• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

So, why are ornstein and smough hard again? I found the main problem with the fight is the start. If you position yourself wrong from the very start you are dead. If you pass that initial phase, the rest of the fight opens up.

I killed smough first, and then ornstein. I want ornstein's armor.

I actually had a much harder time with the three sentinals in DS2, but that was probably because I was under leveled when fighting them.

Did I reach the midpoint of the game?

Its hard since you want to rush it and kill them fast but if you know how to kite them is cake, shame you played DS2 before DS1

Yes you do, you can go to the DLC now, go to the orange fog gates or explores some areas in the undead burg and blightown.

TnK

Its hard since you want to rush it and kill them fast but if you know how to kite them is cake, shame you played DS2 before DS1

Yes you do, you can go to the DLC now, go to the orange fog gates or explores some areas in the undead burg and blightown.
So 13 hours in and I reached the mid point? Seems like I am breezing through this game as well, lol. I am also taking my time exploring the areas, not that I am trying to beat everything and move on.I guess most of the time spent in these games is when trying again and again when dying.

Till now, the hardest souls boss for me is Firelurker on NG+. That guy was brutal. Other than that. Smelter demon comes a close second, but he is probably there because rolling in DS2 needs leveling up. Other than that it is quite easy. These games are again really fun from a gameplay point of view. I love how proper approuch and carefulness get you a very long way.
Also, I actually managed to kill the first boss with 1 hit, and the capra demon in 2. Jumping from a high place and plunging on bosses ftw yo!

Oh yeah, the invincibility frames when rolling on thd lightest weight in this game is ace. Makes a lot of the encounters more fun. Rolling when having I-frames is both more fun and more rewarding when done right. Rolling away from 1 hit kills is so satisfying lol.

Kaleinc

Banned
Four Kings? More like Four Babbys, amirite?

:p
If your damage output is low they are royal pain in the ass.

So, why are ornstein and smough hard again? I found the main problem with the fight is the start. If you position yourself wrong from the very start you are dead. If you pass that initial phase, the rest of the fight opens up.

I actually had a much harder time with the three sentinals in DS2, but that was probably because I was under leveled when fighting them.

Could you please not spoil DS2 in this thread?

hey guys I have a question for you

I have Dark Souls on Steam, but my crappy laptop can't run it. Should I double dip and buy the PS3 version of the game? GAF has been talking a lot about Dark Souls lately and I really want to play it now. Is there any reason to play the PC version over console other than graphics and framerate?

Sullichin

hey guys I have a question for you

I have Dark Souls on Steam, but my crappy laptop can't run it. Should I double dip and buy the PS3 version of the game? GAF has been talking a lot about Dark Souls lately and I really want to play it now. Is there any reason to play the PC version over console other than graphics and framerate?
No, not really.
Grab it on PS3, but get the Artorias of the Abyss edition if you can. The PC version includes it but it was DLC on consoles.

Mistel

Banned
Also, I actually managed to kill the first boss with 1 hit, and the capra demon in 2. Jumping from a high place and plunging on bosses ftw yo!
That was with a black knight weapon wasn't it? They do bonus damage to demon type enemies.
I need a weapon that scales with faith. I just beat the gaping dragon.
Divine upgrade path will allow you to make one. There's the Astoria straight sword but that's kinda meh.

gaming_noob

I finally beat Dark Souls with a knight build with Havel's armor set. Tried playing through NG+ but stuck at Ornstein and Smough so I've decided to restart the game with a different class: Pyromancer. I have a few questions:

1. Do I have to keep buying pyromancer magic "ammo" or will they replenish at bonfires?

2. What is the best sword to use?

3. What armor set is "best" for pyromancer?

Mistel

Banned
I have a few questions:
1. Do I have to keep buying pyromancer magic "ammo" or will they replenish at bonfires?
For 1 casts replenish at bonfires. As for 2 and 3 what are your stats?

Ruuppa

I finally beat Dark Souls with a knight build with Havel's armor set. Tried playing through NG+ but stuck at Ornstein and Smough so I've decided to restart the game with a different class: Pyromancer. I have a few questions:

1. They replenish.
2. Quelaag's Furysword is good and theme-appropriate, but you might want to get a Lightning weapon for those fire-resistant enemies instead. Lightning Claymore is excellent, but if you're running with low stats, Barbed Club or Longsword are both good. Lightning Great Scythe is neato as well.
3. Father's Mask, Giant's everything else. Become the dad. But seriously, just go with what looks nice. If you like light armor, just wear that and use Wolf's Ring to sub for the Poise.

1.- Both, you can buy more ammor slots with queelan assistant, queelana or the guy you rescue from the depths.
2.- Chaos blade like everyone says or a katana.
3.- it depens if you will go pve or pvp, for PvE light armors are better since you need mobility rather than defense becuase you will emtl everythig at ease. I recommend you the crimson set, eastern set and gold black set

Mistel

Banned
Yes, I did it with the black knight sword.
That's probably why you found both so easy then. Even without upgrades it is likely to be stronger than a majority of weapons that are available to you. Depending on what you do of course as you can get say a gravelord sword for example by doing a catacombs run.

Donos

Bed of Chaos is kicking my ass all over the place. Any tips? I'm on the 3rd phase.

XD I just did that as you posted it. Then punched it unarmed, lol

Funny thing is in phase 3, the big hand slapped me me into the hole in the middle where i landed on the branch who led to the middle. Another "that's it?* moment. All in all lame boss.
Have to say that i beat it at last before going to Kiln, so my stats and gear was almost maxed (Claymore +15, Balder Shield +15, Eastern Armor +5, 40 STR, 40 END, 30 DEX, 23 VIT). Phase 1 and 2 where just avoiding the holes, which i failed three times. Bed himself didn't really made much damage.

TnK

That's probably why you found both so easy then. Even without upgrades it is likely to be stronger than a majority of weapons that are available to you. Depending on what you do of course as you can get say a gravelord sword for example by doing a catacombs run.

The bosses are easy nonetheless, minus the dumb dogs vs the capra demon, lol.

Is the white chaos sister blind?

YoungHav

Banned
What are the top 3-5 most powerful weapons in the game. I'm doing NG+ and am not satisfied with my weapons at this point.

I have been rocking a Black Knight Sword+5 forever now because it has a good combo of speed and strength, I can do 7 swings before my stamina runs out. I am good killing normal enemies but bosses are giving me trouble. I have weapons that do more damage (Black Knight Greatswd+5 and Magic GreatAxe+10), but are slow as shit to swing.

Mistel

Banned
What are the top 3-5 most powerful weapons in the game. I'm doing NG+ and am not satisfied with my weapons at this point.
A crystal demon great axe is probably the strongest one I can think of the top of my head. But that is probably too slow for your needs but most of the strongest weapons will be the slower heavier ones.

Ruuppa

I have been rocking a Black Knight Sword+5 forever now because it has a good combo of speed and strength, I can do 7 swings before my stamina runs out. I am good killing normal enemies but bosses are giving me trouble. I have weapons that do more damage (Black Knight Greatswd+5 and Magic GreatAxe+10), but are slow as shit to swing.

Claymore is probably the most balanced weapon in the game: Great reach, great damage, good speed. Can't go wrong with that.

Manserpent Greatsword is also quite excellent, if you've got lots of Str.

YoungHav

Banned
For the slower, heavier weapons, are the animations pretty much set or is there a stat I can increase to increase their swing speed?

Ruuppa

For the slower, heavier weapons, are the animations pretty much set or is there a stat I can increase to increase their swing speed?

They're fixed. The only animation you can speed up via stats is spellcasting.

Edit: So I just killed Jeremiah in Painted World, but when I got to where his set should be, I was greeted with a fat load of nothing. Anyone else ever had this happen? I rested at the bonfire, and even exited and reran the Painted World, but still no set.

OK guys, I need some help here. I beat Dark Souls a long time ago, then the DLC came out and I bought it day one, but never played it since even though I loved the game it was too much Darks Souls for me at the time (weird huh?... I guess the oppressive atmosphere was too much for me). After beating Dark Souls II I decided to replay Dark Souls again with my 3 characters =D, the problem is I am currently playing with some specific rules here: all my stats have to be at the same level (this character has 20 in all stats) because many people said you couldn't play Dark souls that way... well I CAN if I want >=D. But... I cannot do anything against Artorias :(

If I hit him I'll just inflict 50 damage... 74 if it's a strong attack, and that is my best weapon... I know how to evade his attacks but the fight will take a lot of time and eventually I will make mistakes. So... what weapons should I use against him?

They're fixed. The only animation you can speed up via stats is spellcasting.

Edit: So I just killed Jeremiah in Painted World, but when I got to where his set should be, I was greeted with a fat load of nothing. Anyone else ever had this happen? I rested at the bonfire, and even exited and reran the Painted World, but still no set.

You have to kill priscilla (she is the one who killed him somehow) to make his set appear.

I sometimes think of joining the covenant because it helps solaire, but 30 humanities to be +2 =/

Is there a place to farm humanities?

Before fighting Nito there several baby skeletons that drops humanity non stop and also spawn infinite times

Ruuppa

You have to kill priscilla (she is the one who killed him somehow) to make his set appear.

No, I have gotten the set before without killing her. This time it simply didn't appear. I'd like to avoid killing her if at all possible..

I sometimes think of joining the covenant because it helps solaire, but 30 humanities to be +2 =/

DLC area, kill the big Humanities.

Donos

DLC, right at the start of the Chasm of the Abyss. There is a warpable bonfire close. Kill the floating humanity Ghosts. Some even drop twin humanities. Be be careful when they gang up on you, you are dead pretty fast. I two handed claymore and made one slash and backsteped, then again one slash, then back again.With Claymore +15 i needed two two-hand hits for the big ghost (STR 40) and one hit for the little ones. The little ones also die from one-handed R1 attack.

or

right before Nito, the area with the Pinwheels. There are little Skeletons spawning constantly out of the water. Only problem with them is the the humanity drops vanish really fast into the water.

Equip the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring and have some humantiy on you for both places..

Kyuur

If anyone didn't see this photo edit from the crazy russian climber thread on OT:

gx2qKbD.jpg

Hilariously awesome. Can't wait for VR Dark Souls! :p

That's what I'm wearing right now to try and tank their hits better. I tried summoning the witch to help, but she's a bunch of dead weight.

Sorry I can't be of anymore help. I only recently beat them in my first DS playthrough with most of Havel's set and two-handing my BKGS +5.

That's what I'm wearing right now to try and tank their hits better. I tried summoning the witch to help, but she's a bunch of dead weight.

That boss can be a brick wall if you are not geared enough or not fully upgraded your weapons, they are also really weak to fire and try to always attack him on their right side. The black with is kinda useless for melee and can be often being bugged trying to kill a phantom outside the room.

jimmyd

If you summon her it makes them stronger, so go alone. Tank as heavy as you can (Havel's...) And I think I used Iron Flesh or Power Within (or both, can't remember if that is still a good strategy but worked for me on NG+ long ago)
Buff with lightning or fire
Tank hits and heal when necessary
This fight is a race to take them out ASAP
Stamina regen buffs help

Ruuppa

If you summon her it makes them stronger, so go alone. Tank as heavy as you can (Havel's...) And I think I used Iron Flesh or Power Within (or both, can't remember if that is still a good strategy but worked for me on NG+ long ago)
Buff with lightning or fire
Tank hits and heal when necessary
This fight is a race to take them out ASAP
Stamina regen buffs help

You forgot one:
Hug them close like it's going out of style.
Unless they start glowing with sexual energies. Then you should back off real snappishly.

Oh, and using Power Within does help a lot.

Just did the fight recently. Honestly, its extremely overhyped and if anything, more fustrating than fun due to having to babysit the camera and dealing with some questionable hitboxes.
Cant touch King Allant or Flamelurker.

Just did Seath and now I think im gonna head two the Demon's lair.
Artorias is just too baus for me right now.

Also, this game feels too long :/

So 13 hours in and I reached the mid point? Seems like I am breezing through this game as well, lol. I am also taking my time exploring the areas, not that I am trying to beat everything and move on.I guess most of the time spent in these games is when trying again and again when dying.....

13 hours!?

Jesus, I did that fight at 27 hours or so.... maybe im stopping to smell the roses too often or something lol

Alternatively you can help him without needing to be in the Covenant, although it makes the game slightly more difficult. All you have too do is not talk to him in Anor Londo at all. In doing this he never moves to Demon Ruins. You will be unable to summon him for Centipede Demon, which is why I mention it makes it a tad more difficult, since Solaire fights the Centipede Demon while standing on the lava like the manliest of men. You can kill Centipede Demon on your own if you run to the very right, there's a nice large island that you can fight him on, be careful though, lava burns. After that just go and unlock the shortcut from the other side, go back to Anor Londo and talk to him, and then talk to him after the Centipede Demon fight. Tada Solaire is helped! There may be another way, but I've never done it, if you don't talk to him after Centipede Demon he may also not move further. I'm not entirely sure, and would love if someone could confirm or deny it. The not talking to him in Anor Londo, however, I'm positive about because I've done it multiple times.

butman

OK Gaf.

I finally killed Ornstein & Smough, went to the snake and placed the king's vessel.
Saw the cinematics about the blocked path. I recognized only the one that is from the path above Anor Londo i guess, and now he tell me that i must kill powerful souls bearers.

Any advice where i must to go first? Now it looks that the choice where to go is more free than before...

OK Gaf.

I finally killed Ornstein & Smough, went to the snake and placed the king's vessel.
Saw the cinematics about the blocked path. I recognized only the one that is from the path above Anor Londo i guess, and now he tell me that i must kill powerful souls bearers.

Any advice where i must to go first? Now it looks that the choice where to go is more free than before...
It doesn't really make a difference which you do first. Take the Anor Londo route if that's the one you recognise.

Top Bottom