• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Your 2 handed swings will first hit stagger pretty much every enemy, and then stunlock them until they are dead. So you just need to time your swings, and get your spacing right, and it will be no problem. You can also walk around with your shield up, wait for an enemy swing, block it, then when they recoil off your shield, switch to 2 handed and start swinging, really effective strategy.

You can always parry whenever you feel comfortable, and you can 2 hand your weapon before the riposte for a boost in damage on that as well.
aight, but the staggering isn't gonna work against bosses no? Right now I think it'll be easy to switch over my playstyle of axe/shield to that. I'm assuming just pump a ton of points in to Vit, End and Str?

also the game is having a weird issue

-game is running fine on my laptop, 720p, AA on, silky smooth locked 30fps
-install DSfix to see if i can run it at 1080p
-I can't because FromSoft lol
-remove DSfix
-now it says the game is running but I don't even have a tab open on my taskbar and the game doesn't show up in task manager and the only way to stop it is to shut down my PC

If I re-install DSfix and set the resolution to 720p it works again but I just wanna get rid of it because I swear DSFix is adding some other effects or something to get it to run slightly worse than vanilla DS1

I already tried uninstalling GFWL and that didn't do anything

Did you disable in-game anti aliasing

yeah

oh well i'll just re-download dsfix and set it for 720p with no
ah, didn't delete all the dsfix files

anyway the longsword seems better than the Black Knight Sword so far, much easier to manuever. Balder Side Sword also seems identical to the Longsword except less durable

strafer

So someone mentioned that you can block DarkSouls.exe to stop it from going online so that you can still be online on Steam and get the added playtime.

I tried with Windows Firewall but didn't seem to work. Still online.

Reason is that I want to be human to get the sidequests done but I get invaded constantly with some overpowered cheater. It's not fun. :(

Capra first then Depths, Darkroot can wait, is an optional area early

do i have to eventually buy the forest door pass thing or is it like the Hunter's Chief Emblem in BB where I unlock the area later on naturally? Also is the Balder side sword really that much better than the Longsword? I prefer the Longsword's moveset

Tarkus

do i have to eventually buy the forest door pass thing or is it like the Hunter's Chief Emblem in BB where I unlock the area later on naturally? Also is the Balder side sword really that much better than the Longsword? I prefer the Longsword's moveset
You don't need the Crest of Artorias to get behind the door; however, you'll probably want to have it. The way around is long and ridiculous just to get behind the door. Since there is a bonfire right there and you can make the 20000 souls cost back in no time by farming Forest Hunters, I'd buy it.

BSS and LS are similar weapons. BSS had E/A scaling, LS has C/C. They have exact same base damage so on a quality build of 40/40 STR/DEX, the LS may have a point or two higher AR. On a DEX build the BSS is the clear winner in terms of damage. The BSS has better reach and vicious thrusting R2 attacks that eat through poise and are very interesting coupled with the Leo Ring. I use both swords frequently. I think it comes down to which moveset you like, which look you like, and your build with these two. For me, it's the BSS because of the thrusts.

You don't need the Crest of Artorias to get behind the door; however, you'll probably want to have it. The way around is long and ridiculous just to get behind the door. Since there is a bonfire right there and you can make the 20000 souls cost back in no time by farming Forest Hunters, I'd buy it.

BSS and LS are similar weapons. BSS had E/A scaling, LS has C/C. They have exact same base damage so on a quality build of 40/40 STR/DEX, the LS may have a point or two higher AR. On a DEX build the BSS is the clear winner in terms of damage. The BSS has better reach and vicious thrusting R2 attacks that eat through poise and are very interesting coupled with the Leo Ring. I use both swords frequently. I think it comes down to which moveset you like, which look you like, and your build with these two. For me, it's the BSS because of the thrusts.
I prefer the quicker horizontal slashing as opposed to the long wind-up of the thrusts tbh

Turns out I'm not so done after all ...

tumblr_nygizneryV1qed0geo1_1280.jpg

Looks amazing with color!

holy shit i thought Frenzy in BB was annoying

cursing is a whole different enemy ugh

edit: aaaaaaand now i'm at the toxic blowdarts. ugh Bloodborne was much better designed than this goddamn

Booshka

I prefer the quicker horizontal slashing as opposed to the long wind-up of the thrusts tbh

Longsword is one of the best weapons in the game, extremely varied moveset and great damage if you upgrade and level right.

Upgrade it toward +15, +5 it, then grab the Large Ember for +10, Very Large Ember for +15, and level your STR/DEX to about 27/40 respectively. If you like the Longsword, try out the Claymore too, it has the same moveset essentially, just as a Greatsword.

2 hand for best results.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Man, you should open a Patreon. Your drawings are a thing of true beauty.

Man Id love to (extra $$$ is nice) but I dont think I have a big enough following yet (twitter and tumblr) Its something I can work towards to for sure (and I already work full time in the games industry, so its not like Im a struggling artist)

holy shit i thought Frenzy in BB was annoying

cursing is a whole different enemy ugh

edit: aaaaaaand now i'm at the toxic blowdarts. ugh Bloodborne was much better designed than this goddamn
A bit of prep can handle both of those:

- Wearing something with curse resistance can help with curse (although it's not something that you encounter a lot any way).

- Farming (from the trees in the forest) some blooming purple moss for the toxic. There is also a shield to be found in the Depths that blocks all poison and toxic 100%. The blow-dart enemies don't respawn, so I suggest even if they toxic you, make a beeline for them and take them out straight away and heal your way through the toxic.

The female undead merchant in the aquaduct sells moss as well as purging stones to cure curse, and also dung pies which can be used to give yourself a lesser (slower) strain of toxic which some people use to help with the blowdart guys.

I think the yum-yum frenzy monsters in BB are way more dangerous/annoying.

Longsword is one of the best weapons in the game, extremely varied moveset and great damage if you upgrade and level right.

Upgrade it toward +15, +5 it, then grab the Large Ember for +10, Very Large Ember for +15, and level your STR/DEX to about 27/40 respectively. If you like the Longsword, try out the Claymore too, it has the same moveset essentially, just as a Greatsword.

2 hand for best results.
Switched to the black knight sword because of the damage

Also I got a large ember but I'm confused as to how it works, I think I accidentally refused to give it to the blacksmith guy in the parish. Also why do some things like the black knight sword and gargoyle helm require twinkling titanite to upgrade? Haven't found any yet. Once again, prefer BB's streamlining here

Different blacksmiths take different embers (only one blacksmith can usually ascend a particular upgrade path - fire, magic etc) - Andre at the Parish is the one you take regular weapon upgrade path embers to like the large one you got. Just speak to him again and he will take it, no other blacksmith can take it and there is no other use for it - allowing you to ascend your +5 weapon to +6, then any blacksmith or yourself at a bonfire can upgrade it further.

Different weapons use different materials to upgrade, those that use twinkling or other special materials only go to +5, but that +5 is on par with a +15 weapon that takes regular titanite. It's just a different item to upgrade really, you get enough of everything and sources to buy most of it later on.

Boney

Banned
My rule of thumb for Twinkling Titanite upgrades is that it's stuff that you can't buy from merchants and that they're "special" items. There's some exceptions but it's a good rule of thumb.

It doesn't mean that it's better equipment than regular stuff though.

As mentioned above, when you get weapons to +5 you can choose upgrade paths depending on the embers and different blacksmiths there are. There's regular, magic (and enchanted) , holy (and occult) and fire (and chaos) here. Regular goes to +15, magic/holy/fire to +10 and while enchanted/occult/chaos go to plus +5 when ascending +5 elemental weapons. Any path will perfectly take you to end game so don't fret about it.

Was doing a new run with a warrior as a starting class which I hadn't started before and did an early dash through valley of wyverns and managed to loop around the darkroot garden to get the wolf ring and grass crest shield, got two twinkling titanite and the black knight dropped his black knight great sword. Upgraded it to +2 and lmao 2 handing it and been tearing everything up so hard. Just bonkers.

Tarkus

Switched to the black knight sword because of the damage

Also I got a large ember but I'm confused as to how it works, I think I accidentally refused to give it to the blacksmith guy in the parish. Also why do some things like the black knight sword and gargoyle helm require twinkling titanite to upgrade? Haven't found any yet. Once again, prefer BB's streamlining here
But you liked the versatile moveset of the Longsword. The BK Sword is a powerful early weapon, yet its moveset is absolute garbage with useless R2s that twirl at the end. I suggest the Claymore if you like greatswords. Twinkling Titanite is going to cost you 8000 souls a pop, and you're nowhere near a farming point for them yet.

But you liked the versatile moveset of the Longsword. The BK Sword is a powerful early weapon, yet its moveset is absolute garbage with useless R2s that twirl at the end. I suggest the Claymore if you like greatswords. Twinkling Titanite is going to cost you 8000 souls a pop, and you're nowhere near a farming point for them yet.
BK sword does a ton more damage tho, got it to +2 and it's doing ridiculous damage

i don't have that much strength but it's laughable how much damage it's doing, pretty easy to handle as well if i stick to R1s

also is there any reason to use twinkling titanite on armors? doesn't seem worth it when it can go towards my sword instead

also not a fan of how the grass crest shield gives your character that green glowing effect

also i thought i cleared out blighttown but apparently not? I got to the new londo ruins and can't progress. I figured the bell was in there. edit: nevermind, found her

^damn dude, nice work

also 1) how the hell do i kill the hydra, I randomly fell to my death? 2) A while ago I found a key to a watchtower in the undead burg, where exactly is that? Still haven't found it

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
^damn dude, nice work

also 1) how the hell do i kill the hydra, I randomly fell to my death? 2) A while ago I found a key to a watchtower in the undead burg, where exactly is that? Still haven't found it

Thanks!

The fall is near the rivers edge, stay there and runincircles/lure the Hydra who will lunge at you (with its heads) Then you can easily chop them off with melee

Gorgeous work Spaniard, please colour some more! :)

@PsychoWARD23 - The watchertower is just up from where the Hydra is, you're really close to it!
No other way to get to it than by killing the Hydra? Think I'm gonna go to Sen's Fortress first then. I also might have the Demon Ruins but I think I explored everywhere there, there was just lava everywhere and I couldn't progress.

Also it's annoying how I can't finish New Londo ruins yet but eh

The Watchtower is in the opposite direction from the Hydra you don't have to kill it to get there (you have to kill it but not for that). There's also two entrances to the Watchtower, one I'm sure you've already been to (top) and one you probably walked by when you saw the Hydra (bottom).

Demon Ruins - explore a bit more, there's a way to remove the lava, but there is a later block that cannot be removed until you are further into the game so you won't be able to progress all the way there.

The Watchtower is in the opposite direction from the Hydra you don't have to kill it (you have to kill it but not for that).

Demon Ruins - explore a bit more, there's a way to remove the lava, but there is a later block that cannot be removed until you are further into the game so you won't be able to progress all the way there.
alright i'll just go to the watchtower now then and go back to kill the hydra later when i'm more leveled up, same with the Demon Ruins. No point in going there if I can't complete the zone.

strafer

Dies this red D means that my strength is not enough for this weapon? If so, how much would I have to increase it?

No. D is the Scaling. How much bonus you get from your Strength stat.

And what I can see you can use that weapon.

and if you couldn't then the letters on your right would be red. The arm and hand icon.

uAklcEj.png

The red D is saying that the weapon you have highlighted (Halberd) has worse strength scaling than the weapon you have equipped.

The stats you need to weild a weapon are to the right under ReqParam (Halberds is STR 16, DEX 12). The strength requirement is lower if you two hand a weapon.

edit - changed SKL to DEX, too much Bloodborne!

Unai

No. D is the Scaling. How much bonus you get from your Strength stat.

And what I can see you can use that weapon.

and if you couldn't then the letters on your right would be red. The arm and hand icon.

uAklcEj.png

The red D is saying that the weapon you have highlighted (Halberd) has worse strength scaling than the weapon you have equipped.

The stats you need to weild a weapon are to the right under ReqParam (Halberds is STR 16, DEX 12). The strength requirement is lower if you two hand a weapon.

edit - changed SKL to DEX, too much Bloodborne!

Oh, thanks guys. That actually makes a lot of sense since it's called "Param Bonus".

It's my first time playing Dark Souls. I just rang the first bell and now I'm trying to beat the Capra Demon.

It's my first time playing Dark Souls. I just rang the first bell and now I'm trying to beat the Capra Demon.
Eeeeexcellent! Welcome, cursed one.

z2ORn.gif

I went through the majority of my first playthrough without guides and found it the best EXCEPT for how items worked, locations, and certain conditions. There are deeper systems at work, they're just hard to see!

Unai

Eeeeexcellent! Welcome, cursed one.

z2ORn.gif

I went through the majority of my first playthrough without guides and found it the best EXCEPT for how items worked, locations, and certain conditions. There are deeper systems at work, they're just hard to see!

Yeah, I'm trying to play with as minimal external help as possible. I started it on Monday and I'm already hooked.

so uh... has this glitch happened to anyone else? I have no idea how this occurred ahaha... Video Showing Glitch

haha, I like the mirror shield, too.

So up to Manus on my SL1 run and he is giving me a hell of a time. Got him down to one hit and choked. One thing I will say is that not being able to tank his attacks with a shield has made me a much better fighter against him. But I usually mis-time the Pendant and get blasted with his magic attacks before too long...

is it true that giants armor has a stamina penalty compared to black iron armor? having trouble deciding on which ones i should boost to +5

I'm using the black knight halberd and grass crest shield

I am getting rekt by Artorias. I am a bit depressed by that because I don't think he is that difficult. It's just that if I make one mistake, I lose. :/

ah just saw the silver knight spear counts, dope

should I go to catacombs, new londo, valley of drakes or somewhere else if I just placed the lordvessel on the altar?

also are any of the boss souls worth keeping if I'm running a mainly str/vit/end/dex build?

Tarkus

is it true that giants armor has a stamina penalty compared to black iron armor? having trouble deciding on which ones i should boost to +5

I'm using the black knight halberd and grass crest shield
I think the regen penalty is the same since they're both in the heavy class of armors.

ah just saw the silver knight spear counts, dope

should I go to catacombs, new londo, valley of drakes or somewhere else if I just placed the lordvessel on the altar?

also are any of the boss souls worth keeping if I'm running a mainly str/vit/end/dex build?
New Londo, Duke's Archives, or Catacombs are all logical at this point. VoD is not really an area. More of a thoroughfare.

I never really liked boss weapons. I guess the Dragonslayer Spear is okay if you like spears.

Top Bottom