• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Mistel

Banned
(edit) even with magic, a guy on the bridge with a lance is destroying me... This must be the hundredth time I've played through the same bit at the start of the game now... I just want a save point :(
The game doesn't have save points it only has bonfires. How did you get out of the asylum if you can't kill an undead soldier with a spear?

redlegs87

I would forget the dragon for now in terms of killing it, it would take a while to shoot at it and melee would probably get you killed. If you can lure it down and run by it to open the gate, that's very useful though.

The boar you can just run past down the underground path on the right, or get inventive - you can backstab it, you can drop on it (like the asylum demon and taurus demon), you can lure it in to the fires around that area and it will kill itself. You can use the alluring skulls you find in the area to do this. That's kind of how the game rolls, pay attention to environmental clues to help you.

Just take on the hollows one at a time, don't run ahead and have a load of enemies chasing you. You're so close to some very useful stuff just a little past the boar! :)

I finally killed the boar but in the process used up all my healing items. Will reattempt it again later but I feel hopeful for once.

Gaaraz

The game doesn't have save points it only has bonfires. How did you get out of the asylum if you can't kill an undead soldier with a spear?
Thanks, I don't think I've found a bonfire yet :(

And I have no idea. I finally managed to kill him, but there was nothing there but a locked door anyway.

I then managed to make it past the dragon area, rescued a guy, and made it to what I believe to be the end of the level... Then a ghost ran towards me, I panicked thinking it was an enemy, and rolled off the steps and to my death :(

I've been playing for hours now and have achieved nothing other than getting a useless bronze telescope.

Gaaraz

I was wrong! The gate I opened is the one right at the very start, and there's now a huge spear planted in the ground. Woo!

I've lost my 6,000 souls though :/

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Thank you! I'll try to explore a little more now and go another way.

Master key? :)

Thank you! I am accumulating items then at least (and experience too?) - though I don't think I've killed any special boss or done anything meaningful yet (so I'm basically still at the very start)

Also, magic seems to be way OP but also less fun. I'm a royal so conflicted about whether to use magic.

Thanks, I don't think I've found a bonfire yet :(

And I have no idea. I finally managed to kill him, but there was nothing there but a locked door anyway.

I then managed to make it past the dragon area, rescued a guy, and made it to what I believe to be the end of the level... Then a ghost ran towards me, I panicked thinking it was an enemy, and rolled off the steps and to my death :(

I've been playing for hours now and have achieved nothing other than getting a useless bronze telescope.

I was wrong! The gate I opened is the one right at the very start, and there's now a huge spear planted in the ground. Woo! o/

OH MY GOD

You are playing Demon's Souls, not Dark Souls. Hahahahahaha

Wrong OT, mate. :)

Unai

Master key? :)

Thank you! I am accumulating items then at least (and experience too?) - though I don't think I've killed any special boss or done anything meaningful yet (so I'm basically still at the very start)

Also, magic seems to be way OP but also less fun. I'm a royal so conflicted about whether to use magic.

When you are creating your character you are allowed to choose a gift. One of them is the master key. It allows you to open doors that weren't supposed to be opened until later when you get the real key to that door. The place with the "dragons" that are killing you is one of these places that are only accessible so earlier because of that gift.

Edit: Oh, wrong game? lol

I finally killed the boar but in the process used up all my healing items. Will reattempt it again later but I feel hopeful for once.
Great stuff. You'll be happy to know the boar doesn't respawn!

Just died 6 times in a row before even making it to the top of the stairs at the top. Maybe I'll stick to magic after all...

(edit) even with magic, a guy on the bridge with a lance is destroying me... This must be the hundredth time I've played through the same bit at the start of the game now... I just want a save point :(
I know this is the wrong thread, but just as an aside before you pop off to the Demon's Souls OT - This Red-eye Knight with the spear is the bane of ALL new players, everyone gets trashed by him on their first playthrough. He's guarding a door that you cannot open until near the very END of the game, so there's little point in taking him on now. By the time you get the key, he will die so easily, so don't worry about him now, go the other way :)

Gaaraz

Ah, that's good to know - thank you! I managed to get him with my magic but died multiple times since then. Glad that when I finally get the key he should be a lot easier to kill :)

Thanks again for all of your help!

why so low chance to get summoned? i like to help and gain humanity + souls :)

I think its just because the games been out so long there isn't as many people running about through the game and those that do would rather face the bosses alone

that being said though try the bonfire room before Ornstein and Smough, Still tons of people looking help with that fight, I've been trying to help all i can on PS3 the last few days and its been tons of fun collecting sunlight medals :D

2AdEPT

I think its just because the games been out so long there isn't as many people running about through the game and those that do would rather face the bosses alone

that being said though try the bonfire room before Ornstein and Smough, Still tons of people looking help with that fight, I've been trying to help all i can on PS3 the last few days and its been tons of fun collecting sunlight medals :D

yeah even when traffic was large I still hated waiting so when I didnt have any farmign to do or anything I would jsut drop my sign and do something else, read a book, watch tv or surf teh net and then BAM....I could see out of the corner of my eye the screen chagne and was whisked away to someone's world that need my help...what crack.

Unai

Yeah, my sorcerer is rocking a Moonlight Greatsword in New Game++. I love that weapon. I also had a Fire Great Scythe +10 to deal with enemies that were resistant to magic. An Enhanted Claymore is also a very good option. Almost as powerful as the Moonlight Greatsword and the moveset is god tier.

Update i'm still stuck on four kings in new game + on ps3 i am soul level 119 and am using a uchigatana + 15 with the great magic weapon spell aswell

My psn i.d. is awesomeness5821 just shoot me a message i'd appreciate it so much!

Update i'm still stuck on four kings in new game + on ps3 i am soul level 119 and am using a uchigatana + 15 with the great magic weapon spell aswell

My psn i.d. is awesomeness5821 just shoot me a message i'd appreciate it so much!

4 kings is easy if you tank it. Just put on havels or the stone armour set, run in using your best magic reduction shield for protection until you get in range then whale away. Heal while your stamina bar recharges. You can also add power within to further increase your damage output btw.

4 kings is easy if you tank it. Just put on havels or the stone armour set, run in using your best magic reduction shield for protection until you get in range then whale away. Heal while your stamina bar recharges. You can also add power within to further increase your damage output btw.

Ok ill try this tomorrow thanks and at least the boss is easy to get to!

I just backed up my save on ps3 to the cloud in case I screwed up, which I did.

I joined the forest Hunter covenant so Shiva and his bodyguard would appear. I want the ring the bodyguard has so I attack him but right before I'm about to take the last bit of his life bar, Shiva himself kills me with his stupid fucking oversized sword. So I would just download my ps plus save but I'm not allowed to do that for for 24 fucking hours. WTF. And Dark Souls is apparently one of the games that doesn't allow you to copy a save toa flash drive.

They're going to aggro when you attack them again any way, I wouldn't waste your souls getting absolved just to aggro them again.
I usually kill them in Blighttown since the fire demon bug things can do it for you if you bait their fire attack then stand behind Shiva, if they aggro the poison swamp will finish them off as you run away!

You can trade an item with Snuggly for the ring of fog btw, I think it's the skull lantern, so theoretically you can get the ring as early as opening the lift between the Parish and Firelink - with a trip to the catacombs!

You can talk to the sin guy on the bell tower to absole your sins and shiva wont be hostile anymore

They're going to aggro when you attack them again any way, I wouldn't waste your souls getting absolved just to aggro them again.
I usually kill them in Blighttown since the fire demon bug things can do it for you if you bait their fire attack then stand behind Shiva, if they aggro the poison swamp will finish them off as you run away!

You can trade an item with Snuggly for the ring of fog btw, I think it's the skull lantern, so theoretically you can get the ring as early as opening the lift between the Parish and Firelink - with a trip to the catacombs!
I actually had to get absolved from that guy already since I accidentally said no to the cat.LOL.

I'll try to kill them in Blighttown after I can download my save. But the ring of fog isn't the one that lets you do backflips is it? Will possessing that ring make them appear again?

Doh, you're right. It's the Dark Woodgrain Ring you're trying to get. I guess the RoF came to mind because the ninja dude is using it!

You get the ring of fog for 3 pvp kills in the covenant iirc.

If I kill the bodyguard but get killed myself, will the ring be there when I return?
Yes it should be. NPC drops will always be there even if you leave the area/die/reload etc.

The easiest way to kill them in the forest is to kick one of them off the edge (kicking doesn't aggro), reload and the item will be where they were stood before they died.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I remember how I got that ring in my first playthrough. I had joined the Forest covenant, which spawned the two NPCs. I quit the game there.

When I reloaded, the ninja NPC spawned above a cliff somehow (I'm not quite sure) but I got like 2000 souls right as I loaded and everyone was hostile. I must have died once at least from all the NPCs attacking me and I was all "WTF, what did I do?!". Then I found the Darkwood Grain ring as loot and saw that it allowed me to do ninja flips. And I remembered the souls I got and how the ninja wasn't there among the NPCs that called me traitors.

Good times. I wasn't even mad at the glitch (just funny that they blamed me for the NPC falling off lol) and having to pay a pardon, 'cause I had that sweet, sweet ring. Pre-patch it was so OP, haha.

Banzai

I'm trying to replay this but I can't get DSfix to work. I downloaded 2.4 and unpacked it in the DATA directory. I changed skipintro to 1 and overridelanguage to en-GB. It skips the intros just fine but the language is still german. I have the steam version.

I can't find any help for this.

TIL that the Crystal Shield has 100% block on poison, toxic and bleed.

I was looking at making a bleed build and came across this on the wikis. Still learning things about DS1 even now, still learning things. :)

Hyoukokun

Hey all. Getting back into Dark Souls, and I'm having trouble getting it to render at 4k with DSFix. I have the internal resolution set in the ini file to 4k, but the game itself won't output anything higher than 1920x1080. Any thoughts?

Regginator

i've installed dark souls on an older pc of mine, and after successfully using dsfix, i now seem to be having some kind of an issue i don't have on my primary pc. the grass and some other vegetation are very shimmery and distracting in motion. firelink shire is an eyesore. does anyone know what can cause this?

gpu: gtx 550 ti
cpu: i3 2130
ram: 4gb 1066mhz

as for the relevant settings in dsfix:

renderWidth 1440
renderHeight 900
aaQuality 1
aaType SMAA
ssaoStrength 3
ssaoScale 3
ssaoType VSSAO
FPSlimit 30

managed to best the four kings (ng+) joined the darkwraiths (that's all the covernants done) working on all weapons trophies before dark souls 3

Ended up replaying this game and remembered how so many heroic characters end up going to the worse place. Was wondering who could be considered the most heroic npc as I think it might artorias.

Regginator

i've installed dark souls on an older pc of mine, and after successfully using dsfix, i now seem to be having some kind of an issue i don't have on my primary pc. the grass and some other vegetation are very shimmery and distracting in motion. firelink shire is an eyesore. does anyone know what can cause this?

gpu: gtx 550 ti
cpu: i3 2130
ram: 4gb 1066mhz

as for the relevant settings in dsfix:

renderWidth 1440
renderHeight 900
aaQuality 1
aaType SMAA
ssaoStrength 3
ssaoScale 3
ssaoType VSSAO
FPSlimit 30

no one?

I bought the DLC yesterday. Artorias was such a fun boss fight. It reminded me of Gehrman and Maria. The kind of boss you don't mind dying to because just fighting them is really enjoyable.

On Manus now.

Super new player here. I'm a few bosses in and confused about kindling/humanity.

I don't want to be invaded so I'm staying undead. Should I be using the humanity then to kindle my bonfires? I haven't kindled any yet as I wasn't sure how precious humanity is.

Also, is there a particular order I should be following? After Taurus Demon (or whatever) I did the Bell Gargoyles, and I'm about to do the Capra Demon. I accidentally ended up in the Darkroot Basin but I'm guessing that is too high level for me... some crazy tentacled thing started shooting projectiles.

Thanks!

Super new player here. I'm a few bosses in and confused about kindling/humanity.

I don't want to be invaded so I'm staying undead. Should I be using the humanity then to kindle my bonfires? I haven't kindled any yet as I wasn't sure how precious humanity is.

Also, is there a particular order I should be following? After Taurus Demon (or whatever) I did the Bell Gargoyles, and I'm about to do the Capra Demon. I accidentally ended up in the Darkroot Basin but I'm guessing that is too high level for me... some crazy tentacled thing started shooting projectiles.

Thanks!

Yes, use humanity to kindle the bonfires if you are not going to be human, yet there are some special invasion by NPC if you are human, you need the Rite of Kindle to make the bonfires more powerful which was lost on certain area you may not be visiting if you are low geared for now.

Just explore, and find you way, this is an open interconnected world, you maybe exploring more the Undead Burg or be brave and explore the Darkroot basin

Yes, use humanity to kindle the bonfires if you are not going to be human, yet there are some special invasion by NPC if you are human, you need the Rite of Kindle to make the bonfires more powerful which was lost on certain area you may not be visiting if you are low geared for now.

Just explore, and find you way, this is an open interconnected world, you maybe exploring more the Undead Burg or be brave and explore the Darkroot basin

If you don't want to be invaded, right after kindling just kill yourself (don't forget your bloodstain!).

Thanks, I didn't think of going human just to kindle them and then dying to go back undead.

Should I be kindling all of my bonfires as I go? Like, the firelink shrine and the one with the blacksmith?

Thanks for the tips!

I'm just understanding the whole kindling thing now after I'm almost at the end of the game. LOL

And I never knew you could attack the chest monsters. Haha.

Thanks, I didn't think of going human just to kindle them and then dying to go back undead.

Should I be kindling all of my bonfires as I go? Like, the firelink shrine and the one with the blacksmith?

Thanks for the tips!

Mmmm if you can, but there are some importante bonfires than the rest like the firelink and the blacksmith, and the secret darkroot basin bonfire

Mmmm if you can, but there are some importante bonfires than the rest like the firelink and the blacksmith, and the secret darkroot basin bonfire

Gotcha. I'll upgrade the blacksmith one next. Thanks for the help.

I'm coming to DS after platinum'ing bloodborne. Feels both foreign and familiar. I have to say I love the estus flask mechanic about a million times more than finite blood vials.

I'm just understanding the whole kindling thing now after I'm almost at the end of the game. LOL

And I never knew you could attack the chest monsters. Haha.
You can also
use a Lloyds Talisman to put them to sleep allowing you to loot them without waking them up, or making them docile after they have woken up

Top Bottom