• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

With a controller or mouse and keyboard.

HEYYOOOOOOO
2503766-2616750949-13929.jpg

nah but really, I got to the "overworld" (?) but no matter what direction I go in I get killed. bad.

Welcome to Dark Souls! You have to take it slowly. Use your shield ALOT and try to lure the enemies away from the pack so you can take them one on one.
Even if they obviously outclass me, like the ghosts on the docks? Or should I just find a different route? What do the ratings mean (I found a message that said "good luck" and a rating of like 49, so I ran away.)

Tarkus

Even if they obviously outclass me, like the ghosts on the docks? Or should I just find a different route? What do the ratings mean (I found a message that said "good luck" and a rating of like 49, so I ran away.)
Stay away from the ghosts for now. You can't damage them at the moment. Go back to the firelink shrine bonfire and head up toward the elevated area that's to right of the man sitting down. There should be 4-5 enemies around the stairs.

The messages are just there to either help or not help you. It's just a way communication in a world where you feel so alone.

Ruuppa

Man, the ghosts are low-level, total wimps man. I can't believe you lost to them.
They're completely immune to non-cursed weapons. You can temporarily curse yourself with a Transient Curse. You're not supposed to go there yet.

Try going up instead of down. And for the love of all that is good and merciful, don't try going through the graveyard. I know at least one guy who went all the way through there right off the bat, and was incredibly pissy about how hard the game was.

Mistel

Banned
You should go upwards towards the hollow soldiers in firelink instead of the ghosts in New londo. Ratings are just how many times a message has been rated.

Damn this part is hard as hell. Finally i reached to my first encounter with the spider Boss at the end of blighttown and my damage to her is nothing, her first attacks were under control, but when she did the full fire breath it killed me in a instant, and fuck! i appeared again at the undead burg bonfire, it's sooo looong the way back :(

Any bonfire at the middle? The two of them are too fire away, the one at the undead burg and the other is almost in the beginning of the blighttown.

Any advice at this moment?

Tips for that boss:

Fight her from the front right side block when she does her normal attacks but keep a very close eye on her human body. When she goes limp thats when she's about to do the AoE. At that point either block and still take huge damage or roll backwards out of range. Most of the other attacks are easily blocked, dodged, or miss completely if you attack point blank front right but yeah the AoE blast will murder you. Watch for her human body to go limp and run/roll away asap!

Once you get the pattern down its actually not a very hard boss compared to some of the other bosses.

Oh and about the bonfire:

Close to the elevator/ladders at the bottom of the swamp there is a bonfire. From there its a quick run back to the boss with just a few monsters in the way. If your on the ramp near the elevator facing out at the swamp hug the wall left and the bonfire is right there.

butman

Tips for that boss:

Fight her from the front right side block when she does her normal attacks but keep a very close eye on her human body. When she goes limp thats when she's about to do the AoE. At that point either block and still take huge damage or roll backwards out of range. Most of the other attacks are easily blocked, dodged, or miss completely if you attack point blank front right but yeah the AoE blast will murder you. Watch for her human body to go limp and run/roll away asap!

Once you get the pattern down its actually not a very hard boss compared to some of the other bosses.

Oh and about the bonfire:

Close to the elevator/ladders at the bottom of the swamp there is a bonfire. From there its a quick run back to the boss with just a few monsters in the way. If your on the ramp near the elevator facing out at the swamp hug the wall left and the bonfire is right there.

Thank you sir

3DShovel

Man. I really need to stop playing DkS II so I can return to DkS and finally beat the DLC content. I also need to finally experience the game in 60fps considering i got a new PC not too long ago and can finally do that.

Torraz

Is it possible to run past the demon titanite dropping monster on the shortcut bridge to lost izalith? I've done it once, but it seems to follow. Does it eventually give up?

I don't think I've died to any two bosses together as often as I have died to this thing...

Altazor

Is it possible to run past the demon titanite dropping monster on the shortcut bridge to lost izalith? I've done it once, but it seems to follow. Does it eventually give up?

yup, I've done it. But prepare to die roll if the thing decides to shoot lightning.

Ruuppa

I don't think I've died to any two bosses together as often as I have died to this thing...

It's a bit less risky to run to the boss from the hidden bonfire.
It's in the second pillar from the Caterpillar Demon in the lava lake, with the dragon butts.

You can but one strike, it sttagers and you are done.

Especially against humanoids in ng+

Restarting Demon's. Hope the experience is as great.

Edit: this is the greatest series of all time

Just restarted Demon's Souls as well yesterday since giving up on it a couple years ago. I ended up using DkS an entry into the series. Now I love DS. It really is the greatest series ever.

Torraz

You can but one strike, it sttagers and you are done.
Running past proved to be no problem. I was not significantly staggered, perhaps due to my high poise.

Finally beat Gwyn. The parry strategy did not work for me. First time I went back to my greatshield of artorias, I easily tanked him to death, either punishing him after his combo, or healing.

What an amazing experience this first playthrough of a souls game has been...

Not sure If I should try a bit of NG+, a different type of character (perhaps dex), Demon's Souls (gave up after three levels), or something else entirely.

Donos

Dropped S&O. Tough fight but still easier than thought, Maybe i was already overleveled. SL60, Claymore 10+, STR 35, END 35, VIT 23.

O took around 270 dmg from my one-handed R2 attack and S around 100-150. Took down O first. Pillars made it a bit to easy. Still nice fight .Nneeded some tries though till i saw all their patterns and could adapt my attacks.

Now back again to damn New Londo...

Dropped S&O. Tough fight but still easier than thought, Maybe i was already overleveled. SL60, Claymore 10+, STR 35, END 35, VIT 23.

O took around 270 dmg from my one-handed R2 attack and S around 100-150. Took down O first. Pillars made it a bit to easy. Still nice fight .Nneeded some tries though till i saw all their patterns and could adapt my attacks.

Now back again to damn New Londo...

Wow you're good! I don't stand a chance and I'm level 65 :( I can get one of them down but it'll take me like 10 flasks and Ornstein doesn't take any damage from my lightning longsword +2 :/

Mistel

Banned
Wow you're good! I don't stand a chance and I'm level 65 :( I can get one of them down but it'll take me like 10 flasks and Ornstein doesn't take any damage from my lightning longsword +2 :/
Ornstein has a high lightning resistance and your longsword gains no scaling whilst being on the lightning upgrade path.

I was putting all my points in END and VIT already, so I didn't really feel the need to have scaling Weapons, when lightning gave me such a huge boost in damage. I've tryed an Occult Club that I found against him, but that does even less damage. I guess he's bad against fire. Maybe I can forge something with fire.

Ruuppa

I was putting all my points in END and VIT already, so I didn't really feel the need to have scaling Weapons, when lightning gave me such a huge boost in damage. I've tryed an Occult Club that I found against him, but that does even less damage. I guess he's bad against fire. Maybe I can forge something with fire.

You can, but it's a long trip from Anor Londo to get that upgrade. Fire helps a lot against Fats & Slims tho'.
The blacksmith for that is in the Catacombs.

Alternatively, if you have somewhat good stats for it, you could downgrade your longsword to normal +10 and use that for the boss and then upgrade back. You get tons of Chunks later.

Mistel

Banned
As ruppa says you can make it into a fire weapon via Vamos or just back to a normal weapon if you don't want to make the trip and upgrade it back again post O&S.

I'm feeling like my Longsword +10 isn't strong enough, though I've got no idea what to replace it with. I'm up to O&S now.

Would a greatsword or something be a good pick? I'm going with a strength build (26 str, 34 end currently, working on 40 end before going str str and more str).

Donos

I'm feeling like my Longsword +10 isn't strong enough, though I've got no idea what to replace it with. I'm up to O&S now.

Would a greatsword or something be a good pick? I'm going with a strength build (26 str, 34 end currently, working on 40 end before going str str and more str).

Do you have a man serpent greatsword from sen's fortress? You see big damage gains with bigger swords and axes as str build Character and only loose some attack speed. Long sword moveset is not bad but get something bigger. Would not trade my claymore against a faster weapon anymore. Silver knights in anor londo melt under my two handed R1 3-hit-combo. Sorry for all the bad typing, just camr out of club and are still dizzy. Still in the mood to try that nasty new londo ghosts again now though.

I don't have the man serpent greatsword.

I've been looking up some weapons and I think I might backtrack and grab the Zweihander and upgrade that. Then I'll eventually use one of the big 40/50 strength weapons I imagine.

Ruuppa

I've been looking up some weapons and I think I might backtrack and grab the Zweihander and upgrade that. Then I'll eventually use one of the big 40/50 strength weapons I imagine.

Demon Great Machete man, that's where it's at. One more Str and you can two-hand it, and it's an utter beast. If you're in the Forest Guardians, you can buy one from below the Blighttown shortcut elevator.

Zwei is easier to get though, so go for that. Laurel & Hardy get easily staggered with it, or any other big weapon. If you have the Great Club, that's also a damn good Str weapon, with relatively low requirements. Large Club is arguably better because of the moveset, and you could onehand it with your stats, but you need to farm it from the Barbarians.

Mistel

Banned

If you're back tracking go to Tarkus's corpse in Anor Londo for an easy greatsword. Demon great axes are great strength weapons that you can buy from Shiva.

Donos

Zweihander has a big punch and staggers good but be aware that the moveset is very very slow.

Soulhouf

I have tons of Large Shards left over, think I'll just use those to go to +10 on a different weapon.

Another suggestion: since you kept your stats at the minimum, make a raw weapon+5. You'll get more pure physical damage output than a regular+10.
It's a temporary solution but it's pretty effective.

Ferr986

Last week I got Dark Souls PC thanks to the Steam sale. Started playing recently (with Dsfix)... thats quite the difference compared to the 360 version. It looks and runs so good.

Only bad part is that theres not much people around it seems (no ghosts, no bloodstrains, almost no signs after the Gargolyes).

Alright, backtracked to get the Zweihander and upgraded it to +10. It is much stronger than my old Longsword.

Silver Knights go down in 3 hits, and they cant even fight back because the R2 attack knocks them to the ground and they die before they get up <3

O&S are giving me trouble though, can barely even get one down to 2/3 health before I die.

Altazor

O&S are giving me trouble though, can barely even get one down to 2/3 health before I die.

move constantly, use the pillars for protection, don't let ANY of them out of your sight but battle only one of them because
whenever you will one of them, the second phase of the fight will start with the other one with full HP
. If you're still having a lot of trouble, don't be afraid to summon help (even if it's Solaire).

Curiously enough, I almost ALMOST defeated them on my very first try playing the game. As usual, got a bit greedy and got punished for that. My 3 or 4 following attempts weren't as nearly as succesful but I still defeated them in the end. Just have patience! And even thought I must've died a couple of times, I never found it frustrating - I found it the best boss fight of the game until that point. It's a lot of fun. It keeps you on your toes, it makes you shake with nervousness as you're trying to avoid the attacks from both of 'em, it barely gives you a break... it's a test of the abilities you've gained so far, and it's a brilliant test.

Divius

Curiously enough, I almost ALMOST defeated them on my very first try playing the game.
Me as well. I was thoroughly warned for O&S, and I entered the boss area with 1 Estus remaining after battling the other enemies in the area, just to see how tough they exactly were. So on my first try I killed one and nearly killed the other. I died because I couldn't heal (no more estus, didn't want to waste humanity) and made it on my second try. Really cool bossfight but initially somewhat of a letdown personally after all the hype. (That might just be us though, most people struggle with these guys)

Altazor

Me as well. I was thoroughly warned for O&S, and I entered the boss area with 1 Estus remaining after battling the other enemies in the area, just to see how tough they exactly were. So on my first try I killed one and nearly killed the other. I died because I couldn't heal (no more estus, didn't want to waste humanity) and made it on my second try. Really cool bossfight but initially somewhat of a letdown personally after all the hype. (That might just be us though, most people struggle with these guys)

ouch, that's rough... but if you managed to last that long without healing items, then I tip my hat to you.

I think I died more times to the fucking Firesage Demon than O&S, lol. Something about not properly rolling, I guess.

daninthemix

Having solo'd Dark Souls because I could never get GFWL to work, I have no shame in admitting that I co-op'd every single boss in Dark Souls 2 and enjoyed the process immensely.

I almost got snagged on Royal Rat Authority (the giant dog one, right?) because I'd been using a large club and a mace, and neither were able to take out the charging pack of small toxic dogs quickly. I ended up +10ing a greatsword just so I could take them out in one sweep. And then I learn that boss isn't even mandatory. Doh!

Ruuppa

Having solo'd Dark Souls because I could never get GFWL to work, I have no shame in admitting that I co-op'd every single boss in Dark Souls 2 and enjoyed the process immensely.

I almost got snagged on Royal Rat Authority (the giant dog one, right?) because I'd been using a large club and a mace, and neither were able to take out the charging pack of small toxic dogs quickly. I ended up +10ing a greatsword just so I could take them out in one sweep. And then I learn that boss isn't even mandatory. Doh!

The reward from that boss is a warm feeling in your gut, that soon turns into an icy lump as you realize that to keep that feeling you need to kill him again on NG+ and onwards.. Such is life in Dark Souls.

Donos

Fiiiiiiinally got the Very Large Ember. Pumped my Claymore +10 up to +15. Fools better start running when they see me. I'm strapped.

Top Bottom