• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Tarkus

Yeah I've rethought my idea of doing New Londo after Sen's, as others here cautioned. I'll save it for later and take my +10 Claymore back to Anor Londo. Don't want to use up all my transient curses.

Before going back to Anor Londo, I'm thinking I want to find a better bow. I'm stil using the Short Bow I bought from Undead Burg merchant. Never upgraded it. I'm told there's bows in Darkroot Garden or Basin. Is it worth looking for at this point? Or should I just press on with default Short Bow? I'm at Andre right now.
There's a Black Bow of Pharis in the garden beyond the sealed door. I think there's also a ladder in the basin that leads you up to the garden but I've never searched for it. You probably would have to deal with hydra before finding it. Buy the Crest of Artorias from Andre for the easy way. Either way, prepare for a fight. The Black Bow has great Dex scaling.

Thrak360

Neo Member
There's a Black Bow of Pharis in the garden beyond the sealed door. I think there's also a ladder in the basin that leads you up to the garden but I've never searched for it. You probably would have to deal with hydra before finding it. Buy the Crest of Artorias from Andre for the easy way. Either way, prepare for a fight. The Black Bow has great Dex scaling.
Thanks I'll poke around the forest a bit. I bought that Crest from Andre earlier on, when I had accumulated a lot of souls. Might as well use it and see what lies beyond the door...

Donos

Yeah I've rethought my idea of doing New Londo after Sen's, as others here cautioned. I'll save it for later and take my +10 Claymore back to Anor Londo. Don't want to use up all my transient curses.

Before going back to Anor Londo, I'm thinking I want to find a better bow. I'm stil using the Short Bow I bought from Undead Burg merchant. Never upgraded it. I'm told there's bows in Darkroot Garden or Basin. Is it worth looking for at this point? Or should I just press on with default Short Bow? I'm at Andre right now.

There is a Longbow in Darkroot Garden. When you enter the Garden keep right. Then there is a slope/path leading down where you can find the bow. There is a black knight somewhere there. No need to fight Hydra or open sealed doors. Got it pretty early around slvl 14 thanks to a tip of a gaffer. That's the first and last bow i used so far (you need 14 dextery i think). Got it to +9 and it's enough

Kaleinc

Banned
I don't play PVP (yet) and for crowd control it's too risky for me because the R2 eats a lot of stamina and the range is really short. I rather change to one-handed and use the R1 sweeps with R2 thrusts to manage a bunch of charging enemies.
Two hand running R1 as well as two hand backstep R1 destroys all the turtlers in PVP and is quite handy in PVE.
PS. Zwei is good for builds with infinite stamina and poise lol.

Chitown B

You can farm them from the crow harpy thingies in painted world. Max out your item discovery and you should get a fair few of them.

yeah thanks, that's the canned response I get every time I post this request on every board...... but I'd like to trade for them if possible so I don't have to go through the painted world again on NG+ and I can just put this game to bed and move to DSII.

Thanks!

Donos

New day , new try for Manus (nr. 3). Got a new hilt for my Claymore, so i'm ready to rock.

Come at me bro.

Edit: He came at me hard.... and said i'm not his bro ;_;

I think i'm going to upgrade my Balder Shield to +15. (at +12 right now) before trying him again. I also have only shitty rings for this fights. Going to look up what i'm missing.

New day , new try for Manus (nr. 3). Got a new hilt for my Claymore, so i'm ready to rock.

Come at me bro.

Edit: He came at me hard.... and said i'm not his bro ;_;

I think i'm going to upgrade my Balder Shield to +15. (at +12 right now) before trying him again. I also have only shitty rings for this fights. Going to look up what i'm missing.

careful on his last phase, he starts spamming dark spells

Donos

Woohoo. 4th try was the right one.
Cloranthy Ring + Balder Shield +14 and a quick swich to the Crest Shield +5 for his Dark Magic.
His magic attacks are still a bit overkill. One is a quick hip shot straight to you with little preparation and another has homing stuff coming from every angle. Crest shield blocked only some and the rest from behind took almost all my vitality.

Still favourite boss from Dark Souls. Very aggressive,gives you little time to prepare/heal/buff, has a huge range and dozen different attacks. Also no cheesy blind spot like some others.

I guess he is probably easier as magic/ranged build.

Lets see what the dragon outside has to offer.

careful on his last phase, he starts spamming dark spells

Yep, in the third fight, he spammed his magic shit at least 5 times in a row. Had no chance. In the last fight he only attacked two times in a row with magic and i blocked the first completely. Then he only used it from time to time in between his melee attacks.

TnK

How do I transfer my non-online save to my online one? When I do that, it tells me that the data is corrupt. Is there a way to over ride that?

Anyone else never notice that you can see Solaire and the bonfire through the window in Anor Londo on the ledge with the archers?

http://youtu.be/RI17_2_rkNg?t=8m30s

I have thousands of hours in this game and never noticed it, yet my girlfriend notices it on her first time playing through the area. I'm starting to think that maybe women are just inherently better at Dark Souls than men.

Chitown B

wait for a discount price? Dark souls 2 is worth it, you can wait for the goty edition anyway

Honestly I actually bought the steelbook version on launch day. But since I was waiting to 1000G DS1 before starting it, it's been sitting there unplayed. And since I'll only ever complete it once, I might as well wait for the best console version available. We'll see - I have a ton of other games to finish as well

butman

OK.

I'm at Anor Londo, at the place where you must go up and two big ass archers are in your way, and i must kill them.
The problem that when i go for one the other pierce me on the back. And when i go front of the their arrows push me back and i fall down.

Question: I'm really thinking that i must use magic in this part of the game, soul arrows, piromancy or wathever to kill this motherfuckers.
It's really necessary if i'm a warrior (shield -sword) that i train magic and raise up faith and intelligence? It's a must to end the game? Because if it is, i must start to level up this two...

OK.

I'm at Anor Londo, at the place where you must go up and two big ass archers are in your way, and i must kill them.
The problem that when i go for one the other pierce me on the back. And when i go front of the their arrows push me back and i fall down.

Question: I'm really thinking that i must use magic in this part of the game, soul arrows, piromancy or wathever to kill this motherfuckers.
It's really necessary if i'm a warrior (shield -sword) that i train magic and raise up faith and intelligence? It's a must to end the game? Because if it is, i must start to level up this two...

You only need to take down the guy on the right to advance to the right where he was, the is a huge pillar to take a breath before reaching them. You can use a bow and shoot them poision arrows to make your life easier.

Mistel

Banned
OK.

No it is not nesscessary at all to kill the anor londo archers. You could shield bash them off etc. There's several ways to get past them as a melee character.

Mistel

Banned
yeah if you're good enough at parrying I guess and aren't afraid to run around with zero armor. Many things are POSSIBLE to do but not that probable.
You don't even need to strip down to do it just wear light armor. That was just an example to prove that you can in fact do it.

Tarkus

Roll through the arrows, run to the right only, block when he pulls his sword and then kick him off. Up+Normal attack button

Khronico

Finally beat O&S on NG+ with 20 Estus Flasks and 5 Humanity. Oh the joy that overcomes thee. Holy shit.

I'm on my 4th character playthrough (str build with zwei but light armor for fastroll) and just beat them this morning. I had to summon two heavy armor players to aggro smough while I killed ornstein. Barely survived the battle because my controller died RIGHT when the super smough cutscene ended. I had to hang back during that fight since one hit would kill me. My hands were literally shaking at the end. Such an intense fight.

Chitown B

first time I got through the archers I missed the bonfire inside the building and tried to run down to open the big doors but died. I was SOOOOOO pissed.

butman

If you are fast enough you can go kamikazi and slam them with your body

The time you have between the last arrow that he throws to you just before arriving to the ledge and the time that you have to get to him before he throws you the next one is ephemeral.

I was thinking if i can roll forward to dodge that arrow...

Using - Heavy armor (the one you get after killing all the white ninja guard after you make fall off the lamp), Black Knight Shield and (Gargoyle Tail or Zweihander)

I don't want to see the video. I'm anti-Let's play... audience

Kyzon

Just got to Lost Izalith, and immediately left.

I saw a bunch of butts walking around, and decided I have better things to do than clean the shitter.

Tarkus

Just got to Lost Izalith, and immediately left.

I saw a bunch of butts walking around, and decided I have better things to do than clean the shitter.
Lol, I really disliked Lost Izalith. If by butts, you mean the statues, you can just run by all of those guys. I had more trouble with the prowling demon there than I did with most bosses. Then the boss. Total frustration at first, then...

Kyzon

Lol, I really disliked Lost Izalith. If by butts, you mean the statues, you can just run by all of those guys. I had more trouble with the prowling demon there than I did with most bosses. Then the boss. Total frustration at first, then...

Literal butts.
dragon butts were everywhere

The Hot Prowler only gave me trouble the first time because I didn't have time to equip my katana. Second round though, I walked in and bled him to death. Then the actual boss after it killed me once, then I came back and gave him a bleeding the second time as well. Now..... butts. I think Imma go to ghost town or something instead.

Nyoro SF

The easy way to beat the archer(s):

You only have to take down the guy on the right, if the guy on the left hits you with an arrow you should still be OK, knocked into the wall but not off of it (as long as you've reached the edge). I've actually had a scenario where getting hit by the guy on the left saved me from dying lol

Walk to the guy on the right and roll under his arrows. Get close enough that he draws his sword out in place of his bow. Immediately run away like a bitch.

CPU Black Knight can't handle the ledge tactics and promptly falls off killing himself.

I learned this tactic entirely through trial and error but now that I know it I haven't died there since.

Tarkus

It's a hard life being a sentient backside of a rotting dragon that tore off.
I've gathered from your last couple of avatars that you have a thing for redheads, yes?
image.php

Remyzero

Can I say how legit this game is? First play through along with DLC content took me about 65 hours to complete. This game has a very good combat system and the story is left to interpretation so many can theorize.

Best memories will be cutting off Kalameet's tail and when I beat Ors & Smo, Manus, and Gwyn. I killed Solaire as well :( I did not know to save him....don't be mad at me Sunbros

Top Bottom