• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

ZenaxPure

Yeah, definitely spend your souls right now because you're probably about to die a lot real soon. I wouldn't worry about hanging onto any souls until you reach the first blacksmith... but that won't be for a while from where you are right now.

just lost 10K souls in Anor Londo to a stupid silver knight. Tried to run back out a door and got caught on it, then ran outside and he speared me through the wall. That's just bad game design, plain and simple. I hope DS2 removes fucking clipping through walls. It's embarrassing programming.

There are a small number of enemy attacks that can clip through walls. I don't think it was designed that way, glitches can happen in the best of games.

Ill Saint

It's very rare that I do this, but I find Dark Souls compelling enough that I've been looking for good YouTube content on the game. I stumbled upon one person I can easily see people finding annoying, yet I myself find him strangely charming and very informative. He's done a handful of boss break down videos, and I like how he presents them quite a bit.

One example is this (warning: big spoiler past the 11:55 mark) O&S video. I've beaten them twice now, yet the collection of little details and different angles still gave me a new perspective on them. And his Capra Demon video was a revelation.

I've also watched some EpicNameBro and VaatiVidya. Love their lore stuff so far.

Any recommendations?
Might be a bit late, but worth a watch for anyone is Oroboro and PeevePeeverson's NG+7, perma-gravelord, aggression modded co-op playthrough. Some absolutely hilarious moments. I hope they keep it going.

mannerbot

It's very rare that I do this, but I find Dark Souls compelling enough that I've been looking for good YouTube content on the game. I stumbled upon one person I can easily see people finding annoying, yet I myself find him strangely charming and very informative. He's done a handful of boss break down videos, and I like how he presents them quite a bit.

One example is this (warning: big spoiler past the 11:55 mark) O&S video. I've beaten them twice now, yet the collection of little details and different angles still gave me a new perspective on them. And his Capra Demon video was a revelation.

I've also watched some EpicNameBro and VaatiVidya. Love their lore stuff so far.

Any recommendations?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7oUxtyTa4K4y2L5toWN-Ag
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKXqcI40NlIJYAmtzaieCFA

MG310

Grabbed the 360 version while I wait for the PC version to go on sale (It was only about 3 dollars after the GS coupon I had). Interesting playing through it with a fresh character while also knowing what to do regarding leveling/where to go.

It's weird, I've beaten Sif 5 times now and this was the first time I noticed his near death animations.

Drake Sword
Elite Knight Helm
Knight Armor +1
Black Leather Gloves +2
Wanderer Boots
Blue Tearstone Ring
Ring of the Evil Eye

Stats:

vit 20
att 10
end 17
str 20
dex 17
res 12
int 10
fai 11

I came to blighttown with one humanity but I lost it when the darkspirit maneater stunlocked me -_-

oh and my hp is constantly being drained due to the poison lake I have to go through every time to reach her

If you got a real weapon that you can upgrade in a decent fashion, and spent some souuls upgrading your armor, you'd be fine. As is, you're doing way too little damage (meaning it takes longer, giving Quelaag more chances to kill you).

You should have dropped Drake Sword already (and here's why). It's making your game much harder than it needs to be. Blighttown or Sen's at the latest is where that crutch will fail spectacularly.

What you could do right now is make excursions from the Blighttown bonfire, across the swamp where you find leeches. Kill these (doesn't matter if you die on the way) until you have 10 large titanite shards. Take the elevator back up to Firelink Shrine, get some souls, upgrade your armor to +5 at least and a weapon like the zweihander (or halberd, or long sword, or claymore, or balder side sword, or bandit knife, or reinforced club, or pretty much anything that isn't Drake Sword) to +10. Return and crush Quelaag.

just lost 10K souls in Anor Londo to a stupid silver knight. Tried to run back out a door and got caught on it, then ran outside and he speared me through the wall. That's just bad game design, plain and simple. I hope DS2 removes fucking clipping through walls. It's embarrassing programming.
I seem to be one of the few who are okay with clipping through walls. I certainly use it to my advantage in PvE and PvP - whether intentional or not it's been in Souls since the start and they haven't done anything about it - maybe in DS2.

What are some good, balanced armors to upgrade with a dex/end focused build that (for the moment) uses Quelaag's Furysword?

An upgraded (+9, or full upgrade at +10) Wanderer's Set is pretty good and weighs under 10 units altogether. If Wanderer wasn't your starting class, you can pick up the set in Blighttown.

An unupgraded Crimson Robe, found in Blighttown, has decent stats and is really easy to get in Blighttown. You can use that while upgrading the Wanderer chest on the side. The Crimson Robe requires Twinkling Titanite for upgrades, so it might not be worth upgrading unless you want to farm souls or buy the Twinkling Titanite in Anor Londo (8000 for 1!)

Edit-
Also, you can swap the Wanderer Boots for the Hollow Warrior Waistcloth or Hollow Soldier Waistcloth. Very similar stats with a bit of poise, and 0.6/0.7 units lighter. The only downside is they're kinda ugly. You might already have of them since the enemies in Undead Burg drop them frequently.

Fevaweva

Just killed
Artorias
on my fifth try! I did it two handed and WITHOUT Power Within.

What a fantastic boss fight! I was on the edge of my seat throughout and it didn't feel cheap when I died.

An upgraded (+9, or full upgrade at +10) Wanderer's Set is pretty good and weighs under 10 units altogether. If Wanderer wasn't your starting class, you can pick up the set in Blighttown.

An unupgraded Crimson Robe, found in Blighttown, has decent stats and is really easy to get in Blighttown. You can use that while upgrading the Wanderer chest on the side. The Crimson Robe requires Twinkling Titanite for upgrades, so it might not be worth upgrading unless you want to farm souls or buy the Twinkling Titanite in Anor Londo (8000 for 1!)

Edit-
Also, you can swap the Wanderer Boots for the Hollow Warrior Waistcloth or Hollow Soldier Waistcloth. Very similar stats with a bit of poise, and 0.6/0.7 units lighter. The only downside is they're kinda ugly. You might already have of them since the enemies in Undead Burg drop them frequently.

Yeah, cool, as luck would have it I started out as a Wanderer. So I'll give that a shot. And that's preferable over something like the silver knight set? It seems to have acceptable weight, especially wearing Havel's ring.

Yeah, cool, as luck would have it I started out as a Wanderer. So I'll give that a shot. And that's preferable over something like the silver knight set? It seems to have acceptable weight, especially wearing Havel's ring.

Mid and Heavy weight armor sets will always have better defensive stats at the cost of weighing more. But since you're playing a Dex based build, it would be better to go light armor so you can be <25% equip weight for the fast roll. Dodge more instead of tanking hits.

Plus, you can stop using Havel's Ring and free up a ring slot. You could always get the Dark Wood Grain Ring so you can flip (the flip replaces the fast roll, you get more invincibility frames while flipping), which would be a good complement to your build.

Of course, you can mix and match pieces of armor to your liking. Silver Knight Leggings and Crimson Robe or something.

Mid and Heavy weight armor sets will always have better defensive stats at the cost of weighing more. But since you're playing a Dex based build, it would be better to go light armor so you can be <25% equip weight for the fast roll. Dodge more instead of tanking hits.

Plus, you can stop using Havel's Ring and free up a ring slot. You could always get the Dark Wood Grain Ring so you can flip (the flip replaces the fast roll, you get more invincibility frames while flipping), which would be a good complement to your build.

Of course, you can mix and match pieces of armor to your liking. Silver Knight Leggings and Crimson Robe or something.

Yeah that makes sense. I'll see if I can get my hands on that ring and go back to wearing fashionable leather, hehe. Thanks!

soontroll

Banned
What FromSoft actually intended when they designed O&S:
ib2CMUFCSEfSWC.gif

JustinBB7

First time I faced Bed Of Chaos I beat him in 1 try I think. No wait 2. I did both sides and was under him and the fire killed me. So I came back and did him in 1 go. Couldn't figure out why people were so annoyed with it.

Then I went through new game+ and it took me like 4/5 times, and I hated it too lol. My first time must have been lucky. The worst part is starting all the way back in the lava though.

^ lol, spitroast shot.

First time I faced Bed Of Chaos I beat him in 1 try I think. No wait 2. I did both sides and was under him and the fire killed me. So I came back and did him in 1 go. Couldn't figure out why people were so annoyed with it.

Then I went through new game+ and it took me like 4/5 times, and I hated it too lol. My first time must have been lucky. The worst part is starting all the way back in the lava though.
How rude! BoC is a lady! ;) And a mother 4(?) times over. Jeez, Souls is pretty big on the murdering of whole families come to think of it.

Deitus

How rude! BoC is a lady! ;) And a mother 4(?) times over. Jeez, Souls is pretty big on the murdering of whole families come to think of it.

The Witch of Izalith might have had as many as 7 daughters if the opening cinematic is to be believed, and she also had a son (who was later transformed into Ceaseless Discharge).

But I think it is implied that the Bed of Chaos is not actually the Witch herself, but rather a being created by her accidentally in an experiment gone awry, which swallowed up her and most of her daughters.

Although even then I guess you would still be correct, as the game does refer to Bed of Chaos as the mother of all demons.

7 Daughters, blimey, I was just thinking of the 3 in the game + Ceasless. Who's the dad?! And do we know who the mother of Gwyn's kids are? I feel a soap opera-esque twist coming on!

Deitus

7 Daughters, blimey, I was just thinking of the 3 in the game + Ceasless. Who's the dad?! And do we know who the mother of Gwyn's kids are? I feel a soap opera-esque twist coming on!

Well, there are at least 4 of the daughters seen in the game. Quelaag, the Fair Lady, Quelana, and the Daughter of Chaos you fight just outside the Bed of Chaos boss fog (the one wearing the gold hemmed black robes who uses pyromancy and drops the Izalith Catalyst). There is also the corpse next to the Ceaseless Discharge boss fight where you obtain the gold hemmed black set, which may have belonged to another daughter. No sight of the other two daughters though from what I have seen (maybe too deformed to be recognizable as human, or long since dead).

I started to think Quelana and the one outside the boss fog were one and the same, but of course she still appears even if you kill Quelana. Hmmm, I think I'll watch a youtube lore refresher.

aw ye

woke up this morning and beat quelaag :D

shes easier to beat with mildred because she gets aggrod by her and then all I have to do is go behind her and start swinging LOL

can I kill quelaags sister for the fire keeper soul? I really need a stronger estus

Nerokis

Might be a bit late, but worth a watch for anyone is Oroboro and PeevePeeverson's NG+7, perma-gravelord, aggression modded co-op playthrough. Some absolutely hilarious moments. I hope they keep it going.

Thanks! Watched he first video of the NG+7 playthrough, and yeah, it's great. Definitely looking forward to the rest.

Well, there are at least 4 of the daughters seen in the game. Quelaag, the Fair Lady, Quelana, and the Daughter of Chaos you fight just outside the Bed of Chaos boss fog (the one wearing the gold hemmed black robes who uses pyromancy and drops the Izalith Catalyst). There is also the corpse next to the Ceaseless Discharge boss fight where you obtain the gold hemmed black set, which may have belonged to another daughter. No sight of the other two daughters though from what I have seen (maybe too deformed to be recognizable as human, or long since dead).

I have a theory on that, which is tied up to my theory on something else.

So when I initially went through the game,
Rhea and her companions going missing in the Catacombs
was a big deal to me, in part because I suspected a certain Cleric of
leaving them to die
. I couldn't find any signs of them when I searched, though, and I totally managed to miss the ladder to the TotG. Later on, however, going through the Duke's Archives, I stumbled upon a kneeling corpse with
a full Maiden set and a ring belonging to "one of the great royals of Thorolund."
Did I just find who I was looking for? Once I figured out the nature of Seath's experiments, it began to make sense why that corpse would be there, too.

Of course, that turned out to be a misunderstanding. I'd eventually discover the TotG, and find out exactly what happened (my original suspicion correct). The corpse I found in the Duke's Archives was still a curiosity, but I was just happy to know
Rhea was safe and sound in the Parish.

But then I read the description of a certain armor set. The
Channeler
Set. Apparently,
Channelers are the eyes of Seath, and they explore the world in search of Maidens.
And I remembered the location of the very first one I ever fought...and suddenly my original theory on the corpse began to seem plausible again.

And that's where the gold hemmed black set comes in. I wore it for 60% of my NG and NG+ playthroughs. It plainly says it belonged to Quelana.
So imagine my surprise when, in my NG+ playthrough, I stumbled upon Quelana herself.
We know that the Witch of Izalith and almost all her children were either absorbed by the Bed of Chaos or transformed into demons. Quelana and perhaps the Daughter of Chaos are exceptions.
I think the corpse next to the Ceaseless Discharge is Quelana. We stumble upon both either because of the time is distorted thing, or the Quelana we meet, who shows surprise at mere flesh being able to see her, is actually dead
, or some combination of the two.

Anyway, I'll stop there. I just found this whole thing fascinating, and I saw an opportunity to rant about it. I would love to hear other thoughts on this, or other things I may have overlooked!

You might want to hold off on that for the time being...

That might just be me, though.
Did you find the firekeeper's soul
down in blighttown?

Also, congrats on defeating Quelaag! : )

lol too late :p

i actually forgot about that. i might go get it now. thanks!

i just picked up the claymore and uchigatana too :D

oh and the golden hemmed set makes you lowkey look like a boss :p

Chitown B

spoke to the onion knight in Anor Londo. Gave me a shitty ring, lol

Got the Silver Knight set, and Havel's set. Did REALLY good on Ornstein for awhile until I got pinned by both when he was one shot. Must've gotten greedy.

ok I revisited the asylum.

how the hell do I beat this black knight? -_-

im using a power within and claymore combo and still can't get him

nvm got him

Deitus

And that's where the gold hemmed black set comes in. I wore it for 60% of my NG and NG+ playthroughs. It plainly says it belonged to Quelana.
So imagine my surprise when, in my NG+ playthrough, I stumbled upon Quelana herself.
We know that the Witch of Izalith and almost all her children were either absorbed by the Bed of Chaos or transformed into demons. Quelana and perhaps the Daughter of Chaos are exceptions.
I think the corpse next to the Ceaseless Discharge is Quelana. We stumble upon both either because of the time is distorted thing, or the Quelana we meet, who shows surprise at mere flesh being able to see her, is actually dead
, or some combination of the two.

Anyway, I'll stop there. I just found this whole thing fascinating, and I saw an opportunity to rant about it. I would love to hear other thoughts on this, or other things I may have overlooked!

Ah, good point. I had a similar theory to yours when I first encountered this corpse. But then after fighting the Daughter of Chaos, who was dressed identically to Quelana, I just assumed they all wore the same outfit, and it slipped my memory robes specifically say they belong to Quelana. You are probably correct here.

And yeah, it is fascinating. Your "rant" is quite appreciated. For a while, I that becoming undead somehow created a body that was separate from the corpse of the original person, which would explain why we could find armor referencing one character who is still alive during the events of this game on a corpse that has been dead for ages. But a lot of the evidence I had found that seemed to support this theory (such as Quelana) seemed like they might have different explanations.

Inskipp

Had an interesting day in Township. Faced a player who had a full paladin set, and was turtling with a shield and the Dragonslayer Spear. I took him out slowly, since he seemed oddly durable (took 4 hits of PTK to poison him). After I killed him, the prize surprised me:

fDFxxex.jpg

Invaded him two more times after that. Killed him both times promptly, leaving me with a nice stash of souls.

E92 M3

Had an interesting day in Township. Faced a player who had a full paladin set, and was turtling with a shield and the Dragonslayer Spear. I took him out slowly, since he seemed oddly durable (took 4 hits of PTK to poison him). After I killed him, the prize surprised me:

fDFxxex.jpg

Invaded him two more times after that. Killed him both times promptly, leaving me with a nice stash of souls.

I had those rewards a few times as well. Always a nice surprise.

Deitus

ok I revisited the asylum.

how the hell do I beat this black knight? -_-

im using a power within and claymore combo and still can't get him

Black Knights have a lot of health and armor for the point in the game that you can encounter them, but they are bound by all the same rules and movesets that a player has, and they have very predictable attacks (once you are more familiar with them). Rather than try to to overpower them with brute force, try playing defensively.

Use a high stability shield (upgrade it if you haven't already), approach with your shield up, and play it safe until you learn his moveset. Once you get that down, either circle strafe him for backstabs (wait for him to leave himself open first), or wait for him to attack and hit him during recovery (be careful not to attack after attacks that have followups), or some combination of the two. You can also try parry if you feel up for it, but it's obviously risky. It might take a while, but don't get greedy and try to go for too many consecutive attacks.

If you can't beat him, don't feel to bad. Later on you will get to an area that has loads of enemies that behave basically identical to Black Knights, but with less health, and hurt a bit less. You can leave the Black Knights alone for now, and after you've gotten a lot of practice on the weaker guys, come back and be surprised with how easy they are to beat now.

Silky

Banned
Started a new playthrough and haven't died up until I got to the church tower. Sure enough some shitlord named Devil's Atrocity backstabbed me as soon as I got ready to ring the fucking bell

I encountered a hacker with unlimited health in the forest today. So I ran away, went down that one ladder near the hydra, switched to my Obsidian Greatsword, and blasted him off the cliff using the two-handed R2 attack. Got a nice 900k souls :D

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Invaded a guy last night and managed to elude him for 20 minutes in this spot.

bH7oZJv.jpg

Watched a podcast on my phone below the screen, glancing up every now and again as he made the rounds trying to find me. He eventually stopped above at the broken wall and tried to inch his way over to fall onto the ledge, but just fell to his death.

Just got into this game and have played for about 5-6 hours. I just rang the first bell and i'm really enjoying the game overall. It's not as hard as some people were saying it was and I think it strikes a good balance between challenge and frustration.

Guys, what is the fastest route to Anor Londo?

Firelink > Burg > Gargoyles > Bell...

... Firelink > Blighttown (with Masterkey) > Quelaag > Bell...

... Sen's > Anor.

Correcto? Is there a quicker way to the Gargz?

Top Bottom