it'd be great if someone could give me a hint what I need to do/where to go to unlock yellow fog door in Anor Londo.

(Ninja edit: just got Dark Souls 2 from the Steam Sale, looking forward to it! And man, that dude in the linked video is crazy! I'll never be that good :/)

(Edit no.2: I also checked New Londo Ruins, and I cleared what I found there (one fog door that leads to that house with the guy in the red robes on its roof), and I had no idea where to go next from there. Did I miss something obvious?)

Help! I have no idea where to go now. I think I cleared everything that is to clear in Sen's Fortress (4 Titanite Demons and that Iron Golem + I freed Logan), I got to Anor Londo, killed those 6 big guards, killed that gargoyle downstairs, and I found that big-ass yellow fog door.

I was thinking that I should maybe go to the Tomb of Giants now (or even Demon Ruins), but it'd be great if someone could give me a hint what I need to do/where to go to unlock yellow fog door in Anor Londo.

(Ninja edit: just got Dark Souls 2 from the Steam Sale, looking forward to it! And man, that dude in the linked video is crazy! I'll never be that good :/)

(Edit no.2: I also checked New Londo Ruins, and I cleared what I found there (one fog door that leads to that house with the guy in the red robes on its roof), and I had no idea where to go next from there. Did I miss something obvious?)

You have to plead audience to Gwynivere in Anor Londo but first you have to talk with Onstein and Smoug.

The Great Hollow (and beyond) isn't worth fully exploring until after you've done Anor Londo. Unless you don't mind backtracking all the way back up. Loot it for stuff and homebone out though.

Hidden covenant and sword not worth it?

Tarkus

Gave up on new londo after i used up all of my 7 transient curses. I have a ghost sword to hurt them but that tiny thing doesn't has the range of my lovely Claymore +9. These damn ghosts are pervy gangbangers. Going to try it again after Anor Londo.
The good stuff in New Londo comes after Anor Londo. If you like PvP, then choose wisely after Anor Londo. I love PvP and made a major mistake after Anor Londo.

Orange fog doors are restricted until you conquer your toughest fight yet. Same with New Londo's good stuff.
In Anor Londo, go back to the bridge where you fought the gargoyle. Notice the large building on your left if you are facing where the gargoyle would be. Look around for a way in that's unconventional.

Thanks everyone, I'll go back to Anor Londo (every place that isn't that damn dark Tomb of Giants is a good place :D), and look for a new path from that bridge.

Thrak360

Neo Member
I think I'll skip Great Hollow for now. Fell enough in Blighttown, that I didn't like the look of it Hollow my brief glimpse. And not sure I want to worry about falling and curses at the same time lol. No immediate need for dragon scales either. I'll just start working my way past the wooden elevator in my next play session. Thanks all.

I think I'll skip Great Hollow for now. Fell enough in Blighttown, that I didn't like the look of it Hollow my brief glimpse. And not sure I want to worry about falling and curses at the same time lol. No immediate need for dragon scales either. I'll just start working my way past the wooden elevator in my next play session. Thanks all.

Oh well, thats sad, kinda killing the jolly exploration of that area.

Donos

Oh fuck, these Archers in Anor Londo are all Black Knights? oO
Well this part is going to be fun -_-

Edit: ok, silver knights. Still fucked up :)

Tarkus

Get a great shield or a medium with high stability. Yeah, they're really fun :p I think they're a bit more dangerous than black knights because they are way more aggressive and can dead angle you really well. Have fun.

Donos

Get a great shield or a medium with high stability. Yeah, they're really fun :p I think they're a bit more dangerous than black knights because they are way more aggressive and can dead angle you really well. Have fun.

In normal enviroment, Black Knights are no problem anymore but on these tiny ledges? Shooting spears like they are Arrows?

Edit: Typical Souls moment ... just got past them ... make accidental backstep and fall to death ;_;

knitoe

Poison arrows.

Back in the days, they were a pain in the ass playing the game at launched on the X360. Now, playing again on the PC, I just poisoned them, wait for them to die and proceed onward.

Donos

Poison arrows.

Back in the days, they were a pain in the ass playing the game at launched on X360. Now, playing on the PC, just poison them, wait for them to die and proceed onward.

Read that but i have like 9 arrows left and i yet have to find the giant merchant.

Made it to the bonfire. PRAISE THE SUN ;) . Like i thought, in normal combat these silver dudes have to kneel before my Claymore. Still like how they fight.
Now i'm going back to exploring without help. Thanks guys

knitoe

Read that but i have like 9 arrows left and i yet have to find the giant merchant.

Made it to the bonfire. PRAISE THE SUN ;)

You buy poison arrows from the undead female merchant in the aqueduct of Undead Burg. You probably remember her selling mosses.

Tarkus

Say hello to great arrows.

Sword and spear are not that hard to kill they leave themselves open a lot of the time.
The sliced me to shreds my first time going through. I only had 12 vitality. Still do if I miss the parry. Now I know their movements so well that I just two hand a weapon and run from bonfire to bonfire rolling behind and backstabbing all of them. That's my favorite farming circuit and co op area.

Donos

You buy poison arrows from the undead female merchant in the aqueduct of Undead Burg. You probably remember her selling mosses.

I know that but that is a litte far away from Londo atm :). Had around 300 normal arrows and 30 poison arrows but "lost" them all in this painting world.

Well, i better kindle that bonfire ... ahh, forgott that you can get invaded in human form. Got another nice teleport backstab ;_;.

Mistel

Banned
The sliced me to shreds my first time going through. I only had 12 vitality. Still do if I miss the parry. Now I know their movements so well that I just two hand a weapon and run from bonfire to bonfire rolling behind and backstabbing all of them. That's my favorite farming circuit and co op area.
Can you do that with the black knights though? I mean if they are more aggressive then surely it should be harder theoretically speaking.

Tarkus

Can you do that with the black knights though? I mean if they are more aggressive then surely it should be harder theoretically speaking.
Yeah it is a little easier due to their slow strong attacks. They don't have spears that cheap shot you with dead angles or whatever you call it when you're hit for full damage with your shield up while circling behind them.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
The black knights likely used to be silver knights before they were baptized by both demon's fire and the kiln of the first flame.

Sullichin

Any reason to hold off on the Painted world?

You will be stuck there if you aggro the boss and are unable to defeat it. However, you can complete it without aggroing her in the first place. It's about the same difficulty as Anor Londo and there's some good loot. No real reason to hold off.

Overdoziz

Banned
You will be stuck there if you aggro the boss and are unable to defeat it. However, you can complete it without aggroing her in the first place. It's about the same difficulty as Anor Londo and there's some good loot. No real reason to hold off.
Same difficulty as Anor Londo? I found both the regular enemies and the boss(es) a lot easier in Painted World.

Levyne

Banned
The only boss whose tail was a real challenge was the DLC boss. Urgh. Didn't plan to use it and I don't think it even tied to the achievement, but I had to have it anyway.

Tarkus

I finally decided that I was ready for NG+ and faced Gwyn. He was tough. Probably the 2nd toughest for me behind O & S. After about 12 tries, I parried him twice and barely killed before almost dying myself with just an inkling of life left. I have no clue what that ending was about. I'll have to look that up to keep spoilers from flying on here.

So starting NG+, I'm going to stay human and I want to skip as many bosses as I can to leave open PvP areas (I'm not a darkwraith). If I'm thinking correctly, with the master key,
I can skip Taurus, Capra, Gaping, and Moonlight right?
Unfortunately, I probably won't have enough time to join the Darkwraiths or start DS2 before grad school starts :( I have to finish Demon's as well.

PranooY

Doubt:
If you beat Artorias in the DLC and had bought Artorias armour from Domnhall of Zena, before encountering Great Sif, Would the Sif Boss battle work out differently?
I saw one video in which this is briefly mentioned.
What happens if you do the above?

Top Bottom