• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

The Sunlight Maggot and Skull Lantern are guaranteed drops. You must've missed a Necromancer or the bug with the helm - there are bugs on both sides of the door, the one with the Sunlight Maggot is visually different to the others (it looks like the helm) and is on the Izalith side of the door.

Elizabeth also sells the same spells as Dusk.

Keep going into the Tomb of the Giants until you see an NPC. Talk to this NPC and after the scene that follows you should get the lantern.
By keep going do you mean going in and then teleporting back or what?
The Sunlight Maggot and Skull Lantern are guaranteed drops. You must've missed a Necromancer or the bug with the helm - there are bugs on both sides of the door, the one with the Sunlight Maggot is visually different to the others (it looks like the helm) and is on the Izalith side of the door.

Elizabeth also sells the same spells as Dusk.
Nope, killed all the bugs and all the Necromancers and nothing.

Unai

By keep going do you mean going in and then teleporting back or what?

I think I got the helm by killing a guy (he was hostile) near the door after a titanite demon in lost izalith. This door is the shortcut between the demon ruins and lost izalith.

I think I got the helm by killing a guy (he was hostile) near the door after a titanite demon in lost izalith. This door is the shortcut between the demon ruins and lost izalith.
If it's the door to the right of the Demon Firesage entrance I can't open it? Says it's locked.

GRIP

If it's the door to the right of the Demon Firesage entrance I can't open it? Says it's locked.

You have to open it from the other side. When you get to the boss fog gate in Lost Izalith you'll see a section on the right (?) that leads to a bridge with a Titanite Demon. Past him is the other side of that door with more maggots to kill. One of them will drop the helmet.

The bug is a guaranteed drop, it's wearing the helm visibly. Either you didn't kill it and it's still there on the Izalith side of the door or you killed it and didn't pick up the drop.

The Necromancers I'm sure are also a guaranteed drop but couldn't say 100% just going by experience and similarity to the Mimics which have a similar drop mechanic (percentage chance of drop and if it hasn't dropped by the last one, it's 100% chance it will drop from that one).

Edit - OK, this ^^ explains it. You haven't been to the Izalith side yet, time to do some more exploring!

"a guy" ? Dude you are NO SUNBRO!!! That guy is Solaire :p

Manu

I'm convinced that half the people who play Souls games have no clue about the characters or the storyline.

I remember seeing this picture some time after beating Demon's:

6a8f858236a41e98710578fbcc3188dd.jpg

My first reaction was "Half of these people weren't even in my game."

It takes time and several playthroughs to meet and getting to know everyone.

Tarkus

I remember seeing this picture some time after beating Demon's:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6a/8f/85/6a8f858236a41e98710578fbcc3188dd.jpg[/img

My first reaction was "Half of these people weren't even in my game."

It takes time and several playthroughs to meet and getting to know everyone.[/QUOTE]
I saw this the other day in the DSII thread: "I'm currently fighting this dark skeleton boss thing after I defeated the two swordmasters. Am I almost done with the game?"

This person is talking about Nashandra. I just don't see how you can play through the game, go through numerous cut scenes with her or that mention her, fight her with her name in the life bar, and not know who she is. I couldn't play a game like these and not invest at least some time into what's going on. But hey, whatever floats their boat.

I'm convinced that half the people who play Souls games have no clue about the characters or the storyline.

Tell me about it. Some people just want to end the game and jump to other games or just try differents builds for the sake of the gameplay, I dont blame them in Bloodborne but in Dark Souls, a world plaged with descriptions on everything is really something to think about it. Maybe no one have time to read and understand stuff they could easily forget later.

There was a topic about the poor storyline implemented in Souls games which I realized how many people dont know whats happening in the game or just tend to watch lore videos to understand whats happening instead of, you know, read the items and notes.

Just finished my SL1 run. I never thought I would have what it takes. Manus was by far the most challenging part, O&S a close second.

I won't even attempt DS2, as I know there is 0% chance of me beating Darklurker. But that was very satisfying.

Unai

I've tried Dishonored this weekend and I was turned off by the huge amount of things telling me what to do and where to go. I think Dark Souls has spoiled me :(

Buraindo

Tell me about it. Some people just want to end the game and jump to other games or just try differents builds for the sake of the gameplay, I dont blame them in Bloodborne but in Dark Souls, a world plaged with descriptions on everything is really something to think about it. Maybe no one have time to read and understand stuff they could easily forget later.

There was a topic about the poor storyline implemented in Souls games which I realized how many people dont know whats happening in the game or just tend to watch lore videos to understand whats happening instead of, you know, read the items and notes.

It's a shame really. I think the godawful 2hard4u marketing and memes are to blame here, very few actually see Souls as complete experiences with some really interesting themes, stories and characters. Some go as far as to not even consider them RPGs when you do make choices all the time, not to mention everything else regarding stats and so on.

mave198

So about to finish up Demon's Souls after buying it a year ago and finally getting around to it last week and definitely going to play Bloodbourne on PS4. But undecided on which Dark Souls to play next. Don't want to get burnt out on "Souls" so play which is better, DS1 or 2?

Manu

Well, DS1 is undoubtably the better game, but DS2 feels "different" than the others, while DS3 looks more like a direct continuation of DS1. So it's up to you.

mave198

Well, DS1 is undoubtably the better game, but DS2 feels "different" than the others, while DS3 looks more like a direct continuation of DS1. So it's up to you.

Well I like what I've seen of DS3, so I guess I'll go with DS1, I just wish it was remastered on PS4 like 2 was....

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I've tried Dishonored this weekend and I was turned off by the huge amount of things telling me what to do and where to go. I think Dark Souls has spoiled me :(
Turn off the objective markers.

Trust me. I played Dishonored fairly recently, and greatly enjoyed it, because I turned off the objective markers and could then explore at my own pace and decide on my own how to handle the mission (stealth vs action, lethal vs non-lethal, sneaking through the roof or through the backdoor, etc.).

So about to finish up Demon's Souls after buying it a year ago and finally getting around to it last week and definitely going to play Bloodbourne on PS4. But undecided on which Dark Souls to play next. Don't want to get burnt out on "Souls" so play which is better, DS1 or 2?

DS2 is a little more consistent, but the highs of DS1 are quite a bit higher imho. In my mind, DS1 also does feel more like a place that I visited instead of a collection of levels. If you worry about 'burning out on Souls' (which you won't - I played all of them over the course of just 18 months), play DS1.

Unai

Turn off the objective markers.

Trust me. I played Dishonored fairly recently, and greatly enjoyed it, because I turned off the objective markers and could then explore at my own pace and decide on my own how to handle the mission (stealth vs action, lethal vs non-lethal, sneaking through the roof or through the backdoor, etc.).

Good ideia, I'll do that when I play it.

I'm finishing my second playthrough through dark souls now. I only need to go through the Catacombs/Tomb of Giants to get the last great soul and then kill the last boss. Now I'm playing as a sorcerer since the first time I played as a pure melee build (I didn't even have an attunement slot). It's a lot of fun and some enemies are way easier this way, like those big worms in the Demon Ruins. My melee weapon is the Moonlight Greatsword.

Oh, and I also just bought Dark Souls II in the Steam Sale.

Well, that's sucks. Oh well, I hope he drops something cool.

So much missable stuff without a guide.
You don't miss any drops either way, I think the only thing you miss by Solaire going hollow in Lost Izalith is the chance to summon him against Gwyn. I think Solaire going hollow is kind of the ending to his questline you're 'meant' to get.

Tarkus

Just watched ENB's Ceaseless Discharge video. I've never used the run for the fog gate method; I just bait the arm. What's the reasoning behind what happens there?

You don't miss any drops either way, I think the only thing you miss by Solaire going hollow in Lost Izalith is the chance to summon him against Gwyn. I think Solaire going hollow is kind of the ending to his questline you're 'meant' to get.
I guess it keeps up with the hopeless theme. Everyone around you goes mad, dies, or suffers.
You can try to throw a poison cloud and kill the bug on the closed door
Can you be more specific? I already opened the door.

Second time through with a new character meant solely for co-oping and decided to try The Painted World for the first time.... Effing beautiful and strange, two years later and I'm still finding things.

This goddamn game.

Tarkus

Second time through with a new character meant solely for co-oping and decided to try The Painted World for the first time.... Effing beautiful and strange, two years later and I'm still finding things.

This goddamn game.
The land of Velka:
Gwyn's estranged wife
😛😛😛

That is fucking awesome SourShoes, now I'm even more hyped to get home and play.

I was also going to say "I'm totally stuckish trying to obtain every item in an unfamiliar area" and I'm loving it! It's been too long.

Tarkus

That is fucking awesome SourShoes, now I'm even more hyped to get home and play.

I was also going to say "I'm totally stuckish trying to obtain every item in an unfamiliar area" and I'm loving it! It's been too long.
That's just my speculation. I might post supporting points if I don't get too rekt when going out tonight.

Mistel

Banned
The land of Velka:
Gwyn's estranged wife
������
That's rather speculatory.
Just watched ENB's Ceaseless Discharge video. I've never used the run for the fog gate method; I just bait the arm. What's the reasoning behind what happens there?
You make him lose his grip once you hit him so then he falls and dies as he's dangling on a cliff.

Unai

I didn't play the DLC during my first playthorugh. Tried it now and the fist boss is just obliterating me. Are the bosses in the DLC usually harder than the ones on the main game?

I'm playing as sorcerer with 39 int right now and the Moonlight Greatsword+2. The last spell that I bought from Logan and the one that he dropped probably would help a lot but I can't cast them yet. I guess I'll just keep trying and get better at dodging him.

Buraindo

The land of Velka:
Gwyn's estranged wife
😛😛😛

First time I've heard this one heheh.

I didn't play the DLC during my first playthorugh. Tried it now and the fist boss is just obliterating me. Are the bosses in the DLC usually harder than the ones on the main game?

I'm playing as sorcerer with 39 int right now and the Moonlight Greatsword+2. The last spell that I bought from Logan and the one that he dropped probably would help a lot but I can't cast them yet. I guess I'll just keep trying and get better at dodging him.

Yeah my first run through the DLC was really tough except, oddly enough, for the final boss. They're a lot more aggressive compared to pretty much anything you face in the main game, but they do leave themselves open for attacks just as often. Takes a while to get used to reading their moves but it's possible.
I think dodging is the best approach but it's a lot more dangerous than usual so I'd recommend getting a shield with good stability (Greatshield of Artorias for example) if you're having too much trouble.

Never had much use for Dragon's Breath myself, I would stick with crystal soul spears and homing mass. Are you using the crown of dusk and bellowing dragon ring to boost your sorcery?

The first DLC boss is actually very easy once you know his patterns (I know you could say that for any boss...), this boss is all about patience really - waiting for the attacks that you can safely follow up with your own. Try to stay out of his range on his melee attacks, simply walking backwards from his 3-4 hit combo is enough and can be followed up with one of your attacks. The lightning atttacks can all be roll/walk dodged. The flying swoop down (not the flying lightning attack) is a really good one to dodge and then follow up with your own attack
there's a tail cut weapon
, but watch out for his tail swipes as they do poison (or toxic? can't remember).

Unai

First time I've heard this one heheh.

Yeah my first run through the DLC was really tough except, oddly enough, for the final boss. They're a lot more aggressive compared to pretty much anything you face in the main game, but they do leave themselves open for attacks just as often. Takes a while to get used to reading their moves but it's possible.
I think dodging is the best approach but it's a lot more dangerous than usual so I'd recommend getting a shield with good stability (Greatshield of Artorias for example) if you're having too much trouble.

Never had much use for Dragon's Breath myself, I would stick with crystal soul spears and homing mass. Are you using the crown of dusk and bellowing dragon ring to boost your sorcery?

The first DLC boss is actually very easy once you know his patterns (I know you could say that for any boss...), this boss is all about patience really - waiting for the attacks that you can safely follow up with your own. Try to stay out of his range on his melee attacks, simply walking backwards from his 3-4 hit combo is enough and can be followed up with one of your attacks. The lightning atttacks can all be roll/walk dodged. The flying swoop down (not the flying lightning attack) is a really good one to dodge and then follow up with your own attack
there's a tail cut weapon
, but watch out for his tail swipes as they do poison (or toxic? can't remember).

I left the boss to go after Nito (my last of the 4 great souls) and came back later with the crystal soul spear and defeated him quite easily. I am using the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring but not the crown of dusk because I don't have it. I think I'll go get it because I'm trying to beat Kalameet now and it's not easy... Thanks you both for the tips.

The great shield of Artorias is not an option because I only have 16 STR, but I'm using the Silver Knight Shiled fully upgraded, which isn't so bad either.

Unai

I've just finished the game for the second time with sorcery (last boss fight). Thanks for the tip about the Crown of Dusk, it helped a lot! My Crystal Soul Spear was super powerful by the end.

Steam says that I have played the game for 120 hours total and I'm not even close of being fatigued.

Now I think I'll start a new character focused on Pyromancy and try to get the Great Scythe in the Catacombs using it as my main weapon. I'll keep my dexterity in 14 and increase my glove, endurance and vitality instead. Once I reach 40 END / 20 VIT / 19 ATT I'll start increasing my dexterity so in the New Game+ I can eventually use a Great Scythe + 15 instead of Fire Great Scythe.

Or... I could just start playing Dark Souls 2 since I bought it in the current Steam Sale, but I don't know.

Edit: Oh my, sorry about the double post.

I've just finished the game for the second time with sorcery (last boss fight). Thanks for the tip about the Crown of Dusk, it helped a lot! My Crystal Soul Spear was super powerful by the end.

Steam says that I have played the game for 120 hours total and I'm not even close of being fatigued.

Now I think I'll start a new character focused on Pyromancy and try to get the Great Scythe in the Catacombs using it as my main weapon. I'll keep my dexterity in 14 and increase my glove, endurance and vitality instead. Once I reach 40 END / 20 VIT / 19 ATT I'll start increasing my dexterity so in the New Game+ I can eventually use a Great Scythe + 15 instead of Fire Great Scythe.

Or... I could just start playing Dark Souls 2 since I bought it in the current Steam Sale, but I don't know.

Edit: Oh my, sorry about the double post.

Sorcerer master race, congrats, Did you beat Manus?

Unai

I hate to feel like I'm flooding, but I just started the year by finishing this game for the third time! (New Game+ with my sorcerer). Steam says I've played 158 hours. I just can't believe how much this game hooked me up.

Now I'm wondering if I go play Dark Souls II now or what. The thing is, I want to play Dragon's Dogma on release and I'll probably won't be finished with the game by there.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Now I'm wondering if I go play Dark Souls II now or what. The thing is, I want to play Dragon's Dogma on release and I'll probably won't be finished with the game by there.
Hmm, 2 weeks is enough to beat the game but it depends on how regularly you play it. But, well, you could always wait til later I guess. I don't know when it'll be on sale again (it's on sale on PSN now, and Steam too I think) but knowing Steam, probably a few times next year :p.

Unai

Hmm, 2 weeks is enough to beat the game but it depends on how regularly you play it. But, well, you could always wait til later I guess. I don't know when it'll be on sale again (it's on sale on PSN now, and Steam too I think) but knowing Steam, probably a few times next year :p.

I already have it. The issue is only time.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I see. Well, if you get a lot of play time per day you could beat it before DD comes out, but yeah DS2 is a big game, the biggest of the series.

Unai

Of course!

UnaiGamer, any particular reason you absolutely want to play DD on release?

Well, I just love Dragon's Dogma too much. I have three copies of it (vanilla ps3, arisen ps3 and 360) and I wanted a version running on a PC or at least a more powerful console for so long that I don't feel like waiting even more.

By the way, I decided to play Dark Souls again and try to get all the achievements. 33 out of 41 so far.

Top Bottom