• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

soontroll

Banned
Guys, what is the fastest route to Anor Londo?

Firelink > Burg > Gargoyles > Bell...

... Firelink > Blighttown (with Masterkey) > Quelaag > Bell...

... Sen's > Anor.

Correcto? Is there a quicker way to the Gargz?

Firelink>New londo>Valley of Drakes>Elevator to Darkroot Basin> Gargoyles>Blighttown

You can just run past everything.

Just got into this game and have played for about 5-6 hours. I just rang the first bell and i'm really enjoying the game overall. It's not as hard as some people were saying it was and I think it strikes a good balance between challenge and frustration.

Capra might change your mind soon, although I didn't have much trouble with him. The hard bosses are yet to come but you're doing pretty good if you managed to take out the Gargoyles without too much effort.

E92 M3

Invaded a guy last night and managed to elude him for 20 minutes in this spot.

bH7oZJv.jpg

Watched a podcast on my phone below the screen, glancing up every now and again as he made the rounds trying to find me. He eventually stopped above at the broken wall and tried to inch his way over to fall onto the ledge, but just fell to his death.

Hahah that's great!

... Sen's > Anor.

If you think you can do Quelaag in one, I'd do Blighttown first and homebone back to Firelink, then as soon as you've done Gargoyles you can trip right into Sen's (and even skip Burg/Taurus by going through VoD/Basin/Forest) :)

Mistel

Banned
Cheers, man. I don't think I've ever done this part in over 250 hours... Where exactly does it take you in the basin?
The valley to basin shortcut puts you right next to a bonfire and a black knight. The black knight is really near the grass crest shield and drops a black knight halberd.

Ah, yep. Know exactly what you're talking about. Thanks, guys. I'm going to want to go into the Depths for the ember, though, aren't I?

lol guys I already beat it. It's just the fact that it took me a whole day to beat her and stormtrooper here took maybe 10 mins

anyways, I just beat pinwheel. hes the easiest boss so far right behind ceaseless.

ZenaxPure

Well to be honest a nice phantom person did most the work for me. I seem to have missed some loot maybe in lower undead burg or the depths to make the blacksmith go above +5?

That one is in the depths. Super easy to get to. Near the start where the fat butcher guy was cutting meat, there was a chest behind him that had the ember.

Mistel

Banned
Ah, yep. Know exactly what you're talking about. Thanks, guys and girl I'm going to want to go into the Depths for the ember, though, aren't I?
Fixed that for you :p.

Thanks for telling me where to look for the ember thingy is in the depths, I've probably walked right past it loads of times... And I have.

That rusted ring best thing ever, made that swampy bit really easy in blightown. Not to mention the valley shortcut, thanks chitown :D.

Edit: not to make you feel bad Thursday war but it took about 2 minutes tops.

chunk3rvd

I have a theory on that, which is tied up to my theory on something else.

To add to your theory,
if you buy all of Rhea's stuff you eventually find her hollow in a prison cell in the Archive's. It appears she may have gone there after the Parish which would explain where you found the armor

Deitus

Man, whoever said Four Kings was much much harder on New Game + sure wasn't kidding. I just could not beat them fast enough to not get swarmed. And something I didn't notice on the first playthough,
even when you are down to the fourth one, they keep respawning,
so simply powering through the first three and taking my time with the last one didn't work.

I finally beat it though. I can't help but feel I got lucky on the attempt that I was finally successful though.

Ill Saint

... Sen's > Anor.

I tend to skip Burg and go through Valley of the Drakes / Darkroot to get to the gargoyles. Not sure if it's necessarily faster, but the soul pickups along the way are pretty good.
EDIT: Wow, late.

Thanks for telling me where to look for the ember thingy is in the depths, I've probably walked right past it loads of times... And I have.

Haha. Noted! And no problem. I'd have liked to have avoided Capra/Depths altogether, but I guess a +5 coupled with being underleveled ain't gonna cut it against O&S.

Chitown B

That rusted ring best thing ever, made that swampy bit really easy in blightown. Not to mention the valley shortcut, thanks chitown :D.

Edit: not to make you feel bad Thursday war but it took about 2 minutes tops.

Such a weird game. Something that is such a huge piece of the game squirreled away in a chest you don't ever have to actually get near.

Welcome! :)

The valley to basin shortcut puts you right next to a bonfire and a black knight. The black knight is really near the grass crest shield and drops a black knight halberd.

I wish he did. Didn't drop it for me :*(

Seance

Banned
I never got the large ember in my first playthrough but i didn't really need it. Black Knight Halberd is pretty ridiculous.

Tried playing this again after beating it like once when it first came out and then messing around with a handful of other characters.

MAN THIS GAME IS HARD!

I never, EVER thought that at first but I dunno, maybe I'm not in the Dark Souls mindset or just trying to rush through it to much even though I only ever beat it once... but damn. Died to Tarus like 12 times before beating him. Maybe its because I've been playing Ninja Yolo everything Gaiden 3 at the same time.

Been having scary thoughts of cancelling my preorder for DS2 because of this.
Then again, I rage quit like 5 times yet keep popping the disc back in a few hours later...

Tried playing this again after beating it like once when it first came out and then messing around with a handful of other characters.

MAN THIS GAME IS HARD!

I never, EVER thought that at first but I dunno, maybe I'm not in the Dark Souls mindset or just trying to rush through it to much even though I only ever beat it once... but damn. Died to Tarus like 12 times before beating him. Maybe its because I've been playing Ninja Yolo everything Gaiden 3 at the same time.

Been having scary thoughts of cancelling my preorder for DS2 because of this. Then again, I rage quit like 5 times yet keep popping the disc back in a few hours later...

haha thats me.

if i can't beat a certain part for a while, i just take a break with some NHL for an hour or so, and then go back and try again. it works :p

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I finally got past Capra Demon (actually put the game aside for a bit after banging my head against the wall.) I calmed down, and figured out that once the dogs are down, it wasn't actually a hard fight. It's just getting past that first thirty seconds that's the problem. Beat him, then actually got summoned for the first time and helped someone else beat him.

Down into the depths. Still getting that tension when you go to a new area, are seeing new enemies, and haven't found a bonfire yet. No real trouble in combat, as my upgraded scimitar still seems to be doing decent damage. Well, no trouble except for
that dang slime thing dropping on my head.

Running around down here, and it looks like the next thing I have to fight is a
gigantic rat
. Found the boss door, decided to explore some more first, found a ring that seems like it's supposed to give HP when you kill something, so I threw that on. Went all around, don't really remember where the boss door is now. lol.

Also successfully defended against an invasion for the first time. Felt good man.

akira28

Dammit, I just need 2 more sunbro tickets so I can finally quit this damn covenant. But all I get are invaders. Why is no one co-oping the damn gaping dragon?!

PatzCU

Just got to O&S for the first time. What in the actual fuck? Managed to take out Ornstein after about 4-5 tries with 5 flask charges left, but couldn't get more than one hit on Smough after 5 flask charges of tries. That fat bastard is a hard target!

Shinjica

I finally got past Capra Demon (actually put the game aside for a bit after banging my head against the wall.) I calmed down, and figured out that once the dogs are down, it wasn't actually a hard fight. It's just getting past that first thirty seconds that's the problem. Beat him, then actually got summoned for the first time and helped someone else beat him.

Down into the depths. Still getting that tension when you go to a new area, are seeing new enemies, and haven't found a bonfire yet. No real trouble in combat, as my upgraded scimitar still seems to be doing decent damage. Well, no trouble except for
that dang slime thing dropping on my head.

Running around down here, and it looks like the next thing I have to fight is a
gigantic rat
. Found the boss door, decided to explore some more first, found a ring that seems like it's supposed to give HP when you kill something, so I threw that on. Went all around, don't really remember where the boss door is now. lol.

Also successfully defended against an invasion for the first time. Felt good man.

His name was Kirk?

Chitown B

Just got to O&S for the first time. What in the actual fuck? Managed to take out Ornstein after about 4-5 tries with 5 flask charges left, but couldn't get more than one hit on Smough after 5 flask charges of tries. That fat bastard is a hard target!

my tips from soloing them just now:

stick to the outside of the room - lock onto Ornstein and just keep backing away in a huge circle. He'll eventually charge you - then roll to dodge, and heavy hit him. Then repeat. Eventually you'll get him. Smough will always be way too far behind him, but if he's a problem get in between a pillar and him when he charges/hits.

Once you're down to Smough, just keep back away until starts to swing, then roll into his body - he hits wide, not close. Take a hard swing and then back off. Rinse, repeat. Just watch for him electric butt slam and run away.

ArynCrinn

Banned

Nah, O&S are relatively easy once you figure how to control the randomness in the first part of that battle. Here's my SL4 Hunter kill.

Now play close attention to the reason I roll backwards rather than to the side when Smough does his downward hammer smash. It's because a good amount of the time (especially on the slower R2 attacks) you'll catch him just as he's jumping backwards, giving you that crit damage bonus. Easy with the Great Scythe since it's got a slow wind up to the R2.

Another way to do it, which is my new way if I'm using the Reinforced Club or Club, is stay sort of close to him and roll to the side when he does the downward hammer smash. This will allow you to immediately unload at least two or three R1's with a possibility of a stagger, then go for a R2 once you've staggered him. That's the no upgrades, no healing Reinforced Club strat anyway. Otherwise you might as well go for a R2 everytime you roll to the side to dodge the downward smash attack, which can occasionally stagger him but only if he spams it again and again, which might not happen. And just immediately roll to the side if your close to him when he starts a charge attack (which you can easily punish and get a stagger due to his recovery on that), or just backwards if he's a distance from you.

Mistel

Banned
Such a weird game. Something that is such a huge piece of the game squirreled away in a chest you don't ever have to actually get near.
I've like been right near it every single time I've been to the depths and I never thought to look. Well now Mr lautrec has broke the bonfire it's not a long walk from undead parish for it.

Well, Anor Londo was going quite swimmingly until
I ran into the two freaking archers. Geez, how horrible. I managed to get through killing the large knights and gargoyles and white cloaked guys no problem, but these archers have halted my progress entirely. I'm going to have to take a long, hard look at my inventory and see if there is anything at all I can do to get past them.

Also, this place is a freaking nightmare for people who have a fear of heights. My palms have been sweaty the whole time, haha

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Well, Anor Londo was going quite swimmingly until
I ran into the two freaking archers. Geez, how horrible. I managed to get through killing the large knights and gargoyles and white cloaked guys no problem, but these archers have halted my progress entirely. I'm going to have to take a long, hard look at my inventory and see if there is anything at all I can do to get past them.

Also, this place is a freaking nightmare for people who have a fear of heights. My palms have been sweaty the whole time, haha

Your best bet is to run up to the first tower, take a breather, run up to the top and head for the right hand one first and boot him off the edge. The left guy won't be able to hit you whilst you're dealing with the right guy.

Take a decent shield and some light to medium armour. Make sure you don't stop whilst running up or they'll knock you off. Even a gentle jog should be enough to avoid their shots.

It'll take you a few tries.

akira28

Eh? Kill the boss yourself before you stat putting your sign down lol.

I didn't know I could do that...

But I got it. Finally. And ditched them and joined the Gravelords. Now I can get some sleep.

(I'll probably never get up to 30 Faith to use the damn Greater Sunlight Spear anyway.)

Garcia

TIL: The sound that the slimes make when you hit them comes straight from Kings Field (Kings Field II Jap). Been playing it lately and there's quite a few mobs brought straight from there.

xenist

Haha Capra Demon how did you like eating shit?

Productive day. Butterfly, Havel and Capra Demon. Not bad, if I may say so. I also killed that gold guy in the church and took his ring. With his ring, Havel's and the points I put in endurance I'm like a fucking heavy armor and shield wearing Energizer bunny.

Haha Capra Demon how did you like eating shit?

Productive day. Butterfly, Havel and Capra Demon. Not bad, if I may say so. I also killed that gold guy in the church and took his ring. With his ring, Havel's and the points I put in endurance I'm like a fucking heavy armor and shield wearing Energizer bunny.
:(

Top Bottom