• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Donos

-_- That's why i love the souls games. Get cocky/careless, make one mistake and you are dead. Claymore +15 is no use when you don't have stamina left and are in a silver knight sandwhich.
Respawn > sprint > drop into a hole because the elevator was not there > lost 12 humanity -_-
Enough for me today. Still have so much left + DLC and clocked already around 68 hours.

Also going to hook up my PS3 with a LAN cable and try some PVP again. See if these teleporting enemies/lagged backstab deaths are because of my WIFI.

I've read Ornstein is harder in phase 2 but fuck it, I'm having an easier time killing Smough first. He's bigger so it's easier to get Ornstein stuck behind him to attack safely.

Had him at 1/3 health and ran behind a pillar to heal and Ornstein charged me and his spear went through the pillar to reach me arghoshgfslhgouissfkldhg

Edit: Decided it was time to move on and summoned another player, we ended up killing fatty first ^_^

Also with all those those I leveled my endurance to 40 :D
So now I may as well just put everything into strength to eventually one hand the Demon Great Axe? And then from there just max out my vitality?
Is it worth going into magic at all for a strength build?

Ruuppa

I've read Ornstein is harder in phase 2 but fuck it, I'm having an easier time killing Smough first. He's bigger so it's easier to get Ornstein stuck behind him to attack safely.

Had him at 1/3 health and ran behind a pillar to heal and Ornstein charged me and his spear went through the pillar to reach me arghoshgfslhgouissfkldhg

Edit: Decided it was time to move on and summoned another player, we ended up killing fatty first ^_^

Also with all those those I leveled my endurance to 40 :D
So now I may as well just put everything into strength to eventually one hand the Demon Great Axe? And then from there just max out my vitality?

More utility is good, but Pyromancy can also fill that slot quite well. You can get quite a nice damage boost from Crystal Magic Weapon (Int 25) for the DGA, but it'll likely put you over SL100 (if the PVP/Coop meta is your goal).
I'd go for 2 Attunement slots and Pyromancy, and the extra levels to Vitality.

Albo

Expected NG+ to be a bit harder but I'm walking through all the enemies so far (using fury-sword+5 at level 88), though they do deal noticeably more damage.

That is most were a breeze until I got to the hellkite dragon, so I switched to a more suitable weapon (BKGS), but he's doing that one hit kill where he hovers above flaming the whole bridge more frequently than I remember in NG, not to mention his hitbox is so iffy when I role towards him behind his neck to avoid his forward flame and attack him during that animation but the flame OHK's me even though I'm clearly behind it. I noticed the wiki mentioned something about him behaving differently in NG+ and having faster health regen. I've applied gold pine resin but I'm still not doing much damage to him.

edit: Finally got him after dozens of attempts. Feels good, but still, I feel I should've killed him sooner.

Mistel

Banned
Finally got him after dozens of attempts. Feels good, but still, I feel I should've killed him sooner.
I wouldn't worry about it the hellkite is always like that really.
Not really for an all strength build do what Ruupa mentioned. You will need 46 strength to one hand a demon great axe but it is worth the investment especially as a crystal weapon.

Thrak360

Neo Member
All right, third time was the charm with Quelaag. Awareness of the AoE attack was the key for me, avoiding it entirely or at least never getting hit with it with the shield down. Second bell, finally rung.

Made it all the way to back to the Parish bonfire before I realized I missed the Crimson set that had been mentioned here. So made an immediate return trip lol. Re-entering Blighttown from the Valley of Drakes isn't bad at all. Not having to bother with the entrance from The Depths, will make return trips to Blighttown rather uneventful.

By my count there's now 8 areas open to me that I have barely explored or even taken a peek at: Great Hollow, Catacombs, New Londo Ruins, Darkroot Garden, Darkroot Basin, Valley of Drakes, Demon Ruins, and Sen's Fortress. But, "the cutscene shows you where to go" so I'll try that first.

grimmiq

By my count there's now 8 areas open to me that I have barely explored or even taken a peek at: Great Hollow, Catacombs, New Londo Ruins, Darkroot Garden, Darkroot Basin, Valley of Drakes, Demon Ruins, and Sen's Fortress. But, "the cutscene shows you where to go" so I'll try that first.

Congratulations! You're at the part where I said "screw this!" and uninstalled for the first time 2 years ago..

All right, third time was the charm with Quelaag. Awareness of the AoE attack was the key for me, avoiding it entirely or at least never getting hit with it with the shield down. Second bell, finally rung.

Made it all the way to back to the Parish bonfire before I realized I missed the Crimson set that had been mentioned here. So made an immediate return trip lol. Re-entering Blighttown from the Valley of Drakes isn't bad at all. Not having to bother with the entrance from The Depths, will make return trips to Blighttown rather uneventful.

There is a hidden bonfire right after queelag battle
Always bring a sandwich those explorations takes a huge part of the game.

Finally got around to the Atorias DLC. Man, it's been a super long time since I played this game.

Kinda bummed how the whole DLC kicks off. Finding a random crystal golem in the Duke's Archives, just standing there...yeah. Is there backstory that I'm missing that explains the sheer randomness of that?

Took down the Sanctuary Guardian first try, but keep getting my ass kicked by Atorias himself. Might have to change my weapon loadout, since I'm rolling a Black Knight Halbred and...it just feels too slow.

Finally got around to the Atorias DLC. Man, it's been a super long time since I played this game.

Kinda bummed how the whole DLC kicks off. Finding a random crystal golem in the Duke's Archives, just standing there...yeah. Is there backstory that I'm missing that explains the sheer randomness of that?

Took down the Sanctuary Guardian first try, but keep getting my ass kicked by Atorias himself. Might have to change my weapon loadout, since I'm rolling a Black Knight Halbred and...it just feels too slow.

Well, after the fall of oolacile Seath took some reseach field in that place for his experiments aka Darkroot garden in the present era, thats why you can see the crystal golems and the butterfly wandering there as a sigh seath was there. He managed to obtain the art of manipulation souls into inanimated objects and the princess Dusk for later reseach by discarded her in one of his golems.

After the DLC events Seath somehow found the old pendant, Manus most precious posession and put it there inside of the golems. Since you find it and explored the darkroot garden. Manus (in the past era) somehow detected the presence of the pendant near of his chamber and pull you in his time in a last attemp to recover the pendant, simbol of his humanity and a lost love.

Well, after the fall of oolacile Seath took some reseach field in that place for his experiments aka Darkroot garden in the present era, thats why you can see the crystal golems and the butterfly wandering there as a sigh seath was there. He managed to obtain the art of manipulation souls into inanimated objects and the princess Dusk for later reseach by discarded her in one of his golems.

After the DLC events Seath somehow found the old pendant, Manus most precious posession and put it there inside of the golems. Since you find it and explored the darkroot garden. Manus (in the past era) somehow detected the presence of the pendant near of his chamber and pull you in his time in a last attemp to recover the pendant, simbol of his humanity and a lost love.

Thanks for the info. The cystal golem, though, still so random. It's not even in the Archives, just chilling there outside that elevator room, staring at a wall. Haha, guess I shouldn't expect too much .

Thanks for the info. The cystal golem, though, still so random. It's not even in the Archives, just chilling there outside that elevator room, staring at a wall. Haha, guess I shouldn't expect too much .

That golem is not in the archives because something big happens and because the DLC is placed before you fight the 4 lords in the game timeline but you can enter the dlc when you want it but before fighting the last boss

grimmiq

Haha, why is that? How many hours did you have clocked in back then?

Not a great deal, I had 0 ranged capabilities and a crappy weapon on my first few attempts, and this was before I really sat down thinking "I'm going to finish this!" took me 2 years to finally finish about 80hours total (including my impatient attempts), it was a love/hate thing for a long time and the majority of my frustration wasn't how hard bosses were or any unfair shenanigans..but just the run back to bosses on each death and pushing my luck, now it's possibly my favourite game of the last 10 years.

papercamm

I'm trying to get backups to work in my DSfix'd dark souls game, since I can't get GFWL to work with the game. I can find the .bak files but I don't know how to load them, or even how they are loaded. Any help?

Thrak360

Neo Member
Re-entering Blighttown from the Valley of Drakes isn't bad at all. Not having to bother with the entrance from The Depths, will make return trips to Blighttown rather uneventful.
So I picked up with my saved game, right after picking up the Crimson set. And somehow I managed to slip off the log bridge that's right there. Respawn at Firelink, and then I'm in a rush to get back and recover my humanity. Well the elevator to New Londo Ruins was at the bottom of the elevator shaft where I left it. But I did not recognize that until it was too late and I ran right into the big hole in the floor. Hahahahahahaha

Donos

So I picked up with my saved game, right after picking up the Crimson set. And somehow I managed to slip off the log bridge that's right there. Respawn at Firelink, and then I'm in a rush to get back and recover my humanity. Well the elevator to New Londo Ruins was at the bottom of the elevator shaft where I left it. But I did not recognize that until it was too late and I ran right into the big hole in the floor. Hahahahahahaha

That elevator killed me at least 3 times. Lost a lot of humanity because of it.

Tarkus

That elevator killed me at least 3 times. Lost a lot of humanity because of it.
I died 4 or 5 times at the blacksmith in New Londo. He's so long-winded and to get out of conversation with him, I would keep mashing O on ps3. Pushed it too many times, back stepped off the skinny stairs. YOU DIED

Donos

haha :lol, (catacomb boss)
Pinwheel
died with 2-3 one-hand slashes of the +15 Claymore. Was over after 2 seconds oO.
Ok, time to get another nice weapon and put out the Claymore only for tough enemies or bosses. That was really ridiculous. Maybe i was supposed to visit the Catacombs a bit earlier.

I'm totally lost in this level. Seems like i'm doing circles.

Mistel

Banned
haha :lol, (catacomb boss)
Pinwheel
died with 2-3 one-hand slashes of the +15 Claymore. Was over after 2 seconds oO.
Ok, time to get another nice weapon and put out the Claymore only for tough enemies or bosses. That was really ridiculous. Maybe i was supposed to visit the Catacombs a bit earlier.
Pinwheel could trip over and die in all honesty he's ludicrously weak. So it's pretty much par for the course to find pinwheel easy. Leeroy kills him in 2 or 3 hits.

Donos

Pinwheel could trip over and die in all honesty he's ludicrously weak. So it's pretty much par for the course to find pinwheel easy. Leeroy kills him in 2 or 3 hits.

lol good to know. (don't know who Leeroy is though. I guess a summon? Don't have summoned anyone yet)

ACESmkII

...So this Manus character is kind of Tough.

Most of the bosses seem quite tame compared to him.

Based on his speed, maybe I should not be trying to melee him with a +14 zweihander.

Ruuppa

...So this Manus character is kind of Tough.

Most of the bosses seem quite tame compared to him.

Based on his speed, maybe I should not be trying to melee him with a +14 zweihander.

Quite many of his attacks leave him open for punishment, even with heavy weapons. Observe his combos, the delay between them, and KILL.

You're on your own when he starts using magic though. That part be whack, yo.
Using the Silver Pendant negates his magic projectiles, and you can spam it fast enough so none of them hit you. He can still start another attack while the projectiles are tracking you, so watch out.

FUCKING GOD DAMN MANUS

Jesus fucking christ. I finally got the DLC in my NG+ and all I have left is him and then Gwyn and I've beaten every boss in NG+. I have died probably 30 times on this stupid fuck. I am a pure sorcerer and cannot catch a fucking break. I like to think my dodging has at least improved to the point where I'm not a total knob, but by christ. I have 1300 HP and it's enough to get maybe two hits. Between fumbling around with the god damn pendant and dodging and trying to heal, I'm fucked. This fucking boss my god. Plus, nobody around to help with some jolly cooperation due to the fact that I'm SL110 and nobody is in this spot.

I just destroyed my controller. Savaged it.

/rant

FUCKING GOD DAMN MANUS

Jesus fucking christ. I finally got the DLC in my NG+ and all I have left is him and then Gwyn and I've beaten every boss in NG+. I have died probably 30 times on this stupid fuck. I am a pure sorcerer and cannot catch a fucking break. I like to think my dodging has at least improved to the point where I'm not a total knob, but by christ. I have 1300 HP and it's enough to get maybe two hits. Between fumbling around with the god damn pendant and dodging and trying to heal, I'm fucked. This fucking boss my god. Plus, nobody around to help with some jolly cooperation due to the fact that I'm SL110 and nobody is in this spot.

I just destroyed my controller. Savaged it.

/rant

I never defeated manus solo ng+ as sorcerer

Sigh. This along with the 4 kings (pre dukes archives in order to meet kaathe) are two bosses I feel were not built with pure sorc in mind for ng+

Tarkus

I have died probably 30 times on this stupid fuck. I am a pure sorcerer and cannot catch a fucking break...I have 1300 HP and it's enough to get maybe two hits...I just destroyed my controller. Savaged it.

/rant
Manus is resistant to magic I believe.
evil-laugh.gif

From Software

Booshka

I you are pure sorcerer you should be stacking magic damage with Bellowing Ring and Dusk Crown, 40% increase right there. Then make sure to use the strongest Catalyst for your stats and just use the really strong spells like Crystal Soul Spears, Crystal Soulmass, Dark Bead, and then whatever else you need to finish him off.

He is resistant to magic, but you can still stack a ton of damage if you have the right stats and gear. If you are pure sorcerer at SL 110, you should have at least 44 INT, so use Tin Crystal Catalyst or Logan's for more damage.

You could also go hyper mode with RTSR ring and add another 50% damage as well. If you are getting two shot anyway, it might be worth a try if you stack your damage and do nearly 100% more damage with all those gear considerations in mind.

I believe I'm almost done with this game but I'm hesitant to finish it because I don't wanna go to NG+ right away.

Does it just automatically send you to NG+ after you beat the final boss or is it something you have to select?

I would like to stick around in this world for a bit longer.

Booshka

I believe I'm almost done with this game but I'm hesitant to finish it because I don't wanna go to NG+ right away.

Does it just automatically send you to NG+ after you beat the final boss or is it something you have to select?

I would like to stick around in this world for a bit longer.

Automatically forced to NG+ after you beat final boss. Hang around NG for a bit, explore, farm, craft weapons, talk to NPC's, kill some NPC's, etc. If you want, go ahead and check out a guide or ask questions so you can see some of the more hidden items, areas and bosses. Unless you want to discover it on your own, or try to find them on NG+.

Automatically forced to NG+ after you beat final boss. Hang around NG for a bit, explore, farm, craft weapons, talk to NPC's, kill some NPC's, etc. If you want, go ahead and check out a guide or ask questions so you can see some of the more hidden items, areas and bosses. Unless you want to discover it on your own, or try to find them on NG+.
I think I've done damn near everything I can, besides the dlc, but I wanna get some new weapons for NG+.

Though I've stuck around and fucked around for so long in NG that I'm probably gonna be OP for a decent chunk of NG+

But I'll definitely ask some questions if I can think of any. Thanks.

NBtoaster

I started a faith build recently thinking I've never done that before in this game. But now I find I do have a faith character from a few years ago with a far superior build, even with kalameet's tail and gravelord greatsword dance. I had given up on kalameets tail on my current build..

Thrak360

Neo Member
Not gonna lie, was just booking around the very familiar Firelink Shrine area, and seeing Frampt for the first time scared the crap out of me.

Tarkus

I think I've done damn near everything I can, besides the dlc, but I wanna get some new weapons for NG+.

Though I've stuck around and fucked around for so long in NG that I'm probably gonna be OP for a decent chunk of NG+

There's some decent weapons in the Kiln if you're a STR build. Did you
kill all the fire keepers for their souls
?

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hey guys, quick question. With DSFix, is it possible to disable/dull the smoke and dust effects? I've been noticing that my FPS take a hit whenever some big guy slams his club or hammer into the ground and kicks up dust.

Am I playing the game right?

So I'm at level 51....in Anor Lando. Trying to play as honest as possible, although my friend had given me a few good tips. I'm using the black iron armor and the uchigatana at +9 right now. I have never used any kind of magic or fire or lightning weapons or anything. I have a fire glove but no idea how to use it. Haven't farmed any souls and usually only have 1 or 2 humanity at any given time. I have no clue what the covenants are for. I'm playing a Dex/End build.... Both around 30 at the moment.

Can I continue to play this way? I know that I'm getting to some very difficult places soon, but I think I'm doing well so far. I dont want to be screwed later on because I don't have a +10 lightening spear or something. (it's +3 right now) Thanks!

GRIP

So I'm at level 51....in Anor Lando. Trying to play as honest as possible, although my friend had given me a few good tips. I'm using the black iron armor and the uchigatana at +9 right now. I have never used any kind of magic or fire or lightning weapons or anything. I have a fire glove but no idea how to use it. Haven't farmed any souls and usually only have 1 or 2 humanity at any given time. I have no clue what the covenants are for. I'm playing a Dex/End build.... Both around 30 at the moment.

Can I continue to play this way? I know that I'm getting to some very difficult places soon, but I think I'm doing well so far. I dont want to be screwed later on because I don't have a +10 lightening spear or something. (it's +3 right now) Thanks!

You're right about where you should be as far as SL and weapon upgrades. The uchi is probably the best katana in the game so you'll be fine if you want to stick with it for the rest of the game. Leave the lighting spear alone, though. It's not that good of a weapon and you're wasting upgrade materials that you'll need later. Besides that you seem to be in good shape.

So I'm at level 51....in Anor Lando. Trying to play as honest as possible, although my friend had given me a few good tips. I'm using the black iron armor and the uchigatana at +9 right now. I have never used any kind of magic or fire or lightning weapons or anything. I have a fire glove but no idea how to use it. Haven't farmed any souls and usually only have 1 or 2 humanity at any given time. I have no clue what the covenants are for.

Stay pure or being hibrid class, tought question.

Right now you need to explore the game more after unlocking the orange fog gates and upgrade your weapons and gear.

About being hibrid it add versatibility to your playstyle, at the end being pure or being hibrid its your choice the game is really open in that regard.

I have a fire glove but no idea how to use it.
You need to equipment the pyromancy flame in either hand like any other weapon, and then attune spells at any bonfire. Attune spells = equip spells. You can buy/loot spells throughout the game, but you can't use them until you attune (equip) them.

Attunement is the stat that gives you more spell slots (the top window on the equipment HUD bottom left of the screen). The pyromancy flame increases in power when you upgrade it at a pyromancy trainer, who also sell the spells.

There's some decent weapons in the Kiln if you're a STR build. Did you
kill all the fire keepers for their souls
?
Yes I did, which is why I'm assuming I'm at the end. I think I'm just gonna do the dlc and finish up the game. I really wanna play NG+ after I've messed around in NG for a bit more, but I have DS2 to play. I enjoy this one more, so waiting to jump into NG+ will give me something to look forward to.

Yes I did, which is why I'm assuming I'm at the end. I think I'm just gonna do the dlc and finish up the game. I really wanna play NG+ after I've messed around in NG for a bit more, but I have DS2 to play. I enjoy this one more, so waiting to jump into NG+ will give me something to look forward to.

*looks at his name*

Its mahvel time!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Since my DS2 save got fucked (Stay the hell away from the arenas, people) I figured I'd return to Lordran and finish what I started. So I'm on a new character that I'm not doing dumb shit with and I'm doing really well so far.

Almost beat the Bell Gargoyles on my first try, solo. It feels great coming back and knowing what do do :D. Also accidentally fucked a guy over because I thought he wanted to kill the Black Knight, he summoned me again a second time and he just pointed away from the tower :lol.

*looks at his name*

Its mahvel time!
Pretty much all the time, until the salt overflows.... Then it's Dark Souls time and I take my anger out on my enemies..... until I get too overzealous and make a mistake and die. Then my sodium levels rise again. I make my way back to my souls and proceed to roll off a fucking cliff. Souls lost. [Salting intensifies]

Ryuuga

Banned
I have a slight problem. I was playing offline with a local gamertag the entire time and decided I'd hop online about 2 weeks and 2 characters later. So I recovered my old gamertag and was prompted with a few network-related errors. I eventually got my online profile working and decided I'd check up on my original offline profile only to find that the saves had been corrupted. I have dsfix backups but all the ones I've tried came back corrupted. I removed the current save, let GFW make a fresh one so I could replace it with a back up, but it came back corrupted as well.

Anyone have a remedy? If not, I was planning on starting Demon's Souls anyway.

Sullichin

Since my DS2 save got fucked (Stay the hell away from the arenas, people) I figured I'd return to Lordran and finish what I started. So I'm on a new character that I'm not doing dumb shit with and I'm doing really well so far.

Almost beat the Bell Gargoyles on my first try, solo. It feels great coming back and knowing what do do :D. Also accidentally fucked a guy over because I thought he wanted to kill the Black Knight, he summoned me again a second time and he just pointed away from the tower :lol.

Same here. I alt+f4d after an arena match so I guess it's my fault, but I always use alt+f4 to quit the game. Guess I was gambling with my save every time. Kind of sucks because this is the character I platinumed the game with and I have pretty much everything. Still, he's level 240 which is not desirable for me for PVP so I wouldn't play as him much anyway.
I've read if you bring another character back to the area where your first character's save got corrupted, it will fix itself. This didn't work for me, but might be worth a shot.

Anyone have a remedy? If not, I was planning on starting Demon's Souls anyway.

Is it possible that GFWL is logging you into your online gamertag but the save is from your offline one? The saves have metadata tying them to your gamertag and they won't work with another one.
There is this thread about the issue that someone from NBGI posted on Steam back in 2012:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2901570
But he straight up tells you to not change your gamertag. :/

No, because it's spelled Anor Londo. ;)
But really you are doing fine. Your uchi will be better than than the lightning spear will ever be so don't worry about that. Just keep upgrading the uchigatana on the normal path. 40 is a good stopping point for leveling DEX.
To use the pyromancy glove you have to attune a pyromancy spell at a bonfire. Then equip the glove. With a pyro spell selected (up on dpad to cycle between spells), press L1 or R1 if the glove is in your left/right hand respectively to cast the spell. There are a few NPC merchants who can upgrade your pyro glove. This is the only way to increase the damage of each spell; no stats affect your pyro damage.

In the first half of NG+ you just stomp through the game. It's fun in its own way and the challenge comes back when you have to fight O&S again, depending on your build.

Top Bottom