• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Ruuppa

Doubt:
If you beat Artorias in the DLC and had bought Artorias armour from Domnhall of Zena, before encountering Great Sif, Would the Sif Boss battle work out differently?
I saw one video in which this is briefly mentioned.
What happens if you do the above?

If you finish Manus in the DLC and have freed Sif before that, the pre-battle cutscene with Sif is different. No need to have Artorias' armor. I'm not sure whether or not you need to summon Sif for Manus though.

butman

A little guidance here please, i just want to know if i'm doing right:

After ringing the first bell, i went down (i killed the demon of aries, then i went to the catacombs and killed the big mouth dragon, then i went to the infested city, and finally i went out and ended to the dragon valley (and the shortcut to the new londo ruins) i suppose that the path to new londo is for get a shortcut to the first bonfire, i don't think that i must go tho the new londo ruins yet, i must continue to the valley of dragon path?

I'm just at the "dead" dragon were the astoria sword and dragon shield are. Idon't know if i must to keep going to ring the second bell or if the bell is back to the infested city near the deep down area where you can see some mobs holding big rocks.

Thanks!

Mistel

Banned
A little guidance here please, i just want to know if i'm doing right:

After ringing the first bell, i went down (i killed the demon of aries, then i went to the catacombs and killed the big mouth dragon, then i went to the infested city, and finally i went out and ended to the dragon valley (and the shortcut to the new londo ruins) i suppose that the path to new londo is for get a shortcut to the first bonfire, i don't think that i must go tho the new londo ruins yet, i must continue to the valley of dragon path?

I'm just at the "dead" dragon were the astoria sword and dragon shield are. Idon't know if i must to keep going to ring the second bell or if the bell is back to the infested city near the deep down area where you can see some mobs holding big rocks.

Thanks!
It is in the bottom of the swamp in blighttown where you must go next. New londo doesn't or tomb of the giants don't need to be done at your stage.

Priscilla ain't no thang. Those toxic zombies were garbage though. I would be in the perfect position for a BS but it wouldn't register as such, so I ended up dying a few times :|

Also, I couldn't stop dumping points into STR... I'm now at the soft cap.

Asd202

Doubt:
If you beat Artorias in the DLC and had bought Artorias armour from Domnhall of Zena, before encountering Great Sif, Would the Sif Boss battle work out differently?
I saw one video in which this is briefly mentioned.
What happens if you do the above?

Don't do it!
You won't be able to kill Sif because of the feels :(

Thrak360

Neo Member
Got to play a little last night which turned into 3 deaths in Quelaag's Domain (only two to the boss, oops).

Just a pretty basic question regarding my future strategy, both attempts I got Quelaag to half health. Avoiding the lava pools and the area effect attack my downfall. I tried the battle once with Gold Pine Resin, which was beneficial. But I only had one batch in my inventory and I really shouldn't have used it on my first boss attempt. I have a few doses of poison resin available, but is it worth using? I tried to answer the question with a Wiki guide, but it lists things like poison or bleed resistance with an "A" "B" "C" "D" "E" or "S" and I don't know what those letters mean. What means an enemy is highly resistant and what means highly susceptible?

Oh, and the dudes with the boulders are supposed to respawn? First time I went through I killed them all, they all kind of dissolved away into white light like a boss, miniboss, or the blowdart guys. I assumed then they would not respawn, but they actually do?

Tarkus

Got to play a little last night which turned into 3 deaths in Quelaag's Domain (only two to the boss, oops).

Just a pretty basic question regarding my future strategy, both attempts I got Quelaag to half health. Avoiding the lava pools and the area effect attack my downfall. I tried the battle once with Gold Pine Resin, which was beneficial. But I only had one batch in my inventory and I really shouldn't have used it on my first boss attempt. I have a few doses of poison resin available, but is it worth using? I tried to answer the question with a Wiki guide, but it lists things like poison or bleed resistance with an "A" "B" "C" "D" "E" or "S" and I don't know what those letters mean. What means an enemy is highly resistant and what means highly susceptible?

Oh, and the dudes with the boulders are supposed to respawn? First time I went through I killed them all, they all kind of dissolved away into white light like a boss, miniboss, or the blowdart guys. I assumed then they would not respawn, but they actually do?
If those letters are similar to stat scaling, then the descending order of magnitude is S, A, B, C, D, and E. I didn't know resistances were designated with these letters. For Quelaag, equip fire resistant armor and shield. Don't get trapped in a corner. IIRC she telegraphs her moves fairly well. Run behind and hack away then get out. Rinse and repeat. The key is mobility. I think you can summon an NPC outside the door if you need help.
The boulder guys respawn. If you head straight from the bonfire and cross the swamp, you only have to face two of them. This would lead to Quelaag's Domain from the left. You might can go right from the bonfire room and keep to the walls and skip them all, but you're going to get poisoned.

Mistel

Banned
If those letters are similar to stat scaling, then the descending order of magnitude is S, A, B, C, D, and E. I didn't know resistances were designated with these letters.
Yeah wikia likes to do it that way that's the only place I've seen do it.

Thrak360

Neo Member
If those letters are similar to stat scaling, then the descending order of magnitude is S, A, B, C, D, and E. I didn't know resistances were designated with these letters. For Quelaag, equip fire resistant armor and shield. Don't get trapped in a corner. IIRC she telegraphs her moves fairly well. Run behind and hack away then get out. Rinse and repeat. The key is mobility. I think you can summon an NPC outside the door if you need help.
The boulder guys respawn. If you head straight from the bonfire and cross the swamp, you only have to face two of them. This would lead to Quelaag's Domain from the left. You might can go right from the bonfire room and keep to the walls and skip them all, but you're going to get poisoned.
Thanks. Yeah I know with weapon scaling, I am better off with an S, A, B, etc. Just wasn't sure what perspective to look at it for enemy resistance. So if Quelaag is listed as "S" poison resistance, then I should not bother with poison resin? That seems the way I would interpret it.

That definitely seems to be true. If I go right and hug right from the bonfire, seems impossible to get to the webbed hill without being poisoned. I've been going that way because i've had plenty of purple moss. First time I crossed the swamp and just killed all 5 of the guys. After that I just wanted the quickest way to get back to the boss.

Tarkus

Thanks. Yeah I know with weapon scaling, I am better off with an S, A, B, etc. Just wasn't sure what perspective to look at it for enemy resistance. So if Quelaag is listed as "S" poison resistance, then I should not bother with poison resin? That seems the way I would interpret it.

That definitely seems to be true. If I go right and hug right from the bonfire, seems impossible to get to the webbed hill without being poisoned. I've been going that way because i've had plenty of purple moss. First time I crossed the swamp and just killed all 5 of the guys. After that I just wanted the quickest way to get back to the boss.
If you have the rusted ring, you can avoid being poisoned by going straight from the bonfire. Stop at the dirt around the columns (don't remember how many) to refill poison meter. You can fight the two boulder guys one at a time. Then hug the left wall to Quelaag's without being poisoned.

I think you are interpreting it correctly. I didn't even know it was possible to poison a boss.

Thrak360

Neo Member
If you have the rusted ring, you can avoid being poisoned by going straight from the bonfire. Stop at the dirt around the columns (don't remember how many) to refill poison meter. You can fight the two boulder guys one at a time. Then hug the left wall to Quelaag's without being poisoned.

I think you are interpreting it correctly. I didn't even know it was possible to poison a boss.
Well I looked up all the bosses I have beaten so far, and they were all "S" or "A" poison resistance. So probably very or totally ineffective to poison a boss, so I think you're right on.

Yep I have the Rusted Ring. I meant to comment that previously, that heading right from the bonfire is certain poison status, even with that ring.

EDIT: And I looked up some skeletons and ghosts I have encountered, logically they cannot be poisoned and they have "S" resistance as well.

Mistel

Banned
Well I looked up all the bosses I have beaten so far, and they were all "S" or "A" poison resistance. So probably very or totally ineffective to poison a boss, so I think you're right on.
Not all bosses are immune to poison so it's not that ineffective if you get one that isn't completely immune to it. Unlike Quelaag who is immune to poison.

butman

It is in the bottom of the swamp in blighttown where you must go next. New londo doesn't or tomb of the giants don't need to be done at your stage.

I'm at the bottom of blighttown and walked it almost entirely (killed somes slugs and pick somes souls poisoning myself) except the spiked place that you can see at the horizon where lies somes big guys at the holding a rock! They seem to powerful to me for thinking that the path to the bell is on that way... Or it is?

Tarkus

I'm at the bottom of blighttown and walked it almost entirely (killed somes slugs and pick somes souls poisoning myself) except the spiked place that you can see at the horizon where lies somes big guys at the holding a rock! They seem to powerful to me for thinking that the path to the bell is on that way... Or it is?
Unfortunately, that's the way.

Hugstable

Banned

Just book it haha.

Today I finally reached a point where I've been progressing rather slowly.

Those 2 damn Heavy Archers in Anor Londo... they are straight up dicks. I figure now that I got the soul from the corpse where the left archer is, I can focus on the right now everytime since the left archers arrows don't reach me when I head more towards the right archer. But god damn I keep falling everytime. I'm thinking of trying Iron Flesh which I just bought and hope that lessens the knockback on those arrows.
I think I died like 20 times today or so now.

Had been busy with work the past few days, but I finally had a big Dark Souls sesh.

Instead of venturing into Sen's Fortress, I took a detour and explored Darkroot Gardens/Basin.

I found the Grass Crest Shield, managed to kill the Hydra easily enough, but from up the ladder one path led me to panther-porcupines which destroyed me (I killed one, but then the other two wrecked my shit), and the other led me to a bunch of shadow-men which destroyed me, so I explored the gardens instead and found the Wolf Ring, then killed the butterfly boss and got the key and killed Havel and got his ring too.
So thanks to both those rings I've now got 68 poise and I think my equipment is starting to take shape into something decent.
Right now I'm gonna grind up the last 5000 souls I need to buy the crest off the blacksmith.

Currently using:
Longsword +8
Longbow
Grass Crest Shield
Knight Helm
Knight Armor
Tattered Cloth Manchette
Shadow Leggings
Havel's Ring
Wolf Ring

SL37
Vit 17
End 30
Str 21
Dex 14

Haven't touched any other stats. Currently upping my strength.

Had been busy with work the past few days, but I finally had a big Dark Souls sesh.

Instead of venturing into Sen's Fortress, I took a detour and explored Darkroot Gardens/Basin.

I found the Grass Crest Shield, managed to kill the Hydra easily enough, but from up the ladder one path led me to panther-porcupines which destroyed me (I killed one, but then the other two wrecked my shit), and the other led me to a bunch of shadow-men which destroyed me, so I explored the gardens instead and found the Wolf Ring, then killed the butterfly boss and got the key and killed Havel and got his ring too.
So thanks to both those rings I've now got 68 poise and I think my equipment is starting to take shape into something decent.
Right now I'm gonna grind up the last 5000 souls I need to buy the crest off the blacksmith.

Currently using:
Longsword +8
Longbow
Grass Crest Shield
Knight Helm
Knight Armor
Tattered Cloth Manchette
Shadow Leggings
Havel's Ring
Wolf Ring

SL37
Vit 17
End 30
Str 21
Dex 14

After you kill the hydra there is a small path to the left go that way and you fill find a golden golem, kill it and you unlock a npc for later use and place the dlc for later use. there is also a ladder near of the waterfall that leds to the garden and a special area where you can find black cats

Currently using:
Longsword +8
Longbow
Grass Crest Shield
Knight Helm
Knight Armor
Tattered Cloth Manchette
Shadow Leggings
Havel's Ring
Wolf Ring

SL37
Vit 17
End 30
Str 21
Dex 14

I'm almost certain you don't need the crest if you've already beaten the Moonlight Butterfly. I believe it was just a shortcut

PranooY

Yea, Crest is useful since it is gives an easy shortcut from the bonfire to the next boss. The area is filled with Hunters who are quite strong and will gang up to wreck you. So instead of starting from Dark root Basin, you can start from dark root Garden bonfire, which is nearer to the next boss who gives you
abyss ring

After you kill the hydra there is a small path to the left go that way and you fill find a golden golem, kill it and you unlock a npc for later use and place the dlc for later use. there is also a ladder near of the waterfall that leds to the garden and a special area where you can find black cats

Hmm, in that cave? I didn't see anything in there, do I need to have bought the DLC?

I'm almost certain you don't need the crest if you've already beaten the Moonlight Butterfly. I believe it was just a shortcut
Well, I've bought it now anyway :p

Yea, Crest is useful since it is gives an easy shortcut from the bonfire to the next boss. The area is filled with Hunters who are quite strong and will gang up to wreck you. So instead of starting from Dark root Basin, you can start from dark root Garden bonfire, which is nearer to the next boss who gives you
abyss ring

Well guess buying it wasn't a waste!

Anyway, I went back to those cats and killed them, and I found the boss (who killed me). Explored the area and
joined the Forest Hunter covenant.
So I guess with the crest and the covenant I can get back to the boss safely in like 30 seconds :eek:

Edit: Alright Sif is too hard for me, gonna do Sen's Fortress now and come back to him later.

abyss ring

Wow, I was under the impression it was a shortcut to
Moonlight Butterfly
. Good thing I'm heading back that way.

Well, I've bought it now anyway :p

Well guess buying it wasn't a waste!

:p

Mistel

Banned
You can run rings around those infested barbarians if you've got the rusted ring.
Hmm, in that cave? I didn't see anything in there, do I need to have bought the DLC?
No you don't as far as I'm aware.

PranooY

Edit: Alright Sif is too hard for me, gonna do Sen's Fortress now and come back to him later.

Stick under him. All actions (Healing/attack) should be done under him. When he jumps back run under him. Block his normal slash attack with a good shield. Roll away from the circular slash.
If u don't have a good shield or want a mage approach, then run to Artorias's tomb and keep firing whenever he staggers after his attack hits the tomb.

PranooY

Those 2 damn Heavy Archers in Anor Londo... they are straight up dicks. I figure now that I got the soul from the corpse where the left archer is, I can focus on the right now everytime since the left archers arrows don't reach me when I head more towards the right archer. But god damn I keep falling everytime. I'm thinking of trying Iron Flesh which I just bought and hope that lessens the knockback on those arrows.

Yea, even i died about 10 times on my NG+ run yesterday.

Trick (Not really a trick):
Have a high stability shield. Roll when you see the arrow coming. When you cant roll, hold the shield and move forward. And when u reach the ledge the right guy is standing, roll towards him (coz arrow coming from left). Then he will switch to Sword and chase you. Now turn you back towards him and hold shield towards the left guy and go to the left guy (Just till half way). The Right guy will swing and fall down.
Now walk backwards with the shield up, hugging the wall. On reaching the position where the right guy was, the left guys arrow can no longer reach you. Now lower you shield and go ahead. Bonfire on the left room down the ledge!!!!!

P.S: I dont think Iron Flesh would do you any good, since it restricts your movement a lot. It maybe useful at the wall when u come close to arrows of both, but u wont get time to use it.

Tarkus

Yea, even i died about 10 times on my NG+ run yesterday.
I was in the same boat last night. I've been trying out different classes of weapons for ng+ and have had change up everything. The enemies damage way more and have loads of HP. I can't believe the difficulty gap is that large from ng!

PranooY

I was in the same boat last night. I've been trying out different classes of weapons for ng+ and have had change up everything. The enemies damage way more and have loads of HP. I can't believe the difficulty gap is that large from ng!
Yep. This high HP was pissing me off in NG+ Ornestein and Smough boss fight, mainly since I'm a melee/katana character and my armour is kinda weak to lighting too. As soon as one gets killed and i try to get to the powered version of the other, he jumps and does the lighting area attack. That, the one hit kill and my low patience was really getting on my nerves. Finally killed both after upgrading my crossbow.

Most other bosses were easy for me in the NG+ run though.

Played a small bit last weekend and wrapped up the Demon Ruins. The boss was different ( gameplay wise) but rewarding non the less. Two more to go before I can tackle the DLC, Giants Tomb and Dukes Archive.

Iron Flesh will just slow you down, it's better to go faster than slower. Drop equip load to 25% and hoof it up. The very last pillar blocks the archer on the left, so you can use that brief respite to time your run towards the one on the right. Roll through the arrow and get right in his face. Then either 1) parry and riposte 2) Shield bash him off (with a great shield) or 3) simply block and wait for him to push back and fall off.

Ruuppa

The "required" level to beat the first run is around 60-70 without counting your gear upgrades

Extremely flexible though; I was SL 150-ish on my very first character when I finished the final boss. I was actually accosted by one of my friends as being super-low level when I told him I usually hit Artorias at SL 60.

Ruuppa

Is Crystal Magic Weapon worth the INT investment? I've never used magic or upgraded INT.

If you are a mage. It's not worth investing Int just for that spell, you're better off using Resins. You can buy infinite Charcoal Pine Resins from the moss-merchant, although it only lasts 30 seconds.

butman

Unfortunately, that's the way.

Damn this part is hard as hell. Finally i reached to my first encounter with the spider Boss at the end of blighttown and my damage to her is nothing, her first attacks were under control, but when she did the full fire breath it killed me in a instant, and fuck! i appeared again at the undead burg bonfire, it's sooo looong the way back :(

Any bonfire at the middle? The two of them are too fire away, the one at the undead burg and the other is almost in the beginning of the blighttown.

Any advice at this moment?

Mistel

Banned
Any bonfire at the middle? The two of them are too fire away, the one at the undead burg and the other is almost in the beginning of the blighttown.

Any advice at this moment?
There's a bonfire right near quelaag's domain in blightown. You're not using the firelink one?

butman

There's a bonfire right near quelaag's domain in blightown. You're not using the firelink one?

That's the one i meant it when i said the undead burg bonfire, is the firelink one (the first one when you arrive with the crow) but still too far away. I will search the one near Quelaag' domain. Didn't saw it, maybe is because i walked to the domain by the left corner of blightown avoiding the big rock mobs.

My mistake.

Mistel

Banned
That's the one i meant it when i said the undead burg bonfire, is the firelink one (the first one when you arrive with the crow) but still too far away. I will search the one near Quelaag' domain. Didn't saw it, maybe is because i walked to the domain by the left corner of blightown avoiding the big rock mobs.

My mistake.
Assuming you went in via the depths you missed the first bonfire then as well? Or did you go in via drake entrance?

butman

Assuming you went in via the depths you missed the first bonfire then as well? Or did you go in via drake entrance?

I came from the entrance just after killing Gaping Dragon and went out by the drake valley. (All this in the first run trying to search the second bell without knowing that I must continued going in the lower part of blightown to the spider boss) So I activate the first bonfire, but like I said it still too far.
Well now im gonna try again and find the second one near the domain.

PranooY

I came from the entrance just after killing Gaping Dragon and went out by the drake valley. (All this in the first run trying to search the second bell without knowing that I must continued going in the lower part of blightown to the spider boss) So I activate the first bonfire, but like I said it still too far.
2nd blighttown bonfire:
Coming from the depths/first blighttown bonfire - on the right (small cave like structure)
Coming from firelink shrine/valley of drakes- left (small man-made cave)

Get some Gold pine resin , if you feel damage isn't enough for Quelaag/spider woman.

Tarkus

Once you find the bonfire, reverse hollow and head out to the right. Defeat the scripted invader to get you some assistance for the spider cunt if you need it.

So I just trespassed the Tomb of Gwyn by accident and got thrown out of the Darkmoon covenant. I get warped back to a bonfire and the fire keeper is hostile WTF???

Tarkus

So I just trespassed the Tomb of Gwyn by accident and got thrown out of the Darkmoon covenant. I get warped back to a bonfire and the fire keeper is hostile WTF???
I did the same thing once. If it's important to you, absolve with Oswald at the church. If not, kill the keeper (worth it). You can absolve later.

Mistel

Banned
I did the same thing once. If it's important to you, absolve with Oswald at the church. If not, kill the keeper (worth it). You can absolve later.
The worth of killing any firekeeper depends on whether or not you want to loose a bonfire or not for their soul.

Top Bottom