• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Archon473

I was in Blighttown riding the elevator up to Valley of Drakes when I looked over at the second water wheel... and saw a fire dog trotting inside the turning track like a hamster on a play wheel! Wish I could have captured a screenshot.

Manu

I was in Blighttown riding the elevator up to Valley of Drakes when I looked over at the second water wheel... and saw a fire dog trotting inside the turning track like a hamster on a play wheel! Wish I could have captured a screenshot.

Of course, that's what makes it turn ;)

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a reliable way to coop with a friend these days? We tried a lot (!) of things, but nothing worked at all :/

Edit: Talking coop from basically the start of the game, so no covenant stuff.

Who would be up for a new run as much as possible co-op tomorrow (Sunday jan 3rd 2016)

Platform: PC
Headset for voice chat would be nice.

Not only help with bosses but just playing the game as much as the game allows to play the game co-op from the moment we get the soapstone.

Thanks all :)

Is there a reliable way to coop with a friend these days? We tried a lot (!) of things, but nothing worked at all :/

Like the Asylum? you cant I think, you need the white soapstone for coop

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
What have you tried already?

Waiting an eternity, shutting down firewalls, trying some weird 3rd party program which name I forgot. Searched for portforwarding stuff but it seems that's only relevant to GFWL. We just can't connect at all.

Mistel

Banned
Waiting an eternity, shutting down firewalls, trying some weird 3rd party program which name I forgot. Searched for portforwarding stuff but it seems that's only relevant to GFWL. We just can't connect at all.
Can you actually see any summon signs at all?

zewone

Yep.

Switch your steam downloads region to a different country (my friend and I use Vietnam).

This will put you in the same server and my friend and I see each others sign instantly.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Yep.

Switch your steam downloads region to a different country (my friend and I use Vietnam).

This will put you in the same server and my friend and I see each others sign instantly.

OOh. Thank you! Will try!

Unai

Well, if I want to get all the achievements I only need to get all miracles now. But I don't know if I'll actually do it because it seems that it's such a pain in the ass because of the covenant stuff.

By the way, I know it's pretty weak, but I really like the Painting Guardian Armor set, specially in my sorcerer.

2016-01-04_00001p3o0s.jpg

2016-01-04_00002vto8y.jpg

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Yep.

Not working /sigh

I guess we'll just give up :(

You can get his sword by other means, no need to kill the poor guy! (Unless you want it from the start of the game I suppose)

Well, if I want to get all the achievements I only need to get all miracles now. But I don't know if I'll actually do it because it seems that it's such a pain in the ass because of the covenant stuff.

By the way, I know it's pretty weak, but I really like the Painting Guardian Armor set, specially in my sorcerer.
I like that set too, use the shirt a lot or the Maiden's set top too.

Getting all achievements in DS1 isn't too bad. I have a different PSN tag on my PS4 to my PS3 (stupidly) so I wanted to get platinum again on DS1 and Demon's on the same gamertag as my Bloodborne + SOTFS platinums, so I *just* finished getting the DS1 platinum again this week - NG+ goes by so fast and there isn't that much farming.

If you only need the miracle achievement you've done most of the hard work, if you loot the 3 sunlight medals in Anor Londo three times (because getting all achievements means going to at least Anor Londo in NG++) then you only need one more from summoning Solaire or random co-op or the sunlight maggots in Lost Izalith/Demon Ruins. It's a lot easier to farm them than in DS2 for the same purpose (and it's 30 needed in DS2 too, urgh).

Unai

I like that set too, use the shirt a lot or the Maiden's set top too.

Getting all achievements in DS1 isn't too bad. I have a different PSN tag on my PS4 to my PS3 (stupidly) so I wanted to get platinum again on DS1 and Demon's on the same gamertag as my Bloodborne + SOTFS platinums, so I *just* finished getting the DS1 platinum again this week - NG+ goes by so fast and there isn't that much farming.

If you only need the miracle achievement you've done most of the hard work, if you loot the 3 sunlight medals in Anor Londo three times (because getting all achievements means going to at least Anor Londo in NG++) then you only need one more from summoning Solaire or random co-op or the sunlight maggots in Lost Izalith/Demon Ruins. It's a lot easier to farm them than in DS2 for the same purpose (and it's 30 needed in DS2 too, urgh).

I finally got all of them! In NG+ I still had to go to Ash Lake because I forgot to get the Miracle there. Thank god for the master key so I could go to Blighttown earlier. Still, what an amazing game. I'm definitily looking forward to play the other Souls games.

2016-01-1111_52_11-cotzsyp.png

hey guys, which class is best to start?

i was thinking restarting with bandit + bombs as gift.
Doesn't really matter they all even out after leveling up a few times. Go with which ever you like the starting gear of or start with a slight increase in the stats you intend to boost (i.e. if you're going to use big heavy weapons, start with a character with high strength.

All the starting gifts are kind of useless except the master key, which gives early access to a few areas and shortcuts you wouldn't usually get access to until you've been to at least a couple of the early starting areas (if you don't pick it, you can still buy it later on).

redlegs87

This game is just kicking my ass. I am going through undead burg trying to find my way through the world. I can't seem to get parrying down at all I have gotten like one successful parry in my like half hour of trying to get it down. I am at the part with the dragon that is blocking my path in Undead Burg where do I go from there?

This game is just kicking my ass. I am going through undead burg trying to find my way through the world. I can't seem to get parrying down at all I have gotten like one successful parry in my like half hour of trying to get it down. I am at the part with the dragon that is blocking my path in Undead Burg where do I go from there?

I never did get the parry timing down. I wouldn't let it worry you it isn't needed to finish the game. As for the dragon, is it blocking you with fire attacks? If so you can bait it to land with an arrow hit then just run between it's legs and on into the next area.

redlegs87

I never did get the parry timing down. I wouldn't let it worry you it isn't needed to finish the game. As for the dragon, is it blocking you with fire attacks? If so you can bait it to land with an arrow hit then just run between it's legs and on into the next area.

Yeah it's blocking with a fire attack. Is baiting it and running past an advised strategy?

Got ya. I'll try and do that later today I need a break from the game. If I keep pressing it'll make me want to just not come back to it at all.

You can also totally bypass it by going 1 level down inside the viaduct if you cant make the run. You just miss out on something useful/important.

Unai

After 200 hours of playtime (Dark Souls 1 only), there's still one thing I don't understand about the lore. The undead are taken to the Undead Asylum to be locked away until the end of the world. This probably means that once someone who was branded with the darksign dies he becomes an undead and the living take them there. Is that right?

But what about all the undead in Lordran? Some of them might be others who also made the pilgrimage to fulfill the fate of the undead. Are the rest of them just people who once lived there or something?

I have a crossbow but I can't seem to target the dragon. Also I am just stuck I can't seem to get past the boar and boatload of hollows at the beginning of Undead Parish.
I would forget the dragon for now in terms of killing it, it would take a while to shoot at it and melee would probably get you killed. If you can lure it down and run by it to open the gate, that's very useful though.

The boar you can just run past down the underground path on the right, or get inventive - you can backstab it, you can drop on it (like the asylum demon and taurus demon), you can lure it in to the fires around that area and it will kill itself. You can use the alluring skulls you find in the area to do this. That's kind of how the game rolls, pay attention to environmental clues to help you.

Just take on the hollows one at a time, don't run ahead and have a load of enemies chasing you. You're so close to some very useful stuff just a little past the boar! :)

Gaaraz

A little bit stuck on the first level... I get to the part with two dragons out on a hill, which I avoid, but the only other place I can go is across a bridge where a dragon attacks me anyway :( Also there seems to be a real lack of save points, meaning any progress I've made has been lost (had to turn it off to go to bed) and I'll need to start the level yet again. Urgh.

Mistel

Banned
A little bit stuck on the first level... I get to the part with two dragons out on a hill, which I avoid, but the only other place I can go is across a bridge where a dragon attacks me anyway :( Also there seems to be a real lack of save points, meaning any progress I've made has been lost (had to turn it off to go to bed) and I'll need to start the level yet again. Urgh.
That's not the first level that's the Valley of the Drakes whilst you can go that way I'd advise you go other ways from Firelink Shrine instead of that way. There's bonfires but Valley of the Drakes doesn't have one if you go other ways you'll find areas more akin to your current abilities.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh boy you picked the master key

Unai

One great thing about Dark Souls is that every item you get, every door you open, boss or special enemy you kill, lever you pull, etc, persiste even when you die, so you rarely loose real progress. Worst case scenario you'll have to kill everyone in your way again.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
HI guys! I really had wanted to color this a while back, but never got around to it.

Thankfully I had 40 minutes to kill while waiting for FF XIV for download :D

inktober_15_day_05_color.jpg

Gaaraz

That's not the first level that's the Valley of the Drakes whilst you can go that way I'd advise you go other ways from Firelink Shrine instead of that way. There's bonfires but Valley of the Drakes doesn't have one if you go other ways you'll find areas more akin to your current abilities.
Thank you! I'll try to explore a little more now and go another way.

Oh boy you picked the master key
Master key? :)

One great thing about Dark Souls is that every item you get, every door you open, boss or special enemy you kill, lever you pull, etc, persiste even when you die, so you rarely loose real progress. Worst case scenario you'll have to kill everyone in your way again.
Thank you! I am accumulating items then at least (and experience too?) - though I don't think I've killed any special boss or done anything meaningful yet (so I'm basically still at the very start)

Also, magic seems to be way OP but also less fun. I'm a royal so conflicted about whether to use magic.

Gaaraz

Just died 6 times in a row before even making it to the top of the stairs at the top. Maybe I'll stick to magic after all...

(edit) even with magic, a guy on the bridge with a lance is destroying me... This must be the hundredth time I've played through the same bit at the start of the game now... I just want a save point :(

Top Bottom