• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Donos

Boss in Lost Izalith was kind of lame and pretty easy (died two times from falling). That's why i prefer the real fight bosses way more than puzzle/gimmick bosses.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Painted World is the greatest Souls level in the history of Souls!

To be fair from a gameplay/level design standpoint it's just kinda awkward. Visually it's awesome and having a boss
you don't have to fight, kinda like an NPC
is freaking fantastic. It ending up being locked away from the main game does make it feel special though.

Ruuppa

Well, thats the idea, she just ran away from that world.

Ash Lake and Painted World are completely on a different pace from the rest of the game, and nicely highlight the general theme of the game, namely melancholy, despair and ruination. Love them to bits.

TnK

^You were probably invaded by the cat covenant. Any time someone enters that area as a human, they invade as long as they're wearing the cat ring. I believe they can invade as either red or blue, but I'm not positive on that. Or you could have been invaded by a Dorkmoon Blade member seeking vengeance for your sins.

When invaded, the doors to the immediate multiplayer area are fogged off and you can't leave until someone dies. If near the boss' fog door, you can enter it and stop the invasion. If you beat a Dorkmoon, you just get souls, whereas if you beat a red phantom in the Darkwraiths, you souls and humanity. You might get humanity with blue phantoms too, I don't remember. The blue invasions are rare for me.

Healing during a battle in generally a "no-no" but you were in gank city so fuck it. Hardly anyone plays by the "rules" though unless you're in a well known and decent PvP area, which IMO, the garden is not.

Edit: the boss is not a bad one-on-one fight. Try it as a hollow.
lol I heal during PvPs sometimes.

This game is better compared to DS2. Also, my brother spoiled something about anor londo for me (not too bummed about it), and should I keep the illusion or show the reality?

Tarkus

Top 3 weapons this week:

1. Great Scythe - Goddamn. Fast, high AR, A Dex scaling, huge reach, low weight, low stamina drain per swing, and buffable. Normal attack in 1 hand and 2 hand are similar overhead attacks, good for tight quarters, and very fast. Strong attacks alternate directions and are quick with a huge sweep. Dead angles like crazy. Inflicts BLEED buildup at 30 per strike (Uchi is 33). The only con: there's a slight delay if you miss with strong attack. Doesn't happen if you strike shield, only a whiff.

2. Balder Side Sword - A Dex scaling, fantastic moveset, fast weapon. Buffable, decent reach, and nice combos. Strong 1 hand attack is thrust followed by a faster thrust, which can then be followed up with another thrust if 40 END. Low stamina drain and pokes work with Leo Ring. Moderately high AR. Con: Very common weapon in PvP and almost everybody knows the moveset making for easy parries.

3. Claymore - reach, power, stagger, best moveset. High AR...this one is the fallback crutch.

Aizo

Banned
I'm playing through for the first time, and I didn't think it was hard, until I fought the gargoyles. Once I started using my shield against them, I succeeded, luckily. Now I feel very confused. It seems like I just reached a big difficulty curve because I get destroyed when I go to the Dark Woods in any direction. I'm scared.

Mistel

Banned
I'm playing through for the first time, and I didn't think it was hard, until I fought the gargoyles. Once I started using my shield against them, I succeeded, luckily. Now I feel very confused. It seems like I just reached a big difficulty curve because I get destroyed when I go to the Dark Woods in any direction. I'm scared.
Are you upgrading your equipment? The demonic foliages might give you hassle at first but with a bit of practice they really easy to kill due to their telegraphing.

lol I heal during PvPs sometimes.

This game is better compared to DS2. Also, my brother spoiled something about anor londo for me (not too bummed about it), and should I keep the illusion or show the reality?

It depends on you, you get perks for getting the ilusion rather than uncover the truth but you want to live in an ilusion ?

Well is a openworld, the garden is supposed to be reached after Anor londo. Maybe your gear and weapons need an upgrade to survive in that harsh area

Donos

Garden is supposed to be after Londo? Silver Knights > foliage.

Dissapointed by the last area before final boss. At least the boss is a nice fight and not a pushover like in Demon's Souls.
Introduction to last boss was also low key. I know the Souls games are different in storytelling but hey, it's the last boss and not some random encounter.

Tarkus

Dissapointed by the last area before final boss. At least the boss is a nice fight and not a pushover like in Demon's Souls.
Introduction to last boss was also low key. I know the Souls games are different in storytelling but hey, it's the last boss and not some random encounter.
The Kiln Black Knights are pushovers at this point. Lots of free BK weapons for NG+ though. Did you also know that there are
two endings?

Well, you might have noticed something else about that fight that is different from all the other boss encounters in that game. Mainly the music. Most boss fights have a hype theme that pumps you up for the fight but the one for the final boss is different.

My take on this is
that the entire fight is supposed to have a different feel than a normal boss encounter. The game intro shows Gwyn leading an army and killing dragons, throwing lightning like a boss.
You meet multiple characters that hype up Gwyn by telling you that he is the all powerful god of sunlight but when you finally meet him all that is left is this husk of a man that is all hollowed out!

Donos

Well, you might have noticed something else about that fight that is different from all the other boss encounters in that game. Mainly the music. Most boss fights have a hype theme that pumps you up for the fight but the one for the final boss is different.

My take on this is
that the entire fight is supposed to have a different feel than a normal boss encounter. The game intro shows Gwyn leading an army and killing dragons, throwing lightning like a boss.
You meet multiple characters that hype up Gwyn by telling you that he is the all powerful god of sunlight but when you finally meet him all that is left is this husk of a man that is all hollowed out!

Yeah good interpretation. The music was a nice touch and i liked it. Rest of the game lacks a bit of the Demon's Souls atmosphere/strange ambient vibe. Ash Lake had this vibe and was really nice.

Last Area
The whole design of the Kiln + enemy placement felt like *oh we have to make a final area before the boss, lets make one in 10 minutes and place some enemies here and there". The stairs with the shadows/ghost of the knights where nice, also the first view of the Kiln. But going down till the boss was a *that's it?* moment.

Like you said, they had to know that people are strong when they are going to the end and then they just place some Black Knights there? Also 1 on1 ? At least pack them together (like the four Red Eyed Knights on the stairs before the Penetrator boss in DeS).

Would have been way more interesting when there had been Anor Londos everybody favourites Silver Knights with the Greatbows left and right while you descend and fight Black Knights. Or some mages shooting fireballs and stuff.
To give you the feeling of pushing through to the last act.

Well, overall fantastic game. Would rate it the same as Demon's Souls or slightly higher but the high/lows of both games are sometimes very different so i think i like both equally.

All without the online aspect because i only tried it briefly in both games but started both game years after release so that i only fought hardcore/trolls or teleporting backstabbers. I plan to try some more of it and help people with some bosses (O&S).

Low on money righty now so i'm going to wait for Dark Souls 2.

jerry1594

DS kind of has a tone between dark fantasy and high fantasy, to me. From what I've seen Demon's Souls is pretty much straight dark fantasy but DS2 looks like straight high fantasy? Accurate?

DS kind of has a tone between dark fantasy and high fantasy, to me. From what I've seen Demon's Souls is pretty much straight dark fantasy but DS2 looks like straight high fantasy? Accurate?

Demon's and Dark are both dark fantasy, Dark has the specific area that looks like High Fantasy. Dark 2 is spaghetti, tasteless, bland, etc mostly- at least by comparison. (IMO, don't take this like fact)

My take on this is

Considering Gwyn fragment his soul in four parts and gaves them to the four kings and with his remaining soul reignite the fire and still have the strength to fight you, that was pretty impressive. I also love that kind of "this is not your typical boss battle, they are more screwed than you" bosses in Souls series.

Demon's and Dark are both dark fantasy, Dark has the specific area that looks like High Fantasy. Dark 2 is spaghetti, tasteless, bland, etc mostly- at least by comparison. (IMO, don't take this like fact)

DS2 feels like I am playing Zelda but dark souls themed

jimmyd

Yes.

Also, the painted world is more of a demon's souls level compared to a dark souls one. It plays exactly like one of DeS's acts. Finding shortcuts that go back to the bonefire, etc.

Completely agree, love the Painted World. Getting that feeling of dread as you progress further desperately wanting a bonfire or shortcut to appear. And then there's the throwback enemy from DeS...

TnK

Completely agree, love the Painted World. Getting that feeling of dread as you progress further desperately wanting a bonfire or shortcut to appear. And then there's the throwback enemy from DeS...
I don't know if it was dread, but I was saving 2 humanities to kindle the upcoming bonefire, and really did not want to lose them.
her tails gives you a dagger, one of the few weapons that can harm the ghosts
I don't think I will be fighting this NPC, so I will be keeping that fluffy tail intact, lol. I heard that you can get artorias's cursed blade for the ghosts.

Also, where is your avatar from? I know it is a DaS's avatar, but the source is?
So, is Windows Live dead for anyone else? Can't get past the login at all.

Works for me.

Mistel

Banned
Also, where is your avatar from? I know it is a DaS's avatar, but the source is?
This is the source:
3YNDa.jpg
Wait, is this right?
Ghost blade, jagged ghost blade, and the greatsword of artorias cursed version.

TnK

This is the source:

I actually meant the artist, but that's cool either way. Found the artist via the signature. Thanks.

EDIT: Ornstein and Smough first half isn't hard when trying to kill Smough but leaving Ornstein. Second half is hard when you have giant Ornstein. I want that armor <__< It is that good eh?

Tried twice, and stopped after dying the second time. Will try again later. Till now, the boss is not as infamously hard as people say it is. I think it is because DS2 had a good number of of 2 vs 1 bosses.

EDIT 2: Tried two more times, and now I know why people say it is hard. Only problem is the lock-on is a bit iffy. It doesn't lock on the the enemies from afar, and changing between the two is a bit dumb. Also, camera is all over the place lol.

solid mike

Need some help with Artorias of the Abyss dlc.

My PS3 is asian (R3) as well as my PSN account. My Dark Souls is US (R1).

Will I be able to play the dlc if I buy it from the store despite the difference on regions?

It is, since is one of the cursed weapons alonside with the the phantoms's daggers drop and the artorias greatsword

You sir are a liar lol I swung and swung and didn't hit a damned thing.

Edit: Ornstein's armor is a bit of a letdown. I find the Eastern much more appealing.

TnK

Need some help with Artorias of the Abyss dlc.

My PS3 is asian (R3) as well as my PSN account. My Dark Souls is US (R1).

Will I be able to play the dlc if I buy it from the store despite the difference on regions?
Make sure you buy it from the R1 store and not R3

Thrak360

Neo Member
Finally back in Anor Londo, but now with a +5 Black Bow of Pharis. I guess that will be a little less damage than the Long Bow - but has a better range. That's what I'm looking for more than anything. Both have the same scaling with dexterity it seems.

Mistel

Banned
Finally back in Anor Londo, but now with a +5 Black Bow of Pharis. I guess that will be a little less damage than the Long Bow - but has a better range. That's what I'm looking for more than anything. Both have the same scaling with dexterity it seems.
The Pharis bow is more high DEX oriented than the longbow if you've invested with STR you will get better damage with a longbow. Not to mention a +10 longbow is stronger than a +5 Pharis bow.

If you want extended range the hawk ring can give you that it's in Anor londo next to the blacksmith.

Thrak360

Neo Member
The Pharis bow is more high DEX oriented than the longbow if you've invested with STR you will get better damage with a longbow. Not to mention a +10 longbow is stronger than a +5 Pharis bow.

If you want extended range the hawk ring can give you that it's in Anor londo next to the blacksmith.
It seemed once I started upgrading Long Bow, it had the same "S" dexterity scaling as the Pharis. But Long Bow has better strength scaling I think.

Anyway my character stats are around 24-25 for strength, dexterity, vitality, and endurance. Only other stat I ever invested in was attunement to add a couple more slots.

Equipped right now with + 10 claymore, +10 balder shield, +5 bow of Pharis, +5 pyromancy, crimson set. Also wearing Havel and Covetous rings.

Mistel

Banned
It seemed once I started upgrading Long Bow, it had the same "S" dexterity scaling as the Pharis. But Long Bow has better strength scaling I think.

Anyway my character stats are around 24-25 for strength, dexterity, vitality, and endurance. Only other stat I ever invested in was attunement to add a couple more slots.

Equipped right now with + 10 claymore, +10 balder shield, +5 bow of Pharis, +5 pyromancy, crimson set. Also wearing Havel and Covetous rings.
I wouldn't worry too much about it the pair of them at max upgrade level with your stats (assuming 25 for both STR/DEX) there's only a 21 damage difference between Pharis's at 256 and the Longbow at 277. At the 40/40 soft caps it's still not that much of a difference with the Pharis having 338 to the Longbow's 354.

Farks!

Question: if you just stick to the games critical path, will you end up missing some areas in the game? If so, is the point of no return made clear to the player?

Mistel

Banned
Question: if you just stick to the games critical path, will you end up missing some areas in the game? If so, is the point of no return made clear to the player?
Yes you will miss some of the areas within the game and no it doesn't tell you the point of no return.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's not 100% clear but you can guess at what the point of no return is. If you want to know, it's the first fog gate at the
Kiln of the First Flame
. Once you beat that boss you're automatically getting the ending and NG+.

Ruuppa

There are 3 optional areas and the DLC that you can miss if you only follow the mission critical path:
Undead Asylum revisited, The Great Hollow/Ash Lake and Painted World.

If you're going in blind, these areas can be difficult to find, and even the DLC is hidden away. The lack of signs these days can make it even harder to find them.

You can miss like 6 places with critical items for upgrades,covenants and armor sets. More if you use the masterkey.

If you dont talk to the NPCs so much, you wont notice the point of no return like most of the players in their first run. The game just jump to NG+ without asking you.

gogosox82

Yes you will miss some areas if you just stick to the critical path. No, the game doesn't tell you when there is a point of no return but I think its pretty easy to tell when that point is.

TnK

So, why are ornstein and smough hard again? I found the main problem with the fight is the start. If you position yourself wrong from the very start you are dead. If you pass that initial phase, the rest of the fight opens up.

I killed smough first, and then ornstein. I want ornstein's armor.

I actually had a much harder time with the three sentinals in DS2, but that was probably because I was under leveled when fighting them.

Did I reach the midpoint of the game?

Top Bottom