• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

So I'm right at the end of the game for the first time. I accidentally walked into the final boss and died. Luckily so, as I didn't realize it would spit you out into NG+ after you beat it.

I'm not sure what to do now. I haven't done any of the DLC stuff but I might want to at some point. If I do, I'd rather do it in NG instead of NG+.

But I also really really want to finish the game. Is there a way to finish it and keep my save in NG? Or is it a one-way ticket?

Unai

So I'm right at the end of the game for the first time. I accidentally walked into the final boss and died. Luckily so, as I didn't realize it would spit you out into NG+ after you beat it.

I'm not sure what to do now. I haven't done any of the DLC stuff but I might want to at some point. If I do, I'd rather do it in NG instead of NG+.

But I also really really want to finish the game. Is there a way to finish it and keep my save in NG? Or is it a one-way ticket?

Well, if you are playing the PC version you can always manually backup your save file and restore it later on. Maybe it's possible on the consoles as well, but I don't really know.

Finished my sorc playthrough, well, "finished", I tend to stop playing when I only have nito to beat left, tomb of giants is just godawful
sick.gif

Run wasn't too hard besides anor londo and seath for which I had to adapt a bit since he takes nothing from magic almost, so I got a few pyromancies for him.
In general sorceries were fun but super frustrating when you're against several enemies or enemies that are really fast or with long range (hello demon firesage)

Man, what an awesome game. I had so many mind-blown moments, like ascending to Anor Londo for the first time, or opening that gate in
New Londo
that connected to
Valley of the Drakes
. In fact lots of the shortcuts were kind of awesome.

Ash Lake
was super pretty. Seeing all those
Taurus Demons in the ruins
was pretty intense. Oh and wandering into the Basin at a lowish level and seeing the freaking
hydra

I love how many different ways you can play the game. I really wanted to do the shield and sword knight getup, so I did that, with the elite knight set. Ended up using the black iron greatshield and the man-serprent greatsword. But there are so many other ways to approach it -- I totally get now the complaints people had about bloodborne and build variety. I might go super ninja rolling for the next playthrough, or maybe focus on magic.... also a ridiculous number of fashion options. I bet you can do some pretty ridiculous cosplay.

The only thing I kind of wanted more of was ending cinematics. But in any case, what a magnificent game. So so so satisfying.

edit: the interconnectedness of the world is probably my number one takeaway from this game. That and backstabs. Get wrecked black knights.

wiibomb

Hi there everyone! Recently I started Dark Souls before DS3 and after I platinumed Bloodborne. This is my fist time with Dark Souls.

I've been struck on a point where I don't know if I should be where I am.

After I defeated the Taurus Demon, I stumbled upon a dragon that didn't let me go further because it spitted fire, so I went in a path beneath the dragon, advanced then to a church and finally entered the Darkroot Garden.

In there I met the moonlight butterfly, but both the enemies there and the boss have been hugely difficult and I can barely survive to reach the moonlight butterfly to just die in 2 hits to it.

I'm wondering if I somehow missed a path or if I'm completely lost or if this is supposed to be the way it is (it seeems abnormaly difficult). Could someone guide me? Thanks.

Mistel

Banned
Hi there everyone! Recently I started Dark Souls before DS3 and after I platinumed Bloodborne. This is my fist time with Dark Souls.

After I defeated the Taurus Demon, I stumbled upon a dragon that didn't let me go further because it spitted fire, so I went in a path beneath the dragon, advanced then to a church and finally entered the Darkroot Garden.

In there I met the moonlight butterfly, but both the enemies there and the boss have been hugely difficult and I can barely survive to reach the moonlight butterfly to just die in 2 hits to it.

I'm wondering if I somehow missed a path or if I'm completely lost or if this is supposed to be the way it is (it seeems abnormaly difficult). Could someone guide me? Thanks.
You have sort of missed a path to lower undead burg and other areas but you can do dark root at that point.

wiibomb

I backtracked a little and I remembered I totally avoided going up the church because there is a huge black knight there...

I'm gonna try defeating it, I feel sick now thinking about going again to the darkroot garden.

I backtracked a little and I remembered I totally avoided going up the church because there is a huge black knight there...

I'm gonna try defeating it, I feel sick now thinking about going again to the darkroot garden.
You don't have to fight a black knight to go up the church, 99 percent sure he's optional and out of the way.

Go to the top of the church. Then check to see if there is a key you haven't used yet too.

Mistel

Banned
You don't have to fight a black knight to go up the church, 99 percent sure he's optional and out of the way.
They're talking about the Berenike knight inside the church not the Black Knight probably.

You can either run past the Berenike knight or kite it outside to give you a larger space where it's an easier fight.

wiibomb

They're talking about the Berenike knight inside the church not the Black Knight probably.

You can either run past the Berenike knight or kite it outside to give you a larger space where it's an easier fight.

yes! that's it, the Berenike Knight, the one before using the church stairs.

after I upgraded a little my weapon it seems a lot more manageable, although the knight with magic just killed me lol

Go to the top of the church. Then check to see if there is a key you haven't used yet too.

will do, thanks, this game is a lot more confusing regarding paths than bloodborne, need to step up my game :p

Unai

after I upgraded a little my weapon it seems a lot more manageable, although the knight with magic just killed me lol

There is an easy way to kill the Channeler (knight with magic).
If you have a bow, shoot him when you are downstairs near the door that outs to the blacksmith / near where the Berenike Knight was. The Channeler will not agro. Also he doesn't respawn so you just need to that once.

wiibomb

There is an easy way to kill the Channeler (knight with magic).
If you have a bow, shoot him when you are downstairs near the door that outs to the blacksmith / near where the Berenike Knight was. The Channeler will not agro. Also he doesn't respawn so you just need to that once.

Just killed the gargoiles, I just agroed all the lesser enemied to the first floor and killed them there, then the knight was not as threatening.

In some floors above there was a man who wanted me to free him, but a message in the area said he was a liar, so I didn't, what does he do?

I'm in
new londo
now and well, the
ghosts
are fucking me haha

Tarkus

Just killed the gargoiles, I just agroed all the lesser enemied to the first floor and killed them there, then the knight was not as threatening.

In some floors above there was a man who wanted me to free him, but a message in the area said he was a liar, so I didn't, what does he do?

I'm in
new londo
now and well, the
ghosts
are fucking me haha
Messages are about 30% true or helpful. I won't tell you about that one.

Come back to New Londo Ruins later. You need a status effect or item to fight the ghosts. Try to go downward in the world.

wiibomb

Messages are about 30% true or helpful. I won't tell you about that one.

Come back to New Londo Ruins later. You need a status effect or item to fight the ghosts. Try to go downward in the world.

I don't know if I should free him ha... I think I will not..

and as I said before, this game has me way too confused about the places I should visit.. I found out there is a place beneath undead Burg/parish I never visited, I think it was because of the Dark Knight blocking the way, I'll give it a go tomorrow. I need to rest from all this...

wiibomb

gonna free him... aaand then
kill him

I suppose there is no hint of him or other NPCs behavior before I interact with them, right?

I wouldn't have any way of knowing he would
kill someone

Good to note if you don't free him
he kills the firekeeper anyway

So yeah free him and then kill him or don't

He is supposed to do that, thats like the point the sidequest,
if you kill him before the sidequest end you can restore the firekeeper voice and a full upgrade in the firelink shrine for free

gonna free him... aaand then
kill him

I suppose there is no hint of him or other NPCs behavior before I interact with them, right?

I wouldn't have any way of knowing he would
kill someone

Talk to him several times, he made a suggestion of what he is gonna do. Everytime you discover new areas or kill some bosses, talk to the NPCs their dialogue may change and tells you what they are gonna do next.

There's no point to killing him, you don't gain anything - but you do miss out on two armour sets, one being one of the best light sets in the game. I've never been a fan of the FAP ring though, I wouldn't give up a ring slot for a sliver of HP/End. But a lot of people seem to have a hard on for getting the ring asap, so...

There's no point to killing him, you don't gain anything - but you do miss out on two armour sets, one being one of the best light sets in the game. I've never been a fan of the FAP ring though, I wouldn't give up a ring slot for a sliver of HP/End. But a lot of people seem to have a hard on for getting the ring asap, so...
20% weight is way worth it, helps a lot getting fast roll
Dingy sucks, use gold hemmed

Still wouldn't give up a ring slot. I'm almost exclusively a light weapon/armour type of guy though. Give me a rapier and a slip of cloth and I'm good to go. No Chaos Zwei Havel here!

I'm not sure if I've ever acquired his attire and gear. Is it on the second floor of the room where you fight Ornstein and Smough? Because I thought I had picked that up.

I like to wait to use the FAP ring until after I hit up Blighttown, so I can use the iron and covetous gold serpent rings at the same time for some shard grinding. Poor worms have suffered a thousand deaths at my hands.

wiibomb

Talk to him several times, he made a suggestion of what he is gonna do. Everytime you discover new areas or kill some bosses, talk to the NPCs their dialogue may change and tells you what they are gonna do next.

thanks, it makes a lot of sense now that you mention it. In bloodborne was similar yet I don't remember it was that important, here it is way much more important, the undead in the firelink place has been telling me all kind of things everytime I enter a new place

thanks, it makes a lot of sense now that you mention it. In bloodborne was similar yet I don't remember it was that important, here it is way much more important, the undead in the firelink place has been telling me all kind of things everytime I enter a new place

Yep, keep an eye on them because they move to other areas too

NPCs are worthless in BB outside some random items you may never use.

BTW, now that I'm here I should ask, where should I be learning a spell? I have about 10 hours and I still don't have one.. did I miss them?

Basic sorceries spells vendor is located on New Londo area,
Go to the firelink shrine, go down the stairs and use the elevator to reach new londo, then go to the right side and look for semi hidden stairs to reach the vendor.
Basic Miracle vendor is located right in the firelink shrine but I think you need to join the way of white covenant to properly buy things from him.
Basic pyromancy vendor is located in the Undead Burg kitchen area
trapped in a barrel

wiibomb

BTW, now that I'm here I should ask, where should I be learning a spell? I have about 10 hours and I still don't have one.. did I miss them?

Have you been down the elevator under Firelink Shrine yet?

And you should also have picked up a key in the Parish the description of which should tell you where to use it, somewhere you will have already passed (and this relates to the same question).

wiibomb

Have you been down the elevator under Firelink Shrine yet?

And you should also have picked up a key in the Parish the description of which should tell you where to use it, somewhere you will have already passed (and this relates to the same question).

the
new londo ruins
you mean? yeah I went down there, but I can't fight the ghosts right now, I'll try to come back later with some transient curse items or something else to fight back.

I think I got a key from the
gargoyles fight
or near that moment, I just remember that.

I'll try to follow that.

the
new londo ruins
you mean? yeah I went down there, but I can't fight the ghosts right now, I'll try to come back later with some transient curse items or something else to fight back.

I think I got a key from the
gargoyles fight
or near that moment, I just remember that.

I'll try to follow that.
Right at the start of New Londo, before you even get to the ghosts, explore a little more.

I'm not sure if I've ever acquired his attire and gear. Is it on the second floor of the room where you fight Ornstein and Smough? Because I thought I had picked that up.
Yeah that's his set. It won't be there if you kill him early on and neither will Anastacia's be available either.

Right at the start of New Londo, before you even get to the ghosts, explore a little more.

Yeah that's his set. It won't be there if you kill him early on and neither will Anastacia's be available either.
Maybe I do have them then. I just stick with the tattered set since it's light and looks cool.

wiibomb

and.. I also lost the 2 transient curse I got at the beginning (it was my fault for dying falling in the water, I know)

also... the guy in the cell escaped and I didn't free him, is him the same guy in front of
the fire keeper
? he's pretty pissed and doesn't want to talk to me

and.. I also lost the 2 transient curse I got at the beginning (it was my fault for dying falling in the water, I know)

also... the guy in the cell escaped and I didn't free him, is him the same guy in front of
the fire keeper
? he's pretty pissed and doesn't want to talk to me
It's the same guy. Did you use the transient curses then die is that what you mean? They're easy to come by the ghosts themselves drop them with a pretty high drop chance and they're available to buy pretty early on too, you'll see. :)

Which set is that? Or are you referring to the tattered set?
The same, the DIngy Set. The top is a poncho, I like to mix and match with it, good resistances on that set.

wiibomb

It's the same guy. Did you use the transient curses then die is that what you mean? They're easy to come by the ghosts themselves drop them with a pretty high drop chance and they're available to buy pretty early on too, you'll see. :)

yeah, I just saw a
undead woman
who is selling them for
4000 souls (!!!)
in
The Depths
shortcut, so I'll save some more and try to get one from her at least, may be then I could farm some ghosts for more.

yeah, I just saw a
undead woman
who is selling them for
4000 souls (!!!)
in
The Depths
shortcut, so I'll save some more and try to get one from her at least, may be then I could farm some ghosts for more.

Funny thing, I thought it was a male merchant

Oh jeez, been doing my first SL1 run while waiting for DkS3, but man am I just STUCK on (Artorias of the Abyss DLC boss)
Manus
forEVER. I needed to vent here.
I could maybe do it if he would just not use
dark magic
for once. Tried using RTSR + Crown of the Dark Sun + Bellowing Dragon Ring + Power Within for 3 hours straight now.
The few times I could actually manage to hit him with all 4 Great Fireballs, I could have hit him with a few strong attacks to finish him off. However he uses one of his BS
dark magic
attacks which I can't dodge or deflect with
the pendant

This is the most frustrated I have been playing a souls game, out of the total 900 hours I have in both 1 and 2. Worse than soloing (Dark Souls 2 Old Iron King DLC Boss)
Fume Knight
on NG++ in DkS2.

Buraindo

Apparently the latest Steam update seems to cause some weird graphical issues with Dark Souls PTDE. If you notice anything weird with your game's brightness and such disable the overlay and restart the game. Just a heads up.

Oh jeez, been doing my first SL1 run while waiting for DkS3, but man am I just STUCK on (Artorias of the Abyss DLC boss)
Manus
forEVER. I needed to vent here.
I could maybe do it if he would just not use
dark magic
for once. Tried using RTSR + Crown of the Dark Sun + Bellowing Dragon Ring + Power Within for 3 hours straight now.
The few times I could actually manage to hit him with all 4 Great Fireballs, I could have hit him with a few strong attacks to finish him off. However he uses one of his BS
dark magic
attacks which I can't dodge or deflect with
the pendant

This is the most frustrated I have been playing a souls game, out of the total 900 hours I have in both 1 and 2. Worse than soloing (Dark Souls 2 Old Iron King DLC Boss)
Fume Knight
on NG++ in DkS2.
Can't blame anybody but yourself for trying this challenge though :p

wiibomb

so, after a very successful night yesterday, I think I found my path on DkS...

I was having a real bad time in that
darkroot garden
, yesterday I defeated the
Gaping Dragon
, such an amazing design.. going to the
lower undead burgs - the depths
was exactly the place I needed to go.

I found sorcery and pyromancy too, just some questions, which do you consider to be better? an also, do they scale? I don't think I saw any scaling in the pyromancy

Top Bottom