• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

fozzy

I got invaded for the first time last night by 2 pretty powerful guys at once. I nearly killed one whist his friend watched. But then the spectator back stabbed me.

I didn't know you could get invaded by more than one person.

I got invaded for the first time last night by 2 pretty powerful guys at once. I nearly killed one whist his friend watched. But then the spectator back stabbed me.

I didn't know you could get invaded by more than one person.

Is pretty rare these day, if you take too long to kill the first invader other may join. You can hide ans see how they kill each other tough

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Was that in the Forest? You can have multiple invaders there, but elsewhere, unless you are in the Gravelord covenant, double invaders are a glitch.

Aomber

The title definitely resonates with me. I just started Dark Souls 2 after having almost beaten the first Dark Souls and it just made me wanna go back to playing DS1.

The game is just unfair. It's not challenging in the same way DS1 is where you actually feel like you were responsible for your deaths - there are way too many moments even in the early game where you just feel like the game kills you with no way to prevent it. I know I'm not the only one who thinks this from extensive browsing online.

Hopefully DS3 is better

Regginator

Try another ssaoType and also try reducing ssaoStrength.

thanks, it seemed to be linked to the ssao strength.

as for others with similar issues: both high and medium have a lot of shimmering and blurry grass (at least on my pc), disabling it gives the grass its cleanness back. but since I want to have some sort of ao, setting it on low is a good compromise. very little to no shimmering, and some ao in return.

I'm around level 35 and have been using a +5 shortsword so far. I'm looking to find a nice intermediate weapon. I am pretty much just doing a strength build (first playthrough).

I don't really know what I'm doing but the Zweihander looks kinda cool. Good choice? I was hoping there'd be something like a 'better shortsword', as I like its speed, but looking on the wiki it's not obvious to me that there is one.

I'm around level 35 and have been using a +5 shortsword so far. I'm looking to find a nice intermediate weapon. I am pretty much just doing a strength build (first playthrough).

I don't really know what I'm doing but the Zweihander looks kinda cool. Good choice? I was hoping there'd be something like a 'better shortsword', as I like its speed, but looking on the wiki it's not obvious to me that there is one.

The 'better shortsword' is the longsword and the Zweihander is a great choice for your strength build. Keep an eye out for axes and clubs if you want different movesets or something faster.

Tarkus

Zwei is good. You can purchase another big sword at the end of Sen's Fortress or loot it a little later. This other big sword has an incredible moveset. It's a must-try for STR builds. Plus, it was used by a legendary warrior.

Quan

Okay, I just started my 4th run in preparation for Dark Souls III. Can you please suggest cool weapons to use, finally I'm parting ways with Claymore :( .

Balder side (have fun farming it) and gargoyle's halberd are cool weapons
Great scythe is OP too (found in the catacombs)

All are dex weapons I think (maybe the gargoyle's is a mix like C/C or D/D)

Estoc.
Parrying Dagger + Bandit Knife (no shield)
Large club (drops from Barbarians in Blighttown), one of the few bigger weapons I like, fun moveset.
No melee+no shield run (miracles, magic, pyro only)
Bow only run

Just beat Ornstein and Smough on NG+. I needed Ornstein's soul so I had to kill Smough first.

Man Ornstein is a bitch the fight in phase 2. I kept getting sucked onto his sword. It's much harder than fighting Smough in phase 2.

It's a harder fight first time, if you pick Ornstein every time you get to learn his moveset (obvious I know). I always (and still) have more trouble dodging Smough's charge attack because of how little I fight Super-Smough. Where as I'm happy dancing around Super-Ornstein all day.

It's a harder fight first time, if you pick Ornstein every time you get to learn his moveset (obvious I know). I always (and still) have more trouble dodging Smough's charge attack because of how little I fight Super-Smough. Where as I'm happy dancing around Super-Ornstein all day.
And it was ng+ too. That makes it harder no matter what.

Buraindo

Same here. Problem is, for me at least, not much incentive to fight him since his gear isn't particularly impressive.

I'm currently doing my first sorcerer run and it's definitely an interesting experience. For the first time in a while I feel out of my comfort zone and I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't try it sooner, especially considering how many times I've gone through the game.

Sorcerer somewhat suffer early since the spells are limited, more if you dont go to
new londo
to get more spells and dont rely on melee weapons.

I'm stuck on The Four Kings on ng+. Is there any way to keep them all from attacking me simultaneously, other then defeating them quickly?
Once I get the bar down to half all four come at me.

I'm stuck on The Four Kings on ng+. Is there any way to keep them all from attacking me simultaneously, other then defeating them quickly?
Once I get the bar down to half all four come at me.

They are weak to lightning and fire as far as I remember, since their nature wont let you hit them several times a good high damage burst weapon is super effective on that fight

They are weak to lightning and fire as far as I remember, since their nature wont let you hit them several times a good high damage burst weapon is super effective on that fight
I made A lightning washing pole thinking that the range would help but it didn't. LOL. It doesn't help that I don't have the strength to wield it one handed.

My main weapon is the Iiado+15. I have dex at 40.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Range doesn't really help vs 4 Kings, you are actually safer if you stick close to them for the most part as a lot of their attacks will whiff or not hit you with the full brunt of their strength. Use a green blossom for stamina regen (mixed with the grass crest shield on your back) and mash away, dodging and/or healing every now and then. It's always a DPS race in this fight.

Range doesn't really help vs 4 Kings, you are actually safer if you stick close to them for the most part as a lot of their attacks will whiff or not hit you with the full brunt of their strength. Use a green blossom for stamina regen (mixed with the grass crest shield on your back) and mash away, dodging and/or healing every now and then. It's always a DPS race in this fight.

I wouldn't bother dodging. I'd go mask of the child for stamina, crest shield to block any magic attack while running into range and havels or the stone set to tank the fight. Also use power within on landing down there plus charcoal pine etc for even more damage. With all that extra damage the kings go down faster than they spawn and typically you only need to kill 3 of them. Just heal whenever stamina is recharging and while waiting for kings to spawn.

If you can dodge 4 Kings the fight is a cakewalk forever. For the longest time I tanked them with stone armour but once I learned to dodge their attacks it was hugely satisfying to go in there with RTSR and melt them.

Their moves are pretty limited, they have what, 3 melee attacks - horizontal slash (with possible follow up), diagonal slash (also with possible follow up) and stab, all are a simple roll-dodge. All you have to watch out for is positioning yourself face to face so you don't roll too far as the horizontal slash can hit you at the end of it's arch if you roll to far that way. The magic and grab you just roll back out of range.

Whether tanking or dodging, if you want an easy fight even in NG+ use Power within, great combustion and black flame. With Dusk crown + bellowing ring of course.

Thanks for the tips guys. I should probably know how miracles, pyromancies, and sorceries work but I don't. I've never try to use any. Not really that I've been against using them I just haven't build that type of character. I'm a pure melee type player I guess. I also have to have a low equipment weight to fast dodge.

I can dodge the Four Kings attacks when I'm fighting one them but this time I'm having the issue of all of them attacking me at once.

I'll definitely try those tactics though if I can.

You have to learn how to dodge and hit, dodge and evade, and be cautios of their AOE , their melee is huge but have low hitboxes. Kill them fast is the only option in this fight unless you became a god of dodging and kill them nake with a giant cub

Power Within is worth it for boss fights even if you are melee only. Pyromancy is the easiest of all magic types to get into since there almost no stat investment at all, except attunement to actually equip the spells. One attunement slot for Power Within is well worth the couple of levels you might have to invest in attunement.

Beat The Four Kings on the first attempt after I started the game tonight. Thanks for all the tips. I used the mask and shield that gives you a slight increase in stamina regen speed. I went two handed and stuck to their sides .

Is there a recommended order for trying to get the lord souls? I think my friend mentioned something but I can't remember.

I've gotten to the crystal cave and I've done most of new londo, but I haven't tried the bosses. I haven't been to the catacombs or demon ruins at all yet. Thanks.

I'd do four kings first :
- Very large ember in new londo ruins (+15 weapons)
- Darkwraiths drop titanite chunks and slabs
- Boss is pretty easy (Sif and 4kings are pretty basic and not too cheap)

Nito and bed of chaos last because fuck tomb of giants and fuck bed of chaos basically

Dukes first if you are using magic. Otherwise I think Shuggananas puts the best case for Four Kings first with that areas important loot.

If you are doing all the NPC side-quests, I think Lost Izalith after Dukes for
Seiglende
- of course you don't have to kill the bosses just to explore/loot the areas, it doesn't make any different what order the bosses are done in. Demon Ruins and Catacombs are middle-tier areas leading to further areas, so you might find them a bit easy post-Anor Londo.

Okay need some advice here, first time Dark Souls player. I beat the Chaos Queen and joined the Chaos Covenant. So my question is where do I go now? I am at the bonfire where the Chaos Queen's sister is located so do I have to backtrack all the way through Blighttown again or is there a shortcut? And do I go right to that gate that opened in the cutscene or go somewhere else first as my next objective?

Okay need some advice here, first time Dark Souls player. I beat the Chaos Queen and joined the Chaos Covenant. So my question is where do I go now? I am at the bonfire where the Chaos Queen's sister is located so do I have to backtrack all the way through Blighttown again or is there a shortcut? And do I go right to that gate that opened in the cutscene or go somewhere else first as my next objective?

There is a shortcut involving a huge contraption to the right of swamp bonfire in Blighttown

Mistel

Banned
There's a shortcut right next to you at that bonfire and you do go to the gate.

On my first play through I lost all my souls I got from Quelaag because I kept going and died to the Ceaseless discharge.

LOL. I should have just gone back right away since they show Sen's Fortress opening. I must not have been paying attention but when I got to the fortress I remembered the cutscene.haha.

What does that entail? (Assuming your serious)
this dude did it, well kinda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfltf41i7iM
On my first play through I lost all my souls I got from Quelaag because I kept going and died to the Ceaseless discharge.

LOL. I should have just gone back right away since they show Sen's Fortress opening. I must not have been paying attention but when I got to the fortress I remembered the cutscene.haha.
I like doing discharge right after quelaag, gives a ton of souls and gives access to large flame ember and chaos flame ember
and he's impossible to lose I think if you use the one strat

Unai

I'm feeling like playing this game againg before Dark Souls 3 releases.

What do you guys think about this build? I've decided to stay at level 50 because of PvP at Anor Londo, it seems like a level that a lot of people stay. I will only beat NG. The composite bow is there to use in PvE and the hornet ring in PvP, changing them acording to the situation. I could have slightly more poise changing my equipment a bit, but the "fashion" would suck. The 20 in DEX is there because I want to use the ricard's rapier + pine resin from time to time. I will also use the Great Scythe in some situations/bosses in PvE.

I don't know if it would be better to decrease my vitality, endurance and maybe DEX (to 14) so I could use magic buffs.

darksouls2hpq0.png

Just beat Gwyn on NG+. Had a lot of trouble this time. The first time I think I beat him on the third try. His tracking thrust kept getting me. I went two handed with the Iaido trying to get a hit in every chance I could, trying to bait his slower two handed combo, and getting two strikes in when he would go for the grab or kick.

So I kinda want to make a sorcery or pyromancy run through DS, never seriously used either, which would you recommend ?
I'm pretty comfortable with the game already

So I kinda want to make a sorcery or pyromancy run through DS, never seriously used either, which would you recommend ?
I'm pretty comfortable with the game already

Both have damage that scale off the same ring and both can use the crown of dusk so there is no reason not to do both at the same time. Other than the huge soul investment in fully upgrading a flame and buying all the spells that is.

I'd use pyro at low level as you can max it out without even leveling up and swap to magic later when you can use stuff like the soul spears and dark bead which needs some leveling.

Both have damage that scale off the same ring and both can use the crown of dusk so there is no reason not to do both at the same time. Other than the huge soul investment in fully upgrading a flame and buying all the spells that is.

I'd use pyro at low level as you can max it out without even leveling up and swap to magic later when you can use stuff like the soul spears and dark bead which needs some leveling.

I went ahead and tried pure sorcery anyway, was pretty easy and just beat quelaag, got 5 slots and 4 filled with offensive spells so I don't have uses issues
So far it's pretty easy, only issue being enemies that rush your face but for those I just slap them with my catalyst (got the one in blighttown)

Once I finish this I'll probably do DS2 as sorc, should probably be even easier lol

Top Bottom