• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I don't know where I should go, tried searching for a DS Fix thread but popped out with this. I've played the living hell out of DS on PS3 but now I want the DS Fix experience on PC and my laptop can run it pretty damn well, only issue is that I can't unlock the fps, the game keeps on crashing on start up and tried finding a solution and I'm too stupid to try reinstalling windows 8.1 on my laptop and fudge it up... Any suggestions?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I don't know where I should go, tried searching for a DS Fix thread but popped out with this. I've played the living hell out of DS on PS3 but now I want the DS Fix experience on PC and my laptop can run it pretty damn well, only issue is that I can't unlock the fps, the game keeps on crashing on start up and tried finding a solution and I'm too stupid to try reinstalling windows 8.1 on my laptop and fudge it up... Any suggestions?

A) Are you using the Steamworks beta?
B) Are you on DSFIX 2.3.1?

Not that I know where to get 2.3.1 because it was removed for a ToS violation despite the issue already being cleared in the past.

Edit: Scratch that, here:

May I introduce you to the whale force? Or the alternative classes (if you want a real challenge, try the Hobbit class). Or, the Westeros version if you're extra dorky. Feel free to adjust/make your own rules and limitations, of course.

My SL1 was Melisandre. :)

Double cestus is still my favorite run. Do it with no shirt or chest armor for extra GUTS.

You're going to wear out that L1, though.

Hehe, thanks. This'll keep me busy for a while.

Mistel

Banned
Hehe, thanks. This'll keep me busy for a while.
If you're going to do the dual caestus run upgrade one to a dragon bone fist if you want to. Or you could go the other direction and just go bare fisted with the dragon torso stone which raises you unarmed damage to about 400 AR give or take a smidge.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
A) Are you using the Steamworks beta?
B) Are you on DSFIX 2.3.1?

Not that I know where to get 2.3.1 because it was removed for a ToS violation despite the issue already being cleared in the past.

Edit: Scratch that, here:

I have no idea if I'm using Steamworks beta, I'll check that out. I haven't updated on 2.3.1 so I'll go ahead and do that too. I better be careful on which files I delete...

Edit:

Its not in beta and I went ahead and put in the new update, looks exactly the same as the fix that I had so I probably didn't need to replace it but I will try to see if it works now.

Edit 2:

Unlocking the FPS didn't even let the game boot up... This is troubling. I put it back to 0 and it worked fine, when I put it to 1, it doesn't run.

so does PS3 offer the best PVP experience? I'm talking solely in terms of matches available and being able to fight without any failed connections and disappearing summon signs and all that bs, i dont give a shit about game performance, pc obviously wins but its useless if i can't fight more than one person over and over in the forest. i have it on xbox and pc and the PC version always masquerades like the next patch will make it awesome, but it's hit or miss and always has been. sometimes you'll get a ton of activity, sometimes even after 40 minutes you will only have one node, or none, its so unreliable i'm done with it until it's really patched, which since today didn't do that i doubt it ever will.

anyway on xbox i can get into fights almost instantly with a good variety of people. but is it even better on ps3? Less 'fog wall up but no one's invading'? all i care about is being able to get invaded again and again by as many people as possible, between pc and xbox xbox is the clear winner, but is ps3's worth buying it for? pc version seems to limit to 20 nodes by default, xbox has to be more, but i'm curious if ps3 is even better?

Booshka

so does PS3 offer the best PVP experience? I'm talking solely in terms of matches available and being able to fight without any failed connections and disappearing summon signs and all that bs, i dont give a shit about game performance, pc obviously wins but its useless if i can't fight more than one person over and over in the forest. i have it on xbox and pc and the PC version always masquerades like the next patch will make it awesome, but it's hit or miss and always has been. sometimes you'll get a ton of activity, sometimes even after 40 minutes you will only have one node, or none, its so unreliable i'm done with it until it's really patched, which since today didn't do that i doubt it ever will.

anyway on xbox i can get into fights almost instantly with a good variety of people. but is it even better on ps3? Less 'fog wall up but no one's invading'? all i care about is being able to get invaded again and again by as many people as possible, between pc and xbox xbox is the clear winner, but is ps3's worth buying it for? pc version seems to limit to 20 nodes by default, xbox has to be more, but i'm curious if ps3 is even better?

PS3 is best for that, random and variety of players. But, the lag, both game performance and netcode performance is pretty terrible to me.

If you already own a PS3, then definitely get it, you should have one solely for Demon's anyway. Playing online is free too.

Invading the forest is great after the removal of the region lock/distance filtering. I came across a SL 711 turtle and Hornet ring parried and Shotel'd him to death for ~900000 souls! It was just enough to finish levelling this character too :D

If you love Dark Souls this guy's YT channel is worth checking out, some really interesting runs on there.

He just started playing DS1 again, but if you go back in his history or just search he has no heal/bonfire runs, runs where he only uses a weird weapon (Giant/Great/Dragon w/e Bow one is really good), modded runs, etc.

Love LobosJr, I believe he just went fulltime streamer? Good luck to him, he makes great videos. Just finished watching his NG-NG+7 run of DS2 and it gave me some ideas for builds for my own runs that I'd never tried before.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Invading the forest is great after the removal of the region lock/distance filtering. I came across a SL 711 turtle and Hornet ring parried and Shotel'd him to death for ~900000 souls! It was just enough to finish levelling this character too :D

Note to self: enter offline mode before going into the forest. I intend to replay DS1 soon, but I'm sort of expecting to get my ass handed to me no matter where I go so I'll probably only go online when I need to summon people for bosses.

A bit lame, perhaps, but I've spent hundreds of hours with both DS1+2 so it's not like I haven't PvP'd in the past. This time I just want to enjoy the game with as little interruptions as possible.

Booshka

Note to self: enter offline mode before going into the forest. I intend to replay DS1 soon, but I'm sort of expecting to get my ass handed to me no matter where I go so I'll probably only go online when I need to summon people for bosses.

A bit lame, perhaps, but I've spent hundreds of hours with both DS1+2 so it's not like I haven't PvP'd in the past. This time I just want to enjoy the game with as little interruptions as possible.

Or just play in Hollow form the whole time. Unless you want to get as many NPC invasions as possible.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Or just play in Hollow form the whole time. Unless you want to get as many NPC invasions as possible.

Ah, yeah. I'll probably go hollow as much as possible. Though, I'll make sure to help people as well after I've joined Warrior of Sunlight. I have several chars above SL 500 that I haven't touched in years so it'll be nice to replay from scratch again. Expecting a lot of death and despair.

Booshka

Ah, yeah. I'll probably go hollow as much as possible. Though, I'll make sure to help people as well after I've joined Warrior of Sunlight. I have several chars above SL 500 that I haven't touched in years so it'll be nice to replay from scratch again. Expecting a lot of death and despair.

You can put your Summon Sign down while Hollow form, so you don't ever have to get invaded in your game, and can still help others. Just throw your sign down and then make your own progress in your world, might get randomly summoned.

Hastati

I don't mean to disturb the Wa of this thread but I just needed to vent about BLOWDARTS GAHHHHHHHH

How can I find it in my heart to love Blighttown? There must be some small, tiny sliver of sunshine somewhere in there that needs to be seen. Maybe a lonely weed or something that's actually alive.

I also love the fact that the framerate is effectively the same as on console due to downsampling and other effects. I guess that's the only real charm of this hellhole from which I cannot escape.

My apologies.

I don't mean to disturb the Wa of this thread but I just needed to vent about BLOWDARTS GAHHHHHHHH

How can I find it in my heart to love Blighttown? There must be some small, tiny sliver of sunshine somewhere in there that needs to be seen. Maybe a lonely weed or something that's actually alive.

I also love the fact that the framerate is effectively the same as on console due to downsampling and other effects. I guess that's the only real charm of this hellhole from which I cannot escape.

My apologies.

The nice part about it is that you can skip most of it fairly easily.

---

These guys are easily the most dangerous enemy in the game! The Blue Tearstone ring finally did something for once.

http://giant.gfycat.com/FeistyShallowBrownbear.webm

How to survive Blighttown:

1) Grab a spider shield (100% poison, toxic block) - Location:
VoD or the Depths
, starter shield for the Bandit
2) Farm 2 or 3 BLOOMING purple moss whilst in Darkroot Forest. (or buy from Female Undead Merchant)
3) If you get toxic'd, heal through it and kill the blowdart fucker that got you before using said blooming purple moss so he can't do it again. They don't respawn, so make them your priority.
4. ??? Profit

If you love Dark Souls this guy's YT channel is worth checking out, some really interesting runs on there.

He just started playing DS1 again, but if you go back in his history or just search he has no heal/bonfire runs, runs where he only uses a weird weapon (Giant/Great/Dragon w/e Bow one is really good), modded runs, etc.

Yeah thanks, watching his all boss DkS2 run right now.

Last time I played I went pyro and found it pretty effective against most enemies. This time I'm doing sorcery for ranged, and it seems like every enemy early on has a high magic resistance stat.

When/where is sorcery going to start to pay off?

Last time I played I went pyro and found it pretty effective against most enemies. This time I'm doing sorcery for ranged, and it seems like every enemy early on has a high magic resistance stat.

When/where is sorcery going to start to pay off?
Once you unlock Logan you get access to better spells, and you should get Griggs and Dusk free asap if you haven't already for the bellowing ring and Dusk Crown respectively.

I also reserve a slot just for Power Within - that with all the magic stacking stuff (and maybe RTSR?!) makes magic stupid powerful.

Once you unlock Logan you get access to better spells, and you should get Griggs and Dusk free asap if you haven't already for the bellowing ring and Dusk Crown respectively.

I also reserve a slot just for Power Within - that with all the magic stacking stuff (and maybe RTSR?!) makes magic stupid powerful.

This is a DWGR/Havel's Ring build, so no free slots. That being said, is Pyro the better way to go (also have 40 Dex for +15 Uchi)?

This is a DWGR/Havel's Ring build, so no free slots. That being said, is Pyro the better way to go (also have 40 Dex for +15 Uchi)?
The dex will slightly increase all magic type casting speeds, but I'm not the one to ask about numbers really, I think it's something like 40 or 45 dex you want.

If you're underwhelmed by sorcery, then the reason is your stats and equipment - If you don't want to give up a ring slot for the bellowing ring and you aren't pumping stat points into INT you won't really get the benefit of using magic. Without that stat investment pyromancy, not being tied to any stat, will give you better dmg figures as long as your pyro flame is maxed out (ascended +5) or on it's way there. The bellowing ring and dusk crown also boost pyro afaik, so they're still worth using. Personally I would only use Havel's ring if I was going super heavy tank, if you're using sorcery you're playing more ranged any way so don't need heavy gear.

Booshka

Sounds like you should just make a Dex Pyro build with 16 STR, 45 DEX and 12-16 ATT. Then put the rest into VIT and END. Gouge Endurance and optimize your gear a bit more to be able to use Ring of Favor and DWGR, instead of Havel's.

Stat line like this should do you fine. Plenty of points left over to get to a good poisebreak (32-36).

45 Dex makes your casting much faster, anything over is a waste.

Hastati

How to survive Blighttown:

1) Grab a spider shield (100% poison, toxic block) - Location:
VoD or the Depths
, starter shield for the Bandit
2) Farm 2 or 3 BLOOMING purple moss whilst in Darkroot Forest. (or buy from Female Undead Merchant)
3) If you get toxic'd, heal through it and kill the blowdart fucker that got you before using said blooming purple moss so he can't do it again. They don't respawn, so make them your priority.
4. ??? Profit

I have the spider shield, but haven't been using it, doh! I knew it had poison res, but didn't know it completely blocked toxic too! Holy crap. I think I have only one blowdart guy to go, the one at the very bottom behind the cragspiders. He's so dead. Thanks for the tips!

Don't think I've ever even wanted to do this in a game before, but I'm trying to make a (admittedly kinda vanilla) pvp character. Went with a soul level 15 for starters. The added challenge of defeating some of the bosses at that level is pretty awesome I must say.

After getting back into DS1 PVP a bit I have to ask, how the hell do you deal with people who have a crap-load (100+) of poise? I've come across so many people who just have Havel's gear along with the Mother's mask and a high DPS weapon. I just can't do anything to them and it's driving me mad. If I do anything other than block they either just spam like crazy and get a ton of hits in or they just wander through all my attacks and backstab me.

IceMarker

Don't think I've ever even wanted to do this in a game before, but I'm trying to make a (admittedly kinda vanilla) pvp character. Went with a soul level 15 for starters. The added challenge of defeating some of the bosses at that level is pretty awesome I must say.

Tell me about it, I had to get help from a stream viewer who gave me a +15 Bastard Sword just to take on 4 Kings at SL12. They make it really hard to get into Darkwraith at low SL.

Hi folks. Just found this thread.

I am on my first ever playthrough (PC) and just finished Ornstein & Smough :)

I am using a DS3 to play but the Xbox button prompts are still confusing me after 50hrs :/

Does anyone know a good way to replace button images with Playstation ones?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
"dark souls prepare to die has stopped working"

What do I do :(?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That always happens when I set HUD resolution to a custom one in DSfix. Try a more "usual" resolution like 720p, 900p, 1080p.
Argh! I uninstalled the game :/ (reinstalling right now).

Yoshichan

That solved it, thanks!

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, dreading that particular encounter as well.
You could do a gravelord sword run if you want something powerful early on. You can get 4 demon titantite pretty early on enough to get it to +3. Although the four kings are immune to it's toxin aux effect it's still got the damage to deal with them might be a bit heavy for you though.

Yoshichan

Just gave this game another (15+th?) chance.

Yup. Game still sucks balls.

IceMarker

Yoshi this is one of those games that would make Ghandi ragequit, but even with my frustrating first runs of both games... after pulling through there is no greater feeling!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If you really think a game "sucks balls" you wouldn't be playing it for the 15th time. Someone is in denial.

It is his personality/habit of playing games.

Spend $1000 on a game somehow, for no real reason, before it even comes out.

Get himself so hyped that no game could ever live up to it.

Play the game upon release for severely unhealthy amounts of time.

Declare the game sucks.

Keep playing the game.

Game still sucks.

The posts he makes when he first shows himself turning on a game are super entertaining. I love reading his posts, they are a fun glimpse at madness.

Top Bottom