• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Donos

Wtf i got "gravelorded" in Anor Londo. Black Phantom Silver Knights are no joke when they connect a hit. Gladly, somebody else killed the "gravelord".

Also wanted to try the White soapstone for the first time and help someone beat O+S and but instantly got invaded (didn't know that you could lay down the white soap as hollow) and got instant backstabbed by a pro. Then got summoned to two guys into the hall before O+S (who didn't seem to be there) and the invader who killed me before invaded him and took us down.

I think this was the last try of the online portion from me. I guess i can't expect anything else with SL 110.

Easy fight against NG+ O+S till i got lightning suckerpunched from SSJ Smoug when he had like 3 pixels of health left -_-.

Wtf i got "gravelorded" in Anor Londo. Black Phantom Silver Knights are no joke when they connect a hit. Gladly, somebody else killed the "gravelord".

Also wanted to try the White soapstone for the first time and help someone beat O+S and but instantly got invaded (didn't know that you could lay down the white soap as hollow) and got instant backstabbed by a pro. Then got summoned to two guys into the hall before O+S (who didn't seem to be there) and the invader who killed me before invaded him and took us down.

I think this was the last try of the online portion from me. I guess i can't expect anything else with SL 110.

Easy fight against NG+ O+S till i got lightning suckerpunched from SSJ Smoug when he had like 3 pixels of health left -_-.

Saldy there is not level cap for being invaded in DS1 there are few normal invaders and the overleveled invaders

Ruuppa

Saldy there is not level cap for being invaded in DS1 there are few normal invaders and the overleveled invaders

There is a levelcap for invaders. The invader needs to be Hosts's SL +- (10 + 10% of Host's SL). IIRC the cops can invade Sinners infinitely down, so a max level one can invade an SL1 sinner. The opposite is true for Darkwraiths; They invade infinitely up.

I could be completely wrong about the infinite up/down invasions for the two covenants, it's been a while since I looked at the specific mechanics.

You just need to be careful of twinkers (and cheaters on PC).

Oh, another thing to note: At SL110 you're right smack in the online coop/pvp metagame, so you'll be getting the maximum benefit from both of those. More invasions but more summonsigns as well.

Mistel

Banned
Most of the time that's what happens with gravelords either you miss the phantoms spawning as someone else killed them before it happens. Or you find the eye of death and kill them yourself.

Donos

Oh, another thing to note: At SL110 you're right smack in the online coop/pvp metagame, so you'll be getting the maximum benefit from both of those. More invasions but more summonsigns as well.

I also thought myself that at lvl 110, there are probably not many players left who really need help with O+S. Glad that From put so much variety into the PvP part with all the covenants and stuff but it's not for me.

v1perz53

There is a levelcap for invaders. The invader needs to be Hosts's SL +- (10 + 10% of Host's SL). IIRC the cops can invade Sinners infinitely down, so a max level one can invade an SL1 sinner. The opposite is true for Darkwraiths; They invade infinitely up.

After all the time I've spent in this game these invasion rules seem to be broken so frequently that I just don't understand how they work. The other day I was invaded when I was SL 10 (regular invasion, I had no sin) by someone in full Smough armor who was mid rolling and using a great club in one hand and a balder shield. He also used Chameleon to turn into a barrel so he had some int too. There is no way to have the stats to use that gear 1H with mid roll and still be within SL 10 invasion range.

I was playing on PC so I guess he could be cheating, but it seems like a waste to cheat so slightly. And I have seen stuff like this so many times. Again, I guess it could just be cheaters, so theres that.

Ruuppa

After all the time I've spent in this game these invasion rules seem to be broken so frequently that I just don't understand how they work. The other day I was invaded when I was SL 10 (regular invasion, I had no sin) by someone in full Smough armor who was mid rolling and using a great club in one hand and a balder shield. He also used Chameleon to turn into a barrel so he had some int too. There is no way to have the stats to use that gear 1H with mid roll and still be within SL 10 invasion range.

I was playing on PC so I guess he could be cheating, but it seems like a waste to cheat so slightly. And I have seen stuff like this so many times. Again, I guess it could just be cheaters, so theres that.

Cheating is pretty rampant on the PC*. Anytime I see something like that, I find the nearest cliff and roll off it. Those guys are scary as hell.

*YMMV

Mistel

Banned

You can use weapons without the requirement do so. But in this case they would be cheating. the lowest I can get mid roll with that equipment is level 18 with a bandit with 28 endurance with both havel's and favor and protection rings. Even excluding the INT stuff you are below the range of a red eye orb anyway for even that.

Gaz_RB

I finally beat this game.... After two years of on and off trying, Gwyn is dead and I have finally cleared this amazing game off my backlog. It truly is one of the best games of last gen.

Now onto Dark Souls 2

entremet

Ok. This game has gotten much easier after I got the Drake Sword.

Reminds me of the Crescent Falchion in DeS.

Beat the Gargoyles and got some nice pickups along the way.

Mistel

Banned
Ok. This game has gotten much easier after I got the Drake Sword.

Reminds me of the Crescent Falchion in DeS.

Beat the Gargoyles and got some nice pickups along the way.
Don't rely on the drake sword too much it's suitable for that point of the game but it may come back to haunt you.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Just had a close call thanks to GFWL being terrible.

Killed this jerk on my first try without much trouble but then the game crashes a couple minutes later. While I was on my way to fight Gywn and finish the game I might add.

vlIJ1Ef.jpg

Then this happens when I reload.

Luckily, I just repaired using Steams integrity check and my save seems to have loaded properly. Crises and rage averted.

Edit: Welp, cheers.

Now to wait for bloodborne...

I finally beat this game.... After two years of on and off trying, Gwyn is dead and I have finally cleared this amazing game off my backlog. It truly is one of the best games of last gen.

Now onto Dark Souls 2

Congrats, there is still a good active comunity in the DS2 thread *wink wink*.

Now onto Dark Souls 2

Congrats

Just started DS2 today myself :)

Gonna role a female/DEX build for a change.

Blightown is a real momentum killer. Argh.

I hate this area. Reminds of the terrible World 5 in DeS but worse.
At least you can roll in the swamp this time and
move at full speed with the rusted iron ring
, TONS of awesome loot, and it's a good farming spot for upgrade materials too.

B-town is awesome (shitty console performance aside).

Ruuppa

At least you can roll in the swamp this time and
move at full speed with the rusted iron ring
, TONS of awesome loot, and it's a good farming spot for upgrade materials too.

B-town is awesome (shitty console performance aside).

It was better when the game was more active. Invasions there were intense.

v1perz53

One thing that really helped me not hate blighttown as much was realizing that torches marked the top and bottom of every ladder. First time I went through I was so frustrated trying to figure out where the next ladder down was until I learned that.

Second best thing about blighttown is that you can more or less skip the whole thing on subsequent playthroughs if you take the Master Key heh.

I actually liked blightown by the high level of awarenes you have to use in that area unlike jolly exploration compared to other areas, but damm I was drained off after blightown.

v1perz53

Man, the framerate of this game in big bosses is rough.

Does the PC version fix this stuff?

Yea, at least when using DSFix. (it probably does in the default game but I have never even loaded it without DSFix) I actually played PC first then PS3 later, and the framerate was very hard to deal with. Never had problems with bosses though, I mostly noticed problems any time the game was trying to calculate water physics (blighttown swamp and new londo ruins).

Hyunkel6

Just arrived in Anor Londo. That place is so beautiful. I stopped at the huge balcony at the beginning and just stared in awe at my surroundings. Praise the sun!

Thrak360

Neo Member
Help? I think I screwed up. Picking up where I left off, Anor Londo room with bonfire and Solaire. I get invaded right away, and the fight plays out in that room. I'm tossing some Chaos Fireballs and... yeah, I guess Solaire took some splash damage.

What should I do? Try to fight and kill him and lose a special friend? I've heard talk of a way to absolve sins, should I do that? Can I do that?

Ruuppa

Help? I think I screwed up. Picking up where I left off, Anor Londo room with bonfire and Solaire. I get invaded right away, and the fight plays out in that room. I'm tossing some Chaos Fireballs and... yeah, I guess Solaire took some splash damage.

What should I do? Try to fight and kill him and lose a special friend? I've heard talk of a way to absolve sins, should I do that? Can I do that?

You need to go back to Undead Parish Bellfry to get absolved. If you have the shortcut elevator in Sen's Fortress, it's not a horribly long trip.

Thrak360

Neo Member
You need to go back to Undead Parish Bellfry to get absolved. If you have the shortcut elevator in Sen's Fortress, it's not a horribly long trip.
Right, that's Oswald that I need to visit. That's what I was thinking. And yes I have the Sen's shortcut unlocked. Going from AL to Sen's to Parish, and back, is no big deal, I just did it.

But a follow-up question. After the archers, I dropped down to the castle interior. So I can't backtrack the way I came. I'm guessing I need to go through the castle and unlock the huge main doors? The doors that were guarded by the two sentinels before I had to detour thru the bat demons and archers? Thanks!

Right, that's Oswald that I need to visit. That's what I was thinking. And yes I have the Sen's shortcut unlocked. Going from AL to Sen's to Parish, and back, is no big deal, I just did it.

But a follow-up question. After the archers, I dropped down to the castle interior. So I can't backtrack the way I came. I'm guessing I need to go through the castle and unlock the huge main doors? The doors that were guarded by the two sentinels before I had to detour thru the bat demons and archers? Thanks!

Yes, you will reach the main room after some exploration and there is a mechanism next to the doors to unlock the main door.

This game really needs some sort of fast travel. It's getting annoying.

in which part are you right now? fast travel is no needed if you find the proper shortcuts.

Thrak360

Neo Member
Yes, you will reach the main room after some exploration and there is a mechanism nest to the doors to unlock the main door.
That's good to hear. As I've kind of messed up that bonfire, I want to try and get out of this castle ASAP and take care of this business.

v1perz53

This game really needs some sort of fast travel. It's getting annoying.

Funny you should mention fast travel...

When I first started Dark Souls I was CERTAIN there was no way I could enjoy a game with no map and no fast travel. Fast forward to Dark Souls 2 and one of the biggest reasons I didn't like it as much as 1 was the fact that you got fast travel right away.

entremet

Yes, you will reach the main room after some exploration and there is a mechanism next to the doors to unlock the main door.

in which part are you right now? fast travel is no needed if you find the proper shortcuts.

I'm at Demon Ruins. But I feel like I'm under leveled, so I wanted to try something else.

Ruuppa

I'm at Demon Ruins. But I feel like I'm under leveled, so I wanted to try something else.

Aw jeez, aw man. Don't go there yet. There's not much there for you yet
, unless you want to grab the two fire upgrade Embers early
. You should head back towards Undead Parish and go through the newly opened route. That is, if you've killed the Gargoyles.

Having poison daggers or poison arrows really makes Demon Ruins a lot more manageable. You should get some of those before eventually returning there.

entremet

Aw jeez, aw man. Don't go there yet. There's not much there for you yet
, unless you want to grab the two fire upgrade Embers early
. You should head back towards Undead Parish and go through the newly opened route. That is, if you've killed the Gargoyles.

Having poison daggers or poison arrows really makes Demon Ruins a lot more manageable. You should get some of those before eventually returning there.

I killed the Gargoyles and rang both bells.

It was either that or more Blightown traversing. UGH!

I did kill that huge weird boss by mistake lol. So it wasn't all for lost.

v1perz53

I killed the Gargoyles and rang both bells.

It was either that or more Blightown traversing. UGH!

I did kill that huge weird boss by mistake lol. So it wasn't all for lost.

Hah, I would actually say the one point in the game I wished for fast travel was exactly what you mentioned, having killed Ceaseless Discharge right after Quelaag. The game kind of makes it so that you only want fast travel if you go in a direction that you probably shouldn't be yet like
the demon ruins or catacombs

Ruuppa

Hah, I would actually say the one point in the game I wished for fast travel was exactly what you mentioned, having killed Ceaseless Discharge right after Quelaag. The game kind of makes it so that you only want fast travel if you go in a direction that you probably shouldn't be yet like

If you go straight for the
Tomb of Giants
from the start.. That's some fresh hell right there.
Getting up from the Demon Ruins is also really annoying, especially if you rest at the bonfire after
Ceaseless' lava pit
I usually run the fire Embers at a risk, only resting the the bonfire right after Quelaag and then boning it away from the Demon Ruins once I've gotten the stuff.

There is a shortcut there, chaos covenant shorcut but still

Hyunkel6

Damn those two archers with heavy arrows in Arno Londo. Worst area in the game so far. Took me forever to get past them until I discovered I could simply ignore the left one and rush the right one.

Tarkus

So close to pulling the trigger on buying a used copy of DSII even though I'll only be able to play it one night a week. Ugh, is it worth it?

Anyway, I have a weapon that people don't mention much on here: Flamberge. It's a greatsword for quality builds. I haven't had much time to play around with it, but it seems to be a gem. Any opinions on this weapon?

Mistel

Banned
I have a weapon that people don't mention much on here: Flamberge. It's a greatsword for quality builds. I haven't had much time to play around with it, but it seems to be a gem. Any opinions on this weapon?
More dex orientated build than a 40/40 split build. Nice moveset bleed buildup isn't too bad quite decent in PvE.

So close to pulling the trigger on buying a used copy of DSII even though I'll only be able to play it one night a week. Ugh, is it worth it?

Anyway, I have a weapon that people don't mention much on here: Flamberge. It's a greatsword for quality builds. I haven't had much time to play around with it, but it seems to be a gem. Any opinions on this weapon?

Is a good game in the souls series, a little tone down but still have a challenge for an avid souls player

I heard the ps3 version have a season pass you can buy a ps3 version and get the season pass while the 360 version doesnt,

CaLe

Hey guys, got a small dilemma.

Do you recommend I play DS2 before DS1 ? I keep seeing people saying DS1 is the better game.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Hey guys, got a small dilemma.

Do you recommend I play DS2 before DS1 ? I keep seeing people saying DS1 is the better game.

You'll miss some references here and there but there is nothing wrong with playing 2 before 1. Dark souls 2 is a bit easier than 1 so take that as you will.

Dark souls 2 is a bit easier than 1 so take that as you will.

Mildly disagree, every enemy does way more damage in Dark 2, and the health reduction means that newbie players who will die to inexperience may get frustrated, Dark 1 is more about managing Estus recovery over a long stretch.

That said, yeah go for 2 if you want, there's no real reason to not. Just don't let any of it's differences put you off the whole series or anything.

Kieli

Mildly disagree, every enemy does way more damage in Dark 2, and the health reduction means that newbie players who will die to inexperience may get frustrated, Dark 1 is more about managing Estus recovery over a long stretch.

That said, yeah go for 2 if you want, there's no real reason to not. Just don't let any of it's differences put you off the whole series or anything.

Yep. Dark Souls II introduces some questionable mechanics to push what I call "frustration/bullshit difficulty".

Enemy ambushes, waves, bum-rushes, or multiple enemies. None of these alone are bad. But it's their frequency and combination together...

Ruuppa

I find DkS2 easier because of the bonfire placement, fast travel right from the start and semi-infinite healing items. In DkS1 if you ran out of Estus, and weren't a Miracle user or had a ton of Humanities, you were pretty much forced to retreat back to a bonfire, which usually meant a good deal of backtracking. Add that the enemies never run out, you have to "git gud" on the areas before you can even try the bosses, instead of having an option of farming them out.

The health reduction on hollowing I can agree with. Getting your health cut to shreds because you're doing bad leads to doing even worse and getting annoyed.

I would recommend starting from DkS1 if you want to try both eventually, so you won't get frustrated with the prequel's framerate issues in comparison with DkS2's smooth 60fps. Only if you're on the PC, though.

eot

Banned
What's a good weapon for an SL3 run? I've been using the Great Scythe but it's just so slow. You can 2-hand the Uchi but its 2h moveset is much worse.

Top Bottom