• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

I just experienced something weird.

After killing the Gaping Dragon I went to Blighttown. Now, at the second bonfire (aqueduct, near Mildred BP spawn) my bonfire was already lit. I know I didn't light that bonfire as I just started NG+.

Is this normal? (PC version)

Noup is not normal, did you kindle that bonfire in NG?

Tarkus

Sen's is <3

You should've picked up a few decent lightning shields by Sen's though, Wooden (in Undead Burg), Eagle (in Blighttown), I think even the one you find in the graveyard should have decent lightning defense since it's wood iirc.

Sen's is designed so perfectly and tightly though - your first trip through is treacherous and frustrating, your final trips through take seconds and it's like a ballet - everything is synced up and placed so well.
Sen's Fortress while buzzed is the best experience ever.
not really

Noup is not normal, did you kindle that bonfire in NG?
Aren't the bonfires already lit in NG+ as long as you lit them in NG, regardless of kindling status?

Mogwai

Sen's Fortress while buzzed is the best experience ever.
not really

Aren't the bonfires already lit in NG+ as long as you lit them in NG, regardless of kindling status?

The first bonfire I lit in Blighttown wasn't lit.

Edit: Just went to Northern Undead Asylum for a revisit. And the bonfire was lit. It's probably just because I didn't light the 1st bonfire in Blighttown on my NG run.

/case closed <.<

Mistel

Banned
The first bonfire I lit in Blighttown wasn't lit.

Edit: Just went to Northern Undead Asylum for a revisit. And the bonfire was lit. It's probably just because I didn't light the 1st bonfire in Blighttown on my NG run.

/case closed <.<
Didn't you light it when you first left the asylum though?

Mogwai

Didn't you light it when you first left the asylum though?
I don't know what I was rambling about yesterday.

I just reached Sen's on this NG+ run and the bonfire was already lit. I knew that the kindled bonfires would carry over, but didn't remember that they would stay lit.

Mistel

Banned
I don't know what I was rambling about yesterday.

I just reached Sen's on this NG+ run and the bonfire was already lit. I knew that the kindled bonfires would carry over, but didn't remember that they would stay lit.
They're not meant to stay lit. Don't know why it was.

I watched your Anor Londo vid... enjoyed it quite a lot. LOL'd at "Gonna Fly Now" and the end of your first O&S fight, lucky bastard :lol

I'll certainly watch the rest of them!

Thanks dude. Yeah I get lucky several times in the LP. One instance in particular, I was fighting
Artorias
(DLC) and as I was about to get hit, and that exact frame I managed to finish reloading my crossbow and bring up my shield, to block an attack that would otherwise kill me.

Hopefully I got this timing right: http://youtu.be/ZW4nKIa6b8M?t=11m10s It's within 10-15 seconds, and I also show it in slow-mo.

Altazor

Thanks dude. Yeah I get lucky several times in the LP. One instance in particular, I was fighting
Artorias
(DLC) and as I was about to get hit, and that exact frame I managed to finish reloading my crossbow and bring up my shield, to block an attack that would otherwise kill me.

Hopefully I got this timing right: http://youtu.be/ZW4nKIa6b8M?t=11m10s It's within 10-15 seconds, and I also show it in slow-mo.

holy crap man, excellent timing there

Awwww yissssssssssss. Last night I spent some time with the 'boss' in the very first DLC 'area'.
Sanctuary Guardian(s); the respawning duo of them.

Optional fight, pretty hard, harder than O&S for sure.

And of course, the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cagpph6iQ8o&index=15&list=PL964jgaL-2u-XMgFTXZi0BsGrvcLa0hjL

Hands down the most fun I've had with this game in a while. To anyone who likes challenging fights, I would recommend it, for sure.

At first I was getting stomped out within seconds. Took me several tries just to figure out how to stay alive longer than a minute.

Ruuppa

Dang, just got the Guardian Tail for the first time ever. A bit disappointed; The range is horrible. Into the Box you go!

Aurongel

Super Ornstein on NG+ is super resistant to my maxed silver knight spear and solaire dies horribly from the sappy butt slam. I think I'm stuck :X

Ruuppa

Super Ornstein on NG+ is super resistant to my maxed silver knight spear and solaire dies horribly from the sappy butt slam. I think I'm stuck :X

Pyromancy your way to victory. 2 attuned Fire Orbs with maxed out Flame will do a good chunk of damage to him. You can also poison and toxic him from a distance for some extra damage.

I wouldn't even use NPC summons on NG+ and onwards. They tend to die way too easily to justify the HP boost the bosses get from summoning them.

Discovered the Sen's Fortress shortcut on YouTube yesterday and took it myself today. How the actual fuck did I miss that in 4 playthroughs? I've been running Sen's over and over.

To be fair I can do it without getting touched in my sleep now.

butman

OK.
Killed Quelag and ring the second bell. The natural path brings me to the Demon's Ruins (lava one) and all is calm, no enemies to kill until y pass the fog door and after loot the dark robes ANOTHER BIG BOSS. I'm in the right place? Or i wen here to earlier?

Altazor

OK.
Killed Quelag and ring the second bell. The natural path brings me to the Demon's Ruins (lava one) and all is calm, no enemies to kill until y pass the fog door and after loot the dark robes ANOTHER BIG BOSS. I'm in the right place? Or i wen here to earlier?

It's certainly one place you can go, and that boss is kinda cheap... but you can be even CHEAPER to kill it easily.

But remember the cutscene after
ringing the second bell
? That's where you ideally must go now to "advance the plot". It's a fun fun fun place.

Mistel

Banned
OK.
The cutscene after the second bell told you where to go. In this case Sen's Fortress.

OK.

You are supposed to go to sen fortress near of the undead church.

Aurongel

So I struggled bad but managed to beat Artorias with his own shield no less and pushed further into the DLC. I was worried this added content would just resort to tired, linear-minded level design (
a la Dark Souls II
) but the Oolacile area has some great design and has FAR better ambient sounds/scenery than anywhere else in the game. Even Artorias was a super fun fight despite being pretty tough and agile. I'm pretty beside myself with how well made this DLC is so far even if I made the mistake of playing it in NG+ where everything butchers me in two hits.

I just made it to Manus and actually did pretty well given how deceptively fast he was. I didn't even take direct damage until I got him down to 2/5 health at which point he formed a ring of humanity that hit me from behind and killed me in one shot. The hell was with that?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well, I just completed my first playthrough of this game! For some of my thoughts, I'll quote myself from the LTTP thread:

Game completed! I'll agree with those who have said that the last part of the game (after
Anor Londo
) isn't as strong as what came before that. Some of those later areas and boss fights just felt a bit rushed, with less work put into them. And the ending?
"Link the fire", credits roll. No ending cutscene, no nothing. I guess DkS2 picks up where this ends? Or is the implication that there is no salvation, no lifting the curse of the undead, but just an endless cycle?

Overall I loved it though. Definitely the best game I've played this year, and certainly one of the highlights of the PS360 generation. Can't wait for Bloodborne. But first, Demon's Souls!

I finished at lvl
, with
hours on the clock (although a bunch of those were spent idling as I was doing other things). Is that reasonably typical for a first playthrough, or have I taken way longer than I should? Lol.

I'm not at all opposed to doing a NG+ playthrough, but like I said, next up for me is Demon's Souls.

Altazor

I just made it to Manus and actually did pretty well given how deceptively fast he was. I didn't even take direct damage until I got him down to 2/5 health at which point he formed a ring of humanity that hit me from behind and killed me in one shot. The hell was with that?

you've got to either: a) use your silver pendant with precise timing to become invulnerable to Dark for a couple of seconds and so, withstand the attack, b) roll through the orbs or c) get really close to Manus (there's a small safe zone where the orbs can't reach you)

it's a bitch, though. I had a hard time with the thing in NG, I can't even imagine how challenging he must be on NG+

Donos

Glad that the game keeps challenging. Had some moments in Anor Londo where i thought that the games got too easy with my maxed out gear/stats. Constatnly fighting Silver Knights was also a very good training.

These Archers in Duke's Archive take 70% of my health when they hit from behind. Have to wrap my mind around the layout of the archives. I'm lost a bit atm

I'm also excited reading here that the bosses from the DLC are challenging. Can't wait.

JustinBB7

you've got to either: a) use your silver pendant with precise timing to become invulnerable to Dark for a couple of seconds and so, withstand the attack, b) roll through the orbs or c) get really close to Manus (there's a small safe zone where the orbs can't reach you)

it's a bitch, though. I had a hard time with the thing in NG, I can't even imagine how challenging he must be on NG+

If you've beat him once, and understand how you did it, he's easy on NG+++

My first time took me ages, but once I figured him out I beat him on my first try ever since, which sucks because I really like that fight lol.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I just started this game for the first time and it's hard.
I died trying to get back to my green splodge thingy and I lost ~2000 souls. :(

Don't give up, most people's first experience with the Souls games is like this. An important lesson early on is to not get attached to the souls, so you won't mind losing them. What you collected, you can gather again. After a while 2k souls will seem like peanuts as well.

Keep at it, you'll make progress.

Donos

Don't sweat the Souls. Upgrading weapons/shield is more important. You'll get enough souls later and from finishing bosses.
I'm always mourning more about the loss of humanity.

Tarkus

These Archers in Duke's Archive take 70% of my health when they hit from behind. Have to wrap my mind around the layout of the archives. I'm lost a bit atm
Take out all 3(?) channelers as soon as possible. They buff all the crystal guys.

Don't worry about it; it will happen many more times. I once lost 77,000 souls and 8 humanity in New Londo Ruins. Does that qualify for a vagrant?

Ruuppa

You'll be losing so many souls later on that you'll laugh at the memory of sweating 2000 souls. Just keep hammering at it, you'll get the hang of it soon enough.

Divius

You'll be losing so many souls later on that you'll laugh at the memory of sweating 2000 souls. Just keep hammering at it, you'll get the hang of it soon enough.
But in perspective 2000 souls a lot at the start. Later on you will lose 30k and be like: Oh well, shit happens.

Ruuppa

But in perspective 2000 souls a lot at the start. Later on you will lose 30k and be like: Oh well, shit happens.

I remember the first times I lost my deathmarker with significant amount of souls and humanity on it. Cold sweat, a lump in my stomach.. Brr.

It's damn admirable that the game manages to do that, to make an actual consequence to dying that you really feel.

I still get that feeling sometimes. Mostly in the form of trepidation when running through uncleared areas while human.. That sound an invasion makes.. That text in the bottom of the screen.. Damn great adrenaline rush! I just love the game for having the ability to make me feel that.

Don't sweat the Souls. Upgrading weapons/shield is more important. You'll get enough souls later and from finishing bosses.
I'm always mourning more about the loss of humanity.
Don't give up, most people's first experience with the Souls games is like this. An important lesson early on is to not get attached to the souls, so you won't mind losing them. What you collected, you can gather again. After a while 2k souls will seem like peanuts as well.

Keep at it, you'll make progress.
Don't worry about it; it will happen many more times. I once lost 77,000 souls and 8 humanity in New Londo Ruins. Does that qualify for a vagrant?
Thanks for the encouragement guys :) think I'm gunna give it a bit more of a go tonight. I played a few hours of Demon's Souls on the PS3 a few years ago but forgot about it amidst a ton of other releases so I decided I'd like to give this "series" a proper try.

I beat the Taurus demon at the top of the tower on the first go then died when I walked into that trap where there's oil on the floor. Then I died trying to reclaim my shit (losing another 4k souls)

Oh dear.

Ruuppa

I beat the Taurus demon at the top of the tower on the first go then died when I walked into that trap where there's oil on the floor. Then I died trying to reclaim my shit (losing another 4k souls)

Oh dear.

Oil on the floor? Do you mean the bridge with the Drake spewing fire all over?

Mistel

Banned
There is a shorcut to the undead burg bonfire below that bridge, didnt noticed the "oil" but it think it is ashes on the floor.
It's ashes and the odd burnt corpse or two:
maxresdefaultnujr6.jpg

I'm in a tree and I'm cursed :/
How do I get uncursed, and does cursing instantly kill you?

Need a purgin stone to remove your curse, the undwad in the sewers sells them or the sin guy on the bell. Curse can kill if you get exposed too long to the curse cloud or curse effect, like poison.

Ruuppa

I'm in a tree and I'm cursed :/
How do I get uncursed, and does cursing instantly kill you?

Once the Curse -meter is full, you die and are Currrsseeedddd~~

On top of what Orochi said, you can also get your curse removed in New Londo Ruins, but getting to the guy who does it is annoying. But at least you can hit all the ghosts with impunity while genuinely cursed, without needing to use a Transient Curse.

If you went completely down the tree, there are some walking Clams that drop Purging Stones really often. Just watch out for the Black Hydra.

Kyzon

Need a purgin stone to remove your curse, the undwad in the sewers sells them or the sin guy on the bell. Curse can kill if you get exposed too long to the curse cloud or curse effect, like poison.

O__O Idk how I'm going to get back up there. I basically slowly fell down the tree, lol

Once the Curse -meter is full, you die and are Currrsseeedddd~~

On top of what Orochi said, you can also get your curse removed in New Londo Ruins, but getting to the guy who does it is annoying. But at least you can hit all the ghosts with impunity while genuinely cursed, without needing to use a Transient Curse.

If you went completely down the tree, there are some walking Clams that drop Purging Stones really often. Just watch out for the Black Hydra.

Ah ok. I'll try the clams. I'm staring at this hydra right now :/

Andddddddddd it killed me

Tarkus

O__O Idk how I'm going to get back up there. I basically slowly fell down the tree, lol

Ah ok. I'll try the clams. I'm staring at this hydra right now :/

Andddddddddd it killed me
Use homeward bone to get out. That is, unless you rested at the bonfire at Ash Lake.

Top Bottom