• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Any tips for the knight guys with the GIANT aarows in anor?

I just ran and blocked, worked fine. You get knocked back a bit by the arrows, but that was no big issue. Then I just ran up and killed them like any other knight. But if you're a light character with low poise that might not work very well.

Kyzon

Run up to their face and parry them.

Their arrows bounce me in diagonal directions :/

I just ran and blocked, worked fine. You get knocked back a bit by the arrows, but that was no big issue. Then I just ran up and killed them like any other knight. But if you're a light character with low poise that might not work very well.

If I didn't fly in weird directions that would be great. I'm gonna try out the wolf ring now

Edit: nvm. I over encumbered myself, walked right up to him. Tried to escape and he jumped off

Blinck

S&O are not challenging, just bullshit. Anyway doesn't O drop the Leo ring? Can't seem to find it.

He drops if you kill him last!

Also, their not bullshit but one of the best bosses in the game :D
Although yes, sometimes there are a few glitches in the fight, specially Oronie

Donos

Better buy a hundred. Those things have infinite utility.

Haven't used one so far (80 hours) but everytime i look an area up on the wiki after i beat the boss/searched every corner for loot, the poison arrow is recommended for almost every tougher enemy and some bosses :lol.

Probably going to use them more when i'm going to try a sorcerer/mage/pyromancer walkthrough but as Str build, i use arrows just to lure tougher enemies away 1on1.

Are the poison arrows good for Hellkite Dragon?. Only enemy who gives me trouble so far in Melee close combat. Don't want to chip him away with arrows for 15 minutes like most Dragons in DeS.

Also fook U FromSoftware for putting a small pit right before the (dlc loot/area)
Guardian Helmet in Royal Woods
. Fell into my death and tried to rush there again, then cut a corner to tight (entrance to
Royal Wood
right after the bridge and died again from falling. Lost 13 humanity -_-. Everytime you think it's safe, these games give you the middle finger.

Ruuppa

Haven't used one so far (80 hours) but everytime i look an area up on the wiki after i beat the boss/searched every corner for loot, the poison arrow is recommended for almost every tougher enemy and some bosses :lol.

Probably going to use them more when i'm going to try a sorcerer/mage/pyromancer walkthrough but as Str build, i use arrows just to lure tougher enemies away 1on1.

Are the poison arrows good for Hellkite Dragon?. Only enemy who gives me trouble so far in Melee close combat. Don't want to chip him away with arrows for 15 minutes like most Dragons in DeS.

Also fook U FromSoftware for putting a small pit right before the (dlc loot/area)
Guardian Helmet in Royal Woods
. Fell into my death and tried to rush there again, then cut a corner to tight (entrance to
Royal Wood
right after the bridge. Lost 13 humanity -_-. Everytime you think it's safe, these games give you the middle finger.

You can use a certain tactic to kill the Hellkite Drake with one arrow. But you can also plink it to death from 100% safety with just wooden arrows if you want.

Poison Arrows are really useful at the start of Demon Ruins, with the damn that break your stuff, and with the Silver Knights shooting trees at you in Anor Londo. They're also good for cheesing a lot of tough to moderate fights, like Lautrec. You can sub them with Poison Throwing Knives, but the range isn' great on those.

It's always a good thing to have some handy, when you simply can't be arsed to kill an enemy in the normal manner. On my first couple of runs, I used them extensively to farm Dragon Scales; Low risk strategy, if time-consuming.

He drops if you kill him last!

Also, their not bullshit but one of the best bosses in the game :D
Although yes, sometimes there are a few glitches in the fight, specially Oronie

Yeah, killed supersized Ornstein but the ring is no where to be found.

What frustrated me were Ornstein's attacks going through Smough. He would also go around columns with his charge move.

Mistel

Banned
Veterans: Dragon King Greataxe or Demon's Greataxe? Basically, great AoE vs sweet uppercut?
Uppercut plus the scaling for me personally.
Warms my heart seeing so much Claymore love. Best weapon for me in DeS and DaS (i'm a str guy)
Tried the zweihander a bit but it's way to slow, clunky and eats stamina like hot cookies.
Once you get used to using a Zweihander it is a good weapon.

Thrak360

Neo Member
Well I made it to Anor Londo, which I guess is something. lol at the archers. I didn't stay there long because I talked to the thing behind me, and warped myself back. But that's fine, I wanted to do a little farming and upgrading.

I think I pretty much cleared out Sen's Fortresss. Took awhile going through all the boulder paths and switching up the mechanism. But seems like I must have gotten everything. Only thing I knowingly skipped in the level, was a lower chamber off to the side that had two Titanite Demons. Died a few times there, before deciding not to bother with it for now.

So does the giant who drops the boulders ever drop a titanite chunk? Or since he respawns, does he never drop a chunk?

Anyway, went back to farm the leeches, needed a few extra shards to get the Balder Shield up to +10, to compliment the Claymore +10. Is it just me or are the large shards harder to get than green titanite? I swear, farming from slimes or leeches I get green 3 out of 4 drops.

Played around in Valley of Drakes for the first time. I knew that thing wasn't just dead! Killed it on second try.

Back at Firelink, actually went through the graveyard to pick up items there. And now I'm thinking of going through New Londo Ruins. That's where to go to ascend further? Thinking of upgrading Claymore some more.

I encountered Rickert at the start. I had him upgrade a +5 Kite shield to a magic shield. I couldn't figure out much reason not to - once I replaced the Kite shield with the Balder shield, it seemed to be obsolete. But what did I actually do? If I'm reading the stat screen correctly, a magic shield just adds some magic damage if the shield is used to parry/attack?

Soulhouf

The merchant in Sen's Fortress sells large titanite shards. Don't bother farming them anymore.

Upgrading shields with magic will add a little magic block percentage but it resets the stability so it's useless most of the time.

Donos

The merchant in Sen's Fortress sells large titanite shards. Don't bother farming them anymore.

Didn't know that but the (Anor Londo npc spoiler)
Giant smith
in Anor Londo sells them too.

Well I made it to Anor Londo, which I guess is something. lol at the archers. I didn't stay there long because I talked to the thing behind me, and warped myself back. But that's fine, I wanted to do a little farming and upgrading.

I think I pretty much cleared out Sen's Fortresss. Took awhile going through all the boulder paths and switching up the mechanism. But seems like I must have gotten everything. Only thing I knowingly skipped in the level, was a lower chamber off to the side that had two Titanite Demons. Died a few times there, before deciding not to bother with it for now.

So does the giant who drops the boulders ever drop a titanite chunk? Or since he respawns, does he never drop a chunk?

Anyway, went back to farm the leeches, needed a few extra shards to get the Balder Shield up to +10, to compliment the Claymore +10. Is it just me or are the large shards harder to get than green titanite? I swear, farming from slimes or leeches I get green 3 out of 4 drops.

Played around in Valley of Drakes for the first time. I knew that thing wasn't just dead! Killed it on second try.

Back at Firelink, actually went through the graveyard to pick up items there. And now I'm thinking of going through New Londo Ruins. That's where to go to ascend further? Thinking of upgrading Claymore some more.

I encountered Rickert at the start. I had him upgrade a +5 Kite shield to a magic shield. I couldn't figure out much reason not to - once I replaced the Kite shield with the Balder shield, it seemed to be obsolete. But what did I actually do? If I'm reading the stat screen correctly, a magic shield just adds some magic damage if the shield is used to parry/attack?

Claymore + Balder shield is my gear of choice too. Don't bother adding magic to shields. Just take one of the better magic shields with you and upgrade them.
Crest Shield is pretty good and looks also nice.

I love the look (and sound) of the eastern armor. Probably going to end the game with it. I just change Helmet, leggings and gloves around. Leggings and gloves with best stats and helmet with the best look. Rocking the Silver Knight helmet now.

Tarkus

Well I made it to Anor Londo, which I guess is something. lol at the archers. I didn't stay there long because I talked to the thing behind me, and warped myself back. But that's fine, I wanted to do a little farming and upgrading..........So does the giant who drops the boulders ever drop a titanite chunk? Or since he respawns, does he never drop a chunk?
You just left one of the best soul farming areas in the game. If your weapon is decently upgraded, you can take on Anor Londo.

You also regularly get chunks from two large foes in AL if you wear the gold serpent ring. AL also has a great blacksmith that can upgrade your weapons and sells good stuff.

Oh, and make sure you have the large ember.

Thrak360

Neo Member
Thanks guys.

- Yeah I saw the Sen's merchant selling large shards - just didn't want to spend 4000 each. But in retrospect, probably easier to farm souls and buy the shards, rather than farm the shards directly. I hadn't thought of that. lol

- The shield I upgraded down the magic path will get bottomless boxed, seems like that was a wasted experiment. My Balder is +10, only upgraded shield. But I keep Crest, Dragon Crest, Eagle, and Spider on-hand for specialized circumstances. I just have not decided if it is worthile to upgrade any of those.

- Of course I have the Large Ember already. I'm looking for the next ember to get to +11. Hence I think New Londo Ruins is where I need to be.

- I've yet to upgrade any armor. I used Pyromancer default through Blighttown. And since then, have used the Crimson set. My equipment load is something like 20/90 with Havel's ring. Been staying nimble.

- Other than that, pyromancy glove is +5. Did that upgrade after Blighttown, where I collected quite a few options for attunement slots.

Tarkus

Thanks guys.

- Yeah I saw the Sen's merchant selling large shards - just didn't want to spend 4000 each. But in retrospect, probably easier to farm souls and buy the shards, rather than farm the shards directly. I hadn't thought of that. lol

- The shield I upgraded down the magic path will get bottomless boxed, seems like that was a wasted experiment. My Balder is +10, only upgraded shield. But I keep Crest, Dragon Crest, Eagle, and Spider on-hand for specialized circumstances. I just have not decided if it is worthile to upgrade any of those.

- Of course I have the Large Ember already. I'm looking for the next ember to get to +11. Hence I think New Londo Ruins is where I need to be.

- I've yet to upgrade any armor. I used Pyromancer default through Blighttown. And since then, have used the Crimson set. My equipment load is something like 20/90 with Havel's ring. Been staying nimble.

- Other than that, pyromancy glove is +5. Did that upgrade after Blighttown, where I collected quite a few options for attunement slots.
A Claymore +10 will EASILY get you through AL. New Londo is a frustrating place with no bonfires. Go for it if you want. Make sure you have plenty of transient curses and empty your souls out before you go. You will need to be a murderer to get to the ember at this point.

Your crimson armor is one of the best light armors. Upgrades with twinkling titanite.

Thanks guys.

Later on Anor Londo you can farm the giants knights for souls and go to the blacksmith, buy stones and go farming again.

Ruuppa

Later on Anor Londo you can farm the giants knights for souls and go to the blacksmith, buy stones and go farming again.

Plus it's one of the better places to get summoned for co-op, so you can get lots of souls through that as well. And Sunlight Medals too.

I just spent some time screwing around, trying to find ways to 1-shot Gwyn.

I wanted to do it as Tarkus, 'cause he's the best. But his Greatsword didn't have enough pop in it to finish him off. I was like 1 1/2 ticks away! A Havel setup didn't have enough either. I ended up using an Elite Knight/Greataxe combo. Managed to get it done with tons of damage buffs, and a crazy amount of attempts.

Kyzon

My head is a dragon. Any use for this other than very slowly killing enemies? Also, I think I'm in front of Smough and Orstein's room. I'm probably under powered for this fight with my Black Knight Sword +2 and Vanilla Dragon Tooth

My head is a dragon. Any use for this other than very slowly killing enemies? Also, I think I'm in front of Smough and Orstein's room. I'm probably under powered for this fight with my Black Knight Sword +2 and Vanilla Dragon Tooth

Dragon covenant? unlock the full set.

Tarkus

Farm some souls in your immediate area and buy some twinkling titanite from the blacksmith to upgrade your sword. You can take them with a +2 if you want a challenge.

GAF. I need an fresh idea for a NG playthrough.

I was thinking of going full on TARKUS mode, or possibly a SMOUGH setup. I've never used heavy armor before, so I wanted to try a greatshield and fat-roll.

I'll be playing on PC, and if I decide to do a TARKUS play-through, I'd need someone to hook me up via a trade in Firelink. You can get the full set in Anor-Londo near the Painted World entrance. And of course, would have to be a low-ish SL.

Got the Claymore +10... Still getting my ass handed by O&S. Urgh.

Kite them, keep them separated from each other and use the pillars to lure Onsteins away from smoug. You can also use Solaire as a tank for smoug

Yup from my time stuck down with the Hydra. How does one do that?

You need dragon scales via fighitng other covenant players with the dragon item he gives you or farm them from the drakes in the drakes valley and give them to the covenant leader, it gives you the full set and more dragon abilities.

Mistel

Banned
GAF. I need an fresh idea for a NG playthrough.

I was thinking of going full on TARKUS mode, or possibly a SMOUGH setup. I've never used heavy armor before, so I wanted to try a greatshield and fat-roll.

I'll be playing on PC, and if I decide to do a TARKUS play-through, I'd need someone to hook me up via a trade in Firelink. You can get the full set in Anor-Londo near the Painted World entrance. And of course, would have to be a low-ish SL.
If your doing a NG playthrough you could pick up the sets before you've started? You can still have mid roll with full black iron armor along with the matching greatsword and greatshield for Tarkus with both equip load boosting rings at 36 endurance. And with the required 34 strength for the the black iron greatshield you can get all of that at lowest level 49 with the warrior class.

Smough's stuff is pretty much the same other than needing higher strength to single hand his hammer at 58 and a bit more endurance if you want to mid roll.

Kyzon

Kite them, keep them separated from each other and use the pillars to lure Onsteins away from smoug. You can also use Solaire as a tank for smoug

You need dragon scales via fighitng other covenant players with the dragon item he gives you or farm them from the drakes in the drakes valley and give them to the covenant leader, it gives you the full set and more dragon abilities.

Oh, thanks. Sounds simple enough.

Ruuppa

If you see Smough lower his hammer, immediately put a pillar in between you two, or back off with your shield up if there are no convenient pillars. That charge-attack has huge range, and can one-shot you if it hits you full-on. Dodging it is finicky at best.

Kyzon

Heh heh. Just got wrecked by Orstein and Smough. Didn't feel like I did to bad though. Took smough down to under half health, then got comboed to death.

Edit: Beat them second time though lol.

Aurongel

If you see Smough lower his hammer, immediately put a pillar in between you two, or back off with your shield up if there are no convenient pillars. That charge-attack has huge range, and can one-shot you if it hits you full-on. Dodging it is finicky at best.

I usually backpedal from his steamrolling hammer attack and then do a reverse roll when he lifts it up at the end of the rush. Dodge it every time.

Anyway, I just beat Bed of Chaos on my second try and Nito on my first (he gets shredded by the silver knight spear). Four Kings on NG+ however is MASSIVELY cheap. His first clone spawns almost immediately after engaging the first.

Kyzon

Just used the Soapstone for the first time. Pretty nifty. I helped some guy take on O and S and got a ton of souls as reward.

Edit: I have this Dragon Fist (literally). Is this a bad weapon? The Shoryuken looks cool imo

Chitown B

anyone level 75-113 able to help me with Knight's Honor achieve? I need the Priscilla's Dagger, the Moonlight unique weapons and chaos/fire crafted ones. I can give them back right after.

On X360. Thanks!

Anustart

Hmph. Tried to get back into this to finally finish it seeing as I got a new gpu and a controller finally but...

Game runs like shit now, looks like an insane amount of motion blur is being applied and the 360 controller doesn't work :(

Aurongel

Hmph. Tried to get back into this to finally finish it seeing as I got a new gpu and a controller finally but...

Game runs like shit now, looks like an insane amount of motion blur is being applied and the 360 controller doesn't work :(
DSfix man.

Also, I'm never going to beat Four Kings solo on NG+ with this build so it looks like I'm done with my second playthrough. See y'all in the Bloodbourne thread.

Divius

Just used the Soapstone for the first time. Pretty nifty. I helped some guy take on O and S and got a ton of souls as reward.

Edit: I have this Dragon Fist (literally). Is this a bad weapon? The Shoryuken looks cool imo
Jolly co-operation is the best!

Dragon Fist is fun but not very effective.

Such a nice moveset. Only bummer is that from software changed the two handed R2 attack from a straight overhead (like zweihander) in DeS to a sideway slash in Dark Souls which is not really usefull.

The Claymore 2h R2 is useful for crowd control and dead angling in PvP.

Donos

The Claymore 2h R2 is useful for crowd control and dead angling in PvP.

I don't play PVP (yet) and for crowd control it's too risky for me because the R2 eats a lot of stamina and the range is really short. I rather change to one-handed and use the R1 sweeps with R2 thrusts to manage a bunch of charging enemies.

Top Bottom