• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Mistel

Banned
I don't think I've actually used my drake sword, I just need more titanite from mobs to upgrade my claymore. Nearly killed the heavy knight only to evade into a corner of the church and get squished.

Rizzi

Finished the Tomb already. I was just venting. :p
Then I went on to the Four Kings. That boss fight is way too easy.
Can you stand in front of the enemy and mash RB? You win!

I like TotG, but on your first run it's like 5-2 in DeS you just want to get the fuck out of there. It looks great with the views out, but it feels like there isn't much to do other than go from point A,B,C - the longest I've spent down there is farming white titanite chunks on the skeleton totem ambush. I also think they were too lenient in putting two very close bonfires in, and maybe worry that DS2 will be more like this after hearing there will be more bonfires overall.

All the Lord Souls areas have the same problem in that they're all dead ends and there's no reason to go back once you've defeated the boss, unlike other areas that you might trip through on your travels.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
catacombs were bad enough?

btw.: didn't you get a skull lantern in the catacombs?

Er, I never found any lantern in the Catacombs, and I thought I'd cleared it. Some kind of light source sure would make navigating the Tomb of Giants easier. Maybe I need to explore more and look for more hidden areas...

Ferr986

All the Lord Souls areas have the same problem in that they're all dead ends and there's no reason to go back once you've defeated the boss, unlike other areas that you might trip through on your travels.

I like invasions in areas like ToG, because you usually are playing the "hide and seek" game. Its pretty boring when you invade and the victim is already there waiting for you, theres PvP arena for that. I like ambushing (and getting ambushed when I invade too).

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Er, I never found any lantern in the Catacombs, and I thought I'd cleared it. Some kind of light source sure would make navigating the Tomb of Giants easier. Maybe I need to explore more and look for more hidden areas...

Pretty sure you find one where you
run/drop into Rhea and her guards

Good choic e MS..... do I recognize you from the demon's threads or just dark? anyway there are lots of reasons why you can get executables...most common is that the people didnt read the readme and they have AA on in the game menu...turn AA off read the readme is the first step. I fyou did that, then watch out for on screen framerate counters etc. turn off MSI afterburner for example. Other common tips include using the borderless windowed mode option and ensuring that your native resolution is properly listed in the dsfix notepad.

if you let us know what you have and have not tried it might help....windows 8 is the most recent culprit, but this along with GFWL was stuff you seem to have tried...the other stuff I mentioned were problems like a year ago so some may have been fixed int the interim by Durante etc. Check out the GAF thrad on the dsfix for a comprehensive and thorough trouble shoot archive.
I've posted in here in the past. Though I've started Demon's, I'm not sure if I have posted in there yet (although I do need to ask for tips because I feel I'm not ready for 4-1 and the flamelurker has aleady worn my ass like a hat).

Thanks for your response. I'm connected through RGB to my tv (no HDMI on my PC) and like I said, I followed a detailed instruction video which had me go as far as deleting DS and reinstalling etc. Even turning off AA as you say. I must admit that PC fiddling is not my forte, so even the most detailed list of options will go over my head.

It's a "ten-aidey-pee" 42" Vizio, connected through the rgb (that's what my tv has the input listed as) cable. So I'm not sure how resolution is affected in this circumstance. Edit: tv shows 1920x1080 which is exactly what I have DS selected to run at.

Edit 2: I'm on Windows 7.

Randam

like Red Liquorice already said, the necromancers have a high chance of dropping them.

Pretty sure you find one where you
run/drop into Rhea and her guards

yeah, that one is always there.

Yay, SL1 complete. Is the Firelink Altar supposed to be max kindled by default?

it is at 10 if you arrive in lordran.
if it is at 20 you kindled it to 20 in your NG run already.
the bonfire level carries over to NG+

NinjaBoiX

Right guys, I just started playing this again after a few months hiatus and I'm after some guidance regarding my build. Here are my stat and equipment screens:

WAwc1WL.jpg

QBJ5jwf.jpg

XdaicYS.jpg

X2mkDDe.jpg

94KsYUe.jpg

fpo4P71.jpg

nQ4Ebel.jpg

ZyPicJ1.jpg

I'm in Anor Londo on my first run for some context to my progess. I'm looking for a light nimble build hence the current Ninja get up but feel free to advise otherwise. Also, is concentrating on faith over intelligence wise? I'm of the understanding that miracles are more like support spells and buffs while magic is more offensive. Correct?

JustinBB7

Was bored and continued my save file into NG++. Came to the taurus demon and wanted to see how much damage my leap attack would do. He had 10% health left after my leap lol. Then I just 1 shot him. So fun to do.

Mistel

Banned
I finally killed both gargoyles, well laurtec and solarie did, it gave me a new helmet along with a tail axe. Now I've got to find that second bell in Blightown if I even knew where that place is. But before I do that i'm going to explore dark root garden a bit see I can find some gear.

I'm in Anor Londo on my first run for some context to my progess. I'm looking for a light nimble build hence the current Ninja get up but feel free to advise otherwise. Also, is concentrating on faith over intelligence wise? I'm of the understanding that miracles are more like support spells and buffs while magic is more offensive. Correct?
Everything seems in order stat-wise. I would upgrade the Uchi as far as you can (probably +10) if that is your main weapon.

Only put points into Intelligence or Faith if you intend to use magic or miracles, using both is spreading yourself very thin and either makes levelling up very expensive or leaves you too low to use the better spells, most people do a magic build or a faith build separate from any melee builds. If you don't mind spoilers you could look at a wiki and see all the stat investments for spells and see which ones you might want to use and only take INT or FTH up to that level. For example the weapon buff spells or particular offensive miracles
Wrath of the Gods!

There are offensive miracles but not as many as magic, I would say miracles are more situational than magic and are useful for being tricksy or inventive in PvP/co-op where as magic is an all rounder and useful for everything, giving you a lot of long range spells which really makes bosses too easy imo (but no doubt a lot of fun).

edit - Seem like you're a DEX build, lots of dex, endurance, that faith doesn't really do much at 17 so either ignore it from now on or take it further and become a faith/dex build. It's always a trade off when levelling up, spreading points evenly doesn't really work well because of how stat scaling works in the game - make a decision and stick to it gives the best results in terms of how much damage you do.

Chitown B

wtf. just went down to Queelag and she somehow one shotted me with her side stomp. WTF. it was NOT a long buildup.

edit: alright, got her second time. Just had to keep away and block.

NinjaBoiX

Everything seems in order stat-wise. I would upgrade the Uchi as far as you can (probably +10) if that is your main weapon.

Only put points into Intelligence or Faith if you intend to use magic or miracles, using both is spreading yourself very thin and either makes levelling up very expensive or leaves you too low to use the better spells, most people do a magic build or a faith build separate from any melee builds. If you don't mind spoilers you could look at a wiki and see all the stat investments for spells and see which ones you might want to use and only take INT or FTH up to that level. For example the weapon buff spells or particular offensive miracles
Wrath of the Gods!

There are offensive miracles but not as many as magic, I would say miracles are more situational than magic and are useful for being tricksy or inventive in PvP/co-op where as magic is an all rounder and useful for everything, giving you a lot of long range spells which really makes bosses too easy imo (but no doubt a lot of fun).

edit - Seem like you're a DEX build, lots of dex, endurance, that faith doesn't really do much at 17 so either ignore it from now on or take it further and become a faith/dex build. It's always a trade off when levelling up, spreading points evenly doesn't really work well because of how stat scaling works in the game - make a decision and stick to it gives the best results in terms of how much damage you do.
OK, thanks. I think I'll get faith up a bit more, weapon buffs sound like my cup of tea.

I just got the uchi up to 10, is there anything I can do with it from here? Also, any stronger but still light armour I should be watching out for or should I look at upgrading the ninja suit?

Also, are any of those other weapons I've got worth working on for a dex build? I plan on upgrading the Pharis bow to the darkmoon (I think?) too.

JustinBB7

I always use that sun helmet for the catacombs, so I have both hands free.

Have to take it off for the boss fight though, I found out the hard way.

Tawpgun

Don't understand PvP. The latency issues make in seemingly all about poise. Ive only managed to win by going HAM with the Furysword.

OK, thanks. I think I'll get faith up a bit more, weapon buffs sound like my cup of tea.

I just got the uchi up to 10, is there anything I can do with it from here? Also, any stronger but still light armour I should be watching out for or should I look at upgrading the ninja suit?

Also, are any of those other weapons I've got worth working on for a dex build? I plan on upgrading the Pharis bow to the darkmoon (I think?) too.
You can take weapons all the way to +15, you need the Very Large Ember for that, which is found
in New Londo Ruins.

You can use any +10 bow for the Darkmoon bow, and the Pharis bow is unique (doesn't drop more than once per playthrough) and scales S with DEX, so it's better to use a bow you can find more than one of - long or shortbow for the Darkmoon bow (scaling info on that page linked)

Any armour you want to use is fine, some is better defense than others but if you're roleplaying as a ninja you'll want to shadow hood at least. I also like the chain mail leggings on a ninja type, they have a cool metalic look, except they make more noise than cloth armour (ninjas are silent but deadly types right?!) and you might want the dark wood grain ring or ring of fog if you don't have them already for ninja roleplay.

RE: Weapon buffs - The miracle ones have requirements that impact a few things, have look at them here and here to see if they're worth it (spoilers obviously), they only have 1 cast each.

got this message twice in the past hour:

"disasters are gone after the defeat of the gravelord servant"

Uh....
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/gravelord-servant

Soulhouf

Oh really? I thought you needed the Pharis +10 to make the darkmoon bow? But it isn't as good? That's weird.

You can make a Darkmoon Bow with a Short Bow+10.
Better do that if you want it, that way you don't waste a unique and precious bow. Also you'll need a faith character with Darkmoon arrows to use it efficiently.

NinjaBoiX

Thanks a lot for the input guys, I'm going to read up a little on miracles and armour, see where I want to take things.

Much appreciated for those links RL, I'll give it a look.

I just killed the hydra and spoke to that lady from occilie (I apologise for my poor DS lingo!). I also joined the darkroot covenant for now. Got faith up to 18 and my ichi up to +10. Good session!

I'm sure I'll be in touch again guys, thank again.

Mistel

Banned
it was the heavy knight in the church

I lured him out and got him finally :p

now to get the Channeler that shoots soul arrows
The channeler is really easy, I killed him in two claymore heavy attacks. The heavy knight I just need to lure out side where I can move around it.

The channeler is really easy, I killed him in two claymore heavy attacks. The heavy knight I just need to lure out side where I can move around it.

yeah I got the Channeler with one heavy attack with my drake sword :p

I just now freed some guy in golden armor. who's this guy and should I kill him?

Mistel

Banned
yeah I got the Channeler with one heavy attack with my drake sword :p

I just now freed some guy in golden armor. who's this guy and should I kill him?
Wait for a while laurtec the gold guy, who based on the evil laugh I'm assuming is evil, is able to be summoned for the belfry gargoyle fight which might be helpful to you.

JustinBB7

I looked up that helmet, and I don't think I'll be doing all the prereq's. I got the Create Light spell instead.

Are there prereq's? I never noticed, I just talked to solaire every time I saw him, and then I cross the bridge near bed of chaos and I can get the helm there.

sikkinixx

goddamn the gargoyles are impossible.

Go Human, summon Solaire as that helps a lot your first time through. Also I would invest a level into Faith, then buy Heal from Thorolund (however you spell it) in Firelink then grab the Talisman there. It doesn't heal a lot since your faith will be low but those extra 5 heals REALLY helped me when wandering around (not so much for bosses)

Since my PS3 is now occupied so my run up to Four Kings has stalled I started a new game on PC and picked bandit and PUMPED up strength to 24 right away to use the Zweihander (one handed). Jesus lordy... I didn't know it literally flattened guys to the ground with the R2 swing. I've pretty much relied on offensive miracles to get me through the first good chunk of the game so it's interesting going without magic and just hammering dudes. The Taurus demon died in three hits (double handed plunge, then two quick swings) and gargoyles? You can just stun lock them until dead (though the second one only takes one 2-handed hit anyway) even Havel died in 5 backstabs. Beastly.

Go Human, summon Solaire as that helps a lot your first time through. Also I would invest a level into Faith, then buy Heal from Thorolund (however you spell it) in Firelink then grab the Talisman there. It doesn't heal a lot since your faith will be low but those extra 5 heals REALLY helped me when wandering around (not so much for bosses).

ha. I tried the human approach but of course some douche bag had to invade my world and backstab me....

elhav

goddamn the gargoyles are impossible.
You should master dodging, and you should get yourself a nice fire resistant shield/armor.

Letting someone help you, or summoning Solaire will make the fight a cakewalk, however I think it's the most fun to be able to beat these two bastards on your own.

As for stats, go for Endurance and Vitality if you are not sure what to upgrade. Don't count on the Drake sword for later on, find a normal weapon you like and upgrade it. And, I'll repeat it, master dodging. That's probably the most important thing.

Mindlog

ha. I tried the human approach but of course some douche bag had to invade my world and backstab me....
I chuckled. Yeah, that happens.
You are going to get lots of advice from everywhere. It's going to be hard to find something that works for you right now since so many options are available.

The firs time I defeated them was with liberal use of Fire Bombs.

Now - as always. Overwhelming DPS. Take the Highest DPS weapon you have and stick some resin on it. If you poise break a gargoyle you can stunlock them to death. Then again it sort of takes away some of the fun when you can kill most bosses by just standing there and swinging.

Mistel

Banned
Yeah I think if this was real I would have bifurcated my invader lol. I used the short cut to fire link so I had max estus and a close spawn and summoned laurtec and solaire to help me kill them.

Thursday War - get your weapon to +5 if it isn't already. You're at the blacksmith, so it's just 9 titanite shards to upgrade, either farm or buy them. Two hand your weapon to do more damage. A lot of bosses are easier if you lock-off - run around the back of the the first Gargoyle and go buck wild on him.

Roll dodging has invincibility frames you can use to dodge attacks and quickly get back to beating the first gargoyle asap, just concentrate on one when the second one appears. The heater shield blocks fire well (the name is a clue), but you're better off, again, going around the back of them and pummelling away.
Equipment load: <25% gives the fastest roll and running speed, excellent for dodging and helps a lot. <50% is the mid-roll and is enough for a lot of people and obviously lets you wear more/heavier armour.

You can summon two NPCs for that fight, if you don't want to risk getting invaded (and I don't blame you, the Parish is a hotspot for twinked out lamers), go offline for the fight.
Solaire and
Lautrec, the dude in the gold armour locked in the cell, when you free him, he will be back at Firelink Shrine, speak to him and then he will put his summon sign down on the level before the boss fog.

RE: Your stats, someone posted that 20 point guide the previous page, that's a good primer. In general look at what sort of weapons you want to use (fast, slashy/stabby weapons or slow smashing powerful ones) and upgrade the stats that the weapon you are using scales with to increase the damage bonus - the weapons stats page tells you what stats a weapon scales with. Early on, it doesn't make too much difference and you get more results from upgrading your weapon as far as can (+5 atm), so I would concentrate on levelling up Vitality and Endurance.

Kindle the Parish blacksmith bonfire to get 10 Estus refills from it, or use the Firelink bonfire and take the lift up as it already has 10 Estus refills from it. If you have any gold pine resin (from the chest in Undead Burg) use that too. Good luck!

Top Bottom