• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Ruuppa

OK Gaf.

I finally killed Ornstein & Smough, went to the snake and placed the king's vessel.
Saw the cinematics about the blocked path. I recognized only the one that is from the path above Anor Londo i guess, and now he tell me that i must kill powerful souls bearers.

Any advice where i must to go first? Now it looks that the choice where to go is more free than before...

Before anything else, go to
New Londo Ruins and open that place up. You'll get the Very Large Ember there.
If you're a mage,
or just want to access the DLC fast,
go to the one in Anor Londo after that. If not, go to whichever you desire.

Donos

What are the top 3-5 most powerful weapons in the game. I'm doing NG+ and am not satisfied with my weapons at this point.

I have been rocking a Black Knight Sword+5 forever now because it has a good combo of speed and strength, I can do 7 swings before my stamina runs out. I am good killing normal enemies but bosses are giving me trouble. I have weapons that do more damage (Black Knight Greatswd+5 and Magic GreatAxe+10), but are slow as shit to swing.

Started NG+ a few days ago and the GOAT Claymore +15 is still doing serious business to normal enemies and bosses (Taurus deamon melted away in a few two handed cuts). Granted i have 40 STR and 31 DEX so i also still have room up for more damage. Has similar moveset to Black Knight sword.

Tarkus

Started NG+ a few days ago and the GOAT Claymore +15...Granted i have 40 STR and 31 DEX so i also still have room up for more damage. Has far superior moveset to Black Knight sword.
Fixed that for you ;)
Pump your DEX up to 40 and try out the Great Scythe. GOAT

Rizzi

My +10 divine claymore is the best weapon I have ever used. It is murdering the shit out of everything. That 1h stab attack is godlike.

Finally defeated Artorias yesterday! (thanks for the help guys >__>)

I had to farm Silver Knights for a SK Spear... then I had to get lots of twinkling titanite, which made me go from Anor Londo to Ash Lake... then I went back to Oolacile... just to find out my new weapon only inflicted 66 damage against him... 11 more than the one I was using... but the reach was much better so I didn't have to play as safe as I was playing before. Few minutes later I felt as if I had accomplished something huge... well, yes!, I defeated Knight Artorias, the abyss walker!!! >:D

Donos

Fixed that for you ;)
Pump your DEX up to 40 and try out the Great Scythe. GOAT

Don't know if i have it. Going to try it. Also tried the Zweihander a bit more but i really don't like it (have it at +10 atm).
Silver Knight Spear is pretty nice though. What is the best Spear in the game?

Donos

Finally defeated Artorias yesterday! (thanks for the help guys >__>)

I had to farm Silver Knights for a SK Spear... then I had to get lots of twinkling titanite, which made me go from Anor Londo to Ash Lake... then I went back to Oolacile... just to find out my new weapon only inflicted 66 damage against him... 11 more than the one I was using... but the reach was much better so I didn't have to play as safe as I was playing before. Few minutes later I felt as if I had accomplished something huge... well, yes!, I defeated Knight Artorias, the abyss walker!!! >:D

Artorias is like the little house dog of the real boss in the DLC. Your body (and shield) better be ready.

OK Gaf.

I finally killed Ornstein & Smough, went to the snake and placed the king's vessel.
Saw the cinematics about the blocked path. I recognized only the one that is from the path above Anor Londo i guess, and now he tell me that i must kill powerful souls bearers.

Any advice where i must to go first? Now it looks that the choice where to go is more free than before...

First of all if you have the DLC go to the DLC right now, if not.....

If you are a sorcerer and look for the titanite for magic go to Duke archives
if you are a pyromancer and look for the titanite of fire go to Lost Izalith
if you want a large ember go to New Londo
if you want the dark titanite go to the painting world

Donos

I'd say the demon spear and the silver knight spear are the best pair for pure melee.

Sorry but that looks really hideous. Like wielding a spine of a mid sized dinosaur.
I think i'm going to pump up the Silver Knight spear to +15. Got another Titanite slab left. Or maybe a better idea is to upgrade the spear and different weapons only to +10 and keep the possibility to upgrade them to unique weapons for the trophy later.

butman

First of all if you have the DLC go to the DLC right now, if not.....

If you are a sorcerer and look for the titanite for magic go to Duke archives
if you are a pyromancer and look for the titanite of fire go to Lost Izalith
if you want a large ember go to New Londo
if you want the dark titanite go to the painting world

I'm a simple warrior with a sword and a shield. No magic here.

BTW where to go for the DLC? (playing on PC)

Mistel

Banned
I'm a simple warrior with a sword and a shield. No magic here.

BTW where to go for the DLC? (playing on PC)
After killing the golden golem in darkroot basin and getting the broken pendant from the dukes archive a portal will open where the golden golem spawned. This takes you to the dlc.

Ruuppa

Should I go up against the
Iron Golem
at Sen's Fortress or continue exploring Darkroot Garden/Basin?

If you can kill him, kill him. You'll have to do it eventually. And there's stuff that you can only access in Basin that you can only access after going through the Golem and one other boss after him.

TnK

So, I defeated artorios yesterday, and he is most probably the most fun souls boss to fight against. Not as hard as people make it out to be.
These games really are heavily inspired by berserk. Artorias was basically berserker armor guts going berserk for the first time in the manga. Has the same movesets too.
Boss fight was awesome cause he hits hard, and is extremely fast. Are there more bosses like this later on? He is also the closest boss to flamelurker, but is even faster than flamelurker.

Ruuppa

So, I defeated artorios yesterday, and he is most probably the most fun souls boss to fight against. Not as hard as people make it out to be.
These games really are heavily inspired by berserk. Artorias was basically berserker armor guts going berserk for the first time in the manga. Has the same movesets too.
Boss fight was awesome cause he hits hard, and is extremely fast. Are there more bosses like this later on? He is also the closest boss to flamelurker, but is even faster than flamelurker.

Oh lordy, just keep playing the DLC. You'll see.

Donos

lol you are going to have a looooot of fun. If you liked Artorias, you going to love the last one (of DLC). Don't look it up. But better bring a proper shield with you.

Also: what Ruupa said.

Oh man, your hopes will be answered soon....

Tarkus

I have to buy the Crest of Artorieas again in NG+ ? -_-
Lordvessel got me lazy on foot.
And your Orange Charred Rig is gone too. Run down to the catacombs and get a Great Scythe. You won't regret it. Try the Balder Side Sword and the Uchi for something a little different than the Claymore.

Donos

Thats why fast travel destroy the inmersion of the world but you can also kill the hydra boss and use the ladder there.

I still think the time you get the lordvessel is late enough in the game so you have already travelled the world long enough on foot.
Shortcuts are fine and clever placed but some ways from A to B are still pretty long. Walking them for the 453th time in the endgame would not up my fun with the game.

Also warping back to a far away Bonfire with the bone is almost the same so i don't think the LV is that immersion breaking. Overall a good inclusion into the game.

They could have put in a cost for warping like eg. one humantiy or 5000 souls.

And your Orange Charred Rig is gone too. Run down to the catacombs and get a Great Scythe. You won't regret it. Try the Balder Side Sword and the Uchi for something a little different than the Claymore.
Going to try it tomorrow. Think i already have it.

I still think the time you get the lordvessel is late enough in the game so you have already travelled the world long enough on foot.
Shortcuts are fine and clever placed but some ways from A to B are still pretty long. Walking them for the 453th time in the endgame would not up my fun with the game.

Also warping back to a far away Bonfire with the bone is almost the same so i don't think the LV is that immersion breaking. Overall a good inclusion into the game.

They could have put in a cost for warping like eg. one humantiy or 5000 souls.

I totally agree with you but if you are in your 343th run then you would now several key shotcuts, you can reach anor londo pretty fast. if you go directly to the bells and let tarkus do the hard job with the iron golem

Donos

Bear in mind, Donos is talking about the trip from the Crest of Artorias door to Andre and back, it's like the shortest 'backtrack' ever, lol.

Nah, i'm talking in general about LV and the immersion orochi brought up.

I know the backtrack for the crest was nothing. Was just something i had to get out since i was breezing very efficiently through areas and bosses before and the backtrack broke my "flow" :)

v1perz53

So for the first time in any of my playthroughs of Dark Souls, I got a character stuck and unable to continue. I was messing around doing stuff out of order and I went to do Catacombs and Tomb of the Giants first. I got to Pinwheel by jumping down before the first bridge, beat him because he is incredibly easy, and rested at the first Tomb of the Giants bonfire. After doing some stuff, I tried to go back up through the Catacombs but realized the first bridge I came to was spike side up, and I had no way to cross or get back to Firelink at all, and had to delete the character.

Two things, it is interesting to me that after playing this game for hundreds of hours and learning so many sequence breaks that this was the first time I got stuck. But also, is there really a way to get stuck so that your only recourse is deleting your character? Or did I miss something obvious.

Ruuppa

So, what do I do vs anus of the abyss's multiple hit combo?

Don't get hit by it. He telegraphs it immensely by roaring, so just back off. If you can block 2-3 of the first hits, it should push you out of the range of the rest the combo.

So for the first time in any of my playthroughs of Dark Souls, I got a character stuck and unable to continue. I was messing around doing stuff out of order and I went to do Catacombs and Tomb of the Giants first. I got to Pinwheel by jumping down before the first bridge, beat him because he is incredibly easy, and rested at the first Tomb of the Giants bonfire. After doing some stuff, I tried to go back up through the Catacombs but realized the first bridge I came to was spike side up, and I had no way to cross or get back to Firelink at all, and had to delete the character.

Two things, it is interesting to me that after playing this game for hundreds of hours and learning so many sequence breaks that this was the first time I got stuck. But also, is there really a way to get stuck so that your only recourse is deleting your character? Or did I miss something obvious.

Too late now but there is a way out of there through the breakable wall where the darkmoon ring is. There is a ladder to a collapseable floor room where the twop spell lives. It drops you into the skel room right at the top of the area before the rotating bridges.

I don't think there's any way to get stuck, you always have the darksign if all else fails and the game doesn't let you get anywhere you can't get out of (as long as you know how!)

I love doing that kind of stuff myself, going to TotG on a faith build to rescue
Rhea
asap, doing Demon Ruins asap for the
large flame ember
. You can get some great gear very early and legitimately fight fire with fire against early troll invaders, great fun!

The trick is not to rest at any bonfires so you can warp back, just like we're discussing above - risky but great rewards :)

Nah, i'm talking in general about LV and the immersion orochi brought up.

I know the backtrack for the crest was nothing. Was just something i had to get out since i was breezing very efficiently through areas and bosses before and the backtrack broke my "flow" :)
I know, just teasing. :p

Donos

Wtf, you deleted your character? Seriously? There is no way to get stuck in this game.

So, what do I do vs anus of the abyss's multiple hit combo?

:) buddy m'anus showing his lovely side. What character build are you using? Cloranthy Ring was my lifesaver and a shield with high stability helps too. Stamina is important because he only gives you little breathing pauses. Survived all his longer combos with 1/4 of my stamina (end 40) but that only with an almost maxed Balder Shield so i could do one R2 attack.

Look back 1-2 pages where people gave me tips for him. When he's low on HP it will get nasty. Keep something for his dark magic (eg.Crest Shield).

Looking forward to fight him in NG+. Tears will be shed.

I know, just teasing. :p

UMBASA !

TnK

Done with manus and kalameet. For manus, I actually tanked my way through. I couldn't do anything against the combo, and actually getting hit with all the hits did less damage than dodging one hit then getting hit. Makes no sense.

Kalameet on the other hand was easy with the right shield at hand.

Donos

Done with manus and kalameet. For manus, I actually tanked my way through. I couldn't do anything against the combo, and actually getting hit with all the hits did less damage than dodging one hit then getting hit. Makes no sense.

Kalameet on the other hand was easy with the right shield at hand.

How much VIT did you have (what are your stats)? I raised STR/END prety fast but neglected VIT for a while.

Tried Kalameet two times and wasn't doing that bad but died always from one overhead flame attack.

v1perz53

Too late now but there is a way out of there through the breakable wall where the darkmoon ring is. There is a ladder to a collapseable floor room where the twop spell lives. It drops you into the skel room right at the top of the area before the rotating bridges.

Ahh I knew I missed something, I forgot about the break in the wall by the giant skeleton there. Catacombs has always been one of the areas I feel least comfortable with the layout of.

Wtf, you deleted your character? Seriously? There is no way to get stuck in this game.

:) buddy m'anus showing his lovely side. What character build are you using? Cloranthy Ring was my lifesaver and a shield with high stability helps too. Stamina is important because he only gives you little breathing pauses. Survived all his longer combos with 1/4 of my stamina (end 40) but that only with an almost maxed Balder Shield so i could do one R2 attack.

Look back 1-2 pages where people gave me tips for him. When he's low on HP it will get nasty. Keep something for his dark magic (eg.Crest Shield).

Hah, I was messing around with a concept that ultimately didn't work so I was going to delete the character anyway (testing if Leeroy would invade before you placed the lordvessel). Only played that character for 20 minutes or so anyway, and I've deleted characters for a lot less. I have multiple NG+6 characters so this one didn't exactly have special meaning to me.

Anyway, I died to Manus around 40 times way back when I first got to him trying a "block with shield" strategy, and ended up killing him in 3 tries when I switched to light armor and dodging. His attacks are very telegraphed after you've gotten some experience with them. One of the reasons why the fight is so good in my opinion, as any time you take damage it was directly your fault because you failed to avoid it or got over eager with trying to get hits in. Lastly, his magic attacks get a lot easier if you find the silver pendant. Makes you immune to dark magic for around 3 seconds when you use it, so if you have it at the ready you can use it to negate all his magic attacks. Still hard, because all 3 have different timings when you have to use the pendant, but was much easier for me than trying to roll through, I guess ymmv.

How much VIT did you have (what are your stats)? I raised STR/END prety fast but neglected VIT for a while.

Tried Kalameet two times and wasn't doing that bad but died always from one overhead flame attack.

Kalameet was another that I simply couldn't do with an equip load over 25%. I just needed more speed to get away from that overhead breath. But once you drop to under 25%, three rolls will get you away. Fought that stupid dragon for 40 minutes trying to cut off its tail, damn thing refused to do any of its tail attacks.

So, I've just gone back to this in the first time over 2.5 years... I originally got stuck on Blighttown and lost interest, and I booted it back up last week (sadly I was on a temporary ban so couldn't ask for advice here), ploughed through and managed to get past it, beat Quelaag and move on. I beat Ceaseless Discharge only because I saw the exploit on YouTube, and I can't progress in the Demon Ruins as I'm just too underpowered, so I now have the issue of where to go next. I've met the funny face thing by the Firelink Shrine - Oathkeeper? - and I'm not really sure where to go next. Don't feel powerful enough for anywhere, even though I've clocked over 32 hours and I'm level 46 or 48. Any tips or advice for what to do next would be appreciated. I loved Demon's Souls and want to at least see this through to the end, but I'm not really enjoying it so far and I'm really struggling with almost everything it throws at me.

TnK

Ahh I knew I missed something, I forgot about the break in the wall by the giant skeleton there. Catacombs has always been one of the areas I feel least comfortable with the layout of.

Hah, I was messing around with a concept that ultimately didn't work so I was going to delete the character anyway (testing if Leeroy would invade before you placed the lordvessel). Only played that character for 20 minutes or so anyway, and I've deleted characters for a lot less. I have multiple NG+6 characters so this one didn't exactly have special meaning to me.

Anyway, I died to Manus around 40 times way back when I first got to him trying a "block with shield" strategy, and ended up killing him in 3 tries when I switched to light armor and dodging. His attacks are very telegraphed after you've gotten some experience with them. One of the reasons why the fight is so good in my opinion, as any time you take damage it was directly your fault because you failed to avoid it or got over eager with trying to get hits in. Lastly, his magic attacks get a lot easier if you find the silver pendant. Makes you immune to dark magic for around 3 seconds when you use it, so if you have it at the ready you can use it to negate all his magic attacks. Still hard, because all 3 have different timings when you have to use the pendant, but was much easier for me than trying to roll through, I guess ymmv.

Kalameet was another that I simply couldn't do with an equip load over 25%. I just needed more speed to get away from that overhead breath. But once you drop to under 25%, three rolls will get you away. Fought that stupid dragon for 40 minutes trying to cut off its tail, damn thing refused to do any of its tail attacks.
I could roll away from all of his attacks minus that combo. How are you supposed to roll against that? Mind you, I was doing this with equip load above 25%
I could roll away from his dark magic attacks though, and didn't bother using a shield.

my stats are:
23 VIT
32 or 34 END
41 STR
18 DEX
Crap everything else lol

Use a greatshield vs kalameet. Works really well IMO. One that also has high fire resistance. I used a black greatshield which I think is the Iron Golem's one.

So, I've just gone back to this in the first time over 2.5 years... I originally got stuck on Blighttown and lost interest, and I booted it back up last week (sadly I was on a temporary ban so couldn't ask for advice here), ploughed through and managed to get past it, beat Quelaag and move on. I beat Ceaseless Discharge only because I saw the exploit on YouTube, and I can't progress in the Demon Ruins as I'm just too underpowered, so I now have the issue of where to go next. I've met the funny face thing by the Firelink Shrine - Oathkeeper? - and I'm not really sure where to go next. Don't feel powerful enough for anywhere, even though I've clocked over 32 hours and I'm level 46 or 48. Any tips or advice for what to do next would be appreciated. I loved Demon's Souls and want to at least see this through to the end, but I'm not really enjoying it so far and I'm really struggling with almost everything it throws at me.

Go for Sen's Fortress! If that's too hard try to go for either Darkroot Gardens or The Catacombs.

Donos

After ringing the second bell they show a little cutscene where you see sens fortress opening up. Go there and then to the area you get from the top off the fortress. When you are finished with this two areas (+ another one) you are ready for the rest.

v1perz53

I could roll away from all of his attacks minus that combo. How are you supposed to roll against that? Mind you, I was doing this with equip load above 25%
I could roll away from his dark magic attacks though, and didn't bother using a shield.

I don't think you can actually roll away from the combo above 25%. I had to drop to my "running a long way to my corpse so I want to go fast" sub 25% set from my normal ~40% set for that fight because of it. Of course, I had almost base Vit on that character so I couldn't just take the hits, but I think that is actually one of the better options with higher equip loads, you take more damage just barely missing getting away then blocking the whole time and eating some damage.

I just find the fight more fun with a roll and dodge strategy because it is very satisfying to finish with full HP and all my estus left (which rarely happens, but it can, and is very satisfying!)

Mistel

Banned
Use a greatshield vs kalameet. Works really well IMO. One that also has high fire resistance. I used a black greatshield which I think is the Iron Golem's one.
That will be the black iron greatshield then it's got high fire resistance.

Donos

lool, forgot that the way to Nito is sealed till i have the lordvessel again. Now i have to walk all the way up through the tomb / catacombs...

Top Bottom