• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Can't blame anybody but yourself for trying this challenge though :p

That is very correct. I didn't expect it to be a cakewalk (though it was until O&S), but I can't believe how hard
Manus
turned out to be for this challenge. It's insane.

I also just couldn't believe how much more frustrating it is than when I was learning to play for the first time...

I found sorcery and pyromancy too, just some questions, which do you consider to be better? an also, do they scale? I don't think I saw any scaling in the pyromancy
Pyromancy increases in power by upgrading the pyro flame itself rather than stats (like miracles, sorcery). So pyro can be used by any character with the only stat investment needed for attunement slots really, as many or few as you want.

One isn't really better than the other, they all have their uses. If you're going to use sorcery, you have to go all out and invest stat points in intelligence, where as pyromancy is a nice way to get some spells on any character. There are some nice intelligence scaling weapons too, so it's not all about spells, you can be a spell-sword even as a sorcerer.

Pyromancy increases in power by upgrading the pyro flame itself rather than stats (like miracles, sorcery). So pyro can be used by any character with the only stat investment needed for attunement slots really, as many or few as you want.

One isn't really better than the other, they all have their uses. If you're going to use sorcery, you have to go all out and invest stat points in intelligence, where as pyromancy is a nice way to get some spells on any character. There are some nice intelligence scaling weapons too, so it's not all about spells, you can be a spell-sword even as a sorcerer.
Upgrading costs a ton though, ie levels :p
I prefer sorceries, faster casting and better range/aiming

My first play-through was a knight with shield and sword. Stuck to mid-rolling generally, with Havel's and the elite knight set. I didn't even really learn about the pyromancy stuff until the end of the game. I've never used miracles.

Can't decide what I want to do next:
- fast rolling dex build, maybe just a light shield
- sorcerer build. I haven't tried this at all.

After using a greatshield in the last run I want to do something very different... hmmmmm.

Tarkus

so, after a very successful night yesterday, I think I found my path on DkS...

I was having a real bad time in that
darkroot garden
, yesterday I defeated the
Gaping Dragon
, such an amazing design.. going to the
lower undead burgs - the depths
was exactly the place I needed to go.
The Crestfallen Warrior tells you exactly what to do in order to ring the bells. The NPC dialog is very important for learning where to go, what to do, and the story of this game.

Unai

The Crestfallen Warrior tells you exactly what to do in order to ring the bells. The NPC dialog is very important for learning where to go, what to do, and the story of this game.

To be fair, it's very easy to think that one of the bells is in New Londo Ruins when we talk to that NPC.

Tarkus

To be fair, it's very easy to think that one of the bells is in New Londo Ruins when we talk to that NPC.
Crestfallen Warrior said:
Well, what do we have here? You must be a new arrival.
Let me guess. Fate of the Undead, right? Well, you're not the first.
But there's no salvation here. You'd have done better to rot in the Undead Asylum… But, too late now.
Well, since you're here… Let me help you out.
There are actually two Bells of Awakening.
One's up above, in the Undead Church. The other is far, far below, in the ruins at the base of Blighttown.
Ring them both, and something happens… Brilliant, right?
Not much to go on, but I have a feeling that won't stop you.
So, off you go. It is why you came, isn't it? To this accursed land of the Undead?
Hah hah hah hah…

Hm? What, you want to hear more?
Oh, that's all we need. Another inquisitive soul.
Well, listen carefully, then…
One of the bells is up above in the Undead Church, but the lift is broken.
You'll have to climb the stairs up the ruins, and access the Undead Burg through the waterway.
The other bell is back down below the Undead Burg,
within the plague-infested Blighttown.
But I'd die again before I step foot in that cesspool!
Hah hah hah hah…
:p

Unai

? I know what he says. My post still stands.

Edit: Let me elaborate more. When you start the game, you have no idea where Blighttown is. New London Ruins are, well, ruins, so you might think they are "the base of Blighttown" and also you just got an elevator that went "far below". What if Blighttown is an area there? You are starting the game, so you don't really know how the maps work.

wiibomb

to be honest, yeah, it's quite confusing in that aspect, where is blighttown?? oh! since he said it was "down" let's go down these stairs..

oh no wait.... new londo ghosts fucked you up. ha ha ha

I didn't even remembered he said blighttown specifically, now that I'm entering the place I now that I should be there, thanks :D

wiibomb

thanks, since leveling scales in soul requirement, I'll be using pyromancy to save those points for some strength stats.

I'll be using more the attunement stat, though, didn't for what it was used before now.

Mistel

Banned
Let me elaborate more. When you start the game, you have no idea where Blighttown is. New London Ruins are, well, ruins, so you might think they are "the base of Blighttown" and also you just got an elevator that went "far below". What if Blighttown is an area there? You are starting the game, so you don't really know how the maps work.
You're told it's below Undead burg...

Unai

You're told it's below Undead burg...

Indeed. I was talking about when you start the game so you might also not know where the Undead Burg is, though. Also, I didn't say it was impossible to know where to go, just that it's easy to go to the wrong place. Even more because you can't re read what he says and scrutinize it.

Mistel

Banned
Indeed. I was talking about when you start the game so you might also not know where the Undead Burg is, though. Also, I didn't say it was impossible to know where to go, just that it's easy to go to the wrong place. Even more because you can't re read what he says and scrutinize it.
Again it tells you, you're told Undead burg is up the stairs I understand that you can't go back over it but it's rather explicit compared some of the other instructions you get.

Even if you don't talk at length to Crestbro, or forget what he says you'll find where to go sooner or later, I guess you could get stuck in TotG and ragequit from having to make it back out, but seems unlikely. wiibomb already said he's defeated Gaping Dragon, so......

thanks, since leveling scales in soul requirement, I'll be using pyromancy to save those points for some strength stats.

I'll be using more the attunement stat, though, didn't for what it was used before now.

Pyro have more diversity early while sorceries needs you to start the second half of the game or reach the fun house to unlock more sorceries. You gotta loke casting fireballs and poison without any remorse

Buraindo

Finished my Sorcerer playthrough, kind of ridiculous how much damage some spells can deal with the Bellowing Dragon Crest Ring and the Dusk Crown, Dark Hail especially. Had some trouble dealing with
Manus
and
Seath's
tail cut, but every other boss died with just a couple of casts.
I still like melee best though, fights feel a lot more engaging that way but it was definitely an interesting and worthwhile experience.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh jeez, been doing my first SL1 run while waiting for DkS3, but man am I just STUCK on (Artorias of the Abyss DLC boss)
Manus
forEVER. I needed to vent here.
I could maybe do it if he would just not use for once. Tried using RTSR + Crown of the Dark Sun + Bellowing Dragon Ring + Power Within for 3 hours straight now.
The few times I could actually manage to hit him with all 4 Great Fireballs, I could have hit him with a few strong attacks to finish him off. However he uses one of his BS
dark magic
attacks which I can't dodge or deflect with
the pendant

This is the most frustrated I have been playing a souls game, out of the total 900 hours I have in both 1 and 2. Worse than soloing (Dark Souls 2 Old Iron King DLC Boss)
Fume Knight
on NG++ in DkS2.
That is very correct. I didn't expect it to be a cakewalk (though it was until O&S), but I can't believe how hard
Manus
turned out to be for this challenge. It's insane.

I also just couldn't believe how much more frustrating it is than when I was learning to play for the first time...
Dude. Dude. Duuuuuude. Are you me?

This is exactly me when I was doing my SL1 run, hahaha. I had zero problems the whole game, even S&O wasn't too bad, Four Kings was a cakewalk with pyromancy, Artorias only took 2 tries and it's because I was supper sloppy the first try.

But Manus? Fucking Manus! Took me like 50+ tries, if I count my stock of green blossoms; I stocked up to 99 and eventually had like 50 or under that, rarely used more than one per attempt.

He's too resistant to magic so I forgot all about pyromancy for him. And the reinforced club, the melee weapon of choice, deals decent damage but has such a crappy moveset and he's so hard to melee at SL1... So instead I, inspired by I believe was a video by our very own Stormtrooper here, kited him with a crossbow.

Upgraded a light crossbow to +15, wore RoFaP and (IIRC) Chloranthy, maxed out crimson armour, and I think I used the heater shield or the grass crest shield, not sure, for emergency blocking. Silver talisman to repel dark magic if needed. I eventually got him that way, just kiting him forever. Since you're swimming in souls from never levelling up, spend it on green blossoms and heavy bolts or something. I'm not nearly comfortable enough to use strategies like hyper mode (Red Tearstone, low HP), since there's zero room for error, whereas with RoFaP and decent armour I can still survive most attacks. Just not the grab attack if it hits you straight from the beginning of the combo, and not the dark magic, because both of these OHKO. But if I get hit by something else I can survive and hopefully heal up. It's slower with full HP and the crossbow, but safer, and since you're at a distance, you have more time to see the magic attack coming and repel it with the talisman or just dodge it.

When I did win, my hands were shaking. I can't recall the last time a video game did that to me.

Kalameet? He was tough too, took me a few tries, second hardest boss at SL1 and I ended up using the crossbow a lot too, but compared to Manus he was almost a breeze. xD

Dude. Dude. Duuuuuude. Are you me?

Probably not... I am angry with myself, since i managed to hit him with 3/4 Great Fireballs and the melee'd him down to only 1 Reinforced Lightning Club light attack's worth of health... then misread one of his magic attacks and died.

This has happened 3 times now and I am starting to wonder if it is actually possible for me to do. It should be, but I feel like there's some other force at play here. Attempting this has added 6 hours to this run.

wiibomb

I completely forgot the way the souls games had to prove your nerves..

yesterday I had to turn off the game after going from the first bonfire in
blighttown
to the
poison lake
allllll the way down, to almost getting to the second bonfire, just to see oneself die from
toxic
with almost no cures and just 2 estus flasks, then.. just die from a bite on the back from one of those stupid fire dogs.

I knew I shouldn't go down there...

I hate those dogs..

I don't ever bother doing blighttown "normally" now ie gaping dragon, get the key, enter through there
I just take the other way with the elevator, coming from valley of drakes. Either go there via master key or from darkroot basin

wiibomb

I don't ever bother doing blighttown "normally" now ie gaping dragon, get the key, enter through there
I just take the other way with the elevator, coming from valley of drakes. Either go there via master key or from darkroot basin

I did exactly that.. I guess there is a better way..

don't know the valley of drakes place, only the darkroot basin and I was being wrecked by the bulky crystal guys when I entered there.

I any case, it is already too late for me, I can only press forward now

Unai

I usually wait to go get the Firekeeper Soul in Blinghttown until I rest in the swamp bonfire. Fuck those dogs. It's worth noting that getting that soul is what triggers the death of Anastacia, even if you didn't ring any of the bells.

I usually wait to go get the Firekeeper Soul in Blinghttown until I rest in the swamp bonfire. Fuck those dogs. It's worth noting that getting that soul is what triggers the death of Anastacia, even if you didn't ring any of the bells.

You're sure about that ? If you ring both bells but don't pick the firekeeper soul she doesn't die ?
I don't even bother picking that soul up now honestly

Unai

You're sure about that ? If you ring both bells but don't pick the firekeeper soul she doesn't die ?
I don't even bother picking that soul up now honestly

I think she dies in that case too. I know that getting the soul triggers it because I did it once and she died. I had to google it to find out why. I hadn't even killed neither Queelag nor the gargoyle bosses. I just went to Blighttown to get some Pround Knight Souls and farm green titanites.

wiibomb

who's.. anastacia.. should I care?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Anastacia is the Firekeeper in Firelink Shrine.

I'm not sure if you can avoid her dying by not picking up the soul in Blighttown, but if you really want to avoid her dying, just
kill Lautrec
before entering Blighttown.

Besides even if she dies, you can
revive her after entering Anor Londo
anyway...

It might be a case of either/or ringing both bells or picking up the soul, as long as Lautrec is alive. I'm pretty sure if you rang both bells but didn't pick up the firekeeper's soul she would still be killed. I guess storywise, Lautrec hears the bell and realises Sen's Fortress is open for his getaway route and makes his move?

I've done stuff in some funky orders, but I don't ever remember her being alive after coming back from ringing both bells. Blighttown is usually my first bell and I do pick up the soul usually too - so I can certainly say you don't have to have both bells rung in order for her to die.

wiibomb

awww shit...

I didn't kill him because I didn't know when to do it. I'm fucked now, I guess...

way too far in Blighttown to try to go back, I'll have to bear the consequence. At least I have the Estus Flask+2

Unai

awww shit...

I didn't kill him because I didn't know when to do it. I'm fucked now, I guess...

way too far in Blighttown to try to go back, I'll have to bear the consequence. At least I have the Estus Flask+2

That's the best thing to do in a first playthrough anyway, in regards to loot.

Definately best to let him live, you get revenge later and there are plenty of other firekeepers who can upgrade your Estus Flask besides the one at Firelink Shrine.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
awww shit...

Not a big deal. It just means
you won't have access to the Firelink bonfire for a short while, but you'll also unlock a cool side-quest and an armour set you wouldn't get otherwise
. You're good.

wiibomb

Ummm... this queelag has either too much HP or too much Defense.

Any hint to deal with her? I'm feeling I should be using something similar to Gaping Dragon, but I haven't found what exactly... magic, perhaps? Doesn't seem all that vulnerable to that

Tarkus

Ummm... this queelag has either too much HP or too much Defense.

Any hint to deal with her? I'm feeling I should be using something similar to Gaping Dragon, but I haven't found what exactly... magic, perhaps? Doesn't seem all that vulnerable to that
Hit the butt and run when she twerks. Two hand the weapon, screw the shield.

One more thing. If you have an attunement slot, try out that new pyromancy that you just picked up in upper Blighttown. It might be a bad idea if you don't have enough flasks though.

Tarkus

This made me laugh more than it should, thanks I'll try that.

Also, very sorry to be asking this lot of questions, I really appreciate you are helping me, honestly.
No problem. The community loves to help. Ask moarrr.

***see my edit above***

There's an NPC to help you with quelaag if you're struggling. Need to be human, and first you have to beat her, she'll invade if you're human around the bonfire at the bottom of blighttown

Que has plenty of HP but no absurd defenses, just immune to fire iirc. If you didn't upgrade your weapon to +8-10 you're gonna take long that's for sure

wiibomb

There's an NPC to help you with quelaag if you're struggling. Need to be human, and first you have to beat her, she'll invade if you're human around the bonfire at the bottom of blighttown

Que has plenty of HP but no absurd defenses, just immune to fire iirc. If you didn't upgrade your weapon to +8-10 you're gonna take long that's for sure

I've wasted about 5 humanities trying to deal with queelag with man-eater.

I'm starting to think something is underleveled. I'm about 20-22 of strength and I'm using the gargoyle's axe I got for severing the tale in +2, I need to do at least 5 consecutive hits to expect to deplete one of those bars to go down.

Not even with man-eater I can do much, she by herself can deplete a lot of queelag's health, but I'm kinda helpess in damage output, I don't know if this should be like that.

Weird, mildred does kinda decent damage, although her AI is trash
Don't know if the gargoyle tail axe is good at all, rapier/balder side sword/claymore are good for early game I feel, just need to upgrade them a bit to +4-5 or even more if you can

Going back to firelink from blighttown isn't too long honestly, use the "elevator" and it's a few ladders off from there, you'll need to find a key though

Mistel

Banned
I've wasted about 5 humanities trying to deal with queelag with man-eater.

I'm starting to think something is underleveled. I'm about 20-22 of strength and I'm using the gargoyle's axe I got for severing the tale in +2, I need to do at least 5 consecutive hits to expect to deplete one of those bars to go down.

Not even with man-eater I can do much, she by herself can deplete a lot of queelag's health, but I'm kinda helpess in damage output, I don't know if this should be like that.
It's more to do with your weapon not only is it quite low level it's also a DEX weapon and well kinda crap to be honest.

I'm starting to think something is underleveled. I'm about 20-22 of strength and I'm using the gargoyle's axe I got for severing the tale in +2
There's your problem, your weapon is severely un-upgraded.

You should've found the Large Ember in a chest in the Depths, this is a key item and used to take +5 weapons to +6 onwards by
giving it to Andre, the Blacksmith at the Parish
. You can't take a weapon to +6 yourself at a bonfire, but can take a +6 all the way to +10.

So that means either soldiering on with Quelaag or making your way back to the Parish to upgrade your weapon. You should've noticed the wooden wheel on your way to Quelaag, that's the quickest way back to Firelink Shrine. The leech enemies in Blighttown drop large titanite shards which are used to take a +5 weapon up to +10 (you will need 9), and you can buy regular titanite from Andre to take that +2 Gargoyle Axe to +5.
I would farm the leeches for 9 large shards, then make your way back - don't sit at any bonfires on the way, then use a homeward bone in order to warp instantly back to Blighttown - With a +10 weapon you will be more on target for where you want to be vs Quelaag. And it can't be stressed enough how important upgrading your weapon is, given the choice to level up a couple of times or upgrade my weapon - weapon wins EVERY time.

wiibomb

Weird, mildred does kinda decent damage, although her AI is trash
Don't know if the gargoyle tail axe is good at all, rapier/balder side sword/claymore are good for early game I feel, just need to upgrade them a bit to +4-5 or even more if you can

Going back to firelink from blighttown isn't too long honestly, use the "elevator" and it's a few ladders off from there, you'll need to find a key though

you mean with the New Londo Ruins key? I went all the way up but just opened the bar door and didn't enter because I thought beyond there it would be another area.

It's more to do with your weapon not only is it quite low level it's also a DEX weapon and well kinda crap to be honest.

well, it's not ideal for queelag, but the whole lower burg - The Depths - Blighttown I have been using it, haven't found a better weapon yet, it has been working wonderfully until this boss, and I also have been using the broadsword+2, but then again, its way too low in damage output.

I also feel I should ask, where could be the best place to get the weapon upgrade shards? (titanite shards were they?) I have only 2 left.

Yeah that door leads to new londo and you have a lift there to go to firelink
Titanite shards you should buy at andre, there's no real good source to farm them, and they're only 800 to buy
Don't bother upgrading armor for now btw

Mistel

Banned
well, it's not ideal for queelag, but the whole lower burg - The Depths - Blighttown I have been using it, haven't found a better weapon yet, it has been working wonderfully until this boss, and I also have been using the broadsword+2, but then again, its way too low in damage output.

I also feel I should ask, where could be the best place to get the weapon upgrade shards? (titanite shards were they?) I have only 2 left.
You've missed a quite a few weapons then on the way there then. As for titanite shards go farm the Balder knight's they'll give you the shards you need plus have you got the embers

wiibomb

There's your problem, your weapon is severely un-upgraded.

You should've found the Large Ember in a chest in the Depths, this is a key item and used to take +5 weapons to +6 onwards by
giving it to Andre, the Blacksmith at the Parish
. You can't take a weapon to +6 yourself at a bonfire, but can take a +6 all the way to +10.

So that means either soldiering on with Quelaag or making your way back to the Parish to upgrade your weapon. You should've noticed the wooden wheel on your way to Quelaag, that's the quickest way back to Firelink Shrine. The leech enemies in Blighttown drop large titanite shards which are used to take a +5 weapon up to +10 (you will need 9), and you can buy regular titanite from Andre to take that +2 Gargoyle Axe to +5.
I would farm the leeches for 9 large shards, then make your way back - don't sit at any bonfires on the way, then use a homeward bone in order to warp instantly back to Blighttown - With a +10 weapon you will be more on target for where you want to be vs Quelaag. And it can't be stressed enough how important upgrading your weapon is, given the choice to level up a couple of times or upgrade my weapon - weapon wins EVERY time.

Yeah that door leads to new londo and you have a lift there to go to firelink
Titanite shards you should buy at andre, there's no real good source to farm them, and they're only 800 to buy
Don't bother upgrading armor for now btw

You've missed a quite a few weapons then on the way there then. As for titanite shards go farm the Balder knight's they'll give you the shards you need plus have you got the embers

thanks a lot for the replies.

I actually gave the ember to Andre, but didn't had any titanite shards to actually ascend anything, I need to at least get some more and with any luck, a good weapon to use it.

how much should I reserve those 800 shards? will I be starving towards endgame because I don't have enough? I feel dark souls has a hell lot of weapons.

I also will have to backtrack to the shrine though that entrance in New Londo.

thanks a lot guys, I felt so very discouraged yesterday because of the difficult I had with that queelag, now I have a new purpose instead of just hitting myself to a wall

Top Bottom