• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah the Moonlight Butterfly Horn is from the soul of the moonlight butterfly, as the name says. It's a spear with pure magic damage and scales with int. It's not that great, but it can be a decent melee back-up for a magic build until you get Seath's tail (the moonlight greatsword).

Tarkus

Just wanted to say this, I think the best PvP sites are the gargoyle bridge at Anor Londo and the upper area in Sen's Fortress behind the Illusory wall to the left as you enter the Fortress. How these areas aren't hot, I'll never know. Maybe it's the distance from the bonfire. Beautiful places of battle. If anyone on the PS3 wants to duel, I have characters at every imaginable level. Just throwing it out there.

Wow people weren't joking when they said the game takes a pretty noticeable dip in quality in the second half. Crystal Cave, Tomb of the Giants and Lost Izalith all blow.

Wow people weren't joking when they said the game takes a pretty noticeable dip in quality in the second half. Crystal Cave, Tomb of the Giants and Lost Izalith all blow.

Crystal cave have some extra hidden paths and the blue titanite, I think there a quite rare ring on the tomb of giants which grants you more souls per kill

IUHpwJW.jpg

Never noticed this before, but what is that in the bottom right? Centipede demon? Pretty cool if so.

Also finally got Manus on my sl1....feels good.

Yes, it is the centipede demon. Dark Souls does a great job of connecting areas and events like this.

The areas that are popular for PVP are because of invasion frequency. The Forest has its own covenant, the township has no boss-alive requirement, the parish is the place to ambush new players, etc..

IUHpwJW.jpg

Never noticed this before, but what is that in the bottom right? Centipede demon? Pretty cool if so.

It is the Centipede Demon right where the soul item is on the same level as the bonfire, you're not able to interact with it unfortunately. Would be cool if you could hit it and it would drop down giving you a clue as to what the boss was.

Yes, it is the centipede demon. Dark Souls does a great job of connecting areas and events like this.

It is the Centipede Demon right where the soul item is on the same level as the bonfire, you're not able to interact with it unfortunately. Would be cool if you could hit it and it would drop down giving you a clue as to what the boss was.

That's awesome, can't believe I missed this until now. What a rewarding game, been playing for years and keep noticing new things.

Crystal cave have some extra hidden paths and the blue titanite, I think there a quite rare ring on the tomb of giants which grants you more souls per kill

yeah I'm just saying I don't find the areas as well designed or fun to play through as the previous areas. Lost Izalith for a variety of reasons, Crystal Cave for the invisible paths and Tomb of the Giants for the darkness (Which I'm gonna get the sunlight helm thingy for first before trying again but still)

Unai

Kill the Centipede Demon who drops the Orange Charred Ring. He's behind two fog doors and you must have placed the Lord Vessel.

Or

Put on the highest fire resistance and use flame sweat pyromancy and suicide.

I see. So you you take a while. I'll come back much later.

yeah I'm just saying I don't find the areas as well designed or fun to play through as the previous areas. Lost Izalith for a variety of reasons, Crystal Cave for the invisible paths and Tomb of the Giants for the darkness (Which I'm gonna get the sunlight helm thingy for first before trying again but still)

You are right, those zones looks like FROM ran out of time to finish the game, In my personal experience Crystal cave is fine since it was recently created by Seath in his experiments with the cristals and Oolacile magic.

You can use the Skull lantern as a light source for the Tomb of giants

You are right, those zones looks like FROM ran out of time to finish the game, In my personal experience Crystal cave is fine since it was recently created by Seath in his experiments with the cristals and Oolacile magic.

You can use the Skull lantern as a light source for the Tomb of giants

Skull lantern never dropped so I have to go to Lost Izalith first to get the helm. So far they don't even seem unfinished, just not a fan of any of the gimmicks.

Skull lantern never dropped so I have to go to Lost Izalith first to get the helm. So far they don't even seem unfinished, just not a fan of any of the gimmicks.
You must've missed one of the necromancers since I'm certain it's a guaranteed drop similar to the symbol of avarice (chest mimic head), if it doesn't drop from any other, it will definately drop from the last one. There is one as loot in TOTG itself, but sunlight maggot or cast light is the best way to go.

Mistel

Banned
You must've missed one of the necromancers since I'm certain it's a guaranteed drop similar to the symbol of avarice (chest mimic head), if it doesn't drop from any other, it will definately drop from the last one. There is one as loot in TOTG itself, but sunlight maggot or cast light is the best way to go.
It depends on the source some say it is others don't, but I think it's a guaranteed drop from one of the necromancers in the catacombs so they've probably missed something.

Necromancers:
1. In the first bonfire room
2. Across the first bridge with 3 skeletons
3. At the far end of the first (upper) rotating bridge
4. In the room with the switch (get to by the stairs leading to the drop to Vamos or where the Sythe is)
5. At the bottom of the ladder leading up to TWOP (can kill with arrows or get to by the broken wall where the Gwyndolin-related ring is)
6. At the bottom with two skeleton archers at the doorway leading to the bonewheel skeletons.

I think that's all of them.

takriel

Hey guys, hope you can help me out. I recently installed a few mods and the Dark Souls HD Texture Pack. Since then I'm sometimes getting huge FPS drops. I'm pretty sure it's the HD texture pack. Does someone have a solution on how to fix this? I can't be the only one that gets those drops, can I?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

strafer

Hey guys, hope you can help me out. I recently installed a few mods and the Dark Souls HD Texture Pack. Since then I'm sometimes getting huge FPS drops. I'm pretty sure it's the HD texture pack. Does someone have a solution on how to fix this? I can't be the only one that gets those drops, can I?

There's nothing you can really do. It's a shitty PC port.

IUHpwJW.jpg

Seeing that kind of things is an awesome touch very attached to Souls games. It not only is the Centipede Demon, but also is the missing arm of Ceaseless Discharge. According to the lore, he is the only son of Izalith, and he born with the curse of suppurate lava from his skin. It hurt him a lot so his sisters made him the Orange Charred Ring to aliviate his pain, but the arm that was wearing it dropped from him thus missing the ring as well. Thats why he ends flooding the whole area with lava.

And that's why his arm is close to him.

Ceaseless Discharge.

Orange Charred Ring.

I love this game's lore.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Marcus just shared your stuff on twitter ;)
VV is nothing but trash

Are you planning to make a collection of your pieces at any point?

Yeah my mentions blew the fuck up overnight, it was awesome! Ive been trying to
pester
get in touch with Dark Souls fans that have a big platform, see if I can get more eyes on the work, its difficult but when it pays off, it works!

I do want to compile all the drawings into a book or something more ambitious, but I need to find a partner, get organized with a patreon/kickstarter or something of the like.

Unai

From the wiki:

Fire Claymore +10 247/0/247/0

Does this mean that the Claymore fully fire upgrade will do 494 damage? (If you don't count the enemy physical and fire defenses and my bonuses, of course)

Right now I have a Black Knight Sword + 5. I don't know if I start upgrading my Claymore. I much prefer it's String atack than the BKS one.

vladdamad

Currently trying to run through the game on a Str build, stats are as follows: Vit = 22; End = 37; Str = 46. I have a Demon Greataxe and a Great Club upgraded to +15 (Darkwraiths in New Londo Ruins somehow dropped two titanite slabs, guess I got lucky). I am leaning more towards the Demon Greataxe currently as it seems to do a tiny bit more damage than the Great Club. Should I continue using this weapon, or should I look upping my strength to 50 so that I can use something like Dragon Tooth or Smough's Hammer? I am basically looking to make a super tanky build so slow moveset doesn't matter to me as long as the overall damage is really high.

Also, I saw videos of someone using Crystal Magic Weapon which seems to completely obliterate bosses, is it worth it to upgrade Int on this character so that I can use this buff or should I do this on my Dex character instead? Thanks!

Tarkus

Currently trying to run through the game on a Str build, stats are as follows: Vit = 22; End = 37; Str = 46. I have a Demon Greataxe and a Great Club upgraded to +15 (Darkwraiths in New Londo Ruins somehow dropped two titanite slabs, guess I got lucky). I am leaning more towards the Demon Greataxe currently as it seems to do a tiny bit more damage than the Great Club. Should I continue using this weapon, or should I look upping my strength to 50 so that I can use something like Dragon Tooth or Smough's Hammer? I am basically looking to make a super tanky build so slow moveset doesn't matter to me as long as the overall damage is really high.

Also, I saw videos of someone using Crystal Magic Weapon which seems to completely obliterate bosses, is it worth it to upgrade Int on this character so that I can use this buff or should I do this on my Dex character instead? Thanks!
The Demon Greataxe is the most powerful weapon in the game. I think it's worth upgrading INT so you can use buffs. Sorcerer's and Oolacile Catalyst both only need 10 INT. If you're not trying to aim at a minimum soul level, then by all means go for it.

vladdamad

The Demon Greataxe is the most powerful weapon in the game. I think it's worth upgrading INT so you can use buffs. Sorcerer's and Oolacile Catalyst both only need 10 INT. If you're not trying to aim at a minimum soul level, then by all means go for it.

Thanks! Yeah this is just a PvE thing I'm trying out to see what the maximum damage output I can get, so I guess I will grind a little to increase INT.

Unai

It does do 494 before counting in the enemy's defences.

I see.

There's something weird that I quite didn't get yet. I've made a Lightning Serpement-man Greatsword and upgrade it to +9. In the status sheet it says that it will do more damage than my Black Knight Sword, something like 540 or something. But every enemy that I attacked up to now suffer less damage than when I hit them with my Black Knight Sword.

I don't remember if was testing it one handed or two handed. Maybe it's the added strength of two handed that's making my BKS stronger since it has scaling?

Mistel

Banned
I see.

There's something weird that I quite didn't get yet. I've made a Lightning Serpement-man Greatsword and upgrade it to +9. In the status sheet it says that it will do more damage than my Black Knight Sword, something like 540 or something. But every enemy that I attacked up to now suffer less damage than when I hit them with my Black Knight Sword.

I don't remember if was testing it one handed or two handed. Maybe it's the added strength of two handed that's making my BKS stronger since it has scaling?
Why'd you make the STR focused man serpent into an elemental weapon? It's one of the better STR weapons in the game so it's not really worth using for infusions you could of used a bastard sword instead.

It does less as it's doing split damage the black knight greatsword doesn't plus it can actually benefit from scaling unlike the man serpent in it's current state.

Besides removing damage bonus scaling from a weapon, making it elemental also means your attacks are having to go through two defenses - the enemies physical and lightning defenses. In most cases it would be better to keep a weapon purely physical and use a weapon buff (spell or resin) to get better damage results, unless you are staying at a low level where damage bonuses from stat scale don't really come in to play as much.

Unai

Why'd you make the STR focused man serpent into an elemental weapon? It's one of the better STR weapons in the game so it's not really worth using for infusions you could of used a bastard sword instead.

It does less as it's doing split damage the black knight greatsword doesn't plus it can actually benefit from scaling unlike the man serpent in it's current state.

Yeah, but the numbers say that the lightning weapon is stronger than my normal weapon, even considering scaling. That's why I thought that it might be a two hand thing.

Besides removing damage bonus scaling from a weapon, making it elemental also means your attacks are having to go through two defenses - the enemies physical and lightning defenses. In most cases it would be better to keep a weapon purely physical and use a weapon buff (spell or resin) to get better damage results, unless you are staying at a low level where damage bonuses from stat scale don't really come in to play as much.

That... actually makes sense. I hate the strong atack of my Black Knight Sword, but the light atack is so good and so powerful. Oh well.

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, but the numbers say that the lightning weapon is stronger than my normal weapon, even considering scaling. That's why I thought that it might be a two hand thing.
I thought that you knew about the defences playing roles in the damage, same as when I told you that a fire claymore does 494 before factoring in defences.

I get frame drops with the hd texture pack when going to a different area and the game is loading the new texture. Is that when you're experiencing them? If so, the only solution would be to move the game onto an SSD

Unai

I thought that you knew about the defences playing roles in the damage, same as when I told you that a fire claymore does 494 before factoring in defences.

I misunderstood what you said earlier. It makes sense now.

By the way, I already died a handful of times to the last boss. I remembered that I didn't do the DLC so I think I'll go play it first.

Unai

I just beat the last boss parrying him do death! That was awesome (after dying a dozen times)! Thanks everyone here for all the help.

Now I don't know if I continue playing the New Game+ or if I start a new build from scratch... I went melee only this time and I didn't even had an attunement slot. Maybe it's time to play a sorcerer.

Man, I really, really loved this game. It's already my third most played game on Steam, and I not even close to want to stop.

Edit: Sorry about the double post.

so I've cleared out every area except Tomb of the Giants and I don't have a Skull Lantern or Sunglight Maggot helm? I've killed every necromancer and killed the chaos bugs multiple times and nothing. Am I just destined to have my Tomb of the Giants run be in the dark? I also accidentally killed Dusk/I don't use magic anyway so I wouldn't have been able to equip Cast Light. what

vladdamad

so I've cleared out every area except Tomb of the Giants and I don't have a Skull Lantern or Sunglight Maggot helm? I've killed every necromancer and killed the chaos bugs multiple times and nothing. Am I just destined to have my Tomb of the Giants run be in the dark? I also accidentally killed Dusk/I don't use magic anyway so I wouldn't have been able to equip Cast Light. what

Keep going into the Tomb of the Giants until you see an NPC. Talk to this NPC and after the scene that follows you should get the lantern.

Top Bottom