• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith yes. TotG also looks over
Ash Lake
further in. Cool huh :)

Amazingly cool yeah! I always felt Ash Lake was its completely separate thing outside of everything. Just didnt make sense that it existed at the bottom of a tree from that terrible swamp. Looking forward to it!

ElTopo

Banned
Had a thought:

I get why people might prefer DS1 over 2 even though I still think 2 is the better game. I think it boils down to (at least for me) when you re-play both games with a new character. DS2 basically forces you to use the shield most of the time until you get the ADP up there. I think ADP was a mistake design-wise. You start to notice the questionable hitboxes when you 2-arm everything. Whereas DS1 doesn't really have that problem and you can use your shield or 2-arm everything and you're good to go. On the flip side; you can say that Resistance is worthless and the Catacombs and Londo Ruins are beginners traps. But, once you've been through the game and know what you're doing, you know you can avoid these areas and maybe challenge yourself by going through the Catacombs to kill an easy boss and get that Mask that double Endurance regain.

Or I could just be burnt out on DS2.

Right now I'm starting over in DS1, 2-arming with the Zweihander and I already have Havel's Ring and killed the Gargoyles.

Had a thought:

I get why people might prefer DS1 over 2 even though I still think 2 is the better game. I think it boils down to (at least for me) when you re-play both games with a new character. DS2 basically forces you to use the shield most of the time until you get the ADP up there. I think ADP was a mistake design-wise. You start to notice the questionable hitboxes when you 2-arm everything. Whereas DS1 doesn't really have that problem and you can use your shield or 2-arm everything and you're good to go. On the flip side; you can say that Resistance is worthless and the Catacombs and Londo Ruins are beginners traps. But, once you've been through the game and know what you're doing, you know you can avoid these areas and maybe challenge yourself by going through the Catacombs to kill an easy boss and get that Mask that double Endurance regain.

Or I could just be burnt out on DS2.

Right now I'm starting over in DS1, 2-arming with the Zweihander and I already have Havel's Ring and killed the Gargoyles.
Usually the opposite for me - Catacombs and New Londo get hit up almost immediately - New Londo is usually the first place I go, for the Firekeeper's Soul and Catacombs just to get to TotG for the silver serpent ring. New Londo will get hit up again as soon as I have stats for a bow and bought a few poison arrows for Ingward (jump down to Lower Undead Burg is usually the second thing I do after New Londo to open the aquaduct gate/get access to female merchant).. I like to do low level runs though so the gargoyles are always the very last thing I do before Sen's.

Not touching the DS1 vs DS2 argument, I'm all burnt out on it! At the end of the day I really like them both despite whatever faults there are to discuss, itching to pick DS2 up again actually just need an idea for a run or to finish up SL1 run (stopped at Fume Knight, Elana and snow tiger boss - these DLC booses are a killer @ SL1).

ElTopo

Banned
Well, I prefer to avoid the Catacombs and Londo Ruins until I've beaten Sif. That's one thing I distinctly don't like about DS1 in that there's quite a few areas that are a bitch to navigate and just aren't fun to get through (Londo Ruins because of the Ghosts, Blighttown, Sen's Fortress, the Hydra boss, and the arduous task of unlocking the portal to the DLC). Just my humble opinion. Whereas the only really annoying sections in DS2 are the firey level (I forget the name of it) where you fight the Smelter Demon and the optional boss in the 3rd DLC.

Morfeo

Killed the Gravelord on my first attempt, but had to use all ten flasks. I basically went for the ultimate "all out attack"-strategy, which worked decent enough. Might be a bit overpowered.

Anyways, that feeling of overpoweredness quickly disappeared when I went back to fight Kalameet. What a bitch that guy is!

RM8

I just bought this on Steam. I have to unplug my controller before launching the game or it won't start, and apparently I can't change the language. Seems like a solid port, lol. I'm about to download DSFix before actually trying to play.

EDIT: DSFix fixed everything but I still need to plug my controller after the game launches. Oh well, I guess it's a pretty minor issue.

Serpico99

So I beat Bloodborne the other day, and really want to beat Dark Souls now. I played it a while back but only got to the Gargoyles. I wasn't really in the right mood for this game at the time.

Looking for advice on a build for a newcomer. I rolled STR in Bloodborne because the L Sword was pretty OP in that game. I am curious if i should go Dex or Str in this game? I want to use a shield, but I don't want to be a heavy ass tank. I heard you can get a good katana from killing a npc early on, but I also heard there is a good 2h sword by fire link at the beginning too.

Arjen

So I beat Bloodborne the other day, and really want to beat Dark Souls now. I played it a while back but only got to the Gargoyles. I wasn't really in the right mood for this game at the time.

Looking for advice on a build for a newcomer. I rolled STR in Bloodborne because the L Sword was pretty OP in that game. I am curious if i should go Dex or Str in this game? I want to use a shield, but I don't want to be a heavy ass tank. I heard you can get a good katana from killing a npc early on, but I also heard there is a good 2h sword by fire link at the beginning too.

Grab the zweihander in the graveyard near Firelink. If you used Ludwigs in Bloodborne you should feel right at home.

cslesce

I just bought this on Steam. I have to unplug my controller before launching the game or it won't start, and apparently I can't change the language. Seems like a solid port, lol. I'm about to download DSFix before actually trying to play.

EDIT: DSFix fixed everything but I still need to plug my controller after the game launches. Oh well, I guess it's a pretty minor issue.

did you bought it from humblestore 4,99?

quick decision

PS3 or PC?

Randam

so I didn't change anything.
only thing that changed is, that Dark Souls went from GFWL to Steam and now the game is running like ass.
framedrops even without dsfix, pop-ins etc.

hm.. -_-

ElTopo

Banned
did you bought it from humblestore 4,99?

quick decision

PS3 or PC?

PC is definitive with DSfix and mods.

so I didn't change anything.
only thing that changed is, that Dark Souls went from GFWL to Steam and now the game is running like ass.
framedrops even without dsfix, pop-ins etc.

hm.. -_-

Try to unlock the frame rate and lock at 30FPS. If you have a high-end rig you could lock it at 60FPS but there might be the occasional bug.

ElTopo

Banned
Beat Ornstein and Smough again with my new character. Playing the game again without a shield is a very interesting experience. Tempted to either take Patches' Axe for the Catacombs or level up a weapon to Divine status.

I leveled the Uchigatana up to +5 but just the damage was nothing against Ornstein and Smough. So I resorted to my +9 Zwei and just R2'd Ornstein whenever I got a chance and had barely enough stamina to get away. I kinda' regret leveling the Uchigatana but at least I didn't put a lot of resources into it.

Another edit because it doesn't feel right to reply 3 times in a row: I forgot how good Halberd's are in DS1. The durability bug basically nullified all Halberd weapons in DS2. I leveled up the Gargoyle Halberd to Divine +4 and merc'd those skeletons.

Killed Gwyndoline and just took out the 4 Kings of the Abyss with Power Within and still using my default armor. Got the Zwei up to +13.

ElTopo

Banned
Any tips on beating Kalameet?

Two-hand it, have a light equip load, try and get around his ass and get a slash or two in (har har) but don't get greedy. Kalameet is probably the best boss in the game and will take a while to learn his pattern.

You could look up any number of YT videos on how to beat him.

Serpico99

OMG lost 35000 souls at the entrance to Btown.... I definitely need to grind because I am way under leveled at I want to get enough STR for the zweihander.

^ A bunch of dragon scales if you need them. A miracle and a covenant and sword, that's everything I think. Nothing specifically mage-related.

OMG lost 35000 souls at the entrance to Btown.... I definitely need to grind because I am way under leveled at I want to get enough STR for the zweihander.
12,000 souls per Gaping Dragon when you do co-op, not bad for 5 mins work.

btw, are you two-handing the zweihander (as the name suggests) - iirc you only need I think it's 16 STR.

Red Hood

Banned
Guys, after using Durante's fix, bless his (dark) soul, at 60fps I encounter a lot of screen tearing. Apparently when at 60fps, the V-Sync in the DSfix doesn't work. So I've looked it up and a lot of people said one needs to force V-Sync on the executable (DARKSOULS.exe), which I did, but I still have the screen tearing. It's not unplayable, but it's pretty annoying. So at this point I'm contemplating to either continue playing at 60 with these tearing, or 30 without... This is what I have:

dsxlzo6.png

Any tips?

Guys, after using Durante's fix, bless his (dark) soul, at 60fps I encounter a lot of screen tearing. Apparently when at 60fps, the V-Sync in the DSfix doesn't work. So I've looked it up and a lot of people said one needs to force V-Sync on the executable (DARKSOULS.exe), which I did, but I still have the screen tearing. It's not unplayable, but it's pretty annoying. So at this point I'm contemplating to either continue playing at 60 with these tearing, or 30 without... This is what I have:

Any tips?

I'm the same, and I'm using radeon pro and still getting screen tear. (7970 and fx8320)

Morfeo

Two-hand it, have a light equip load, try and get around his ass and get a slash or two in (har har) but don't get greedy. Kalameet is probably the best boss in the game and will take a while to learn his pattern.

You could look up any number of YT videos on how to beat him.

Thanks. Guess I just have to get good. :(

So, as a mage, is there anything worthwhile in Ash Lake?

There is a Titanite Slab and a Dragon Weapon, and of course a Hydra to fight. I would say its worth to go down there just for the view itself though.

Any tips?

Have you tried forcing v-sync using 3D3Overrider?

Woffls

ommgggg I'd been stuck on O&S NG+ for aaaggesss because I wanted to get Ornstein's soul and I don't use summons, so I kept on giving up and wandering off to do other stuff.

Gave it a proper go this time, and on my 4th attempt I defeated them with 20 flasks used and this much health remaining:
Hands are still shaking.

ElTopo

Banned
ommgggg I'd been stuck on O&S NG+ for aaaggesss because I wanted to get Ornstein's soul and I don't use summons, so I kept on giving up and wandering off to do other stuff.

Gave it a proper go this time, and on my 4th attempt I defeated them with 20 flasks used and this much health remaining:

Hands are still shaking.

Good job. Getting Ornstein's souls is a huge pain in the ass.

Hands are still shaking.

I tried beating them on NG+ with a level 41 character to get Smough's soul to unlock the Knight's Honour achievement. I managed it but only after over a dozen tries and because Solaire helped me.

That was madness. Never again. At least I got the trophy.

ElTopo

Banned
I tried beating them on NG+ with a level 41 character to get Smough's soul to unlock the Knight's Honour achievement. I managed it but only after over a dozen tries and because Solaire helped me.

That was madness. Never again. At least I got the trophy.

Smough's soul is easy to get (IMHO). Ornstein is prone to dashing ahead and separating from Smough and it's easier to kill him first and deal with Omega Smough. It's harder to go after Smough in Phase 1 because Ornstein tends to hang around and it's hard to dodge his attacks because Smough is so big and Ornstein can hide behind him and score a cheap hit.

Smough's soul is easy to get (IMHO). Ornstein is prone to dashing ahead and separating from Smough and it's easier to kill him first and deal with Omega Smough. It's harder to go after Smough in Phase 1 because Ornstein tends to hang around and it's hard to dodge his attacks because Smough is so big and Ornstein can hide behind him and score a cheap hit.

Good thing I didn't try to go for Ornstein's souls in NG+ then.

ElTopo

Banned
Okay, got everything wrapped up. About to check out the Artorias DLC again. I dunno how I'm going to do this because every time I've beaten him I would just block all of his attacks with a 100% physical defense shield and get one or two hits in and eventually win.

Serpico99

What is the recommended level for Sens? I just beat the Quelagg and now I am hitting a brick wall here. Are there any optional areas, that I should explore before Sens?

It might be your weapon rather than your level. You want a 10+ weapon at least by now, the Snakemen hit hard but are relatively easy to parry their telegraphed attacks if you're up for that.

ElTopo

Banned
1-shotted the Sanctuary Guardian. R2'ng him with the Zwei is GDLK! Almost 1-shotted Artorias without a shield (I've 1-shotted him twice when I used a shield) but he had a magic pixel of health. Took me about 10 tries to beat him. Fun fight, I have some new-found appreciation for it. I just discovered that when he powers up that you can hit him out of it. Every time he was about to powerup I R2'd him with the Zwei.

What is the recommended level for Sens? I just beat the Quelagg and now I am hitting a brick wall here. Are there any optional areas, that I should explore before Sens?

Almost two years ago I went through Sens Fortress with a +2 or 3 Lightning Spear. It did well against the snake men. That area is totally possible without an amazing weapon. You could try to kill the Undead Dragon in Valley of Drakes for some easy souls.

1-shotted the Sanctuary Guardian. R2'ng him with the Zwei is GDLK! Almost 1-shotted Artorias without a shield (I've 1-shotted him twice when I used a shield) but he had a magic pixel of health. Took me about 10 tries to beat him. Fun fight, I have some new-found appreciation for it. I just discovered that when he powers up that you can hit him out of it. Every time he was about to powerup I R2'd him with the Zwei.
You mean you did it first try (in one)? One shotting something = killing in one hit (which is possible for those bosses I think!) :)

ElTopo

Banned
Beat the game again in my no-shield run. I had to use a shield for one fight, against Manus (and the Hand of Fate) with the Artorias Great Shield and a +5Black Knight Straight Sword. I think Manus is the hardest boss in the game. His pattern is fairly random and it's hard as hell to dodge some of his attacks. And he can easily box you in against the forcefield and 9 times out of 10 he'll do that fury attack where he swipes multiple times and ends with a leap. And I have no clue how to dodge that annoying-as-fuck homing magic attack. That one attack is so fucking cheap.

Tanked Gwyn with the Havel set and +15 Zwei. Never did that before and being able to chug Estus while he's whaling on you is very amusing. I know that strategy isn't going to work in NG+ though.

Beat the game again in my no-shield run. I had to use a shield for one fight, against Manus (and the Hand of Fate) with the Artorias Great Shield and a +5Black Knight Straight Sword. I think Manus is the hardest boss in the game. His pattern is fairly random and it's hard as hell to dodge some of his attacks. And he can easily box you in against the forcefield and 9 times out of 10 he'll do that fury attack where he swipes multiple times and ends with a leap. And I have no clue how to dodge that annoying-as-fuck homing magic attack. That one attack is so fucking cheap.

Tanked Gwyn with the Havel set and +15 Zwei. Never did that before and being able to chug Estus while he's whaling on you is very amusing. I know that strategy isn't going to work in NG+ though.

Your fight with Manus would have been easier if you used the Silver Pendant to block the black magic attacks. My level 41 character could not have beaten him without it. That and summoning Sif to help you out.

Booshka

Stuck on Artorias, just can't make it past his buff ability. It's a really fun fight so far, rolling never felt so satisfying.

Don't let him buff, after a certain amount of damage, he will retreat to buff. When he does, rush toward him with your weapon two-handed and stagger him out of it. A couple 2 handed R1's should stagger him out of his buff animation and allow you to manage the fight much easier.

Woffls

Finalllllyyyy got a Titanite Slab from farming Darkwraiths. I spent about 5 hours doing it yesterday at 5 humanity with the gold whatever ring, and ended up with about 80 titanite chunks and 6 dark hands.

Started again today and went in with 10 humanity for about an hour, and got two dark hands, ~15 titanite chunks and a titanite slab. Not two in a row, unfortunately :(

I know the drop rate increasing isn't supposed to change the relative chance of picking up slabs or whatever, but it does seem odd.

Top Bottom