• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Sullichin

I played on PS3, bought the P2D edition a while back on a Steam sale. I assume I'm making GFWL a bigger deal than it is and I should just play right?

Well, unfortunately online isn't great on the PC. There is an active player base, but the matchmaking is simply borked compared to consoles really. You won't have trouble in the known PVP areas, but it definitely takes longer to find a match.

As for using GFWL for the DRM, it's either going to work for you fine without problem or you're going to be googling some shit soon.

That being said I can't go back to the PS3 version still. The PC version is better in every other way - almost no loading times, better graphics & performance with DSFix.

I've just beaten Dark Souls twice (moved some saves around so I could get both endings so I only played through the game once), and I wanted to ask people's opinions on the Gwyn boss fight? I thought it was piss-easy to be honest, I felt kinda let down by it.
I did summon Solaire though, so should I have just gone one on one?

Blinck

I've just beaten Dark Souls twice (moved some saves around so I could get both endings so I only played through the game once), and I wanted to ask people's opinions on the Gwyn boss fight? I thought it was piss-easy to be honest, I felt kinda let down by it.

I think Gwyn is fairly hard if you don't summon and if you don't know how to parry. If you can parry then the fight is even easier than with a summon, but if you don't parry it's actually a very cool and challenging boss fight IMO. I really can't believe they didn't patch the damn game to make him "unparryable"...it's just so laughable.

I never learned to parry, I just used Solaire as a distraction and stabbed him in the back.
NG+ I'm going to role play as a Black Knight so I shall try to fight him 1-on-1 then.

v1perz53

I think Gwyn is fairly hard if you don't summon and if you don't know how to parry. If you can parry then the fight is even easier than with a summon, but if you don't parry it's actually a very cool and challenging boss fight IMO. I really can't believe they didn't patch the damn game to make him "unparryable"...it's just so laughable.

Honestly I tried doing the fight on NG+ without parrying at all and it felt nearly unwinnable, especially over 25% load. He does fire damage with melee attacks, so even a 100% shield will still have you taking damage, and only maybe 10% of his attack combos have a long enough window after to heal before he uses another attack, so it is technically possible for him to use a series of attacks that get you from 100% to dead while blocking and never give you an opportunity to heal without getting hit. With under 25% load it is possible to get more openings, but he has so many gap closers that he can use to hit you while healing that it is still very risky, and without poise a small mistake can lead to him comboing you to death.

That said, using solaire makes the fight a total joke (as it does pretty much every fight aside from O+S and gaping dragon which is already a joke), and using parries makes the fight too easy. I think they were stuck with it, if they patched out parrying the fight would be incredibly frustrating but with it in, the fight is super easy.

tl;dr Gwyn is very very easy with solaire or parrying, and very very hard without those (on NG+ at least)

Well, unfortunately online isn't great on the PC. There is an active player base, but the matchmaking is simply borked compared to consoles really. You won't have trouble in the known PVP areas, but it definitely takes longer to find a match.

As for using GFWL for the DRM, it's either going to work for you fine without problem or you're going to be googling some shit soon.

That being said I can't go back to the PS3 version still. The PC version is better in every other way - almost no loading times, better graphics & performance with DSFix.

I'm not really interested in PVP, just enjoying the experience again.

KingV

So I'm starting to learn to parry and am not sure what characters are and are not parryable. Can you parry pretty much all humanoidish enemies or only the ones that ate roughly human sized?

Seems like you cannot parry the great stone knights... Or maybe I suck.

v1perz53

I played on PS3, bought the P2D edition a while back on a Steam sale. I assume I'm making GFWL a bigger deal than it is and I should just play right?

I had no issues with GFWL except for the fact that I associated my game to the wrong account and now have two windows live IDs. In fact, I could never in a million years go back to the PS3 version (in which I have 100 hours and a platinum trophy). Walking into Blighttown and New Londo without a single frame of lag was eye opening. And with DSFix, a must download for any PC users, the game looks gorgeous, so many times better than on consoles. I play games almost exclusively on console but this is one I would definitely recommend on PC for playing through again.

Mistel

Banned
So I'm starting to learn to parry and am not sure what characters are and are not parryable. Can you parry pretty much all humanoidish enemies or only the ones that ate roughly human sized?

Seems like you cannot parry the great stone knights... Or maybe I suck.
It's mostly the human sized humanoid enemies you can parry. The big ones like the stone knights you can't.

v1perz53

If I have the game on Steam and use the Steam family sharing, can my boyfriend play the game using his own GFWL account?

No, the game requires you to put your CD key into GFWL and ties it intrinsically into that account. I know this very well because I added the CD key to my wrong GFWL account and I couldn't even play offline with my regular username, ended up buying the game again for $5 steam sale just to fix this.

v1perz53

Bah. Could he play offline at all? Or maybe I could convince him to play using my GFWL credentials....

He could technically play offline but he could never save, basically meaning he couldn't play at all. Unless people have found tricks or ways around it, the game doesn't save until you log into a GFWL account (which can be offline), and will only run if that GFWL account is associated with a unique Dark Souls CD key (which generally needs to be online to register the CD key).

gogosox82

LOL I've only summoned Solaire once. I find his quest chain to be too much of a hassle to deal with honestly. If you can't parry and don't use summons, Gywn can be pretty tough. He's very aggressive and doesn't give you a ton of room. When I didn't know how to parry, I used to kite him around the rocks on the left side of the room and bait him into attacking and then get a hit or two off (or heal if I got hit). Once I would learned how to parry, I would just bait an attack, parry and then lock him into that two handed swing animation by just drinking estus since he'll always get up and do that swing if you heal. He's usually dead in about 10 seconds. I have no idea they made him parryable. Makes him way too easy.

Donos

Honestly I tried doing the fight on NG+ without parrying at all and it felt nearly unwinnable, especially over 25% load. He does fire damage with melee attacks, so even a 100% shield will still have you taking damage, and only maybe 10% of his attack combos have a long enough window after to heal before he uses another attack, so it is technically possible for him to use a series of attacks that get you from 100% to dead while blocking and never give you an opportunity to heal without getting hit. With under 25% load it is possible to get more openings, but he has so many gap closers that he can use to hit you while healing that it is still very risky, and without poise a small mistake can lead to him comboing you to death.

That said, using solaire makes the fight a total joke (as it does pretty much every fight aside from O+S and gaping dragon which is already a joke), and using parries makes the fight too easy. I think they were stuck with it, if they patched out parrying the fight would be incredibly frustrating but with it in, the fight is super easy.

tl;dr Gwyn is very very easy with solaire or parrying, and very very hard without those (on NG+ at least)

Very good description. I don't parry and fucked up Solaires quest shortly before, so i fought him the manly way. There are really only tiny windows to heal or make 1 attack between his barrage of attacks. And he still made damage to my Balder Shield +15 so you have to heal sometime.

butman

Hi guys, like you recommended me to go to the DLC (after passing Anor Londo and talked to the snake about killing the Big Bosses) first i must go to Darkroot Garden/Basin to kill the golden golem, and then get the broken pendant from Duke's Archives.
I'm at the Darkroot Garden now (killed the Butterfly and the Water Hydra already) and opened the passage to the Burgol again.
Now, after the Hydra, i climbed the ladders and i choosed to go to the path to the right (i skipped the bridge, cause the big cats are too strong) and just killed all the 5, i think they was, ghost heroes (the archer, magician, etc etc).

And now i'm in three choices:

1. I found a tower where a cat tell me not to go to Sir Astorias Tomb. I'm at the YES or NO choice.

2. There's a door with magical power, like the one near the beginning of Darkroot Garden (is the other side or is another door?) but i thinked that the magic will dissapear after killing the 5 heroes. What to do?

3. Go back and face the cats passing the bridge.

What's the best choice?

Finished the DLC (Manus wasnt too bad) and have also hit my main soft caps :(.

SL. 85

Str - 40
End - 30
Vit - 30

Str build FYI

any idea of what I just pump points into now? I'm thinking max out Res next....
Also, was the dude in the hat a BloodBorne Easter egg?

Mistel

Banned
Any idea of what I just pump points into now? I'm thinking max out Res next.... Also, was the dude in the hat a BloodBorne Easter egg?
Res is a waste of points, you should raise your STR to 50, END to 40, and VIT 50 so you meet the hard caps past that point you get less returns.

TnK

For most stats, yes
Well, that sucks. I thought it was 50. Also, no STR scaling on the dragon greatsword is bullshit (since it needs 50 STR).
I don't think you can actually roll away from the combo above 25%. I had to drop to my "running a long way to my corpse so I want to go fast" sub 25% set from my normal ~40% set for that fight because of it. Of course, I had almost base Vit on that character so I couldn't just take the hits, but I think that is actually one of the better options with higher equip loads, you take more damage just barely missing getting away then blocking the whole time and eating some damage.

I just find the fight more fun with a roll and dodge strategy because it is very satisfying to finish with full HP and all my estus left (which rarely happens, but it can, and is very satisfying!)
Dodging and attacking is the most satisfying strategy, I agree.
That will be the black iron greatshield then it's got high fire resistance.

Oh yeah, sorry for that. I thought I got it from the iron golem. If I am not mistaken, I get it from anor londo correct?

Also, beat the game (and DLC) at 31 hours. I think half the time of most first playthroughs, correct?

Overall, this is a better game compared to DS2 in terms of level design and atmosphere. Demon's Souls is still the best game in the souls series. The one thing that bothers me in this game, is that STR builds are not effective like in DeS and DS2. I am already at full STR, and even with STR weapons, I barely do good damage fast enough. I realized that ultra great weapons in general are too slow for most bosses. Bosses in this game are really fast compared to both DeS and DS2.

EDIT: I have the F2 key for the undead sylum from the first guy you meet, yet can't open the locked door where I can get the iron ring, what gives?

Also, are there any good spells to give something like dark/curse weapon in this game?

Mistel

Banned
Oh yeah, sorry for that. I thought I got it from the iron golem. If I am not mistaken, I get it from anor londo correct?

EDIT: I have the F2 key for the undead sylum from the first guy you meet, yet can't open the locked door where I can get the iron ring, what gives?
Yes you did get it in Anor londo that cathedral to be exact. That's not the key for the door so it doesn't open.

v1perz53

Overall, this is a better game compared to DS2 in terms of level design and atmosphere. Demon's Souls is still the best game in the souls series. The one thing that bothers me in this game, is that STR builds are not effective like in DeS and DS2.

There is an F2 east and F2 west key, you need the other one to get through that door to the iron ring. It is
in firelink on top of one of the building's roofs

Also, it's funny, as non useful as you say str weapons are in DkS, that is exactly how I feel about dex weapons in DkS II. In 2, all you really have are curved swords, katanas and piercing swords, all of which are kind of the same. And for PvE you have really limited dex options. I think I got a lot of mileage out of Str and Quality weapons in DkS 1, I really enjoyed using the Zwei, Serpent Sword, and the different clubs, but definitely dex weapons feel like you have more fun options.

I disagree about Demon's being the best, but only because I can't decide what is the most important to me. To me, DkS 1 has the best PvE combat and the best world design in terms of cohesiveness, DkS 2 has the best spell system and graphics but really ruined a lot of the good gameplay of DkS 1 and Demon's, and Demon's has the best varied worlds, atmosphere and story but markedly worse graphics and minorly worse combat systems than DkS 1. I love all the games, but I really struggle to rank them because Demon's and DkS 1 both do different things better. Both are superior to DkS 2 in my eyes though.

butman

Hi guys, like you recommended me to go to the DLC (after passing Anor Londo and talked to the snake about killing the Big Bosses) first i must go to Darkroot Garden/Basin to kill the golden golem, and then get the broken pendant from Duke's Archives.
I'm at the Darkroot Garden now (killed the Butterfly and the Water Hydra already) and opened the passage to the Burgol again.
Now, after the Hydra, i climbed the ladders and i choosed to go to the path to the right (i skipped the bridge, cause the big cats are too strong) and just killed all the 5, i think they was, ghost heroes (the archer, magician, etc etc).

And now i'm in three choices:

1. I found a tower where a cat tell me not to go to Sir Astorias Tomb. I'm at the YES or NO choice.

2. There's a door with magical power, like the one near the beginning of Darkroot Garden (is the other side or is another door?) but i thinked that the magic will dissapear after killing the 5 heroes. What to do?

3. Go back and face the cats passing the bridge.

What's the best choice?

Any help please?

v1perz53

Any help please?

If you want direct answers:

That door
is the other side of the one you saw. You have to buy the 20,000 soul item from Andre to open it

As for your options, that area is honestly
kind of a big circle, you can pick any direction and end up back where you started, then do the area boss after exploring everywhere else

The yes/no option from the cat is just asking if you want to join a covenant. It will make the ghost guys in the forest not attack you if you join, and has some PvP/Online function.

But like sullichin said above, none of those areas will take you to the DLC.

butman

You don't want to actually climb up the ladder in the hydra area to get to the DLC. Hug the wall with the ladder and continue in the water until you find an alcove that will have the gold Golem / DLC entrance.

OK, just killed the golden golem (i really thinked that it will be a BOSS fight, but it's just like the previous one) Talked to the lady and said YES.

So now i only need the broke pendandt from Duke's Archives and go back where the golem was killed.

If you want direct answers:

That door
is the other side of the one you saw. You have to buy the 20,000 soul item from Andre to open it

As for your options, that area is honestly
kind of a big circle, you can pick any direction and end up back where you started, then do the area boss after exploring everywhere else

The yes/no option from the cat is just asking if you want to join a covenant. It will make the ghost guys in the forest not attack you if you join, and has some PvP/Online function.

But like sullichin said above, none of those areas will take you to the DLC.

Thanks for the guidance.

Ruuppa

Is it safe to allow 60fps in dsfix? I don't want to get banned or have my game corrupt or something.

It's safe in regards to both of those, but 60fps can cause some strange behaviour in the game otherwise. Some ladder(s) will take you down to the center of the earth if you slide down them, for example.

Is it safe to allow 60fps in dsfix? I don't want to get banned or have my game corrupt or something.

I personally wouldn't risk it, while it doesn't corrupt the game people have been banned for it and while some may have slipped through the cracks I don't think it would be wise to tempt fate, and at times people have fallen through the floor, along with other weird glitches. I used it without the 60 fps and it's marvelous, jolly co-operation with friends.

Sorcering cant parry tough....

You don't need to though, if you get 50 INT, wear Crown of Dusk, use Dark Bead and Logan Catalyst he gets obliterated after like 4 casts on NG+. You can also use Tin Crystallization Catalyst, or Manus Catalyst but they halve your spell casts which isn't too much of a problem since you get 6 dark beads per playthrough. For example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_nCed101ec Edit: I just noticed I have 12 casts while using the Manus Catalyst, that must be NG+++ heh, just goes to show how much it destroys him.

Bah. Could he play offline at all? Or maybe I could convince him to play using my GFWL credentials....

You can do that, also Dark Souls goes on sale quiet often, it goes to like $3-$5 or something, you could wait until that happens and get him his own copy.

I find Solaire to do more harm then good, personally. Not sure if spoiler:
He gives Gwyn 1.5x more health, and uses Lighting Spear which Gwyn is resistant to. He's good as a meat shield and distraction, but that's basically it, and just like Gaping Dragon he hardly ever survives.
I just go in with a Black Knight Shield +5. It gives 100% physical and 95% fire resist. It also has really good stability so you can block without getting stunned, except when he combos you, of course. For healing, I use bait his attack then get to a stalagmite and heal, as for his gap closers, when he does his leap attack just roll towards him like you would with Artorias, works for me.

OK, just killed the golden golem (i really thinked that it will be a BOSS fight, but it's just like the previous one) Talked to the lady and said YES.

So now i only need the broke pendandt from Duke's Archives and go back where the golem was killed.

Auchs, very late response but you can also summon her to buy her spells (and a nice armor set) before the broken pendant because she dissappears when you get the pendant and get some lore before jumping when you reach the DLC. There also a vender who sells her spells in the DLC anyway

Scrabble

It's safe in regards to both of those, but 60fps can cause some strange behaviour in the game otherwise. Some ladder(s) will take you down to the center of the earth if you slide down them, for example.

If you quit and restart, will it start you off under the level or before you went down the ladder?

v1perz53

I find Solaire to do more harm then good, personally. Not sure if spoiler:
He gives Gwyn 1.5x more health, and uses Lighting Spear which Gwyn is resistant to. He's good as a meat shield and distraction, but that's basically it, and just like Gaping Dragon he hardly ever survives.
I just go in with a Black Knight Shield +5. It gives 100% physical and 95% fire resist. It also has really good stability so you can block without getting stunned, except when he combos you, of course. For healing, I use bait his attack then get to a stalagmite and heal, as for his gap closers, when he does his leap attack just roll towards him like you would with Artorias, works for me.

The main reason I like Solaire for Gwyn (and every 1 boss fight really) is because of how "aggro" works in Dark Souls. If Solaire hit a boss last and is closest to them, the boss will attack him nearly always, giving you ample time to heal. In addition, bosses rarely change targets mid combo, so if he starts a series of attacks against Solaire you can safely unload your entire stamina bar in attacks without much worry. Really, using stalagmites to heal worked about 60% for me, whereas healing with openings given by Solaire was 95%. My god is he useless for Gaping Dragon though.

The main reason I like Solaire for Gwyn (and every 1 boss fight really) is because of how "aggro" works in Dark Souls. If Solaire hit a boss last and is closest to them, the boss will attack him nearly always, giving you ample time to heal. In addition, bosses rarely change targets mid combo, so if he starts a series of attacks against Solaire you can safely unload your entire stamina bar in attacks without much worry. Really, using stalagmites to heal worked about 60% for me, whereas healing with openings given by Solaire was 95%. My god is he useless for Gaping Dragon though.

Gaping all you have to is stand in front of him, let him start charging you, move slightly to the left or right and watch as he crashes into a wall and stuns himself. Solaire gets some of it, just not the moving out of the way part.

v1perz53

Gaping all you have to is stand in front of him, let him start charging you, move slightly to the left or right and watch as he crashes into a wall and stuns himself. Solaire gets some of it, just not the moving out of the way part.

Oh yea gaping dragon might be the easiest boss in all of Dark Souls. All the more funny that Solaire can't seem to handle it! Interesting aside, my first playthrough I went in mostly blind and didn't take the master key, so gaping dragon was the third boss I fought. I didn't have a good enough handle on how the game was supposed to be played yet (hadn't played Demon's yet) and I actually died repeatedly and had to look up a strategy online. Needless to say I felt pretty silly when I learned what to do, and it made me start looking at the game and approaching boss fights differently.

Two handed demon great axe or demon machete. If like greatswords try a man serpent greatsword.

I love the Man Serpent Greatsword moveset. For a weapon that size and hard hitting, it has a pretty reasonably fast swing speed.

Two handed demon great axe or demon machete. If like greatswords try a man serpent greatsword.

Thanks, I actually meant to post that question in DS2, I got confused between the two threads because I kept switching between them heh. I tried editing it out when when I realized but it was too late but by the time I hit save it was already too late D:. But that will actually come in handy if I make a melee in DS, I have like all casters for DS 1 might go back to DS 1 soon. Thanks again.

Oh yea gaping dragon might be the easiest boss in all of Dark Souls. All the more funny that Solaire can't seem to handle it! Interesting aside, my first playthrough I went in mostly blind and didn't take the master key, so gaping dragon was the third boss I fought. I didn't have a good enough handle on how the game was supposed to be played yet (hadn't played Demon's yet) and I actually died repeatedly and had to look up a strategy online. Needless to say I felt pretty silly when I learned what to do, and it made me start looking at the game and approaching boss fights differently.

I died a few times to him too, it was also my first time playing *highfive*. I think I either asked my friend for help, or looked it up, I can't remember. A lot of DS 1 was ruined for me, either by watching a friend play, or by looking something up when I gave up too easily. This time I decided to blind it completely, it took 80+ hours but was so worth it some things were spoiled, but not too majorly.

butman

About weapons from the souls from bosses:

After killing Sif, i realised that i have a lot of Boss Souls with me. I'm on my first run:

- Is really necessary to forge some of special weapons from this souls on my first run?

- Or i can finish the game without problem with +10 current weapons and the weapons that i find as long i advance in the game, and use this boss souls to level up?

My stats atm:

Pz3WRb1.png

v1perz53

After killing Sif, i realised that i have a lot of Boss Souls with me. I'm on my first run:

- Is really necessary to forge some of special weapons from this souls on my first run?

- Or i can finish the game without problem with +10 current weapons and the weapons that i find as long i advance in the game, and use this boss souls to level up?

You absolutely can finish the game, NG+ and all of the rest without ever using the boss soul weapons. In fact, boss soul weapons aren't even necessarily better than regular weapons, they are usually just a tad more unique.

In Dark Souls, it is more important to use a weapon you like and that has a good set of attacks that you are comfortable with than one that people consider "better", and you could honestly beat the whole game with the weapon your class started with in many cases without too much difficulty.

I used all the boss souls for extra levels my first time through the game (and only regretted it when I decided to go for the platinum trophy and realized I needed the weapons for it hah).

Edit: weapons go all the way to +15 in Dark Souls 1 on the regular upgrade path, so you'd want to finish at +15 not +10, but you likely don't have that ember yet. Just wanted to clarify!

Agree with above poster. Boss weapons are not remotely necessary and typically aren't much if any better than upgraded normal weapons. They are mostly just for fun and for some unique traits that they have. I made a few boss weapons and enjoyed using them but always ended up switching back to something normal with a reliable move set.

Defeated Seath! Man, the wind-up on the BKGS can be a pain in the ass. I found myself frequently being hit by Seath's tail attacks :/ Didn't help that I was cursed.

So, it still bothers me that my BKGS +5 is rated at 307, whereas the Wiki shows it should be 330. Did a patch increase weapon damage? I feel like that may be the only thing that would make sense.

Defeated Seath! Man, the wind-up on the BKGS can be a pain in the ass. I found myself frequently being hit by Seath's tail attacks :/ Didn't help that I was cursed.

So, it still bothers me that my BKGS +5 is rated at 307, whereas the Wiki shows it should be 330. Did a patch increase weapon damage? I feel like that may be the only thing that would make sense.

The GoD version got updated to be compatible with the DLC with the latest patch dunno it that counts and the ps3 version have a different patch

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You can do that, also Dark Souls goes on sale quiet often, it goes to like $3-$5 or something, you could wait until that happens and get him his own copy.
Hah yeah I guess I could. I already double-dipped for the PC version though (had it on PS3 since day one). I really want him to play it because it's such a good game and he's been holding it off forever but he keeps giving the GFWL excluse.... ;_;

Hah yeah I guess I could. I already double-dipped for the PC version though (had it on PS3 since day one). I really want him to play it because it's such a good game and he's been holding it off forever but he keeps giving the GFWL excluse.... ;_;

Using GFWL just for Dark Souls isn't even that bad, I don't get peoples hatred with it. Tell him to Git Gud and to stop being a casul lel.

Top Bottom