• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

O__O Idk how I'm going to get back up there. I basically slowly fell down the tree, lol

I now that feel bro!! That part was amazing!

Dont worry there is a
bonfire
if you make it to the roots to the right and there is a secret in that area.

Also like ruuped said you can farm those clamps and get purgin stones. That hydra does something special if you trigger it

Kyzon

Use homeward bone to get out. That is, unless you rested at the bonfire at Ash Lake.

Which I of course did, lol

I now that feel bro!! That part was amazing!

Dont worry there is a
bonfire
if you make it to the roots to the right and there is a secret in that area.

Also like ruuped said you can farm those clamps and get purgin stones. That hydra does something special if you trigger it

Well then..... I don't like the clampearl's at all. One just ate me, then I tried to heal and the hydra... jumped out of the water and dripped on me? XD

Ruuppa

I was hoping it would kill the clams for me with that. No such luck. I'm assuming lvl 50 is a tad bit low for this area?

If you have a 100% resist physical shield with ~50 Stability or over, you can tank the Hydra in melee. Just get close to the shore he's closest at, and keep your shield up. You'll probably need to get your feet wet, but you should be fine as long as you don't go to the DEEP part of the pool. Once you've slashed a couple of the heads off, he'll be really easy, if a bit hard to hit.

Tip: Wait behind the root/dune until he's really close to the shore before running up to melee him. His watershots hurt.

K' Dash

I just bought this last night to give it a whirl with my new GTX 780, and GODDAM it took me a while to get used to the combat again, specially when I spent all my morning trying to kill the Dragon Rider with the defaul armor, broken sword and first shield, doesn't help that they take away to health bar bit by bit every time you die, fuck.

After some tries I gave up on the Dragon Rider and went to the forest, again with nothing but the default everything, farmed some sould there, found the key for the blacksmith and bought my Axe, went again to the forest, farmed a little bit more to buy a shield and went to the dragon rider and kicked his ass, with the souls bough myself a nice Elite Knight Suit.

It was a lot of work, I'm rusty and I lost a lot of time, but daaayum, this game is sweet once you find your moves again.

Does anyone know some config for this game on Nvidia cards to get the most of it? I'm new to the brand and haven't fooled around much, just cranked everything to the highest settings and forced triple buffering, vsync and all the AA I could from Nvidia control panel.

Good game so far.

Kyzon

You are in the right level but need to check your gear and weapons and more evade an' roll

Ah ok. I know my gear is garbage at the moment as I haven't been upgrading it, lol.
I'm back at the tree now though. So the slow ascent begins.

If you have a 100% resist physical shield with ~50 Stability or over, you can tank the Hydra in melee. Just get close to the shore he's closest at, and keep your shield up. You'll probably need to get your feet wet, but you should be fine as long as you don't go to the DEEP part of the pool. Once you've slashed a couple of the heads off, he'll be really easy, if a bit hard to hit.

Tip: Wait behind the root/dune until he's really close to the shore before running up to melee him. His watershots hurt.

I decided to run away since I'm still cursed. He looks at me wrong and I die.
I'll be back later for him after a good heal.
Same with the other hydra.

Aurongel

Woof, Kalameet is going to take some time to beat. I fought him for nearly five minutes and was barely able to dent him before he used some telekinesis thing on me and emitted a sound that made both my dogs cry. I guess he must be like the optional Superboss of the DLC though.

butman

OK

I crossed Sen's Fortress until i reach the Iron Golem killed instantly. Questions:

- As you go through the fortress you can see a lot of passages, some are underground, where you can see this large creatures with horns. I reach there after pick the silent ring one time but he killed me, he's sourrounded by two corpses with goodies, never came back. Never grab the soouls. I must come back?

- I moved the rock thrower to the sleeping snake guard and it break the wall and i reach to the prisoner mage. Can't free him, no key.

- So i figured out that there's any bonfire between the entrance of the fortress and the golem no?

- Any tip for the Golem, between him and the one that throws me meteors is insane!

- I'm out of humanity item atm. Just struggling with the 5 hestus flask

Mistel

Banned
- So i figured out that there's any bonfire between the entrance of the fortress and the golem no?

- Any tip for the Golem, between him and the one that throws me meteors is insane!

You probably walked straight past it you have to drop down to access it.

Killing the firebomb giant makes it easier otherwise just whack it till it falls over.

Farm some in the depths or put down your sign to co-op defeat the boss and get some that way.

Ruuppa

- As you go through the fortress you can see a lot of passages, some are underground, where you can see this large creatures with horns. I reach there after pick the silent ring one time but he killed me, he's sourrounded by two corpses with goodies, never came back. Never grab the soouls. I must come back?

- I moved the rock thrower to the sleeping snake guard and it break the wall and i reach to the prisoner mage. Can't free him, no key.

- The items down there are nothing special. One of them is a weapon you can't get anywhere else, but there are better versions of it. Try using a bow from the upper ledges to shoot the first big enemy as you come down along the ledges. You can snipe the second one as well. Get a +5 Short Bow or something to make it faster.

- There's a broken bridge on the upper part of the Fortress which you can jump over. There's a merchant there and the key that opens that cage AND a really useful shortcut. The shortcut is in the room with the two suspended cages in the central tower of the Fortress.

- If you're out of Manatees, farm them from the rats in the Depths, or co-op if your SL is still moderately low.

Divius

This game surely seems less and less active. It's taking me forever to summon/get summoned even at the places that used to be very active.

Ruuppa

This game surely seems less and less active. It's taking me forever to summon/get summoned even at the places that used to be very active.

Normal consequence of the sequel being out. And DkS1 is a relatively old game even without that fact.

Plus there are no dedicated servers, so it's dang hard to connect to others.

Donos

LOVED the (dlc boss)
Artorias
fight. Reminded me of the False King Allant fight from Demon's Souls which was my favourite fight.
Like these type of bosses. Real fights :)

Also hats off to the these huge guardians. Lethal punch they got there. Balder Shield +11 is on heavy duty.

butman

You probably walked straight past it you have to drop down to access it.

Killing the firebomb giant makes it easier otherwise just whack it till it falls over.

Farm some in the depths or put down your sign to co-op defeat the boss and get some that way.

- The items down there are nothing special. One of them is a weapon you can't get anywhere else, but there are better versions of it. Try using a bow from the upper ledges to shoot the first big enemy as you come down along the ledges. You can snipe the second one as well. Get a +5 Short Bow or something to make it faster.

- There's a broken bridge on the upper part of the Fortress which you can jump over. There's a merchant there and the key that opens that cage AND a really useful shortcut. The shortcut is in the room with the two suspended cages in the central tower of the Fortress.

- If you're out of Manatees, farm them from the rats in the Depths, or co-op if your SL is still moderately low.

Thanks.
Killed the firebomb, reach the bonfire, went to the elevator shortcut, opened the cage, got the bonfire.

Now about the Golem. I must kill him until his energy goes to 0? Or i must make him fall down? Any weak point or tactic? I feel like that i do too low damage.

Tarkus

Thanks.
Killed the firebomb, reach the bonfire, went to the elevator shortcut, opened the cage, got the bonfire.

Now about the Golem. I must kill him until his energy goes to 0? Or i must make him fall down? Any weak point or tactic? I feel like that i do too low damage.
Rush him and roll or run under his legs, pick one and attack it. Do not lock on. Stay behind and fairly close. Keep whacking away and eventually he'll drop down on a knee. Show no mercy.

Mistel

Banned
You can make him fall backwards off the side killing it but it's easier just to empty the health bar. What are you using weapon wise then if you feel you are doing low damage?

butman

You can make him fall backwards off the side killing it but it's easier just to empty the health bar. What are you using weapon wise then if you feel you are doing low damage?

Definitely i'm doing him too low damage for the time i must dodge him. Here's my stats and weapons. I'm not farming too much, just moving throught. Maybe i'm little low for this area?

CTBtekn.jpg

2W05fva.jpg

X2cTQK8.jpg

Any advice? Go back maybe and forge some weapons?

Aurongel

Thanks.

If you're between his legs or behind him then be wary of his grab attack. It has a crazy wide range that doesn't AT ALL align with his animation so you can easily get grabed if you're under his butt from a grab that reaches forward. The way he throws you can also be an instant kill on you if you're close to the ledge.

butman

Yes. You desperately need to get your main weapons to +5, or +6-10 if you got the ember for the blacksmith Andre

Mmmm i see, so forging is a must in this game.

I say this because when i played Demon's Souls it wasn't needed to forge any weapons or equipement too much because theres always appear new and better weapons or armors on the way, so i focused the souls to level up. I passed the game without forging at all.

Tarkus

Definitely i'm doing him too low damage for the time i must dodge him. Here's my stats and weapons. I'm not farming too much, just moving throught. Maybe i'm little low for this area?

CTBtekn.jpg

2W05fva.jpg

X2cTQK8.jpg

Any advice? Go back maybe and forge some weapons?
You need to forge for the next area for sure. Probably not a bad idea now. IIRC, the golem staggers or stun locks quite easily with a large weapon. Try the zweihander that you have and two hand it. Don't stay under legs, but do roll between when he turns and faces you. When behind him, roll backward when you see and attack animation. He's slow and easily telegraphed. When he misses, crush the leg with a large weapon.

Mistel

Banned
I say this because i played Demon's Souls first and it wasn't need it to forge too much. I passed the game without doing it at all.
If you don't you will get to the point where you are up a creek with no paddle as it were. If you go upgrade your weapons you will have a much easier time of it.

Donos

I say this because i played Demon's Souls first and it wasn't need it to forge too much. I passed the game without doing it at all.

What? Chapeau. If you upgrade a weapon two/three levels, the dmg difference is quite visible. Same in Dark SOuls.

Tarkus

What? Chapeau. If you upgrade a weapon two/three levels, the dmg difference is quite visible. Same in Dark SOuls.
Yeah. Crushing Claymore +5 is not even fair for the engine. Claymore +15 seems less dramatic in terms of improvement in DkS1.

God damn, the Great Club straight up wrecks PVE. The not a single boss gave me a challenge. Doesn't hurt that the damn thing looks rad as hell.

Love it.

Tarkus

God damn, the Great Club straight up wrecks PVE. The not a single boss gave me a challenge. Doesn't hurt that the damn thing looks rad as hell.

Love it.
I love the big ugly weapons. The Demon's Greataxe and the Dragon King Greataxe are my favorites atm.

butman

OK. It was all about forging weapons! I consumed somes hero souls that i haved. Zweihander +5. Crushed the Golem. Now this!

vRK4oPT.jpg

Wish me luck fellas...

PD: So is better that i focus on forging weapons than armors no?

Tarkus

OK. It was all about forging weapons! I consumed somes hero souls that i haved. Zweihander +5. Crushed the Golem. Now this!

vRK4oPT.jpg

Wish me luck fellas...

PD: So is better that i focus on forging weapons than armors no?
Armor is very useful in this game compared to Demon's, but you've got to factor in mobility. Also, don't get locked into the ultra greatswords because you beat the golem with one. Explore what you want. Now is the time when you will really progress in soul levels. Choose wisely according to your play style.

Edit: All this Dark Souls talk has caused me to scrap Demon's at the moment.

Veterans: Dragon King Greataxe or Demon's Greataxe? Basically, great AoE vs sweet uppercut?

So I got VIT and END to 50 and 40 respectively and have no clue what to spend my points on now, as I have no real clue how to actually use magic or mircales. :D Currently stuck at O&S again, stupid fuckers the both of them. It really sucks that you get the Lordvessel AFTER you beat them. It would be so much easier to do some other stuff like the Asylum, Ariamis, Pinwheel or Sif before I beat them to get to a slightly higher level but no.

Tarkus

So I got VIT and END to 50 and 40 respectively and have no clue what to spend my points on now, as I have no real clue how to actually use magic or mircales. :D Currently stuck at O&S again, stupid fuckers the both of them. It really sucks that you get the Lordvessel AFTER you beat them. It would be so much easier to do some other stuff like the Asylum, Ariamis, Pinwheel or Sif before I beat them to get to a slightly higher level but no.
What's your offensive stat? What are your stats in STR, DEX, INT, and FTH?

Mistel

Banned
I mainly use Lightning and Fire weapons, so it doesn't really change a lot.
I have about 25 STR, 17 DEX, 12 INT and 9 FTH.
Just out of interest you do have a weapon that is not infused with an element? Ornstein resists lightning whilst Smough resists fire. What are these two weapons and their current level?

I'd hate to be a broken record, but check out the Claymore if you don't already have it.

I tried using a Zweihänder for a while, but it felt way to slow for me, Claymore has a very similar moveset right?

Just out of interest you do have a weapon that is not infused with an element? Ornstein resists lightning whilst Smough resists fire. What are these two weapons and their current level?

I'm using a lightning longsword +5 for Smough and a fire battle axe +10 for Ornstein.

Tarkus

I tried using a Zweihänder for a while, but it felt way to slow for me, Claymore has a very similar moveset right?

I'm using a lightning longsword +5 for Smough and a fire battle axe +10 for Ornstein.
Similar, but much faster and diverse. The claymore spoils you a bit IMO.

The best use for the zwei is the double hand strong attack, you mostly stun anything with the proper timing, even bosses. While the claymore is more versatile requires more mobility to get the best use of that weapon.

You just need the large ember from the depths to get it to +10 which is fine for those two.
Ok, yeah I already have that and I'll try getting it to +10, thanks ;)
The best use for the zwei is the double hand strong attack, you mostly stun anything with the proper timing, even bosses. While the claymore is more versatile requires more mobility to get the best use of that weapon.

I'll have to try that too, sounds good!

Donos

Warms my heart seeing so much Claymore love. Best weapon for me in DeS and DaS (i'm a str guy)
Tried the zweihander a bit but it's way to slow, clunky and eats stamina like hot cookies.

Meanwhile i gave my Claymore +15 a name and we chat together while slaying fools.

Such a nice moveset. Only bummer is that from software changed the two handed R2 attack from a straight overhead (like zweihander) in DeS to a sideway slash in Dark Souls which is not really usefull.
Also the "swep the leg" move after rolling got removed and the attack after rolling has a big delay now.

But the one handed R1 thrust has insane reach, almost like a spear.

Top Bottom