• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Tarkus

I don't play PVP (yet) and for crowd control it's too risky for me because the R2 eats a lot of stamina and the range is really short. I rather change to one-handed and use the R1 sweeps with R2 thrusts to manage a bunch of charging enemies.
Try your one-handed R2 with the Leo ring. GG

Anustart

Thought I remembered reading people saying the centipede dragon was a cake walk. I can't see fucking shit during this fight, and one wrong step and I'm dead in the lava after .2 seconds.

Kyzon

Is pinwheel like a joke boss? I fell down the catacombs and landed in front of his fog gate. Walked in and killed him in maybe 30 seconds. He didn't even hit me.

I feel like I also skipped a large portion of that place.

Is pinwheel like a joke boss? I fell down the catacombs and landed in front of his fog gate. Walked in and killed him in maybe 30 seconds. He didn't even hit me.

I feel like I also skipped a large portion of that place.

Pinwheel is supposed to be a necromancer absorbing nito's power but you interrupt it in the process.

Kyzon

Pinwheel is supposed to be a necromancer absorbing nito's power but you interrupt it in the process.

I have no idea who nito is lol. I literally fell from near the top and bounced slowly down to his chamber. I was gonna make my way back up, but I saw an army of rolling skeletons and said fuck it lol

Inskipp

Is pinwheel like a joke boss?
Basically yes.
I have no idea who nito is lol.
Nito is the menacing skeleton pile you see in the intro video.
WX6rbsZ.jpg

Tarkus

I have no idea who nito is lol. I literally fell from near the top and bounced slowly down to his chamber. I was gonna make my way back up, but I saw an army of rolling skeletons and said fuck it lol
He's the most menacing-looking boss in the game but...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Thought I remembered reading people saying the centipede dragon was a cake walk. I can't see fucking shit during this fight, and one wrong step and I'm dead in the lava after .2 seconds.

Don't read this if you don't want help, but you can make that fight much more manageable by
cutting off his tail (and then killing it, as it will become a mini-enemy of its own), which will give you a ring that lets you walk on lava without taking much damage. Right when you come into the room, go right and follow what little solid ground there is until you're at the center of the room. It's much easier to get behind him here. Once you have the ring you can use all the available area without having to worry about the lava too much.

Don't read this if you don't want help, but you can make that fight much more manageable by
cutting off his tail (and then killing it, as it will become a mini-enemy of its own), which will give you a ring that lets you walk on lava without taking much damage. Right when you come into the room, go right and follow what little solid ground there is until you're at the center of the room. It's much easier to get behind him here. Once you have the ring you can use all the available area without having to worry about the lava too much.

Do it fast or it can regen its tail.

Sami+

Don't forget you can summon Solaire as well.

Chitown B

finally got help getting the last of the weapons achieves last night. Now I just need the chaos fire whip, the tempest, and then the darkmoon blade from reprisals. And three miracles from Rhea.

Also need to join the darkwraiths. Then I'm 1000G

Tarkus

Can't be more of a pushover than pinwheel. I don't think it's even possible. I actually have no idea of pinwheel's attack patterns :/
He
or his friends
will probably kill you a few times if you don't use a guide. Once you figure out the territory and his attacks, it's cake.

Kyzon

He
or his friends
will probably kill you a few times if you don't use a guide. Once you figure out the territory and his attacks, it's cake.

I expect to just walk in there and stomp on his face
As I "mostly" falsely expected with every other boss
. I'll let you know what happens when I go through later today.

Donos

Second try at Manus and i got him down to half of his health. Claymore +15 is doing pretty good damage (around 400 dmg) but he is soooo agressive. I can almost feel the cracks in my Balder shield +12 when he is pounding away on it. Had more time to breath in the fight with O+S compared to him.
And i love it.

Edit: how many moves and tricks has this fucker -_-. LotR Balrog + DeS Flame Lurker on crack = Manus. I think i will save him for the weekend. This could take a while.

Kyzon

I just got a Gravelord Sword and it is the most badass looking thing on the planet. Is it a viable weapon though? I lurve it.

Tarkus

I just got a Gravelord Sword and it is the most badass looking thing on the planet. Is it a viable weapon though? I lurve it.
I liked it a lot. Its moveset is good and strikes quickly. The R1-R1-R2 combo is nice. Any greatsword that thrusts is always a positive, especially in tight quarters. It can cause a toxin status effect, but I've never noticed it being helpful. Its got a high base damage but poor scaling, E/E. The thrust attacks when countering should work with the Leo Ring if you have that. Upgrades with Demon Titanite.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man, I really missed out on my first run by using the Cheese Sword. Much more enjoyable to pick a weapon and just upgrade that sucker.
I think not being stupid and keeping armour and shield upgraded instead of wasting my souls on stats is helping a lot too.

Tarkus

Man, I really missed out on my first run by using the Cheese Sword. Much more enjoyable to pick a weapon and just upgrade that sucker.
I think not being stupid and keeping armour and shield upgraded instead of wasting my souls on stats is helping a lot too.
Which one is the Cheese Sword? Drake?

Anustart

Downed the Centipede Dragon today, still couldn't see shit, but a couple jumping swings of my axe blindly managed to drop him. Now I can't traverse lost izalith because the lava glow is out of this world.

Kyzon

I liked it a lot. Its moveset is good and strikes quickly. The R1-R1-R2 combo is nice. Any greatsword that thrusts is always a positive, especially in tight quarters. It can cause a toxin status effect, but I've never noticed it being helpful. Its got a high base damage but poor scaling, E/E. The thrust attacks when countering should work with the Leo Ring if you have that. Upgrades with Demon Titanite.

By counter do you mean the parry or is there some other move I'm thinking about?
This sword takes some actual using to... well use lol. I've been just about 1 shotting most enemies with the Black Knight Sword upgraded to +5. lol that jump slash.

Tarkus

By counter do you mean the parry or is there some other move I'm thinking about?
This sword takes some actual using to... well use lol. I've been just about 1 shotting most enemies with the Black Knight Sword upgraded to +5. lol that jump slash.
It's not parry or backstab. There's a certain amount time when an enemy is in a vulnerable position, where if you hit them, it deals extra damage. 20% normally. Vulnerable positions are mid-swing of an attack, healing, poise broken, shield broken, or from behind. This only works with weapons that have thrust attacks. Any time you trade blows with someone simultaneously, you should probably do counter damage. If the enemy's poise is low, you can cancel their attack because of "poise break." Your Gravelord Sword should be able to do that with most hollows and weaker enemies. As far as I know, the counter mechanic works for all enemies including bosses.

With the Leo Ring, you get a 40% boost to counter damage for a total of approximately 60% on top of your weapons normal damage.

The combat system is quite complex. I hope I explained that clearly and correctly.

Came across this video while searching on why I didn't receive the Leo Ring (Still don't know). It that does a good job of explaining a counter attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X34Txlcgrlo

Tarkus

I kick myself for not knowing about Crystal Magic Weapon in NG. I always wondered how people were applying that particular buff to their weapons during PvP. I'm currently wondering if I should boost intelligence for it. I'm only at INT 10 now in NG+.

Kyzon

It's not parry or backstab. There's a certain amount time when an enemy is in a vulnerable position, where if you hit them, it deals extra damage. 20% normally. Vulnerable positions are mid-swing of an attack, healing, poise broken, shield broken, or from behind. This only works with weapons that have thrust attacks. Any time you trade blows with someone simultaneously, you should probably do counter damage. If the enemy's poise is low, you can cancel their attack because of "poise break." Your Gravelord Sword should be able to do that with most hollows and weaker enemies. As far as I know, the counter mechanic works for all enemies including bosses.

With the Leo Ring, you get a 40% boost to counter damage for a total of approximately 60% on top of your weapons normal damage.

The combat system is quite complex. I hope I explained that clearly and correctly.

That's pretty insane then! Thanks.

Came across this video while searching on why I didn't receive the Leo Ring (Still don't know). It that does a good job of explaining a counter attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X34Txlcgrlo
I'll give that a look right now.

So I just mad Anor Dark. Any negative consequences for that? It looks cool enough.

Kyzon

Blade of the dark moon invasions pretty much it really. Aggroes the fire keeper at the only bonfire you can spawn at in the area once you die.

Yeah, I self defensed the fire keeper. Flask + 3 >_> You can only spawn at that bonfire? I thought I could spawn at the one in front of the giant lady and the other two as well.

JediLink

GAF, I suddenly feel like replaying Dark Souls again. Recommend me a build! I've dabbled in pretty much all the magic in the game, but the only weapon I've ever used is the Balder Side Sword. (I actually pretty much exclusively use straight swords in every Souls game.)

Tarkus

GAF, I suddenly feel like replaying Dark Souls again. Recommend me a build! I've dabbled in pretty much all the magic in the game, but the only weapon I've ever used is the Balder Side Sword. (I actually pretty much exclusively use straight swords in every Souls game.)
50 Str so you wield all the big ugly weapons. 61 End so you can fast roll with Giant's gauntlets, leggings, and helm with only Havel's ring.

JediLink

It somehow slipped my mind that the first part of the Dark Souls 2 DLC just came out. I guess I'm playing that instead of DaS1.

Kyzon

Not hard but the best looking. He should have been on the cover

Yeah, he's pretty badass looking. I'm trying to see where I'm to go next. I don't think I wanna go down to new londo and deal with the ghosts yet, and I think there was a hole by Nito's room that I didn't take

Tarkus

Yeah, he's pretty badass looking. I'm trying to see where I'm to go next. I don't think I wanna go down to new londo and deal with the ghosts yet, and I think there was a hole by Nito's room that I didn't take
What did you do with the lord vessel?

NM: it's probably too late

Tarkus

Blasphemy! Praise the Claymore. Still have to beat Four Kings in NG. Not before i beat that bully Manus though.
In NG, I had no trouble beating them on the first try with our glorious Claymore. I didn't understand what people were talking about when they said they're hard. In NG+, they get a ridiculous HP boost and damage boost. I've got to try some different tactics like resin and power within, neither of which I have any experience with.

eot

Banned

Maybe it's what you meant, but you get counter damage with all weapons, it's just that the Leo Ring only gives a damage boost to thrusting attacks.

I've got the claymore and while it is amazing at PvE, PVP I definitely feel too slow. In my first three invasions, I lost to red phantoms who just rolling around constantly with daggers. I would swing once and they would roll behind me and backstab me to death.

I only recently got around this by not locking on to them. I would try and predict their roll and swing in that direction. The great thing about the claymore is that unless they have the wolf ring that increases their poise, you can just break their stance with one swing. Hit them again and then follow it up with a two handed strike, that has killed the last two phantoms that engaged me.

One thing I've noticed is that sometimes the phantoms seem to hit me, even though their animation didn’t actually touch me. I was vs a phantom with a hand axe and he seemed to be hitting me even though he was swinging in another direction.

Also, I know the etiquette in PvP is to not sue healing items, but screw that. If I'm the host and I just reached the bombfire after running past the two black knight archers in Anor Londo and I can't activate because some ass just invades me, then he can go **** himself, I am using as many healing items as I want.

Tarkus

Also, I know the etiquette in PvP is to not sue healing items, but screw that. If I'm the host and I just reached the bombfire after running past the two black knight archers in Anor Londo and I can't activate because some ass just invades me, then he can go **** himself, I am using as many healing items as I want.
There's not much etiquette anymore unless you're at a PvP hotspot like the burg or oolacile. A lot of people who invade me in other places will run away to use a humanity if I'm beating them. Cunts

Thrak360

Neo Member
Take it real slow there... these ghosts like to gangbang.
Yeah I've rethought my idea of doing New Londo after Sen's, as others here cautioned. I'll save it for later and take my +10 Claymore back to Anor Londo. Don't want to use up all my transient curses.

Before going back to Anor Londo, I'm thinking I want to find a better bow. I'm stil using the Short Bow I bought from Undead Burg merchant. Never upgraded it. I'm told there's bows in Darkroot Garden or Basin. Is it worth looking for at this point? Or should I just press on with default Short Bow? I'm at Andre right now.

Top Bottom