• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Booshka

I really don't understand this game. I still can't figure out how to beat these guys. The game doesn't give me enough time to test out what works and what doesn't with them. It is also very tedious fighting the same exact enemies over and over again.

Try to 2 hand your weapon and stagger them. Roll or block, then move to their back and try to get them in a stagger. Play unlocked more often, don't always stay locked on, it severely limits your mobility. You need to be able to move around and flank them quickly, and being locked on makes that tough, so manage your locked on and unlocked play.

Avoid swinging too much, or leaving yourself vulnerable with not enough stamina to roll away or block. Try your best to take out the First Gargoyle ASAP, then move on to the 2nd one. If you have Gold Pine Resin, use it to buff your weapon before you start the boss fight and it will add a ton of damage to your weapon.

I really don't understand this game. I still can't figure out how to beat these guys. The game doesn't give me enough time to test out what works and what doesn't with them. It is also very tedious fighting the same exact enemies over and over again.

maybe watch a video of someone else playing it? Sometimes, it's good to see how others approach a game to see if you're missing something or if there is a technique you hadn't thought of that could really help you out.

zero shift - have you upgraded your weapon? (Also what weapon are you using?)

Upgrading your weapon is way more important than spending souls on leveling up. So if you haven't got your weapon to +5 do that asap. It only takes 9 titanite shards in total - the enemies in the Parish drop them (Balder Knights and less frequently dropped by the regular sword/spear soldier hollows) and also the blacksmith sells them. If you haven't found the blacksmith yet, do that before returning to the Gargoyle fight :)

Check your gear and your weapons maybe you need to visit the blacksmith for upgrades and you can summons npcs if you saved
the guy in a cell and talked to solaire

I think I'm done with this game. This is like my third time trying to get into but I just don't like it. I don't like the level design, the game has a lot of glitches, and the difficulty is all over the place.

Check your gear and your weapons maybe you need to visit the blacksmith for upgrades and you can summons npcs if you saved
the guy in a cell and talked to solaire

How do I summon NPCs?

Booshka

I think I'm done with this game. This is like my third time trying to get into but I just don't like it. I don't like the level design, the game has a lot of glitches, and the difficulty is all over the place.

How do I summon NPCs?

Reverse Hollowing at Bonfires. You need to consume a Humanity, or have some Soft Humanity in the top left counter of the screen to Reverse Hollow at Bonfires. You will then be Human form, you can now Summon players/NPC's via their Summon Signs in the level, you can also be invaded by players. The NPC summon is right in front of the fog door for the boss.

Give it a shot, and good luck.

Tarkus

How do I summon NPCs?
Don't give up. You'll be missing one of the best games of its generation. You just have to try everything out. There's always an easier way to beat a boss than the way you're trying, trust me. If you can beat the midpoint, then everything kind of falls in place.

Okay this game clearly has some difficulty issues. So I summoned a NPC for that one boss and they died immediately... I then decided to go downstairs and get to the butterfly boss who is crazy easy. I only died because I got lazy. Just roll and roll and use the flask (which is pretty much free if you go to the main bonfire) and that's it.

How far would you guys recommend me going in order for me to see if this game is for me or not?

sn00zer

Just sinked 20,000 to get through the forest door...worth it...totally new area woo hoo.....

can I use this area to farm souls from the ghost people? They seem easy to kill by kicking them off cliffs and give a shit ton of souls.

Just sinked 20,000 to get through the forest door...worth it...totally new area woo hoo.....

can I use this area to farm souls from the ghost people? They seem easy to kill by kicking them off cliffs and give a shit ton of souls.

Possibly the best spot to farm

The knights and the archer don't respawn, but the rest do. I'm sure you just about make back the 20,000 on the first run if you kill them all. It's a decent early game offline spot to farm souls yep.

Okay this game clearly has some difficulty issues. So I summoned a NPC for that one boss and they died immediately... I then decided to go downstairs and get to the butterfly boss who is crazy easy. I only died because I got lazy. Just roll and roll and use the flask (which is pretty much free if you go to the main bonfire) and that's it.

How far would you guys recommend me going in order for me to see if this game is for me or not?
Most people know if they're hooked or not by Anor Londo, which is about 40-50% in to the game (depending on what you do since it's kind of but not really open world.) There are two infamous events in that area that either get people thirsty for more or send them off to mummy screaming in floods of tears.

After ringing the two bells I dare to say, the game is hard if you go desesperate and starts to charge at the enemy.

Is the best spot for lower levels chars

sn00zer

Possibly the best spot to farm

The knights and the archer don't respawn, but the rest do. I'm sure you just about make back the 20,000 on the first run if you kill them all. It's a decent early game offline spot to farm souls yep.

Is the best spot for lower levels chars

Ah cool, thanks guys....really trying to ask as few questions as possible....its nice being constantly surprised by this game....

Also ......fucking bear cats....

EDIT: Also quick question, is it worth investing in magic if im just rolling with sword and shield? Can I just get by with arrows and such?

Most people know if they're hooked or not by Anor Londo, which is about 40-50% in to the game (depending on what you do since it's kind of but not really open world.) There are two infamous events in that area that either get people thirsty for more or send them off to mummy screaming in floods of tears.
So how far am I into the game now? Percentage wise.

After ringing the two bells I dare to say, the game is hard if you go desesperate and starts to charge at the enemy.
What's "desesperate"?

Yeah, you're still very early 10-15%? I think Orochinagis probably had it right in saying ringing both bells - You've done the Gargoyles that's one. By the time you're in the area of the second bell you'll know.

Hint about making life a little easier in that area:
Stock up now on the purple and a few blooming purple mosses that the tree enemies in the forest area drop, you will be needing them.

I'll post this too as it's still a good non-spoilery primer:

20_tips_for_beginnerszhuqb.jpg

eot

Banned

10% maybe? Hard to say. You get through areas faster as you get better so the last half of the game doesn't take as long to play as the first half.

For the Gargoyles, if you have a +5 weapon you will absolutely wreck them. Upgrade your shield as well (buy the Kite Shield from Andre) and you'll be able to block their attacks much easier. You can block the fire too btw.

edit: oh you beat them already.

Is it possible, in theory, for someone to drop me DLC items if I haven't purchased it?

I would love to have Chester's set for my low level (SL11) character on PS3.

Dibbs

After several pauses from my playthrough (I bought the game and started playing at launch) I'm finally
at Gwyn.
It feels kinda empty but I've had some awesome and unique (hate/love) moments with this game.

FFP2

After several pauses from my playthrough (I bought the game and started playing at launch) I'm finally
at Gwyn.
It feels kinda empty but I've had some awesome and unique (hate/love) moments with this game.

Learn how to
parry.
It really helps.

Tarkus

Thanks.....also

I SPENT ALL THAT TIME TRYING TO PASS THE DRAGON AND I GET NOTHING?!
If you're talking about the red Hellkite, then you might have missed something. Go back and check the first body. Behold:
Dark Souls easy mode

Phew! Finally did 4 Kings on NG+3, I've finally learned to predict and dodge their attacks rather than tanking - feels so much better!

He's hard as a rock. :/ Could use some summoning help for this! Im SL 72, Europe, PS3 psn id Cressed.
My current SL60 character should be in range. I will send you a friend request on PSN and if you're online tonight just msg me and I'll drop my summon sign. It's a pyromancy build so he might go down quite easily with just great combustion, but it's up to you. :)

FFP2

He's hard as a rock. :/ Could use some summoning help for this! Im SL 72, Europe, PS3 psn id Cressed.

I'm on 360, sorry.

You can summon Solaire iirc. Also try exploiting the rocks in his arena to block his attacks.

Edit: I'm guessing Neogaf doesn't notify you when people quote you?

What set were you using? They were by far the hardest boss for me on NG+.
Dusk crown, bellowing dragon ring
Kirk's leggings, dingy poncho, Logan's gloves
Chaos bandit knife + Great Combustion (x 4), Crest Shield.

Almost always in the past I've used stone armour or havel's and just tanked it, but it just wasn't working - the two horizontal swipes that they do were always killing me, so I just thought, fuck it - go with your usual gear and learn to dodge. It was really only that two-hit attack that I had trouble with the vertical attack is easy to side step, and it's so much easier to get out of the way of the AoE or grab when you're sub-25% equip. load.

So what's the best way to defeat the Moonlight Butterfly?

I feel that she would be no problem if I knew how to dodge here green arrow attack and her blue bomb attack.

FFP2

Dusk crown, bellowing dragon ring
Kirk's leggings, dingy poncho, Logan's gloves
Chaos bandit knife + Great Combustion (x 4), Crest Shield.

Almost always in the past I've used stone armour or havel's and just tanked it, but it just wasn't working - the two horizontal swipes that they do were always killing me, so I just thought, fuck it - go with your usual gear and learn to dodge. It was really only that two-hit attack that I had trouble with the vertical attack is easy to side step, and it's so much easier to get out of the way of the AoE or grab when you're sub-25% equip. load.

Nice! I had to use Havel's full gear because my poise was very low and I couldn't dodge any of their attacks for shit. Literally the only time I wasn't at <25% equip load.

FFP2

So what's the best way to defeat the Moonlight Butterfly?

I feel that she would be no problem if I knew how to dodge here green arrow attack and her blue bomb attack.

Pelt her with arrows then switch to a sword and go all in. She has a tell for the bomb attack so just get out of range when you see it coming.

I still have trouble with that damn arrow attack.

You can dodge the arrows just by walking in the same direction she's flying, but have your shield up just in case. The slower homing magic 'balls' roll dodge them just as they're in front of you. The beam do the same, roll in the direction it came from (beam is left to right, roll left through it). Anything else, just GTFO, roll back, back, back.

If you kill it quick enough, you would be unlucky to see any other attack other than arrows and slow homing magic. And as always, <25% equipment load improves your rolling/running speed - helps vastly in evasion.

So after getting arrows that boss was very easy. Unfortunately all I got was some gear and some key of some kind.

At the beginning of the game the guy said the position of two bells. One on top of the church (which I rang) and one underground. Did he mean the catacombs or the forest? Thinking of it, I think he said catacombs.

Tarkus

So after getting arrows that boss was very easy. Unfortunately all I got was some gear and some key of some kind.

At the beginning of the game the guy said the position of two bells. One on top of the church (which I rang) and one underground. Did he mean the catacombs or the forest? Thinking of it, I think he said catacombs.
There's a key in the Undead Parish...basement key I think it was called. Read its description.

Got to Gwyn in NG+ last night. Handed me my ass several times. I have never, ever learned how to parry effectively :/

Tempted to start a fresh character instead. Thinking of a DEX/INT build instead of the STR/DEX I've used for ~200 hours now. Going to model her after a character I saw recently in the new Magic: The Gathering set. Although I'm gonna have a hell of a time with that face editor.

Tarkus

I have a raw battle axe+3, knight shield +7, and boulder armor +2.

I turned into a bandit but I can shoot a bow. I started as a deprived.

My divine longbow does 15-25 at most per shot.
You need a +5 weapon at this point in the least. Raw is useless even though it looks better at this point. The best advice I can give you is to have the fast roll (equip load <25%) where you can avoid their drop attacks. Besides that attack, they shouldn't be a problem with your battle axe. Personally, I think a battle axe +3 is a little too weak for Anor Londo.

Alright. Which one of you invaded my world last night? I'm a noob so I think you oughta be ashamed for losing to me during my first encounter with PvP. :)

Seriously though, I thought it was an invader from within my world as if it were part of the Dark Souls script. So then I searched for the [invader's name] on google, and no hits. That was the first time I ever engaged in PvP, and I didn't even know it til after.

Anyways, I've been lurking in this community for awhile now. Good to see that there are still Souls players even when I'm just now getting into it.

EDIT: Oh snaps, the username exists on Steam...

Tarkus

Alright. Which one of you invaded my world last night? I'm a noob so I think you oughta be ashamed for losing to me during my first encounter with PvP. :)

Seriously though, I thought it was an invader from within my world as if it were part of the Dark Souls script. So then I searched for the name
HungryEyez
on google, and no hits. That was the first time I ever engaged in PvP, and I didn't even know it til after.

Anyways, I've been lurking in this community for awhile now. Good to see that there are still Souls players even when I'm just now getting into it.
If you see HardAttack123 on PS3, it's me :p I'm a very fair fighter and adjust my techniques accordingly. I'll even parry with a broken sword if that's what makes a good battle!

Dark will always have a community, even long after the servers are inevitably taken down (on the console side anyway). The game itself is timeless, and the wealth of information exists on the internet for brand new players.

Top Bottom