• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Tarkus

My best memory has just happened recently.

I've been using the red eye orb constantly for the past 2 weeks and left as many bosses open as possible so I can still be invaded wherever I may go, i.e., maximum PvP. I'm not planning on progressing any further in NG+ after I placed the Lordvessel with Kaathe.
I've been using dried fingers at hot spots too. Whenever the bonfires go out or the doorways fog over, my heart starts pumping.

So last week, I invaded at the 1st bonfire area of Undead Burg. As soon as I entered the world, I saw two other red phantoms fighting in the courtyard below. The host was at the crossbow archer's spot jumping up and down waving at me saying in an audible strange voice "hello hello hello." I thought that this must be some fight club type thing. I bowed and stood beside him to watch the fight.

When it was over, I ran down to bow to the winner. He used humanity to refresh and we did our pre-fight buffs. The host then stood between us and threw something at the ground to signal "fight!" The guy had a large club and I adjusted my strategy accordingly. I barely got him by distancing myself with 2 handed jump attacks and dead angles from the claymore with charcoal resin. Someone else had invaded while we were fighting and they met me just as I had met the phantom previously. He beat me quickly with black magic orbs and a backstab from out of nowhere.

It's absolutely fantastic that these types of events take place within Dark Souls. The PvP format is so much fun and I usually don't like multiplayer in games. Thinking back now, I would have bought Dark Souls just for this had I known about it. If you're getting bored fighting against the engine enemies, go for an invasion. It's always unpredictable and exciting. Like I said, I started doing it regularly 2 weeks ago and I'm already competitive. I win slightly more than I lose, but it's always so much fun.

Mistel

Banned
I've gathered from your last couple of avatars that you have a thing for redheads, yes?
image.php
The short answer is yes.

My best memory has just happened recently.

I've been using the red eye orb constantly for the past 2 weeks and left as many bosses open as possible so I can still be invaded wherever I may go, i.e., maximum PvP. I'm not planning on progressing any further in NG+ after I placed the Lordvessel with Kaathe.
I've been using dried fingers at hot spots too. Whenever the bonfires go out or the doorways fog over, my heart starts pumping.

So last week, I invaded at the 1st bonfire area of Undead Burg. As soon as I entered the world, I saw two other red phantoms fighting in the courtyard below. The host was at the crossbow archer's spot jumping up and down waving at me saying in an audible strange voice "hello hello hello." I thought that this must be some fight club type thing. I bowed and stood beside him to watch the fight.

When it was over, I ran down to bow to the winner. He used humanity to refresh and we did our pre-fight buffs. The host then stood between us and threw something at the ground to signal "fight!" The guy had a large club and I adjusted my strategy accordingly. I barely got him by distancing myself with 2 handed jump attacks and dead angles from the claymore with charcoal resin. Someone else had invaded while we were fighting and they met me just as I had met the phantom previously. He beat me quickly with black magic orbs and a backstab from out of nowhere.

It's absolutely fantastic that these types of events take place within Dark Souls. The PvP format is so much fun and I usually don't like multiplayer in games. Thinking back now, I would have bought Dark Souls just for this had I known about it. If you're getting bored fighting against the engine enemies, go for an invasion. It's always unpredictable and exciting. Like I said, I started doing it regularly 2 weeks ago and I'm already competitive. I win slightly more than I lose, but it's always so much fun.

Maybe you will appear in a youtube video or something, is so fun when people gather and organize those tournaments

Donos

Can I say how legit this game is? First play through along with DLC content took me about 65 hours to complete. This game has a very good combat system and the story is left to interpretation so many can theorize.

Best memories will be cutting off Kalameet's tail and when I beat Ors & Smo, Manus, and Gwyn. I killed Solaire as well :( I did not know to save him....don't be mad at me Sunbros

Wat, i'm close to 70 hours and just started going into Demon Ruins (Kalameet fucked me up a few times so i'm waiting to beat him). Guess i'm going to end up around 90-100 hours. Depends how ilong i'm going to get stuck on the remaining bosses.

Mistel

Banned
Wat, i'm close to 70 hours and just started going into Demon Ruins (Kalameet fucked me up a few times so i'm waiting to beat him). Guess i'm going to end up around 90-100 hours. Depends how ilong i'm going to get stuck on the remaining bosses.
It really depends what you do and how much you explore. How you play also has an influence on how long you will take do it. Once you figure out what you're doing it goes a lot faster on NG cycles.

Tarkus

Who is the woman with 2 guardians just downstairs from the Undead Parish elevator in Firelink Shrine? I think I missed this storyline.

Mistel

Banned
Who is the woman with 2 guardians just downstairs from the Undead Parish elevator in Firelink Shrine? I think I missed this storyline.
Reah she's on a pilgrimage to Lodran to find the rite of kindling. He story involves Petreus and Seath depending on which way it goes.

is there a save state tool for dark souls pc? yes, i've beaten the game many times, i'm just interested in restoring states easily so i can practice speed run techniques without wasting hours running back to try crazy shit lol.

Raptomex

So they stopped GFWL. How do I get this working now with DSFix? I get as far as creating a character then my game crashes when trying to play. Using Windows 8 64-bit.

Kajiba

I just beat Gaping Dragon and cut his tail in the process. Got some crazy looking axe weapon.

Question. If a boss/enemy has a huge tail, always cut it? I don't want to miss out on weapons if that's the case.

Donos

I just beat Gaping Dragon and cut his tail in the process. Got some crazy looking axe weapon.

Question. If a boss/enemy has a huge tail, always cut it? I don't want to miss out on weapons if that's the case.

Yeah, alot of them although it's not that easy for most of them like with the gaping dragon (e.g. Boss in Painting World).

Kaleinc

Banned
Yeah, alot of them although it's not that easy for most of them like with the gaping dragon (e.g. Boss in Painting World).
How so? Don't make hostile, walk behind, equip something heavy and two hand, leaping attack in the ass. Done.

Tarkus

That great axe is actually a decent weapon if you have the stats.

Thrak360

Neo Member
So encountering the mossy knights that wake up in Darkroot Garden? They launch a spell that seems to make me practically immobile. Is there a way to recover from that if I get hit with it? Or is the lesson to just stay far away, when they go into the cast spell animation?

Still making my way through the Garden. Have just picked up Longbow, Wolf Ring, Elite Set so far.

Mistel

Banned
So encountering the mossy knights that wake up in Darkroot Garden? They launch a spell that seems to make me practically immobile. Is there a way to recover from that if I get hit with it? Or is the lesson to just stay far away, when they go into the cast spell animation?
They cast tranquil walk of peace with their greatswords it wears off after about 30 seconds or so. They telegraph doing it so it's easy to get out of range or press the advantage to attack them if you've got a good enough shield to block them with reduced mobility inflicted.

Thrak360

Neo Member
They cast tranquil walk of peace with their greatswords it wears off after about 30 seconds or so. They telegraph doing it so it's easy to get out of range or press the advantage to attack them if you've got a good enough shield to block them with reduced mobility inflicted.
So is this an area of effect spell that I am getting hit with, which then stunts my movement for 30 seconds? Or is this a buff that the knight is casting on himself, which lasts for 30 seconds and effects me if I get too close within that time period?

Mistel

Banned
So is this an area of effect spell that I am getting hit with, which then stunts my movement for 30 seconds? Or is this a buff that the knight is casting on himself, which lasts for 30 seconds and effects me if I get too close within that time period?
The knight casts it on you they can move normally. It's an AOE spell.

Remyzero

Going for his tail? :lol. I was busy surviving behind my shield.
He also has this nasty attack when you are behind him which cought me pretty bad the first time.

His six hit combo or whatever is deadly and of course his dark magic. The one that starts from far away iono how but I rolled back and didn't get hit. #lucky

Tarkus

Anor Londo is such a bitch.

1. Reverse kindling, head toward O&S, get invaded and slaughtered.
  2. Reverse kindling, head toward O&S, get invaded and slaughtered.
  3. Get tired of wasting humanity and just say fuck it, get to O&S, get hit upon entering, land one fire orb, die.
  4. Turn off PC.
Alternatively, you could open the front doors with the mechanism in the Royal Giants room. Reverse hollow at either the bonfire at the beginning or the lower Darkmoon Tomb. Just run up the stairs and past the giants out in front of the building and past the Royal Giants.

Or you could take a left out front if you've opened the gate from the other side and come up by the giant blacksmith. This should put you at Solaire's sign.

Tarkus

I've opened both gates, but I've been fighting the giant on the left at the top of the stairs, 2-3 gargoyles, and the silver knight. Just to avoid getting slaughtered on the way to Solaire. May just need to trust in my speed, but that ended with my getting axed on my way into O&S's room as I tried to run last the Royal Giant.
A good way to deal with them is to get them to chase you up the stairs. If you are careful enough at the top of the stairs, often you only aggro one of them. Stand about 1/3 the way up the upper stairs and 2 hand plunge attack with your best weapon when the giant is directly under you. When you land, you can get 1-2 more swings off and hopefully kill them. Repeat with the other one, then summon a fresh Brolaire.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Alternatively, you could open the front doors with the mechanism in the Royal Giants room. Reverse hollow at either the bonfire at the beginning or the lower Darkmoon Tomb. Just run up the stairs and past the giants out in front of the building and past the Royal Giants.

Or you could take a left out front if you've opened the gate from the other side and come up by the giant blacksmith. This should put you at Solaire's sign.

If I have issues with a boss, I personally put down summon signs at the boss. Gives you a lot of training, you get to help other dudes out and you get your humanity restored :D

Donos

How so? Don't make hostile, walk behind, equip something heavy and two hand, leaping attack in the ass. Done.

Ok, before she's hostile but i had a dynamic entry into the fight and she was aggroed pretty fast :). After that, she was invisible for 95 % of ther time i fought her.

Nyoro SF

If I have issues with a boss, I personally put down summon signs at the boss. Gives you a lot of training, you get to help other dudes out and you get your humanity restored :D

This is what I did for O&S, Capra Demon and Artorias after dying a few times lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hate to rain on your parade but that's how the co-op in the sequel works in this one you are rewarded humanity instead not reverted to human if hollow.

Oh shit, you're right. Been playing so much DS2 I forgot about that. But still, it's a way of getting humanity so you can unhollow at least :)

TnK

Best STR weapons are? I want to go full on STR build again.

Also, got lucky again and got the black knight sword again, lol.

Tarkus

Best STR weapons are? I want to go full on STR build again.

Also, got lucky again and got the black knight sword again, lol.
Claymore - decently fast, excellent moveset, best all-around sword in the game imo, strong attacks are combos. 2-hand strong can dead angle easily, 1-handed strong starts with thrust and works with Leo Ring. Tremendous reach with 1-hand strong.

Demon's Greataxe - VERY powerful weapon, high 46 STR req., decent moveset, short reach, awesome uppercut attack that sends enemies flying, S scaling at +11 or above, highest AR in the game.

Dragon King Greataxe - simple moveset, 2-hand strong attack is POWERFUL AoE, short reach, no scaling, increases fire and magic def. 50 STR req.

Large Club - low stat req., faster moveset than
Great Club, inflicts poison effect, okay reach, A scaling

Murakumo - great STR/DEX weapon, power, fast moveset, scales well with DEX, most damaging curved greatsword.

Zweihander - all around best ultra greatsword, powerful but slow weapon, takes some getting used to, I personally do not like it but many people do.

All listed weapons have high stun potential, poise drain, and can all be buffed with a temporary effect.

Mentions:
Black Knight Greataxe - easy upgrade, decent moveset, strong attacks are incredibly slow, B STR scaling, can't be buffed, fashion souls to the max, does less damage then AR indicates.

Grave Lord Sword - fast moveset, easy upgrade, high AR, great combos with a thrusting strong attack, inflicts toxin effect like Blighttown snipers, looks great, can't be buffed, poor scaling

TnK

Demon great axe, demon great machete, dragon tooth, and man serpent greatsword. To name a few of them.

Claymore - decently fast, excellent moveset, best all-around sword in the game imo, strong attacks are combos. 2-hand strong can dead angle easily, 1-handed strong starts with thrust and works with Leo Ring. Tremendous reach with 1-hand strong.

Demon's Greataxe - VERY powerful weapon, high 46 STR req., decent moveset, short reach, awesome uppercut attack that sends enemies flying, S scaling at +11 or above, highest AR in the game.

Dragon King Greataxe - simple moveset, 2-hand strong attack is POWERFUL AoE, short reach, no scaling, increases fire and magic def. 50 STR req.

Large Club - low stat req., faster moveset than
Great Club, inflicts poison effect, okay reach, A scaling

Murakumo - great STR/DEX weapon, power, fast moveset, scales well with DEX, most damaging curved greatsword.

Zweihander - all around best ultra greatsword, powerful but slow weapon, takes some getting used to, I personally do not like it but many people do.

All listed weapons have high stun potential, poise drain, and can all be buffed with a temporary effect.

Mentions:
Black Knight Greataxe - easy upgrade, decent moveset, strong attacks are incredibly slow, B STR scaling, can't be buffed, fashion souls to the max, does less damage then AR indicates.

Grave Lord Sword - fast moveset, easy upgrade, high AR, great combos with a thrusting strong attack, inflicts toxin effect like Blighttown snipers, looks great, can't be buffed, poor scaling

Thanks for both mentions you two. I also got the Black Knight Greatsword and am able to use it now. Till now, the game is super easy, mostly because I have weapons that annihilate everything lol.
I summoned solaire for the gargoyle boss encounter as my brother told me getting the sun medallions are worth it. Are they?
I don't want to summon any NPCs vs boss fights, as I would like to finish them myself. The gargoyles I have beaten myself normally before, hence why I did summon solaire this time.

Mistel

Banned
I summoned solaire for the gargoyle boss encounter as my brother told me getting the sun medallions are worth it. Are they?
They allow you to rank up the sunlight warrior covenant allowing access to the lightning spear family of miracles. They can be farmed in a lost Izlaith without the need for co-op.

Every time I getting ready to go into the Demon Ruins, I try to find something else to do game wise.

I started a new Dex route, because my Great Club run only has Ruins/Izalith to go.

I hate those places with every fiber in my body.

Tarkus

Every time I getting ready to go into the Demon Ruins, I try to find something else to do game wise.

I started a new Dex route, because my Great Club run only has Ruins/Izalith to go.

I hate those places with every fiber in my body.
I hate Lost Izalith almost as much as I hate the Painted World. It would have been so much better if you could warp out of there.

Thrak360

Neo Member
So I got invaded for the first time in Darkroot Garden by a real person. The previous times I was invaded by red phantoms, which I guess were NPCs - some guy in The Depths, and Mildred in Blighttown.

I finished the butterfly section of the Garden, so started exploring the forest beyond the crest-sealed door. I was hollow at that point because I had been previously killed by a Stone Knight/Foliage/Foliage triple team. I'm slowly figuring out where the forest dudes are, trying not to aggro more than one at a time. Takes me awhile to kill the first two cleanly, meaning without using up Estus. So I keep going back to the bonfire til I get it right. Then I notice I hadn't ever kindled that bonfire so I do so, to get Estus quantity up to 10.

And bam! First time I enter that forest as human I am invaded. lol. So after the encounter, how does this all work?

This was a blue phantom, so that is a real life person, member of the area's covenant? I was being engaged by an AI controlled enemy at the time, so it was effectively a 2 on 1 battle. The phantom never healed. I did, is that a breach of the "code"? The invader was heavily armored and slow. I pretty much dispatched him/her with 4 Great Chaos Fireballs. I'm not sure exactly what happened after that, as I then became busy fighting the AI enemy. There was a text message that the invader was vanquished. I don't think there was anything to pick up. But I think I gained a bunch of souls. Does that sound right, vanquishing an invader is a soul reward, but no item reward?

And how does the bonfire work in conjunction with an invasion? After the invader and AI guy was killed, I went back to the bonfire just up the stairs. There had been a fog on that archway, it was still kind of there but broken up and I passed through. But when I got back to the bonfire, I could not use it. Why is that? I was able to quit and save, reload, and immediately rest, to replenish all my Estus.

After all that, still being human, I decided to wait on that forest for now. Visited the Basin for the first time, found that pretty easy and dispatched the Hydra before calling it a night.

Tarkus

^You were probably invaded by the cat covenant. Any time someone enters that area as a human, they invade as long as they're wearing the cat ring. I believe they can invade as either red or blue, but I'm not positive on that. Or you could have been invaded by a Dorkmoon Blade member seeking vengeance for your sins.

When invaded, the doors to the immediate multiplayer area are fogged off and you can't leave until someone dies. If near the boss' fog door, you can enter it and stop the invasion. If you beat a Dorkmoon, you just get souls, whereas if you beat a red phantom in the Darkwraiths, you souls and humanity. You might get humanity with blue phantoms too, I don't remember. The blue invasions are rare for me.

Healing during a battle in generally a "no-no" but you were in gank city so fuck it. Hardly anyone plays by the "rules" though unless you're in a well known and decent PvP area, which IMO, the garden is not.

Edit: the boss is not a bad one-on-one fight. Try it as a hollow.

Mistel

Banned
Healing during a battle in generally a "no-no" but you were in gank city so fuck it. Hardly anyone plays by the "rules" though unless you're in a well known and decent PvP area, which IMO, the garden is not.
The garden is the only place that the forest hunter invasions can occur so that kinda makes it PvP area no?

Thrak360

Neo Member
Edit: the boss is not a bad one-on-one fight. Try it as a hollow.
I went human only to kindle, not in preparation of summoning for a boss fight. Main motivation for the forest is looking for bow of Pharis that somebody mentioned. Then back to Anor Londo.

Top Bottom