• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Congrats on the victories.

And yes, Kalameet is the hardest fight in the DLC by a landslide.

Thanks! I can not say that he is also the hardest boss in the whole game outside O&S, for I just did this:

hONRkuF.jpg

Ony used one estus. Finally defeated him on my eight try when I decided to go a bit more slow, and only hit him after either his four-hit combo, or his attempted grab-move. That way, it took some time, but it was safe and quite easy to get him down. Used the Greatshield of Artorias for high stability, Mask of the Child and Ring of Cloranthy for Stamina-regen. Awesome game, 10/10, would beat again!

strafer

Thanks! I can not say that he is also the hardest boss in the whole game outside O&S, for I just did this:

hONRkuF.jpg

Ony used one estus. Finally defeated him on my eight try when I decided to go a bit more slow, and only hit him after either his four-hit combo, or his attempted grab-move. That way, it took some time, but it was safe and quite easy to get him down. Used the Greatshield of Artorias for high stability, Mask of the Child and Ring of Cloranthy for Stamina-regen. Awesome game, 10/10, would beat again!

Did you try and parry him? It's a lot of fun sticking my big katana into his fiery stomach. :D

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Did you try and parry him? It's a lot of fun sticking my big katana into his fiery stomach. :D

I havent really played the game in since june 2014, so I was very rusty, and just went back to complete, so I tried to be completely safe and just avoided/blocked his attacks and striked when I knew it was safe. But yeah, would be fun to try the parrying for sure.

God, it's been a while since I played DS2, but the whole set-up basically confirmed you linked the flame in DS1 didn't it? I know they patched in an alt. ending and everything, but the whole set up of the game is that age after age someone linked the flame (Vendrick being the last).

Nope, the fire got refueled several times before DS2 yet DS2 doesnt confirm who refueled the fire even if the player does the dark lord ending another chosen undead could have refueled the fire anyway since framp/kaathe would look for another undead since space and time mechanics are still operational. It would be cool if the story somewhat gets modified according to your actions. You can expect something like that for Dark Souls 3 ignoring what you did in Dark Souls 2 since From already stablished the cycles storytelling to fill their loopholes.

Vendrick was initially going to link the flame until he realized the queen coveted it, thusly Vendrick fled and locked himself in, realizing he had changed and now preferred the age of Dark.

DS2 actually heavily implies that in DS1 you may have linked the flame or not, the whole idea is that its that ever since Gwyn linked humanity to the flame, its a neverending cycle of light and dark.

Vendrik wanted to rule the world not relink the fire, so with Nashandra help he took the power of the giants and learned how yo use the very essence of the soul yet he was running out of time, the giants suddenly crossed the ocean and invaded drangelic to retake what were theirs (possible the throne) and Nashandra makes her move to take Vendrink's great soul for herself.

Vendrink didnt want to relink the fire since it would cost his humanity in the process and the fire was slowly dying, Vendrik with the help of his brother Aldia were looking for alternatives to break the curse but Nashandra influence was slowly affecting him and the people around drangelic so he fleed on purpose putting barriers to nashandra to denied her the use of the throne.

The Emerald Herald serves her funtion to guide the undead to open those barriers and reclaim the Throne, sacrifice them in the procees to relink the fire and Vendrik would take Drangelic again and possible they next kingdoms yet it was too late, his great souls decayed and he became hollow anyway.

Yes, we need more. I have a big day tomorrow so I can't let loose with this theory I have about Gwyn's wife, kids, and Seath.

There is an interesting speculation about Heides tower was the land were Gwynevere landed with her husband (the lord of fire) using Anor Londo arquitecture and Dragonslayer warriors taken inspiration on the Old Dragonslayer, on the tower some people speculated is her husband living there

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Question that I asked in the Prepare to Die OT: can my (US) PS3 play a PAL version of Prepare to Die? Is there anything I should know about trying to do that?

Red Hood

Banned
Question that I asked in the Prepare to Die OT: can my (US) PS3 play a PAL version of Prepare to Die? Is there anything I should know about trying to do that?

Yes, PS3 is region-free so you can play PAL versions on your NTSC system and vice versa.

There's no way to transfer your character/save data over to retail copy of PTE in case you were wondering that Arkos. If you had the original DS1 and bought the DLC as download, then yes - but the retail disc version, no.

strafer

You can actually see Manus glowing eyes before entering his fog door, if you look down on the right side. Really creepy.

Did not notice it before.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Hi! Good to be back, I aprreciate theconcern from the last page, haha.

I dont think my ban in particular was suuuper warranted (I was referring to a situation, not to a person), but its a good rule to have in place in order to prevent much worse behavior from other posters. So whoever was the mod in charge is setting the right tone. No probs from me.

As far as Dark Souls, the ban did stop me from posting the last piece of the project, when the Chosen Undead finally gets his ass to Anor Londo.

inktober_15_day_31.jpg

Manu

Good to see you back, Spaniard. And the art is amazing, as always.

But seriously, no Ornstein & Smough? j/k

So, I'm nearing the end of the game now, about SL80 and I'm not quite sure what to do next.
I finished Demon Ruins in about an hour (Fuck Bed of Chaos)
Mostly finished the DLC, Artorias actually wasn't that hard, as soon as i could light roll the fight became a lot easier, only thing that pissed me off was the fact that he could spam his front flip and hit you while you're down.
So next up I've got The Catacombs
Kalameet and Manus and then Gwyn I guess, I ran through the Painted World and fucked up Priscilla pretty easily. I was thinking Kalameet>Catacombs and Nito>Manus then Gwyn but maybe I should just go Kalameet and Manus then Catacombs.
My set up is Zweihander+15
Grass Crest Shield when I want to fast roll but Greatshield of Artorias if I need to block during a fight.
Mask of the Mother
Elite Knight armor+6
Gauntlets of Artorias+5
Leggings of artorias+5
Ring of Favor
Havel's Ring

Awesome art, Spaniard. Would love a little print of that Anor Londo arrival.

So after hundreds of hours across PS3 and PC, I finally decided to do my first SL1 run last night. Got up to O&S today and, as expected, they're giving me some trouble. Not as much as I expected, though, to be honest.

Dreading Four Kings and Manus, though.

Booshka

You can actually see Manus glowing eyes before entering his fog door, if you look down on the right side. Really creepy.

Did not notice it before.

You can also kill him from there using arrows, iirc

Really? That must take an insane amount of arrows then, he has like the highest health of any boss in the game I think.

It does take a while. Hawk ring, RTSR, highest damage arrows, fully upgraded bow all help though.

heh

Black Bow of Pharis +15 with 40 Dex, Hawk Ring, Feather Arrows, Red Tearstone ring and/or Power Within can take him down pretty quickly.

I've done it successfully a few times in other player's games when I was trolling ganking hosts.

Tarkus

heh

Black Bow of Pharis +15 with 40 Dex, Hawk Ring, Feather Arrows, Red Tearstone ring and/or Power Within can take him down pretty quickly.

I've done it successfully a few times in other player's games when I was trolling ganking hosts.
Nice!!!! Complete thread backfire on that guy too, lol. Did you respond to him? I looked through the first 10 pages and didn't see you.

Booshka

Nice!!!! Complete thread backfire on that guy too, lol. Did you respond to him? I looked through the first 10 pages and didn't see you.

I thought about it, but I never posted, wanted to see how the thread progressed without me involved.

Someone who frequented GameFAQs linked me when the thread was posted. I just lurked it and enjoyed the back and forth.

Definitely one of my fav things I ever did in Dark Souls, I pulled that off about a dozen times to other gankers years ago, it was a Salt Mine.

Going through my seventh or so playthrough and saw something I'd never seen before today. I was in the basement of the Painted World where the wheel skeletons are, and as I ran away from some I noticed these odd projectiles homing in on me from the darkness. At first I thought it was an attack from the wheel guys I'd never seen before, but upon closer inspection it was a small tentacle creature. It died really quick and dropped nothing, but goddamn was it an unexpected find.

Apparently that was an "Evil Vagrant". It always amazes me how much stuff there is to find in these games even after all these hundreds of hours spread across multiple characters.

Hi! Good to be back, I aprreciate theconcern from the last page, haha.

I dont think my ban in particular was suuuper warranted (I was referring to a situation, not to a person), but its a good rule to have in place in order to prevent much worse behavior from other posters. So whoever was the mod in charge is setting the right tone. No probs from me.

As far as Dark Souls, the ban did stop me from posting the last piece of the project, when the Chosen Undead finally gets his ass to Anor Londo.

inktober_15_day_31.jpg

Do one from the bonfire lady!!!

So what the fuck was the red crab shooting magic at me? I've run past the area by the broken window before O&S multiple times but haven't seen it before.

Sorry about that, did not see it further up.

Kind of wish I left it alone so it could have possibly become a phantom, sounds fun, but I couldn't resist killing something new.

strafer

heh

Nice. Must try this on my next playthrough.

Is this still viable on NG+?

So I am stuck at the Painted wall place, and those wheel skeletons are kicking my ass.

Any tips? I'm level 67 magic build with a +10 Halberd.
Which way are you entering the bonewheel area? I find it easier to enter from the well, and once you know the placements of the bonewheel skeletons you can take them on one by one.

They don't have too much HP and a two handed swing from a decently upgraded weapon will one shot them. I usually get their attention then sneak back behind a wall and as they walk up - SMASH! If you plan on blocking their rolling attack you need a shield with very good stability to withstand the stamina drain. The ones in the wider area can all be taken one at a time too, draw out the first ones with a bow (from the illusory wall side), then take them out one by one, don't move too deep in to the area so as not to attract all of them.

dagger/dagger would be kind of pointless since dual weilding in DS1 doesn't really exist (in the same way it does in DS2 that is) - you might want to go for the parrying dagger in left hand, and dagger or bandit knife in right hand though. Parrying dagger can... parry (bet you didn't see that coming!), so it's a bit more useful than dagger/dagger, fun too. You'd need to be confident at parrying and dodging to do a no shield build though, I wouldn't recommend this as a first playthrough.

Sweihander one handed or use in 2 handed mode? It feels like the thief is easiest to play since of the fast roll
Fast roll is only dependent on equipment load - any character with sub-25% equip load will fast roll.

oh yeah just messing around with dual wield now, seems entirely pointless

i do like fast roll though

so for the sweihander/shield build I guess i can continue from my axe/shield guy and just boost up my strength a bit. Can it be used equally well 1 handed with a shield and 2 handed with a shield on the back for extra defense or what?Why is it preferable to sword/polearm/halberd/axe and shield?

Zweihander is popular because of the moveset, a lot of people like the R2 which is an overhead smash flattening enemies on the ground and the wide sweeping R1 attacks that can stunlock. As the name suggests it's meant to be two handed (which only takes 16 STR iirc), but can work fine with a shield if you like the one-handed moveset too. Two hand it with the grass crest shield on your back for the passive stamina regen boost which helps with large weapons like this that are stamina hungry.

I would also try out the Claymore and Halberd as other popular alternatives.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Zweihander and fast build can go hand in had. I wore light armor and could do all the fast rolls, destroy anyone in my path and have a shield for shenanigans.

Once I was good at the game I was rocking a sorcerer build with Velkas Rapier (sorecry boost) and I was killing everything with high level spells and finishing them off with counters and melee.

Tarkus

The Balder Side Sword is probably the best bang for your buck in terms of weight:damage output:stat investment. Of course, you'll have to do a bit of farming to get it. Totally worth it though. Farm the Balder Knights in the Parish or Sen's.

Zweihander is popular because of the moveset, a lot of people like the R2 which is an overhead smash flattening enemies on the ground and the wide sweeping R1 attacks that can stunlock. As the name suggests it's meant to be two handed (which only takes 16 STR iirc), but can work fine with a shield if you like the one-handed moveset too. Two hand it with the grass crest shield on your back for the passive stamina regen boost which helps with large weapons like this that are stamina hungry.

I would also try out the Claymore and Halberd as other popular alternatives.
So then technically I won't be using a shield to block and parry? Just on my back for defense?

Booshka

So then technically I won't be using a shield to block and parry? Just on my back for defense?

Your 2 handed swings will first hit stagger pretty much every enemy, and then stunlock them until they are dead. So you just need to time your swings, and get your spacing right, and it will be no problem. You can also walk around with your shield up, wait for an enemy swing, block it, then when they recoil off your shield, switch to 2 handed and start swinging, really effective strategy.

You can always parry whenever you feel comfortable, and you can 2 hand your weapon before the riposte for a boost in damage on that as well.

Top Bottom