• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

v1perz53

Sunbro covenant is relatively easy to max, if you stay low enough level for long enough. Around 20SL in Gargoyles or 50SL for Fats & Slim should get you pretty fast medals. As a last resort, the Chaos Bug farm is always there for you.

Major problem with sunbro is that you need a minimum of 25 faith to even JOIN the covenant (used to be 50!), but it is reduced by 5 for every successful time someone summons you and you help them kill a boss. So if you are not playing a faith character and didn't realize/decide to get the trophy until later in the game or even NG+ when it is much rarer to be summoned for co-op, it can be annoying. Or if, like me, you rolled an int character then decided to get the trophy, but are forced to play offline because of school internet! Hooray for an int character with 25 faith.

Ruuppa

Major problem with sunbro is that you need a minimum of 25 faith to even JOIN the covenant (used to be 50!), but it is reduced by 5 for every successful time someone summons you and you help them kill a boss. So if you are not playing a faith character and didn't realize/decide to get the trophy until later in the game or even NG+ when it is much rarer to be summoned for co-op, it can be annoying. Or if, like me, you rolled an int character then decided to get the trophy, but are forced to play offline because of school internet! Hooray for an int character with 25 faith.

For sure, if you realize what you need too late, it's extremely annoying to get into the covenant and then get the medals. And with no stat-reset outside of cheating, you can "ruin" a character just trying to get in. Playing Offline and trying to get in is even worse.. That just sucks.

It wouldnt like increase the changes of killing her?

She won't die on one hit. Uh. If that's what you're asking? Her tail doesn't have a lot of HP, and usually a big vertical smash from a strong weapon is enough to cut it, you just need to line it up at the start.

If you aggro her, then your strategy is good, since you need fast hits to get her tail without hitting her body.

She won't die on one hit. Uh. If that's what you're asking? Her tail doesn't have a lot of HP, and usually a big vertical smash from a strong weapon is enough to cut it, you just need to line it up at the start.

If you aggro her, then your strategy is good, since you need fast hits to get her tail without hitting her body.

I had an accident with the Zwei hitting her butt instead her tail.....

If I get Priscilla's tail (which is rarely) it's usually a job for great combustion with PW, dusk crown, bellowing ring and fully ascended pyro flame, one hit wonder iirc.

Casting the no-magic miracle, poison or bopping her with a dagger also lets you know her location as she turns invisible.

v1perz53

If I get Priscilla's tail (which is rarely) it's usually a job for great combustion with PW, dusk crown, bellowing ring and fully ascended pyro flame, one hit wonder iirc.

Casting the no-magic miracle, poison or bopping her with a dagger also lets you know her location as she turns invisible.

If you want to find her when she's invisible you can also use the snow on the ground. She makes footsteps in it as she moves. Though I've found she is always slightly off where I think she is based on her footsteps, but never too bad.

Oh yeah of course the footsteps, and I agree she's always a bit off from them.

I also like to funnel her to the archway, if you're on the stairs lobbing a few fire orbs in the directon of the archway will make her appear too.

v1perz53

The dream is dead. I'm back at school now and my internet blocks online gaming, so I tried to tether from my phone to see what connections would be like. I just got backstabbed by an invader that was in a separate room from me. Oh well, what can you do.

Crystal Knight Shield - anyone ever found a good use for it? I've never equipped it once since day one, but tripping through the Archives again made me think on it.

Crystal Knight Shield - anyone ever found a good use for it? I've never equipped it once since day one, but tripping through the Archives again made me think on it.

I don't like crystal upgrades personally, sure they're nice and all but the only way to repair is by upgrading them and once you reach the max upgraded you're SOL.

TnK

There is an F2 east and F2 west key, you need the other one to get through that door to the iron ring. It is
in firelink on top of one of the building's roofs

Also, it's funny, as non useful as you say str weapons are in DkS, that is exactly how I feel about dex weapons in DkS II. In 2, all you really have are curved swords, katanas and piercing swords, all of which are kind of the same. And for PvE you have really limited dex options. I think I got a lot of mileage out of Str and Quality weapons in DkS 1, I really enjoyed using the Zwei, Serpent Sword, and the different clubs, but definitely dex weapons feel like you have more fun options.

I disagree about Demon's being the best, but only because I can't decide what is the most important to me. To me, DkS 1 has the best PvE combat and the best world design in terms of cohesiveness, DkS 2 has the best spell system and graphics but really ruined a lot of the good gameplay of DkS 1 and Demon's, and Demon's has the best varied worlds, atmosphere and story but markedly worse graphics and minorly worse combat systems than DkS 1. I love all the games, but I really struggle to rank them because Demon's and DkS 1 both do different things better. Both are superior to DkS 2 in my eyes though.
For me, it is demon's, then Dark 1 comes at a close second, and finally comes dark souls 2 at a bit of a distance. DaS2 is still a great game though, but not as great as both DeS and DaS1.

I am actually a bit discouraged to go through NG+ in DaS1 because my STR build character isn't very effective. Is there a way to redeem this by changing my build in NG+? That, along with the fact that there are no dragon bone smasher/black cryptsword type weapons in DaS1. I know ultra Greatswords exist, but none of them come close to how good these two swords are.

Also, I always play on 60 FPS and never really got banned. Only problem is that when sliding down the stairs, I clipped out of the stage and fell ad infinitum. Good thing alt+F4 doesn't save your state in this game like im DaS2.

Ruuppa

I don't like crystal upgrades personally, sure they're nice and all but the only way to repair is by upgrading them and once you reach the max upgraded you're SOL.

Crystal weapon upgrades are damn useful for characters with the appropriate stats for them (Str/Dex), since they gain more damage than a +15 weapon. But only if you have an infinite source for the weapons. Really good for backstabs and parries as well since those don't use any durability.

Never saw the point in Crystal for shields tho'. I guess it's useful, if you've got infinite shields, because even at +0 Crystal they have the same stability as a +15 normal. And upgrading a Crystal equip repairs it to full, so you can use one for five times as long.

turbocat

Does anyone here have experience with leaving Dark Souls for a while and then coming back to finish it later?

I haven't played in probably...2-3 months, but I was obsessed a while back. I made it to the point where I was
collecting souls for the Lordvessel.
Obviously I can look up a guide and whatnot, but how long does it take to get the hang of the controls and systems again?

Mistel

Banned
Considering that you can get infinite demon great axes they're very useful for crystal weapon plus it gains S STR scaling.
I guess someone might use the one they got a the parish as a shield that's all I can think of.

I guess someone might use the one they got a the parish as a shield that's all I can think of.
Nah, the crystal one in Dukes :)

My only thought was if it had high curse resistance for Seath, but I don't think it's anything out of the ordinary. Maybe it was a holdover from something that got tweaked - like maybe crystal did used to have great curse resistance or something at one point in dev. Only thing I can think of, I'm out of ideas!

entremet

I just started and doing a melee character, but I'm getting destroyed in Undeadburg.

The section with the damn metal boar is vexing me.

Donos

I just started and doing a melee character, but I'm getting destroyed in Undeadburg.

Every section with archers interfering with you fighting other enemies is a bit harder. Just keep moving or lure the enemies away from the archers. Oh and be careful when going up the spiral stairs.

The metal boar is tough. 2hand him so you don't stagger with every hit.

Mistel

Banned
Nah, the crystal one in Dukes :)

My only thought was if it had high curse resistance for Seath, but I don't think it's anything out of the ordinary. Maybe it was a holdover from something that got tweaked - like maybe crystal did used to have great curse resistance or something at one point in dev. Only thing I can think of, I'm out of ideas!
The only reason I can see it being there is that it's a crystal weapon and it's related to the creation of crystal weapons by Seath.

Ruuppa

You find a couple of Alluring Skulls in his area, where the two crossbowmen are. Throw those into the fires, and the boar should charge them and take a ton of damage from it.

The only reason I can see it being there is that it's a crystal weapon and it's related to the creation of crystal weapons by Seath.
Oh yeah I guess so - probably all it is. I was looking at it more from a gameplay clue rather than a lore clue. Like how you get a bunch of prism stones before the crystal caves, stuff like that. I was overthinking it. :)

v1perz53

I'll echo what was said above, you aren't meant to actually fight the boar (in melee at least). Clear out what you can (should be the first sword/shield guy up the stairs, a sword/spear guy on the right and another sword/shield that comes after you), then quickly go upstairs. Deal with the stuff there, and the one guy who comes up, and from the small bridge thing where the archers (crossbowmen but who's counting) were standing you can throw an alluring skull into the fire, boar will basically kill himself. As the alluring skulls are right there, you have to assume this is how the devs wanted you to handle this fight.

The game loves to place items specifically in places as hints as to what you should be doing (poison resist gear early in blighttown etc., why people were discussing crystal shield earlier), so the fact that alluring skulls are up there is no accident. Though it is sometimes very cryptic, I definitely didn't pick up on that way to kill the boar.

If you really want to melee it, most jumping attacks will do full damage even if all your other weapon attacks are bouncing off and deflecting. Not really sure why, but it is still kind of tough getting a good opening for one, the boar's charge has incredible tracking. Thankfully there are a very limited number of those enemies in the game.

So after clearing Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith, I decided to switch to the MSGS and upgrade it for dat A scaling.

Turns out it's a post-patch addition :|

Considering that you can get infinite demon great axes they're very useful for crystal weapon plus it gains S STR scaling.

Hm, I guess that's true. I just use Greatsword of Artorias Divine. It has nice scaling across all four stats, and helps a lot in certain areas of the game. I forgot that durability in that game is extremely high, crystal weapons don't break as often as regular weapons do in DS2 :p.

I'll echo what was said above, you aren't meant to actually fight the boar (in melee at least). Clear out what you can (should be the first sword/shield guy up the stairs, a sword/spear guy on the right and another sword/shield that comes after you), then quickly go upstairs. Deal with the stuff there, and the one guy who comes up, and from the small bridge thing where the archers (crossbowmen but who's counting) were standing you can throw an alluring skull into the fire, boar will basically kill himself. As the alluring skulls are right there, you have to assume this is how the devs wanted you to handle this fight.

The game loves to place items specifically in places as hints as to what you should be doing (poison resist gear early in blighttown etc., why people were discussing crystal shield earlier), so the fact that alluring skulls are up there is no accident. Though it is sometimes very cryptic, I definitely didn't pick up on that way to kill the boar.

If you really want to melee it, most jumping attacks will do full damage even if all your other weapon attacks are bouncing off and deflecting. Not really sure why, but it is still kind of tough getting a good opening for one, the boar's charge has incredible tracking. Thankfully there are a very limited number of those enemies in the game.

I always baited the boar to the stairs, waited for him to turn around, then gently, but forcefully inserted my weapon in his rear. Multiple times if need be. I didn't really know about the whole lead boar into fire thing until I saw a youtuber do it. Also, another way to clear that area is by just rushing through, getting to the bridge and jumping through before the guy can close the portcullis. You have enough time to do it, so it's a nice way to skip most of the area.

v1perz53

Thanks

Gonna borrow DS2 from a coworker again to see if I can get into it. Tried before and didn't care for it at all :(

At least now I got Demons and Dark under my belt. Still prefer the former in the end...

What I've generally seen is that people seem to prefer the first one they play. Most who have played Demon's before Dark seem to prefer it, while those who play Dark first have a hard time going back. I played Dark first and while I really liked Demon's I found some things really hard to get over, and definitely prefer the former.

I also had a hard time getting into DkS 2 when I first picked it up, it felt so incredibly different from the other Souls games. Though it eventually clicked and I really like it, but I do like the other two more.

butman

The room where you first meet Seath up the elevator is not the area where you fight him for real, forget that room - for now, and explore the area further - the levers in that area besides the lift, from memory:
the one that moves the bookcase not far from the balcony bonfire, the one past that in the room with all the treasure chests which lowers a flight of stairs
- this is the direction you want to head in to face Seath for real :)

Finally get to "real" Seath. Nothing much changed from his attacks, besides that now i can move around him. But he killed me on the first encounter, and for the first time i'm cursed!
Half of my HP, the game adviced me that i must heal it with a item, that surely i don't have, or go to Now Londo (only explored the half of it) and reach a healer there.

What do you recommend me to do? Get to Seath with the half of my health? Or get a cure?

Finally get to "real" Seath. Nothing much changed from his attacks, besides that now i can move around him. But he killed me on the first encounter, and for the first time i'm cursed!
Half of my HP, the game adviced me that i must heal it with a item, that surely i don't have, or go to Now Londo (only explored the half of it) and reach a healer there.

What do you recommend me to do? Get to Seath with the half of my health? Or get a cure?

It depends on your playstyle you can also go to the merchant on the sewers to buy her some purge stones

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So I started playing the DLC after giving up awhile ago due to the latter areas of the game sucking and wow, I'm pleasantly surprised. The bosses actually require good reaction time, skill, and don't feel cheap as all hell. Gonna finish the DLC and then crush Gywn afterwards. (Then probably cry until Bloodborne comes out, I was never big on NG+)

Some choice moments:

Got greedy against the Sanctuary Guardian and got punished for it hard.

OJQ9Tbr.jpg

Probably my favorite boss fight in the souls series so far, Knight Artorias. Such an intense and punishing fight while still being fun as hell. I never bothered to use roll attacks until I got to this beast.

Very satisfying to defeat.

Hyunkel6

Got back to the game after a 2-year hiatus. I gave up after losing all my souls wandering aimlessly in the depths back in August 2012.

Started a new game with pyromancer, got the drake sword and finally made my way out of the depths. Next stop: Blighttown.

I also got the Black Knight Greatsword out of luck (the knight fell). Is it worth using? The 32 str minimum requirement seems quite steep (I'm at 16 str).

Also, I think I heard that Blighttown is the hardest area in the game. Should I be exploring other areas before attempting it?

Rizzi

Got back to the game after a 2-year hiatus. I gave up after losing all my souls wandering aimlessly in the depths back in August 2012.

Started a new game with pyromancer, got the drake sword and finally made my way out of the depths. Next stop: Blighttown.

I also got the Black Knight Greatsword out of luck (the knight fell). Is it worth using? The 32 str minimum requirement seems quite steep (I'm at 16 str).

Also, I think I heard that Blighttown is the hardest area in the game. Should I be exploring other areas before attempting it?

Hardest? No. Worst, yeah. There's not really anywhere else you can go. You could do some of Darkroot Garden, if you haven't already but you might have trouble with it.

thats the best weapon in the game, it will take you to late game with no problem.
blightown is the next area after the churtch bell so you are fine, did you went to the depths already?

Ruuppa

Do Blighttown now so you don't have to do it later, better get it out of your system.
You can speed up wading through the swamp by getting the Rusted Iron Ring from the Undead Asylum. You can get back there through some parkouring from the Firelink Shrine <-> Undead Parish elevator. Don't forget to grab the key from one of the roofs in Firelink Shrine! The boss there is somewhat hard, but optional, so you can skip him and just get the ring.

BKGS is good and can easily carry you through the game (it does extra damage to demons as well), but unless you're going for a Strength character (or an early 40Str/Dex Quality build), you could probably do better with just a plain ol' Claymore. You find it on the bridge with the red Drake.

Thrak360

Neo Member
Am I going to get invaded a lot in Anor Londo? Both times I have gone human to kindle bonfires, was pretty quick that I got invaded. Popular area for online play?

I see a lot of summon signs in the bonfire room with Solaire past the archers. (I shot - no lobbed - poison arrows at them from the farthest platform with the two bat demons lol). So after kindling that bonfire, I figured I'd get invaded right away, and yup, as soon as I stepped out of the room and walked across the hall.

I always baited the boar to the stairs, waited for him to turn around, then gently, but forcefully inserted my weapon in his rear. Multiple times if need be.
Yeah that's the most obvious way, what I did. Draw out the undead guys and deal with them. Then aggro the boar and draw him to you. I think I hid in that narrow entrance to the ladder leading down. When boar turns around, do your damage. Never had to worry about archers on the bridge that way either.

Am I going to get invaded a lot in Anor Londo? Both times I have gone human to kindle bonfires, was pretty quick that I got invaded. Popular area for online play?

I see a lot of summon signs in the bonfire room with Solaire past the archers. (I shot - no lobbed - poison arrows at them from the farthest platform with the two bat demons lol). So after kindling that bonfire, I figured I'd get invaded right away, and yup, as soon as I stepped out of the room and walked across the hall.

Anor Londo is one of the favorites zones for invasion and for invading sinners so stay undead as posible if you dont like pvp

Top Bottom