• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

GorillaJu

Been banned the last few weeks, ironically for referencing Dark Souls in OT in a way that I guess the mods didn't get/appreciate.

Been wanting to elucidate my feelings on DS as I finally had a chance to play through it, especially because I've been annoyed by the prevalence of people dismissing DS2 and From Software every time it comes up.

I played Dark 2 (and Demon's) before this one and I can see where people prefer Dark 1. The first half of this game, in particular, is pure brilliance. The level design, the boss variety, the places to explore and the secrets to find. Everything is purpose-built and feels like it has a reason for being there.

However the severe drop in quality as you get toward the second half is worse than anything in Dark 2. It becomes less fun and the bosses don't have the same fair challenge to them. All of the Lord Souls are straightforward fights that aren't really mentally challenging, but force you to just die and learn (Bed of Chaos), or are just easy roll-and-punish affairs.

And the difficulty is highly overstated. Ornstein and Smough is a well-designed, fun encounter but it isn't as hard as Sentinel bros or Belfry Gargs to me. I loved the O&S fight but I beat it on my second try on my first play through and my first try on my second (did it in reverse order the second time). I wouldn't say it's anywhere near the "it'll turn you into a man!" difficulty level that's always assumed in discussions about this game. That said its true that DS2 simply doesn't have any boss fights that are as fun and engaging as O&S.

I think I felt the difficulty in DS was largely not very challenging for the same reason people felt that way about DS2. The first one you play will always be the more difficult, since you have to learn the systems, the tells, how to provoke enemies, what sides to roll to and when to roll back, etc. To me, Smelter Demon, Darklurker, Belfry Gargs and Sentinel Bros are all harder than anything I encountered in DS. However if I had cut my teeth on O&S, Gwyn, etc. maybe I'd think it was DS2 that was too easy.

That's also not even mentioning the design of the bosses themselves, which is awesome in DS1. There is variety and atmosphere at a level DS2 can't match. This is where DS pulls ahead quite a bit—the designs overall, and the NPCs in particular really add to the world, where in DS2 everyone feels like they're lost and floating with no real connection or reason for being, outside of the Emerald Warden.

All in all:
DS
+ level design and exploration. Illusory walls that make sense. I found all but two on my first go
+ atmosphere and NPCs (where is DS2's Yurt?)
+ better stat allocation
+ great enemy designs and a few awesome bosses, neat NPC invasions like Mildred, Kirk and the exiled King guy
+ proper amount of playful humor sprinkled here and there
+ Gwynevere's giant boobs
- severe drop in quality of levels and exploration once you get Lordvessel
- that people can spend hundreds of thousands of souls on upgrading their gear and use non-scaling weapons to stay at very low SL and invade you on your NG play through actually had me missing Soul Memory. SM isn't perfect but getting my day ruined multiple times by people who were stacked with lightning +10 weapons at SL25ish was annoying
- lots and lots of connection errors trying to co-op. I played through entirely solo the first two runs but it seems like I wouldn't be able to summon anyone anyway if I tried. 9/10 attempts just end in error.

DS2
+ longer game with more places to go and more bosses to kill
+ runs at 60fps on PC, has very little (if any) connection errors with multiplayer
+ better lore. I know this won't be a popular opinion but I thought Drangleic's story, with Vendrick, Aldia, Nashandra etc. was more intricate and interesting than Lordran's
+ consistent quality throughout the game, even improving in the second half
+ I like the bonfire ascetic system
+ covenants are more meaningful
- putting agility on it's own dedicated stat was a poor choice.
- a few too many "dude with a weapon" bosses
- enemies just a bit less fun overall. No real quirky encounters like the squid guys in Duke's Archives who go crazy when the alarm is played
- the actual window for execution after a parry is weird. I like DS's instant execution better.

All in all, I do agree with the masses that DS1 is the better of the two, but the disparity between them isn't anywhere near what people claim. DS2 is a very good game. My opinion is echoed here in the Eurogamer review:

Overall, Dark Souls 2 probably isn't quite the same masterpiece Dark Souls is, but then neither is anything else, and the fact it comes so close is remarkable. From Software has delivered on its goal of opening the game up a bit to more daunted players without breaking the heart of Souls, and Drangleic belongs in the same conversation as Lordran for any number of reasons - but this is still an iterative sequel, so many of the old routines and patterns of discovery inevitably sparkle a little less the second time around.

Only a little, though, and when the worst you can say is that a game is only nearly as good as Dark Souls, that's still a pretty strong recommendation.

Tarkus

Been banned the last few weeks, ironically for referencing Dark Souls in OT in a way that I guess the mods didn't get/appreciate.

Been wanting to elucidate my feelings on DS as I finally had a chance to play through it, especially because I've been annoyed by the prevalence of people dismissing DS2 and From Software every time it comes up.

I played Dark 2 (and Demon's) before this one and I can see where people prefer Dark 1. The first half of this game, in particular, is pure brilliance. The level design, the boss variety, the places to explore and the secrets to find. Everything is purpose-built and feels like it has a reason for being there...
What are your thoughts on how Demon's stands up to its newer brethren?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Same here. I alt+f4d after an arena match so I guess it's my fault, but I always use alt+f4 to quit the game. Guess I was gambling with my save every time. Kind of sucks because this is the character I platinumed the game with and I have pretty much everything. Still, he's level 240 which is not desirable for me for PVP so I wouldn't play as him much anyway.
I've read if you bring another character back to the area where your first character's save got corrupted, it will fix itself. This didn't work for me, but might be worth a shot.

The game got stuck on the loading screen for me so I had to force quit it :(. Took my time and made a second character, got to the cathedral of blue, went in the arenas and nothing. Uninstalled the game afterwards and decided to focus on 1 instead.

It occurs to me how the Drake Sword isn't really any good compared to a +5 Longsword, so glad I skipped that piece of trash this go around. Manhandled the titanite demon beneath André without that crutch this time around, felt good!

In the first half of NG+ you just stomp through the game. It's fun in its own way and the challenge comes back when you have to fight O&S again, depending on your build.
I have a strength build. They weren't too bad the first time around, but that's probably because I was expecting the hardest fight of my life. Took me 2 tries, with a little patience.

The second boss fight of the dlc kicked my ass like 6 times though.

GorillaJu

What are your thoughts on how Demon's stands up to its newer brethren?

I would say Dark Souls = Demon's Souls > Dark Souls 2. Demon's is probably the hardest, but not overwhelmingly so. Some of the enemies that you can end up facing early on (like silver/gold skeletons, red eyed knights) are super rough, and Demon's Blighttown equivalent is brutal. Of course you also end up facing Black Knights early on in DS provided you go exploring, so it has its moments. All in all, the curve is just gentler in DS and that makes it a better game IMO. It doesn't throw you against the genuinely punishingly hard shit unless 1) you want to or 2) you're ready. The Estus is probably the biggest difference in gameplay systems and that is a huge improvement over grass farming, so definitely + on that.

Tower of Latria is tops though. Best level in any Souls game IMO.

--

Has anyone (successfully) done a dual claw build? I started one and I'm using two +6 claws right now but it's fucking hard :lol Seems like there's no real advantage to two claws. I might do Claw + Spear in off-hand, though it is really nice that I can parry with two claws (you can't parry with a spear, right?)

Ryuuga

Banned
Is it possible that GFWL is logging you into your online gamertag but the save is from your offline one? The saves have metadata tying them to your gamertag and they won't work with another one.
There is this thread about the issue that someone from NBGI posted on Steam back in 2012:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2901570
But he straight up tells you to not change your gamertag. :/

I think I did too much damage to recover it at this point. He made a point not to change it and that simply changing it back will recover your progress. I was dumb and decided to create another profile with the same name as my offline account. My guess is that it's finding conflict with the previous data because of that. I'll bite the loss either way, I enjoyed the game immensely but wanted to experience PVP and the other online components which I'll do sometime after I finish DeSo. Thanks for the reply.

Donos

Alright, shit is dark in the tombs of giants. Also a good ol friend ...

Ah, that lantern helps a bit.

Ahaha that is the place from the "Nope" gif which gets posted once in a while here.

GorillaJu

Alright, shit is dark in the tombs of giants. Also a good ol friend ...

Ah, that lantern helps a bit.

Ahaha that is the place from the "Nope" gif which gets posted once in a while here.

There's a helmet you can get in Lost Izalith which you can wear to light up the place. But prepare to cry when you go to get it. I ran around rolling before I embraced the inevitable and did what Miyazaki demanded of me.

Emoticon_cry.gif

Donos

There's a helmet you can get in Lost Izalith which you can wear to light up the place. But prepare to cry when you go to get it. I ran around rolling before I embraced the inevitable and did what Miyazaki demanded of me.

Emoticon_cry.gif

I'm already superhappy with the Skulllatern. Without it, i saw 1cm in front me and with it 500% more. Only problem are the nasty Archers who hit me when i don't use the shield. So a Helmet would be nice.

When i entered the Tomb, i just fell to death so after the spawn i panned the cam direclty to the floor and made babysteps. Saw distant little lights which weren't really distant because they were the eyes of a big ass Skeleton who already came swinging at me. Scarry moment (hadn't picked up my souls and 9 humanity yet).
Thank god for my Balder Shield +9.

I just wished FROM had used some more (ambient) noises for some places to further enhance the atmosphere.

Tarkus

I'm already superhappy with the Skulllatern. Without it, i saw 1cm in front me and with it 500% more. Only problem are the nasty Archers who hit me when i don't use the shield. So a Helmet would be nice.

When i entered the Tomb, i just fell to death so after the spawn i panned the cam direclty to the floor and made babysteps. Saw distant little lights which weren't really distant because they were the eyes of a big ass Skeleton who already came swinging at me. Scarry moment (hadn't picked up my souls and 9 humanity yet).
Thank god for my Balder Shield +9.

I just wished FROM had used some more (ambient) noises for some places to further enhance the atmosphere.
I think you can just run though everything from bonfire to bonfire. Then run all the way to the fog door. My memory could be wrong, I spent as little time as possible there. I hate that area.

Altazor

During my first trip down there... man. It was like my journey through the Depths, but worse. More tense, more dangerous and YOU CAN'T SEE SHIT WITHOUT A LANTERN. Hated that place Tomb of the fucking Giants.

I returned before the final boss, just to farm souls and titanite and laughed at how those beasts were no match for my POOOOOWAAAHHHHH... UNLIIIIMIIIITEEEEEED POOOOOWAAAHHHHH!

So yeah, it's one hell of a first experience. After you learn the layout and how to deal with the enemies, it's a great spot to farm. And it's always nice to get some revenge on those skeleton beasts.

Any of you guys have any good tips on STR builds? My current stats are below and I've been trying to decide where to go next. I really dig the idea of being able to mid roll with havel's set but if I am to stay under SL 120 (incase I want to pvp later though I'm not really big on it atm. Forest ring pvp was fun though!) I will have to give up a lot of VIT for a lot more END even with havel/ring of protection.

(Started as a Pyro and have maxed glove)

VIT 20
ATT 12
END 42
STR 46
DEX 18 (Possibly a mistake but I got some black knight weapons really early)
RES 12
INT 10
FAITH 8

What would you guys suggest? I've got +14 Demon's Greataxe, Demon's Great Machete, Man-Serpent Greatsword, and I could upgrade my Black Knight Greatsword to +5 easily. Right now I've got just enough end to mid roll with Elite Knight set, havels ring, Greatshield of Artorias, and Man-Serpent Greatsword.

I'm kind of at the point of no return now on my stats. I could pump a lot more end or halt and pump vit. I just can't seem to decide. (My first character as well trying not to screw it up lol)

Mistel

Banned
Any of you guys have any good tips on STR builds? My current stats are below and I've been trying to decide where to go next. I really dig the idea of being able to mid roll with havel's set but if I am to stay under SL 120 (incase I want to pvp later though I'm not really big on it atm. Forest ring pvp was fun though!) I will have to give up a lot of VIT for a lot more END even with havel/ring of protection.

VIT 20
ATT 12
END 42
STR 46
RES 12
INT 10
FAITH 8

What would you guys suggest? I've got +14 Demon's Greataxe, Demon's Great Machete, Man-Serpent Greatsword, and I could upgrade my Black Knight Greatsword to +5 easily. Right now I've got just enough end to mid roll with Elite Knight set, havels ring, Greatshield of Artorias, and Man-Serpent Greatsword.

I'm kind of at the point of no return now on my stats. I could pump a lot more end or halt and pump vit. I just can't seem to decide. (My first character as well trying not to screw it up lol)
You've passed the soft caps now so there's not much point on rasing your endurance or strength either unless you want to single hand weapons thart require 50 strength. But you should be fine with a demon great axe it is an excellent weapon for strength builds.

Tarkus

VIT 20
ATT 12
END 42
STR 46
RES 12
INT 10
FAITH 8

Even though your stamina is maxed at END 40, your equipment load does not diminish in returns. If that's your main target (decent armor, weapon + fast roll) then don't stop adding to it.

Ruuppa

VIT 20
ATT 12
END 42
STR 46
RES 12
INT 10
FAITH 8

I would pump Vit until 40 to hit that soft cap, and hit it hard. But if a decent roll in heavy armor is your goal, pump End until you can do that with the ring variation of your choice. Full Havel midroll with your weapons and shields of choice might be a bit less than optimal. Remember that you can substitute a LOT of Poise with the Wolf Ring, allowing you to poisetank with a lot lighter armor than full Havel.

If you're really set on using the heavy towershields, you don't even need to go full hog for a fast roll. Just glue your finger on L1.

FUCKING GOD DAMN MANUS

Jesus fucking christ. I finally got the DLC in my NG+ and all I have left is him and then Gwyn and I've beaten every boss in NG+. I have died probably 30 times on this stupid fuck. I am a pure sorcerer and cannot catch a fucking break. I like to think my dodging has at least improved to the point where I'm not a total knob, but by christ. I have 1300 HP and it's enough to get maybe two hits. Between fumbling around with the god damn pendant and dodging and trying to heal, I'm fucked. This fucking boss my god. Plus, nobody around to help with some jolly cooperation due to the fact that I'm SL110 and nobody is in this spot.

I just destroyed my controller. Savaged it.

/rant

I beat him.

I took a couple of days off. I changed my route, rather than going from the oolacile dungeon (where that damned mage picked me off 1 out of every 2 times on average and enraged me before I even made it to Manus) to the shortcut from near where you fight Artorias.

I tried summoning Sif and using him as a distraction, buy me a little bit of time. It helped.

I learned how to dodge every single one of his damned moves. I did this by entering the arena with no thought of attack, but only stay alive for as long as possible. It helped.

I gave up trying to dodge his dark magic, I could only do it reliably with the one he shoots forward. I made use of the pendant and spammed the crap out of it.

SL110, pure sorc. I used the tin catalyst with dragon ring thingie to boost magic, as well as the crown of dusk. I needed 4 crystal soul spears, 8 regular soul spears, and one homing crystal soul spear to kill him.

WOW.

Of course, I then went and dusted Gwyn with 9 homing crystal soul spears without taking a hit, first try. Classic. I remember back when he was actually difficult.

I think that'll do for me. Beat NG with a strength based swordsman, and now I've beaten NG and NG+ with a pure sorc. Hanging up the skates. Cheers all.

I beat him.

I took a couple of days off. I changed my route, rather than going from the oolacile dungeon (where that damned mage picked me off 1 out of every 2 times on average and enraged me before I even made it to Manus) to the shortcut from near where you fight Artorias.

I tried summoning Sif and using him as a distraction, buy me a little bit of time. It helped.

I learned how to dodge every single one of his damned moves. I did this by entering the arena with no thought of attack, but only stay alive for as long as possible. It helped.

I gave up trying to dodge his dark magic, I could only do it reliably with the one he shoots forward. I made use of the pendant and spammed the crap out of it.

SL110, pure sorc. I used the tin catalyst with dragon ring thingie to boost magic, as well as the crown of dusk. I needed 4 crystal soul spears, 8 regular soul spears, and one homing crystal soul spear to kill him.

WOW.

Of course, I then went and dusted Gwyn with 9 homing crystal soul spears without taking a hit, first try. Classic. I remember back when he was actually difficult.

I think that'll do for me. Beat NG with a strength based swordsman, and now I've beaten NG and NG+ with a pure sorc. Hanging up the skates. Cheers all.

As a fellow sorcerer, I salute you, now any game featuring a mage is a cake compared to this achievement.

GorillaJu

cJUFho0.jpg

fml

why do all the hard bosses resist my claws. even at +15 w/ 40 dex they hit for 75-ish every swipe. easy bosses? no problem, hit for 175-ish and they bleed.

GAF. So I used to post in the older Dark Souls thread about my hunter-based play-through, but it went on hiatus for like a year and a half. Well, I finally got around to finishing up the playlist, so I thought I'd come and share it's final results with y'all.

So, 'Arrowheads' was a Hunter based play-through. I only used a crossbow or bow when I fought bosses. This was a compressed 'Let's Play', where I only kept in the important bits, and edited out all the fluff. Straight to the point content, with post-game commentary.

I broke it down in episode, each is like 10-15 minutes, so, basically the entire game in about 3 hours.

(Links go to my YouTube page, which is NOT monetized)

Episode 1: Asylum Demon, and I get the Black Bow of Pharis.
Episode 2: Capra Demon, and Gaping Dragon.
Episode 3: New Londo Ruins, and Gargoyles
Episode 4: Blighttown and Quelaag.
Episode 5: Sen's Fortress and Iron Golem
Episode 6: Taurus Demon, and Stray Demon
Episode 7: Anor Londo Special + Ornstein and Smough
Episode 8: Graveyard/Catacombs/TotG, and Gravelord Nito
Episode 9: Gwyndolin, Moonlight Butterfly, Sif
Episode 10: Ceaseless, Demon Firesage, Centipede and Bed of Chaos
Episode 11: Duke's + Crystal Cave, and Seath
Episode 12: DLC: Santuary Guardian and Knight Artorias
Episode 13: DLC: Manus
Episdoe 14: 4 Kings, and Gwyn! The End?

Altazor

I watched your Anor Londo vid... enjoyed it quite a lot. LOL'd at "Gonna Fly Now" and the end of your first O&S fight, lucky bastard :lol

I'll certainly watch the rest of them!

Donos

I think you can just run though everything from bonfire to bonfire. Then run all the way to the fog door. My memory could be wrong, I spent as little time as possible there. I hate that area.

Yeah, you can run past the Skeleton Dogs which are the only thing which gave me a bit of trouble. Paladin got me on the wrong foot and killed me. Then i just killed Nito but now the Paladin dosn't spawn anymore -_-

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, you can run past the Skeleton Dogs which are the only thing which gave me a bit of trouble. Paladin got me on the wrong foot and killed me. Then i just killed Nito but now the Paladin dosn't spawn anymore -_-
They will not spawn now the area boss is defeated. If you wanted the set then you cannot get that along with Grant and santcus this playthrough.

Tarkus

They will not spawn now the area boss is defeated. If you wanted the set then you cannot get that along with Grant and santcus this playthrough.
No build deal unless you're STR/FTH build. The Paladin set is nothing special other than it looks nice imo. The biggest thing he missed was the excellent fight with Leeroy.

Mistel

Banned
No build deal unless you're STR/FTH build. The Paladin set is nothing special other than it looks nice imo. The biggest thing he missed was the excellent fight with Leeroy.
It has high curse resistance and is a decent medium weight armor should you wish to wear it. Leeroy I didn't find that difficult to fight.

Donos

Yeah, i just want to fight all BPs and his Helm looked nice. Most of the time, i wear helmets who look nice, even when they don't have the best stats for my STR warrior.

Thrak360

Neo Member
Sen's Fortress has been a nice change of pace. Doing pretty good there so far, aside from a couple boulder deaths and getting surprised by a rather large firebomb. lol.

Made it up top and found a bonfire. Activated a cage elevator back to the bottom. And finally found someone selling a Balder Shield, so now I have one at +5 after failing to farm it in the Parish.

Pretty sure I have layed eyes on the boss (the big guy?), and the fog door to it. But a few things on the "to do" list first.
- Need to check out the ladder down, around the corner from the Berenike Knight (I think it was a Berenike - I popped him with an arrow from a distance to draw him out, he just stood there and took it, so killed him thusly). I think I have explored the entire roof area otherwise.
- Need to go back down and figure out what to do with that boulder switching mechanism. I've probably mised some stuff related to that. Since the boulders clipped me a couple times when I thought I was safely distanced, I was initially happy to just ignore them once I got to the stairs leading up.
- I've spied a Titanite Demon down below on a couple occasions. Didn't come across a way down - besides dropping in. So need to try that at some point.

Altazor

Sen's funhouse is... well, fun. It's also frustrating and deadly, but fun. I hated the lightning-throwing reptiles the first time I went through the place though, especially 'cause all of my shields had shitty lightning resistance. Wasn't given enough room to be patient with them - blocking was no good, I was still losing health, so... yeah. Tense stuff, but revenge was sweet.

Oh, and be sure to play around with the boulder mechanism. There are a few nice things you can find by doing that.

Thrak360

Neo Member
Sen's funhouse is... well, fun. It's also frustrating and deadly, but fun. I hated the lightning-throwing reptiles the first time I went through the place though, especially 'cause all of my shields had shitty lightning resistance. Wasn't given enough room to be patient with them - blocking was no good, I was still losing health, so... yeah. Tense stuff, but revenge was sweet.

Oh, and be sure to play around with the boulder mechanism. There are a few nice things you can find by doing that.

I switched to my best lightning shield shortly after entering the Fortress, because you see a serpent mage right away, and the first pit has a Titanite Demon right below. But the mages were crushing me. I checked Wiki guide and it told me those lightning balls were actually magic attacks. So switched to Crest Shield and it was a huge difference. Especially when a swinging pendulum knocked me down to a platform with 3 serpent mages. I actually survived.

Altazor

hah, yeah, that part with the 3 serpent mages always ends up being fun
unless, of course, you're overleveled and you kill them without sweating

Sen's is <3

You should've picked up a few decent lightning shields by Sen's though, Wooden (in Undead Burg), Eagle (in Blighttown), I think even the one you find in the graveyard should have decent lightning defense since it's wood iirc.

Sen's is designed so perfectly and tightly though - your first trip through is treacherous and frustrating, your final trips through take seconds and it's like a ballet - everything is synced up and placed so well.

Thrak360

Neo Member
I'm carrying around the Eagle Shield for lightning protection if the need arises - have not been back to the graveyard since the early hours of the game. Used the Spider Shield as my primary the previous two locations - and I actually think that's my best fire shield too. And as mentioned I have the Crest if magic damage is an issue. The Balder +5 will now be my default shield for non-elemental encounters, replacing the Kite +5.

Mistel

Banned
Sen's is <3

You should've picked up a few decent lightning shields by Sen's though, Wooden (in Undead Burg), Eagle (in Blighttown), I think even the one you find in the graveyard should have decent lightning defense since it's wood iirc.

Sen's is designed so perfectly and tightly though - your first trip through is treacherous and frustrating, your final trips through take seconds and it's like a ballet - everything is synced up and placed so well.
The caduces round shield in the graveyard does have decent lightning defense. It's easy to get if you run to it.

Mogwai

I just experienced something weird.

After killing the Gaping Dragon I went to Blighttown. Now, at the second bonfire (aqueduct, near Mildred BP spawn) my bonfire was already lit. I know I didn't light that bonfire as I just started NG+.

Is this normal? (PC version)

Top Bottom