• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Mistel

Banned
thanks a lot for the replies.

I actually gave the ember to Andre, but didn't had any titanite shards to actually ascend anything, I need to at least get some more and with any luck, a good weapon to use it.

how much should I reserve those 800 shards? will I be starving towards endgame because I don't have enough? I feel dark souls has a hell lot of weapons.
They're infinite in amount not at all. If you just farm Balder Knights in the parish you'll get their souls to buy some plus the shards they drop.

Unai

thanks a lot for the replies.

I actually gave the ember to Andre, but didn't had any titanite shards to actually ascend anything, I need to at least get some more and with any luck, a good weapon to use it.

how much should I reserve those 800 shards? will I be starving towards endgame because I don't have enough? I feel dark souls has a hell lot of weapons.

I also will have to backtrack to the shrine though that entrance in New Londo.

thanks a lot guys, I felt so very discouraged yesterday because of the difficult I had with that queelag, now I have a new purpose instead of just hitting myself to a wall

He meant they cost 800 souls each, not that you must have 800 of them. You choose the weapons you like the most and upgrade them.

wiibomb

They're infinite in amount not at all. If you just farm Balder Knights in the parish you'll get their souls to buy some plus the shards they drop.

He meant they cost 800 souls each, not that you must have 800 of them. You choose the weapons you like the most and upgrade them.

oh I'm sorry then... sheesh... they are expensive, I'll have to find something to farm for them..

hmmm, I think pyromancy might be good to deal with the trees in darkroot garden

Started a new playthrough and Oscar disappeared when I went back to him after beating asylum demon. Did he glitch to death or is this what usually happens.

Mistel

Banned
Ah I see. Never went back to Oscar but was showing my little cousin the game. He created the character and chose the tiny being ring. Guess he's missing the queelags sister conversation for this playthrough.
The conversation with the sister isn't really something you need it's nice lore though.

The conversation with the sister isn't really something you need it's nice lore though.

Yeah, it's just a character my cousin and his sister would of been fans of. They usually support characters that aren't actively trying to kill you. Unsurprising they both have become solaire fans.

wiibomb

What do you guys think of the Falchion? Upgrading worth?

I got an unchigatana from the undead merchant and I got it to +9..

I feel like I'm wrecking havoc anywhere.

I also got a basement key for the undead burg after I defeated the moonlight butterfly (yeah! I finally did it!), I'll go and try to see if that "friend" is too frenzy :p

Uchi is ok, there's a few other nice katanas too. IIRC, you have leveled up strength a fair bit so you might want to go for the Iaito which is a similar sword but with a unique R2 attack and is found in Blighttown, not far from the start, it requires a jump.

As for the Falchion, I don't the curved sword class in Souls at all, but if you like the moveset go with it, any weapon is viable in Souls games.

wiibomb

Uchi is ok, there's a few other nice katanas too. IIRC, you have leveled up strength a fair bit so you might want to go for the Iaito which is a similar sword but with a unique R2 attack and is found in Blighttown, not far from the start, it requires a jump.

As for the Falchion, I don't the curved sword class in Souls at all, but if you like the moveset go with it, any weapon is viable in Souls games.

oh! I'll go back to it then, but since Blighttown is such a mess I'll go from The Depths entrance again.

BTW, now that I opened the door to
Sen's Fortress
, would it be wise to first finish the areas I have here before
Anor Londo
? I got about 4 I discovered but haven't finished:
-Darkroot Basin
-The Catacombs (I just entered, but I don't know if I should be there)
-New Londo
-An area on the other side of the poison lake in Blighttown, it was blocked by a kind of illusory wall, I went in but decided to go back

Mistel

Banned

Iaito is pure DEX though with the same STR requirement as uchi.

wiibomb

Iaito is pure DEX though with the same STR requirement as uchi.

I was kind of wrong with what I said before, I have right now 20 Str after I leveled up more, with 18 of Dex. Since I discovered Uchi and most physical weps I like seem to use Dex better, I think I'll go kinda even with Dex and Str in next levels

Unai

oh! I'll go back to it then, but since Blighttown is such a mess I'll go from The Depths entrance again.

BTW, now that I opened the door to
Sen's Fortress
, would it be wise to first finish the areas I have here before
Anor Londo
? I got about 4 I discovered but haven't finished:
-Darkroot Basin
-The Catacombs (I just entered, but I don't know if I should be there)
-New Londo
-An area on the other side of the poison lake in Blighttown, it was blocked by a kind of illusory wall, I went in but decided to go back

I would left those areas for later.

Mistel

Banned
I was kind of wrong with what I said before, I have right now 20 Str after I leveled up more, with 18 of Dex. Since I discovered Uchi and most physical weps I like seem to use Dex better, I think I'll go kinda even with Dex and Str in next levels
Well if you're going quality 40/40 then pure DEX weapons might not be a good idea but that's not too much of an issue you could always pick up a Halberd/Longsword/Sun Sword/Dark Sword/Bastard Sword/Claymore etc.
I would left those areas for later.
Darkroot basin is not too bad it's definitely manageable at their level even earlier.

wiibomb

Thanks for the replies.

I did kill the
hydra
at the lake in darkroot basin, but up above in the other area of the darkroot garden the the
cats
where doing a lot of damange, so I better quit there for now.

I also just discovered the valley of drakes, but I'll leave them there for now, want to check out Sen's Fortress

Thanks for the replies.

I did kill the
hydra
at the lake in darkroot basin, but up above in the other area of the darkroot garden the the
cats
where doing a lot of damange, so I better quit there for now.

I also just discovered the valley of drakes, but I'll leave them there for now, want to check out Sen's Fortress

Valley of drakes is another centric area where you can travel to another areas you already visited so look up for hidden stuff there

wiibomb

That Anor Londo cutscene, damn it is great.

I should not reinforce the estus flasks, right? It has something to do with the revival of the one in the fire shrine, if I'm not wrong, but I suppose it should be near here in Anor Londo?

That Anor Londo cutscene, damn it is great.

I should not reinforce the estus flasks, right? It has something to do with the revival of the one in the fire shrine, if I'm not wrong, but I suppose it should be near here in Anor Londo?
You can reinforce your Estus Flask, Anastacia's soul is the one you shouldn't use (because it will make Firelink Shrine inactive for the rest of the playthrough) - Lautrec has it, so until you get it back from him you're good to use any you have. Also, they have different item descriptions, so you can tell which is which.

Ok. Finally finished my first SL1 run (all bosses). One-shot both (DLC boss)
Kalameet
and (final boss)
Gwyn
with Fire Tempest BS.

On the boss I was struggling on previously, I finally got him even though I missed one of my Great Fireballs.
My attempts at killing him make up a whole 6 hours of my 26 hour run. Jeez.

Kalameet
and (final boss)
Gwyn
with Fire Tempest BS.

On the boss I was struggling on previously, I finally got him even though I missed one of my Great Fireballs.

Congrats. What equipment did you use?

Congrats. What equipment did you use?

All that gross stuff that makes pyromancy OP (Dusk Crown, RTSR, Bellowing Dragoncrest ring, Power Within) for (DLC bosses)
Manus
and
Kalameet
, as well as the final boss.

For the rest of the game I pretty much did melee only using the Lightning Reinforced Club, except for killing
Ornstein
first in O&S.
Armor was Crimson hood and skirt, with Witch robe and gloves. Mostly used Havel's ring and the Dark Wood Grain Ring until I starting using pyromancies.

Kalameet
and (final boss)
Gwyn
with Fire Tempest BS.

Dayyyyum! Well done. My post-DLC SL1 run was killed by Manus and I never went back, I still never learnt to dodge his attack properly..

wiibomb

I think I never hated
Lautrec
until I had to invade his world..

no estus flasks use and 2 goons with him??? worst of all, there is one weapon in Lautrec that inflicts damage even with a shield.
Literally more than a hour to get it finished.

Dayyyyum! Well done. My post-DLC SL1 run was killed by Manus and I never went back, I still never learnt to dodge his attack properly..

Yeah, he about did the same to mine as you can imagine. A couple hours worth of tries, though, and I thought I was already in too deep. I just had to finish it up.

I think I never hated
Lautrec
until I had to invade his world..

no estus flasks use and 2 goons with him??? worst of all, there is one weapon in Lautrec that inflicts damage even with a shield.
Literally more than a hour to get it finished.

He wont go without a fight, an unfair fight. the stairs are his weakness anyway

wiibomb

He wont go without a fight, an unfair fight. the stairs are his weakness anyway

I don't know why, but I think I lasted so much because I wanted to beat the bastard fair and square by my ways, in the end I could defeat the 3 with just my uchigatana +10 and a LOT of pressure

After hundreds of hours into DS2, I went back to DS1 to finally take a crack at the DLC. Some questions:

Q1: I forgot how the weapon buffs work in this one, in DS2 they add a flat bonus + extra based on your stats. In this one it is a modifier * the magic adjust of the catalyst, so the Int doesn't matter at all? (other than the bonus to the catalyst). So If I am primarily melee and want a weapon buff, I can do 15 int + Oolacile catalyst with Greater Magic Weapon for the most bonus damage I can get short of a resin, is that right?

Q2: If I have a dex/quality build, at which point is normal +15 better than +5 lightning for Uchigatana? Lightning seems to do 225+225, while normal +15 is 225 + (Dex)(.85)... which means that even at 99 dex it will cap out at 310? Which seems inferior to 450, even if the target has halfway decent lightning resist, I can still loose out on 140 points of damage before I'm even at equal standing with +15 normal?

Q3: Is it me, or do the bosses have a lot more health than DS2? If you have a +6/+7 weapon and 2H (my last Ds2 play through was also Uchigatana) bosses just crumble... huge swathes of health disappear with each strike if you are going on a boss solo. In DS1 when I go solo, it really doesn't seem to make much difference to their health pool?

Q4: How is the DLC for DS1? Is it significantly harder, should I keep clearing the "normal" game before going to tackle it? Or now that I have the lord vessel it's no problem to hop into the new areas?
It's been years since I played DS1, and I never solo anything, always super-cheese and max summons. This run was different, I was so happy to solo O&S, first try even.

On Q4 just dive into the dlc. All the bonfires in there are warpable so you don't even need to kindle. Just warp to a maxed bonfire and warp back in. The enemies are not all that hard though you may find one or 2 of the bosses a tad tricky.

The bosses in the DLC are highly resistant to elemental damage, so it's best to go with a purely physical weapon.

btw, where are you in the game where you have a +6/7 weapon? You should be +10 by the time you get to Anor Londo, if not on your way to +15 since you can get the very large ember right from the start of the time game, there's no need to wait until post-Lord Vessel to get that. I would certainly be fully upgraded for the DLC, but it's doable as soon as you get the Lord Vessel imo.

Mistel

Banned
After hundreds of hours into DS2, I went back to DS1 to finally take a crack at the DLC. Some questions:

Q1: I forgot how the weapon buffs work in this one, in DS2 they add a flat bonus + extra based on your stats. In this one it is a modifier * the magic adjust of the catalyst, so the Int doesn't matter at all? (other than the bonus to the catalyst). So If I am primarily melee and want a weapon buff, I can do 15 int + Oolacile catalyst with Greater Magic Weapon for the most bonus damage I can get short of a resin, is that right?

Q2: If I have a dex/quality build, at which point is normal +15 better than +5 lightning for Uchigatana? Lightning seems to do 225+225, while normal +15 is 225 + (Dex)(.85)... which means that even at 99 dex it will cap out at 310? Which seems inferior to 450, even if the target has halfway decent lightning resist, I can still loose out on 140 points of damage before I'm even at equal standing with +15 normal?

Q3: Is it me, or do the bosses have a lot more health than DS2? If you have a +6/+7 weapon and 2H (my last Ds2 play through was also Uchigatana) bosses just crumble... huge swathes of health disappear with each strike if you are going on a boss solo. In DS1 when I go solo, it really doesn't seem to make much difference to their health pool?​

Q1: For 15 FTH the Oolacile catalysts will offer the best mag adjust of 180

Q2: All ways the lightning does split damage and has no scaling unless you're doing a low level run then lightning on a Uchi is useless don't know how you worked out your numbers for 99 DEX as that's 454 instead of 310.

Q3: Lower health than DS2 bosses actually have far more health than DS1 bosses the Dragonrider in Heide that can potentially be the first boss you fight has nearly as much health a Quelaag there's sub 100HP difference between them.​

On Q4 just dive into the dlc. All the bonfires in there are warpable so you don't even need to kindle. Just warp to a maxed bonfire and warp back in. The enemies are not all that hard though you may find one or 2 of the bosses a tad tricky.

Okay, will do: I'll give some of the DLC a shot before going further in the normal game. I tried that with DS2 and it was pretty difficult (going to each DLC as soon as I had the key), I felt the DLC was more late/post game content.

The bosses in the DLC are highly resistant to elemental damage, so it's best to go with a purely physical weapon.

btw, where are you in the game where you have a +6/7 weapon? You should be +10 by the time you get to Anor Londo, if not on your way to +15 since you can get the very large ember right from the start of the time game, there's no need to wait until post-Lord Vessel to get that. I would certainly be fully upgraded for the DLC, but it's doable as soon as you get the Lord Vessel imo.

My Uchi is +10, I was trying to compare it to a roughly DS2 level weapon, since DS1 goes to +15 and DS2 stops at +10. That's a good call though about very large ember, I forgot about going to Ruins. I should be able to handle that now and get my Uchi to +14 before tackling the DLC. There is something about the ghosts in the ruins, I forget... I have to be cursed or something to hit them? Well... time to go find out! :)

Q1: For 15 FTH the Oolacile catalysts will offer the best mag adjust of 180

Q2: All ways the lightning does split damage and has no scaling unless you're doing a low level run then lightning on a Uchi is useless don't know how you worked out your numbers for 99 DEX as that's 454 instead of 310.

Q3: Lower health than DS2 bosses actually have far more health than DS1 bosses the Dragonrider in Heide that can potentially be the first boss you fight has nearly as much health a Quelaag there's sub 100HP difference between them.

A2: That was just from the DS1 wiki, it says +15 Uchi is 225 + 85% of your dex score (at least that is how I am understanding it). To me that sounds like +84.15 if I had 99 dex, I guess that I am wrong? How did you get to 454?

A3: Perhaps not their health pool, maybe it is their defences. If we look a the Dragonrider example he may have a higher total health, but he goes down far faster than Quelaag. Even a partially upgraded weapon 2H will take him down in only a few hits. Quelaag seemed to take a lot more.

TIL you can reflect the Moonlight Butterfly's magic with Force in the same as you can do so with the giant's boulders in Sen's Fortress. I had a feeling it would work, but doing a no shield/miracle only run and thought I'd give it a go.

Mistel

Banned
A2: That was just from the DS1 wiki, it says +15 Uchi is 225 + 85% of your dex score (at least that is how I am understanding it). To me that sounds like +84.15 if I had 99 dex, I guess that I am wrong? How did you get to 454?

A3: Perhaps not their health pool, maybe it is their defences. If we look a the Dragonrider example he may have a higher total health, but he goes down far faster than Quelaag. Even a partially upgraded weapon 2H will take him down in only a few hits. Quelaag seemed to take a lot more.
Your understanding of how weapon scaling works is wrong. In DS 1 the bonus works essentially the same as DS2 except the stat is hidden as for 454 is what you should have knowing how the damage scaling works plus mugenmonkey which does it for you. Which ever article you read for it is like really wrong.

wiibomb

I... I upgraded my uchigatana +10 to Chaos Blade and it is somehow doing less damage than uchigatana +10?? how ? :(

at least I have Iato+10

Unai

I... I upgraded my uchigatana +10 to Chaos Blade and it is somehow doing less damage than uchigatana +10?? how ? :(

at least I have Iato+10

It's because now it's doing split damage so its damage does against two defenses type. Also, the Chaos Blade scales with humanity, so the more humanity you have the more powerful it gets, up to 10 humanities.

Mistel

Banned
It's because now it's doing split damage so its damage does against two defenses type.
That's her Fury Sword completely different to Chaos blade which doesn't do split damage.
at least I have Iato+10
Chaos blade starts off lower than the uchi but with 40 dex and 10 soft humanity it's far stronger you really need the soft humanity scaling bonus to out damage other katanas though.

wiibomb

I might have done a mistake then, in a game where I lose humanity in every death and I die fairly often, it might not be as good.

I'll try to add more points to Dex and see how it develops against my Iato

Mistel

Banned
I might have done a mistake then, in a game where I lose humanity in every death and I die fairly often, it might not be as good.

I'll try to add more points to Dex and see how it develops against my Iato
It'll be stronger generally but it'll be weaker than an Iaito would be.

wiibomb

Disasters are gone after the defeat of the Gravelord Servant

After I found on google what this was.. I'm not noticing any change.

Does it appears in a specific area? I was in the darkroot basin bonfire, the one before valley of drakes.

After I found on google what this was.. I'm not noticing any change.

Does it appears in a specific area? I was in the darkroot basin bonfire, the one before valley of drakes.

Some guy invaded your world sendind NPCs in that area, someone killed him ala Lautrec or he died by random enemies on his world.

Is a pretty rare situation because most of the invader prefer to invade you personally.

Top Bottom